Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Wow Jeph Loeb looks like an actor that's in everything, but I can't put my finger on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Todd McFarlane was being interviewed and made positive comments about Marvel. What in the world?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

Todd McFarlane was being interviewed and made positive comments about Marvel. What in the world?

He's probably getting a bunch of money for using his Daredevil stuff.

Oh nice that Agent Carter promo we did not see in Canada.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Better bring up Jack Kirby :argh:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

achillesforever6 posted:

Better bring up Jack Kirby :argh:

Your wish is their command.

No mention of Ka-zar.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

"Sometimes the best man for the job... is a woman!"

Are you loving for real? That was so corny.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

He's probably getting a bunch of money for using his Daredevil stuff.

McFarlane had nothing to do with Daredevil.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

For a moment I was thinking of Miller.

If You can ever find a copy, Seduction of the Innocent is hilarious.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

achillesforever6 posted:

Wow Jeph Loeb looks like an actor that's in everything, but I can't put my finger on it.

He kinda looks like half the rapists on L&O:SVU.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Ah the Comics Code Authority

Just look up all the rules and laugh

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
God drat I missed the name of some of these guys. Who's the really old guy with the mustache and the guy with the amazing toupee?

achillesforever6 posted:

Ah the Comics Code Authority

Just look up all the rules and laugh

The book I have on Mad Magazine said "Comics ceased to be a creative medium for the rest of the decade" after it was introduced. Also, the guy who wrote Seduction of the Innocent which started the whole thing, though the new rules were insane, "murder looked like a game!" he said.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Man, even Jim Shooter? They really got people who they aren't on the best of terms with for this.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Correct, he did the awesome run on Spider-Man with the coolest versions of Venom (at least I thought so as a kid). After the poo poo he pulled with Neil Gaimen over Angela he lost all credibility regarding his Marvel bitchfest.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Man, even Jim Shooter? They really got people who they aren't on the best of terms with for this.
Jim Shooter has a pretty cool story about how he got in the business too

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Too bad no one bought the Xmen at this time!

Ah! It's Jim Steranko with the marvelous topper. Yea, that's pretty much what I would expect him to look like.

loving hell, I cannot see who anyone is because of the giant election results along the bottom of my screen.

Who was the young woman?

Solaris Knight posted:

Ms. Marvel's editor looks like she could cosplay Kamala.

I figure thats who I was asking about, and yea, she looks like Kamala, age 25. Now I'm hoping to see Kelly-Sue.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 5, 2014

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Ms. Marvel's editor looks like she could cosplay Kamala.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It's really remarkable to hear a history of comics where DC doesn't exist at all.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

It's really remarkable to hear a history of comics where DC doesn't exist at all.
Maybe they can't bring them up for legal reasons? I don't know

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Are you implying DC wouldn't do the same?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

achillesforever6 posted:

Maybe they can't bring them up for legal reasons? I don't know
No, they went mumblemumble someone made Superman mumblemumble, it's just very obvious (but very funny) refusing to acknowlege the competition and any impact on the industry they had.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Show clips of the bad movies, you cowards!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Show clips of the bad movies, you cowards!
I want Reb Brown screaming drat it!!!!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Lets just skip Avengers #200 there Jim.

Only 40 mins in and they mention DC.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

So what caused Jim Shooter to be disliked by Marvel?

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

I'm glad they glossed over the 90's like that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Solaris Knight posted:

I'm glad they glossed over the 90's like that.

And then we hired a guy who didn't know how to draw feet.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I'm curious to see just how they're going to deal with why Marvel went bankrupt.

If you don't know: hubris on a grand scale, they started buying up toy manufacturers and comics distributors and I think a movie studio, basically wanting to own every aspect of anyone making money off their characters, and then getting multiple-hosed by the crash because they were overinvested in every last shred of it.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

I really hope they mention Kamala again, especially since she's basically their new Spider-Man since they shat all over the old one.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Solaris Knight posted:

I really hope they mention Kamala again, especially since she's basically their new Spider-Man since they shat all over the old one.
Miles is still kickin'-rad, though?

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Miles is still kickin'-rad, though?

The old one meaning Peter. The one who's been miswritten into ironic obscurity.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Haha, wow, total "and then we were bankrupt because reasons shut up" timeskip

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Yeah Jeph Loeb you sure know how to write good stories

CapnAndy posted:

Haha, wow, total "and then we were bankrupt because reasons shut up" timeskip
They explained it so much better in that History Channel superhero doc

NO I DON'T CARE ABOUT ELECTION COVERAGE!!!

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

You think they're circlejerking Joe enough? Yeah he saved Marvel but he also wrote OMD.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I think the chronology just went 2005->2001->2008 in quick order there

and now I have to watch stupid loving Tom Corbett give a concession speech, gently caress off, I wanna watch the funny comics special you rear end in a top hat

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Solaris Knight posted:

You think they're circlejerking Joe enough? Yeah he saved Marvel but he also wrote OMD.

I'm fine with the idea of why he did OMD, but holy poo poo the way he did it was godfuck retarded.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

HELL YES YOU PUT KAMALA KHAN ON NATIONAL TV

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

It's funny to think how it feels like just yesterday I read a Iron Man book and it was advertising the movie. How far we've come. :swoon:

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

achillesforever6 posted:

So what caused Jim Shooter to be disliked by Marvel?

Over-interference with writing/art across the entire line. Increasingly weird decisions starting around the time of Secret Wars. Some of the stories from Marvel Comics: the Untold Story make him sound like he was actually mentally ill.

Walter and Louise Simonson (I think) held a party at their house where they burned an effigy of Jim Shooter made of unsold copies of New Universe books.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

SaintFu posted:

Over-interference with writing/art across the entire line. Increasingly weird decisions starting around the time of Secret Wars. Some of the stories from Marvel Comics: the Untold Story make him sound like he was actually mentally ill.

Walter and Louise Simonson (I think) held a party at their house where they burned an effigy of Jim Shooter made of unsold copies of New Universe books.
I also here the reason why the Pitt was centered around Pittsburgh being destroyed was because it was a big gently caress you to Jim who was from Pittsburgh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Hi Howard.

I'm looking forward to Gorgeous Female Spy Adventures Kicking rear end In Boss Red Lipstick.

• Locked thread