Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

Somehow I expected better than a cliche gender stereotype punchline.

It's Holbrook. [GENDER] has [CHARACTERISTIC].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set knows quality replicas when they see them.

Working Daze swings back into Dilbert Humor mode.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

"Pastis." :3:

The fat kid may be lazy, but you have to admit, there's not much point to paddling when you not even in sight of land anyway.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Pearls Before Swine may not be the best comic in the papers, but Stephan Pastis must be an absolute blast to hang out with, just going by the sheer number of callouts he gets from other comic strip artists. Maybe he has some sort of Secret Dog Comix that we don't know about.

Pooch Café

There's more romantic imagery between dog and food in this comic than I'm comfortable with. Seriously, it's like once every couple of months.

Ballard Street

New character page added to the Ballard Dog wiki.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Thurber. A new name to me, but apparently a noted cartoonist with the New Yorker.

Known for his dogs!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

quote:

Thurber had a great love of dogs, of all shapes and sizes. He even dedicated Is Sex Necessary? to two of his favorite terriers! Thurber included dogs in many of his drawings, saying that the dogs represent balance, serenity, and is a “sound creature in a crazy world.”

Checks out.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Oh yeah, James Thurber. He was a playwright as well.

Thurber was also mostly blind, stemming from his childhood accident when an arrow poked out one of his eyes. He drew his (rather crudely drawn) cartoons on a real large paper to compensate for his failing eyesight. When his eyesight got real bad, he drew on a black paper with white chalk, which was then reversed for publication.

He had to stop when he went completely blind. He started focusing on writing plays after that.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 4, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Mister Beeg posted:

He had to stop when he went completely blind. He started focusing on writing plays after that.

Well, he wasn't really focusing on anything at that point, was he?

(he was also an essayist and short story author, and one of my favorites as a kid)

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Pearls Before Swine may not be the best comic in the papers, but Stephan Pastis must be an absolute blast to hang out with, just going by the sheer number of callouts he gets from other comic strip artists. Maybe he has some sort of Secret Dog Comix that we don't know about.

Every time I've seen or heard him interviewed he comes across as somebody with a real, deep, genuine love of the medium. He's well informed, very thoughtful, and quite honest about the industry without being disrespectful to his contemporaries. That's a tricky balance, and he's been syndicated for a long time now without getting weird and bitter. Seems like a cool guy.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Mister Beeg posted:

Oh yeah, James Thurber. He was a playwright as well.

Thurber was also mostly blind, stemming from his childhood accident when an arrow poked out one of his eyes. He drew his (rather crudely drawn) cartoons on a real large paper to compensate for his failing eyesight. When his eyesight got real bad, he drew on a black paper with white chalk, which was then reversed for publication.

I thought the name sounded familiar, he wrote "The Catbird Seat" which was a great story.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
When Thurber worked at the New Yorker in the 30s he drew all over his office wall. When the New Yorker moved its offices from 43rd (across from the Algonquin) to the Conde Nast building, they took the wall with them.

Find a copy of The Thurber Carnival when you can. The man was a wonderful writer and his dog cartoons the best.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Howard Beale posted:

When Thurber worked at the New Yorker in the 30s he drew all over his office wall. When the New Yorker moved its offices from 43rd (across from the Algonquin) to the Conde Nast building, they took the wall with them.

Speaking of New Yorkers and walls, here's JOHN DARLING!!!

When we last left John Darling, he was in New York City, up against a wall, being robbed at knifepoint. This continues today... but not tomorrow. I don't know if the syndicate told Batiuk & Armstrong that the Violent Crime arc was getting depressing or what, but from what I can tell, this particular arc was never revisited. (Today, of course, John would have constant PTSD every time he saw someone use cutlery.)

Punchline of today's strip: John is vain.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

I assume that the bits where the crow overlaps the dialogue represents it cawing like a batshit animal right?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Waitaminute... 1980's New York? I know that guy!

Ted Rall

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

What I'm learning from these John Darlings and Classic Funkys is that the strip where John Darling got shot had literally the only funny joke Batiuk ever wrote.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

Am I the only one who thinks these guys sound like jerks?

It's All Right Chief Dharma

I don't get how people bite their nails off. Like physically. My teeth aren't sharp enough somehow.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Tit. Jizz cap. Tits.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

James Thurber also wrote "The 13 Clocks and The Wonderful O," a pair of short stories supposedly for children in the same way that Moomin is supposedly for children. It's illustrated by Ronald Searle, who has been mentioned before around here as the guy whose art influenced Richard Thompson. Most every goon who enjoys this megathread would love this book. It has lines like "He had an indescribable hat and a short, dark, describable beard." And then Searle provides a perfect, detailed illustration of the indescribable hat and it is still indescribable.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I was a stage hand for a production of 13 Clocks once. I never saw it all, but it seemed quirky.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

The illustrations were what really did it for me, as a little kid. I can't even imagine the book without the illustrations, or the book as a play or anything. Unless everybody in the play looked like a Ronald Searle drawing.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County gets dark.

Calvin And Hobbes make do.

Ripley's

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I'll have to check him out again. I know I read one of his collections but the main thing I remember is that he mentioned his crazy aunt who thought the Germans were piping gas under door at night. I seem to recall an illustration but I couldn't say if it was this Searle dude or not.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The mad gasser of Matoon?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
I always find it hilarious that Inspector Danger would often have victim trying to spell out the culprit's name in some fashion. I know it's a stupid comic strip and all, but were there any real-life instances of murder victims doing that before dying?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (November 6, 1956)

The night of November 6th gave us the inevitable Eisenhower victory lap. As we found out a few months ago, this was a rematch against Adlai Stevenson, the same Democrat he trounced in '52. Round two went to Ike, only more so. It was the last time a presidential race was a rematch of a previous one.

Peanuts: Year One: Here's where Schroeder really begins. (September 24-26, 1951)

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

EasyEW posted:

And now, the moment of truth...

I wish I could follow this, is there a place where all of the comics are chronological so I can follow what's going on? I don't know who that is with the teacher. :(

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

For real, by the time everybody started talking about how amazing the cowboy storyline is it was already too fargone for any of the rest of us to be able to coherently follow along.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

But who's the fourth suspect? :psyduck:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ZeeToo posted:

But who's the fourth suspect? :psyduck:

The actual murderer.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Thurber was a major force in the Algonquian Round Table and wrote a ton of great stuff. Let Your Mind Alone! was something I read a lot as a teenager.

I don't like that Ruthie grew up to be an obnoxious goth.

Pickles: Is it possible to stir-fry meat without cutting it up?

Bleeker: And can Skip have some if it is possible?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

Today's Dustin was yet another boring sweater joke so in honor of Election Day I'm reposting this old one to remind everyone what an awful person Steve Kelley is.

On the Fastrack

How do these people afford these huge houses living by themselves?

Safe Havens

One day Samantha will walk into her room and find her menagerie of horrible experiments in an all out brawl.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

This is literally the second time they've done this bit and, honestly, we are better for it. :allears:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

fondue posted:

I wish I could follow this, is there a place where all of the comics are chronological so I can follow what's going on? I don't know who that is with the teacher. :(

Some Guy TT posted:

For real, by the time everybody started talking about how amazing the cowboy storyline is it was already too fargone for any of the rest of us to be able to coherently follow along.

It's not impossible, but it'd take some thoughtful editing since the story of Miss Vance and cowboys, like pretty much everything else in Out Our Way, wasn't told so much as it kind of accumulated like the rock slide from Seven Chances.

Skippy (August 31, 1927)

Peanuts (November 8, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (December 30-31, 1925)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SomeMathGuy posted:

This is literally the second time they've done this bit and, honestly, we are better for it. :allears:
I'm sure Mandrake's Dad could have remembered to just put an upper double digits number on it the first time but he's loving with them on purpose.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mister Beeg posted:

I always find it hilarious that Inspector Danger would often have victim trying to spell out the culprit's name in some fashion. I know it's a stupid comic strip and all, but were there any real-life instances of murder victims doing that before dying?

Well there's always that one historical reenactment by MP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlIz0q8aWpA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Mister Beeg posted:

Victims spelling out the culprit's name happens all the time in murder mysteries/dramas. It's hardly an Inspector Danger thing.

• Locked thread