Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Anyone else having a problem with the screen going black when something stomps? Like Monstro and Mom, the screen just goes black when they hit the ground, UI and such is still up but everything else is gone. And whatever Mom's Heart does in the game now is a mystery to me because the screen was black for 90% of the fight. On playing on the Mac version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penvellyn
Jul 30, 2014

Logan 5 posted:

I did just kill a rainbow colored poop in a big room though, and an image of a rainbow popped up briefly, but I didnt notice anything else. What's up with that?

When I've broken them open I've noticed that it fully healed me but I'm not sure if anything else is tied to it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Did my first success playthrough on the Vita version, and it runs really well. Very impress with the sync option for the PS4, as I continued my save from the PS4 I quit out of and took it to the Vita after about ten seconds of syncing. Shame the game still seems to give you pagrant boy a lot after bosses, even through I am curious if it got some changes to it beside giving you money when you find it.

Man, almost got Lazarus, but kept getting some cheap hit before I could get four soul hearts.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
My brother was nice enough to lend me his xbox controller, so I tried using that instead of mouse/keyboard (since mouse isn't available). It's certainly different, and it took me about 4 runs to get used to it, but it wasn't too bad. Still prefer mouse/keyboard, though.

I didn't unlock Cain despite getting 99 cents in a single run (no idea why) but I got Lazarus, Azazel, and Eden. First run as Eden I died on Basement 1, confirming for me that he works kinda like ??? from the original BoI: if you lose all your spirit hearts, even if you have an eternal heart, you're dead. No more going hard on devil rooms for Eden.

Still haven't got any good synergy/combo items yet, which is super annoying, especially seeing everyone posting their insane screenshots. In fact I don't think I've gotten anything more interesting than Infestation 2, which isn't that interesting at all.

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 5, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Once I beat Mom, do I need to play Hard mode to go further?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Once I beat Mom, do I need to play Hard mode to go further?

Nope.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Cool.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Is the lack of mouse support intentional? I really don't like that my only options for proper control now is to buy a controller or buy a new keyboard that has better support for multiple simultaneous keypresses.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
There's an item stuck between those stone blocks, anything I can do to get to it?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Reinstalling the game didn't fix my "nothing saves" bug, and there's no information about it anywhere online. I am out of ideas aside from just waiting for the next patch. :shrug:

I fixed it by deleting the 3 save files in My Documents\my games\binding of Isaac rebirth, and then getting Steam to validate the game files. Seems like maybe the saves get corrupted, and uninstalling may well not remove them.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

There's an item stuck between those stone blocks, anything I can do to get to it?

Have a boomerang/flight/jump.

Loot
Apr 3, 2013

119-242 Text Count
+59 Contribution Score
+5.9% Cold Resistance

6.7% chance of shitposting
Fires rockets instead of bullets!

Kurtofan posted:

Are they stone or metal? There were some rooms designed to put unbreakable metal blocks around predetermined items like Black Hearts that sometimes spawn as regular stone instead.

Kind of a weird tactic they used for room generation.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Kurtofan posted:

If it's a bomb, it'll explode if it's hit by an explosion. Or if it's destroyed in some other way, like with Notched Pickaxe or Thunder Thighs. I have yet to find a way to extract the bomb without detonating it, if that's even at all possible, but they can be quite fun to muck around with for chain detonations and so forth.

Unless you mean it's an item surrounded by impassable terrain, in which case you can't get to it without bypassing the terrain, either through bombs, the ladder, or flying (whichever is applicable).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Brother Entropy posted:

Have a boomerang/flight/jump.

Kind of bullshit to put one of those on the first floor then :(

Loot posted:

Are they stone or metal? There were some rooms designed to put unbreakable metal blocks around predetermined items like Black Hearts that sometimes spawn as regular stone instead.

Kind of a weird tactic they used for room generation.

The item in question is a bent spoon, so yeah kind of unfair.

they definitely look metal.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Penvellyn posted:

When I've broken them open I've noticed that it fully healed me but I'm not sure if anything else is tied to it.

Ah, that might've been it, I had full health already.

I just beat Mom's Heart 1st time I got to her. I'm not entirely sure what I had, but I know it was double shot, homing, fear, pentagram, the mark, money=power with 60 pennies, near max tears, and a buddy that spat out friendly blue spiders constantly. It died in less than 15 seconds :devil:

e: also unlocked azazel that run

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Kind of bullshit to put one of those on the first floor then :(

You'll get used to it. Some runs you get poo poo luck and miss out on stuff it's impossible for you to get with where you're at, other runs every amazing item will fall in your lap and beg to be used.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

How do I get good. I got platinum god in normal BoI but started up Rebirth like 2 years later and nearly dying on the first floor.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Holy poo poo, the Goat Head is pretty loving rad if you get it early on. Its effect is that it makes a Devil Room appear on -every floor- after you get it. Can you say guaranteed Sheol run?

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Holy poo poo, the Goat Head is pretty loving rad if you get it early on. Its effect is that it makes a Devil Room appear on -every floor- after you get it. Can you say guaranteed Sheol run?

Thank you I was literally just ctrl+f'ing the pages I missed to make sure I didnt miss what it did before making a post asking what it did. THAT explains why my first run went so well!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Just a random tip if you're new to the game or have been away for long, if a small rock has an "x" somewhere on its surface, blowing it up will net you a couple of goodies (often a soul heart or two).

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Got my first mom kill. Had an awesome assortment of powerups, where my tears were zig zagging and shrinking as they got further from me, and I got infestation 2 again, which there are some enemies that does absurd things to (try using it on Pin some time). I also had the devil beggar in the very first treasure room. He really is awesome.

Also, I got a new familiar I haven't seen mentioned here. It's called the Scape Goat, and is a pet Mulligan that wanders around the room at random crying, and distracting the enemies about half the time. After I got him, my boss list was Peep, Fatboy, DOUBLEHEADER Fatboy (Two of them in an extra wide room) and mom. All of them rely on chasing you down. Instead they would chase my little buddy (who also works as a moving shield too) and me and the spider guild would make short work of them.

I've noticed a weird bug in my copy--it gets choppy a lot when major screen changes happen, like Monstro's ground pounds. But only in windowed mode. It has no problems in full screen.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
So I entered some room with a dice thingie on it of a six. I stepped into the middle of it and it said something about YOU HAVE BECOME THE LORD OF FLIES and I turned into some freakish bug man with a bazillion different fly related powerups and spat teeth and huge blood tears. Very neato, though I have no idea what the hell I just did

Easily beat Mom with all of that though

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Had my first mom kill after five dud runs. Nothing fancy, I just became a flying machinegun of ghostly death. I spewed like crazy thanks to a pill the big mushroom and the odd mushroom, I then took spooky(?)(flying+ghost tears?) and the pentagram from the devil room.
Coasted to victory with 2 reds and 7 blues.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

^^^ Spooky! Is Spirit of the Night, I think.

Are blue/x rocks in this one? I haven't seen a single one yet and I've done a bunch of runs.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Definitely XRocks the spot here. You haven't adjusted to seeing them yet.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Any chance of a screenshot? Maybe I just don't know what to look for this time around.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Beat Mom on the first run with Isaac. Not so lucky with Cain.

What does it mean if there's a big yellow star on one of the large rooms? I cleared one out and there were no items left as far as I could tell.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
X rocks seem like they're a lot more rare this version than the last. I see a lot of bomb-in-a-rocks though, which seem like they're basically just a small step safer than tnt barrels.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Just a head-up I don't know if it's been mentioned but Monstro's lung is bugged to hell and certain item combinations will basically end your game by making it impossible or near impossible to shoot. I had to re-start because I picked up an item somewhere and it took over 10+ seconds for my shot to charge. I would avoid it if possible for the time being.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
This is the best room in the whole game. Especially with taurus/unicorn horn.

Also, first Guppy run! :toot:

Still just as good. Now for the other transformations, whatever they are.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
So far I think this game is fantastic. They really outdid themselves on this one, I'm amazed by the amount of content I am seeing. And WOW what in god's name was that mega boss room I just did after the Mom fight??? Unbelievable!! They never stopped coming!! Until they did. :D

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Soy Milk is a pretty interesting upgrade, I'm sure there's some stuff it's broken as a combo with (Polyphemus, etc.) but holy poo poo is it terrible on its own.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Head Trauma challenge is loving horrible. Aiming your shots is a bitch and you have neither dps nor single hit damage.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Follow-up to this: literally every Devil Room after that point had devil deals in it. So I think that's what it does too.

Also, if you die before opening a Big Chest at the end of a run, it apparently doesn't give you the ordered unlock. Poo. :(

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

I've noticed a weird bug in my copy--it gets choppy a lot when major screen changes happen, like Monstro's ground pounds. But only in windowed mode. It has no problems in full screen.

That's to be expected, actually! In fullscreen, your computer's rendering the game and only the game. In windowed, it's rendering the game and any other windows you might have open.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

dis astranagant posted:

The Head Trauma challenge is loving horrible. Aiming your shots is a bitch and you have neither dps nor single hit damage.

I lucked out big time and got the detonator plus Pyro which let me fight the whole run using bombs.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

What the gently caress does mom's toenail do?

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
There's some item combinations in this game that can make your playthrough downright miserable. Since I don't know what everything does yet I'm pretty much picking up most stuff. I got an item that basically just turned my tears into one big tear that I had to move around to hit things. That was doable, but then I got one that also turned it into an orbital so I was constantly fighting with the automatic orbit trying to get it to aim where I wanted it to.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Comrade Flynn posted:

What the gently caress does mom's toenail do?

Random momstomps about once a room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Mom's Heart down :D