Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Dr. Dinosaur is amazing and I will never be able to get enough of him. He is one of the perfect comic book characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

rantmo posted:

Dr. Dinosaur is amazing and I will never be able to get enough of him. He is one of the perfect comic book characters.
You think this because...

Gaz-L posted:

(PS Dr Dinosaur rules, but only in small doses)
...this is correct.

Everyone wants Wolverine and Deadpool in every issue of every comic until it happens. We have chosen to cultivate your long term joy instead of your short term dollars.

quote:

And 7 does a fantastic job building up the She-Devils as both a group and as individual characters, such that some of the more tragic emotional beats land properly. It's a little sad that I can probably name more of them than I can the women at Tesladyne, though. I know there's the red haired gal and the stockier Asian lady that usually goes on field missions, but their names are barely used, and the downside of them being 'regular' parts of Robo's life, means we spend less time with them in focus. To be fair, this goes for most of the crew, but Bernie (nebbishly rocks guy), Vik (imaginary physics dude), Gerry (hippie-looking nuke guy), Martin & Louis (evil computer dorks) and Jenkins (Jenkins) all have distinct bits of focus that at least let me tie a name and a trait to the character designs.
That's a fine point. We usually write Action Scientists as AS #1, AS #2, AS #3 in the script and then Scott draws whomever he wants. Then I go back and adjust the lines accordingly. This is actually how Lang got her brusque personality, and how Ada got to be a tech head, and why Bernie is the worst Action Scientist possible, and why Vik is into weird theories. They were in the right place in the right panels to "absorb" lines of dialog leaning in those directions. We've just let them run with it ever since.

On the bright side, Lang and a "new" girl get a lot of screen time in Vol 10. And Vol 11 should bring back Helen/Nightingale as a major character a few years after the events of Vol 5. And we're gunning pretty hard for a volume of Real Science Adventures all about the She-Devils on their first big adventure after WW2. So, our representation track record isn't the best, but we're aware of it and we're working on it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ooh, maybe the 40s Sparrow and her spy friend can team up with the She-Devils?

And cool news about the upcoming stories. :) I wasn't meaning my post as any kind of call out, just that it would've been neat if the more regular lady characters were as distinct and front-and-centre as the Devils. I'm also weirdly fascinated with who the lady with Robo in the Sagan issue of Vol.3 is. I got the impression she's his at-the-time SO? Any chance of more disco-Robo era stories to get more into that?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Gaz-L posted:

Ooh, maybe the 40s Sparrow and her spy friend can team up with the She-Devils?
Naw, timeline's all wrong. By the time the She-Devils become A Thing, Sparrow is already transforming what The Sparrow does. What she saw in WW2 convinced her that a lone agent isn't enough anymore, and her post war years are spent transitioning The Sparrow from a lone agent into a James Bond-like super agent with tons of logistical support. This is why the Sparrow of 2012, her grandson, looks a bit like Daniel Craig.

quote:

And cool news about the upcoming stories. :) I wasn't meaning my post as any kind of call out, just that it would've been neat if the more regular lady characters were as distinct and front-and-centre as the Devils.
Oh, I didn't take it as any sort of call out. Representation of non-white guy characters is important to us and we like to be as transparent about the topic as possible. I like to point out where we screw it up in case someone else can learn from our missteps. I'm still on the fence about Vol 9. We basically had to choose between Bass Reeves and Annie Oakley. I went with Bass since everyone already knows about Annie and we've already done stories with her in them -- with more on the way! Still, it would've been nice to have a woman lead in there.

quote:

I'm also weirdly fascinated with who the lady with Robo in the Sagan issue of Vol.3 is. I got the impression she's his at-the-time SO? Any chance of more disco-Robo era stories to get more into that?
I'm not sure we've made up our minds about her, but we'll definitely see more of Robo in the '70s. We have a whole volume that's our love letter to blaxploitation movies / Shaw Brothers movies / '70s heist movies. That'll be no earlier than Volume 13 though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yessss just got my shipping notification for my Field Guide and mug! :dance:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Got all my stuff yesterday! Thanks guys.

Edit: Tons of bonus stuff. You guys rock.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 31, 2014

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Glad to see packages getting out into the world!

Some folks shared pictures of their hauls online and, uh, wow. I did not realize there was so much stuff. Turns out delivering a dozen objects to thousands of people is super difficult.

Our next campaign will be much more focused for speedier delivery. Most of the work for it is already done :ssh:

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

I'm still waiting for my shipping notice, but eh, I have the latest comic to tide me over. Great arc, as always, Robo Crew. You guys are the only comic these days that I buy week of release, sight unseen.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I got my everything yesterday. Still trying to find my name in the field guide. I've probably overlooked it quite a few times now. I also need to get a frame for my certificate. Gonna hang that poo poo at work so the kids at my day care think I'm super goddamn awesome.

I wish I could get Robo for the reading corner but I'm fairly positive the fact Robo uses a gun would make it inappropriate :(

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

Glad to see packages getting out into the world!

Some folks shared pictures of their hauls online and, uh, wow. I did not realize there was so much stuff. Turns out delivering a dozen objects to thousands of people is super difficult.

Our next campaign will be much more focused for speedier delivery. Most of the work for it is already done :ssh:

I haven't gotten anything from this campaign yet, and I'd still give you money on the next one.

I think I have a spending problem.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I haven't gotten anything from this campaign yet, and I'd still give you money on the next one.

The only Atomic Robo purchase I regret is the iOS game. Because it wouldn't run on my iPod even though I met the minimum requirements and now it's disappeared from the iTunes store. The developers have gone silent as to why it's gone away. At least it was only 99 cents :smith:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Len posted:

I got my everything yesterday. Still trying to find my name in the field guide. I've probably overlooked it quite a few times now. I also need to get a frame for my certificate. Gonna hang that poo poo at work so the kids at my day care think I'm super goddamn awesome.

I wish I could get Robo for the reading corner but I'm fairly positive the fact Robo uses a gun would make it inappropriate :(

You can use the find function in the PDF to find your name.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Jedi425 posted:

I'm still waiting for my shipping notice, but eh, I have the latest comic to tide me over. Great arc, as always, Robo Crew. You guys are the only comic these days that I buy week of release, sight unseen.
All I can say is: it's comin'! We are so far removed from the shipping and handling that I can barely speculate about what's being sent and when and why. I know some of our labcoat tiers are being delayed until November, but I should write up an official update about that over the weekend.

In the meantime, I'm glad we've secured your loyalty despite our delivery hiccups. But, hey, lessons learned, etc.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Yes, you do, but I like it. Our next project isn't related to Robo, so that might help you. Then again, it's the sort of thing 95% of all Robo fans should be interested in anyway. You may be boned regardless!

Len posted:

The only Atomic Robo purchase I regret is the iOS game. Because it wouldn't run on my iPod even though I met the minimum requirements and now it's disappeared from the iTunes store. The developers have gone silent as to why it's gone away. At least it was only 99 cents :smith:
I feel like those guys had a similar problem to our own, i.e. the Kickstarter was TOO successful. The only difference is that Scott and I planned everything around a Worst Case Scenario so that NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENED you guys would get your stuff. And it's a good thing we did, because a lot of Worst Case Scenarios popped up along the way.

And, looking back at The Fictory's campaign, and then our own, and then juggling the logistics of ours, I think they messed up on their campaign by having a less guarded position. They ran into production bottlenecks that caused delays that caused more bottlenecks, more delays, etc. I'm not even upset at them about it, because I've seen it happen to a couple dozen campaigns. It happened to us too for just a few months even though we'd specifically structured things to avoid that exact problem.

I've got a lot of sympathy for anyone who runs a campaign. There are hundreds to thousands of expectations to juggle. Meanwhile, reality is a harsh mistress and no one wants to hear from her.

sporklift posted:

You can use the find function in the PDF to find your name.
Among the lessons learned: alphabet-drat-ize the list of backers from now on.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

Yes, you do, but I like it. Our next project isn't related to Robo, so that might help you. Then again, it's the sort of thing 95% of all Robo fans should be interested in anyway. You may be boned regardless!

Given I've been following you since shortly after 8-Bit Theater started, and I don't even remember how long ago that was, there's a very good chance I'm boned regardless.

Speaking of comics, I should go catch up on those...

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Speaking of comics, have you seen this Hyperactive?

You're not the only cartoonist with Bass Reeves on his mind.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My stuff arrived today!

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
So mad that I missed this kickstarter. :argh:

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Evil Mastermind posted:

My stuff arrived today!

Did you get a message about shipping from kickstarter or was it a different email? Just wondering if I need to be checking spam filters.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BooDoug187 posted:

Did you get a message about shipping from kickstarter or was it a different email? Just wondering if I need to be checking spam filters.

It was an email from noreply@tesladynelabs.com.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Robo should really work on getting their domain whitelisted.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Evil Mastermind posted:

My stuff arrived today!

One wonders why you'd put the Nerd Book Shelf in the background yet go out of your way to not include the best Nerd Book of them all, the Atomic Robo RPG.

Gaz-L posted:

Robo should really work on getting their domain whitelisted.
I didn't even know they were using our domain! Also, I should update that drat site.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hyperactive posted:

One wonders why you'd put the Nerd Book Shelf in the background yet go out of your way to not include the best Nerd Book of them all, the Atomic Robo RPG.

I didn't even know they were using our domain! Also, I should update that drat site.

Because it's on the next shelf up on the "coolest gaming stuff" shelf.

And it's not my only nerd bookshelf.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hyperactive posted:

You mean... it's not from the real Tesladyne? :saddowns:

(Yeah, my joke was pretty crummy.)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 7, 2014

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I want to buy the Robo RPG but between me no having anyone to play it with and my incredibly bad play test of it two years ago I just haven't got around to picking it up.

Is it full of fun Robo setting fluff?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Len posted:

I want to buy the Robo RPG but between me no having anyone to play it with and my incredibly bad play test of it two years ago I just haven't got around to picking it up.

Yes. There's a full timeline, stats for pretty much everyone, and it uses pages from the comic to explain the rules in detail.

And yes, you can play a dinosaur.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hyperactive where the heck are the Robo oversized hardcovers already!?!

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Rhyno posted:

Hyperactive where the heck are the Robo oversized hardcovers already!?!
We are definitely doing them in 2015. Stay tuned.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

We are definitely doing them in 2015. Stay tuned.

Oh awesome!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Is there someone I can contact if I haven't got my shipping e-mail yet? I'm still checking my mail in case it came in my spam and got deleted, but so far I haven't seen anything from them.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

J.A.B.C. posted:

Is there someone I can contact if I haven't got my shipping e-mail yet? I'm still checking my mail in case it came in my spam and got deleted, but so far I haven't seen anything from them.
Lots of things haven't shipped yet, so I wouldn't worry too much.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Hyperactive posted:

Lots of things haven't shipped yet, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Cool, good to know. Will make sure to put that email addy on my "do not block" list.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Len posted:

You can always run it online. There's been a number of Play-by-Post games in Traditional Games using the setting and/or rules.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Cabbit posted:

You can always run it online. There's been a number of Play-by-Post games in Traditional Games using the setting and/or rules.

If someone does this, please let us know in the thread. I'm going to buy it, but finding someone to play it (Or any tabletop) has been a pain at my current post.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 8, 2014

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Call me biased, but the Robo RPG is a solid buy even if you never play the game. It's packed with setting info that's been hinted at but not (yet) explored in the comics. I am not kidding when I say we got paid to write our series bible.

First supplement should be out in early 2015. It's all about Majestic 12 and it reeeeeeeeeaaally makes me want to do spin off comic series about them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

J.A.B.C. posted:

If someone does this, please let us know in the thread. I'm going to buy it, but finding someone to play it (Or any tabletop) has been a pain at my current post.

I'd be interested in a pbp for it too of someone wanted to start one.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Reminds me that I need to update my own Robo PBP. :(

Hyperactive posted:

Call me biased, but the Robo RPG is a solid buy even if you never play the game. It's packed with setting info that's been hinted at but not (yet) explored in the comics. I am not kidding when I say we got paid to write our series bible.

The timeline and the new setting material - Project Daedalus, in particular - provided a lot of inspiration for my game! Love it!

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

TurninTrix posted:

Reminds me that I need to update my own Robo PBP. :(

The timeline and the new setting material - Project Daedalus, in particular - provided a lot of inspiration for my game! Love it!
Cool!

Spoiler alert: we're going to see a lot more of Daedalus in the future.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Len posted:

I'd be interested in a pbp for it too of someone wanted to start one.

To be honest I considered it but I've never had good luck with PBPs, and I feel like I wouldn't do the setting justice and that'd just be awkward with Hyperactive being around and all.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

To be honest I considered it but I've never had good luck with PBPs, and I feel like I wouldn't do the setting justice and that'd just be awkward with Hyperactive being around and all.

If you don't include (almost) rape you're doing 100% better than the betatest session I attended.

Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I...I don't...Why would you do that? What the gently caress is wrong with people? This is why we can't have nice things.

• Locked thread