Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The Iron Rose posted:

This is bad move since long war is ludicrously tough

Yeah don't play LW right away. The base game is good enough experience and if you play on normal it's fun without being super frustrating. You will also appreciate what LW improves upon

Long War is basically this http://i.imgur.com/2SggXw1.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
This is all under the assumption that the gems are paid for with real money, and not earned in game somehow? I'll wait until this is confirmed before freaking out.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

"You are attempting to grapple onto something over 100m away. Would you like to upgrade your Grapple Length for 100-CosbyCoins?"
"UGHHHH!! This is so loving dumb."
*clicks Okay*

100-CausyCoins*

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ragequit posted:

This is all under the assumption that the gems are paid for with real money, and not earned in game somehow? I'll wait until this is confirmed before freaking out.

The "rent" option aims towards IAP's the shittiest of IAP stuff have been heading in that direction for a while.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Iron Rose posted:

This is bad move since long war is ludicrously tough
Then you don't deserve to enjoy it, Miss The Iron Rose. :colbert:

You play on Normal first. That's the rule.

Haha, I love this gif, but it's nothing like that.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So the new Binding of Isaac is actually really frigging hard now. I'm yet to get past the fourth floor.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ragequit posted:

This is all under the assumption that the gems are paid for with real money, and not earned in game somehow?

That's Avalanche Studios founder and creative director. It is that simple.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

Baller. Guess I won't play it then.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

al-azad posted:

Eh. I highly doubt they're going to put everything in the black market behind a paywall so you're just buying into premium vehicles and poo poo that make no difference because driving is the least interesting thing to do in Just Cause.

This would be WarZ/WhateverItsCalledNow levels of funny if JC3 tricks you into paying real money for a vehicle you proceed to crash in 10 seconds due to the ridiculous driving physics.

I mean, gently caress the idea and all, but that poo poo would be hilarious.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I guess (aside from the renting) it's no different to DLC, but it feels different so fuckit no jc34me

Scalding Coffee posted:

I will be using the Superman mod and forget about the micro.

Because if there's two things publishers love together, it's mods and microtransactions

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Saoshyant posted:

Whelp, sorry Square. I'm going to laugh hard when JC3 crashes and burns now.

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

Testekill posted:

So the new Binding of Isaac is actually really frigging hard now. I'm yet to get past the fourth floor.

Some people were reporting the game difficulty defaulting to Hard when using a controller. Double check on the character select screen. But yeah it's sill harder either way.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

CHOICE COD posted:

Some people were reporting the game difficulty defaulting to Hard when using a controller. Double check on the character select screen. But yeah it's sill harder either way.

You switch between it with up/down and it's really easy to do it on accident when scrolling characters if you use an analog stick.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Saoshyant posted:

so Just Cause 3 will be a F2P MMO with premium subscriptions and microtransactions

y'know

just 'cause

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Testekill posted:

The mom's heart boss is now a bullet hell dodging fest. It's really tough.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

If companies feel the need to include renting or other subscriptions for single-player games then screw them. It is that simple.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I literally beat Mom on my first run in Rebirth, and I was never that good at the original. Either I got super lucky or it's not that much harder.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, I wasn't able to beat the first game without playing on my slow-rear end laptop, but I beat Mom in Rebirth on my third try.

It helps that I got Taurus and a bottle early on, but still. I find it a lot easier with a controller.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I beat her on my first try as well(I've played tons of BoI though), but it really is a lot harder overall. Especially once you start unlocking the harder stuff, or just getting unlucky.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saoshyant posted:

Wow

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
He's not wrong. EA has literally made their business model "Sell F2P games at $60" and they've been making huge profit gains each quarter. They're now as profitable as they were pre-economic collapse. They're almost or actually have caught up to Activision.

Games with no DLC or micro-transaction hooks are going to be nostalgic soon.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

awesmoe posted:

I guess (aside from the renting) it's no different to DLC, but it feels different so fuckit no jc34me

Because if there's two things publishers love together, it's mods and microtransactions

Didn't really stop Bethesda and Valve. Bethesda hasn't adopted microtransactions per se but Valve lets people do whatever the gently caress with their games even while they sell keys and hats.

The silver lining I see, I hope for as a dumb optimist, is something like Epic's take on the new Unreal. Let people make poo poo, even let people monetize it, but give them that choice. It's all conjecture at this point but I seriously doubt this is going to be anything beyond adding flashy vehicles the rich kids can roll around in.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
BoI: Rebirth feels harder than the original one, but the new items - or at least the new starting pool - compensate for that IMO. All of the new familiars I got my hands on are amazing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Saoshyant posted:

It's amazing when CEOs think "EA put microtransactions into Dead Space 3 and Sim City so this is the norm now, it is that simple" and ignore the part where it backfired and hosed those games up.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 5, 2014

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

BoI is prolly easier because the engine isn't poo poo anymore.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Palpek posted:

It's amazing when CEOs think "EA put microtransactions into Dead Space 3 and Sim City so this is the norm now, it is that simple" and ignore the part where it backfired and hosed those games up.

EA stated that their recent Dungeon Keeper monstrosity failed because it tried to innovate too much, so I really really hope no-one took that to heart.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Palpek posted:

Yeah, but they kept putting micro-transactions into their games until it worked. They put some card collection mode in all their sports games and apparently people are eating them up. (made almost 400 million this year.)

Look at that climb.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 5, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

That's a different thing though. Some extra items for people who are into collecting (the same thing exists in FIFAs), cheats etc. is where microtransactions work but hiding basic features behind a paywall in a singleplayer open world game is pretty funny and exactly the mistake EA did with with DS3 and Sim City.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Isn't the FIFA game where people literally get their account stolen to buy more of those cards for the thief?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

EA has flip-flopped on the issue almost on a quarterly basis. I remember when the new CEO took over he made waves by saying how they wanted to charge for ammo in Battlefield 3. Then EA admitted they actually didn't make much money from online passes. Then they said online was necessary in SimCity but turned around and said Dungeon Keeper was too innovative god drat EA sucks.

What a world where Activision is the best of the giant corporations because they never lie to you about how they want your $60 for a game +50 for their premium service and map packs galore.

Mutation posted:

Yeah, but they kept putting micro-transactions into their games until it worked. They put some card collection mode in all their sports games and apparently people are eating them up. (made almost 400 million this year.)

Look at that climb.

I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of that was ripping people off. I somehow had all my XBL points ripped off and spent on gold-whatever for some FIFA game. Microsoft confirmed that I hadn't signed on to my account for almost a year and they constantly corrected me when I called it DLC. "It's not DLC, sir, it's in-game purchases."

They at least refunded my points back after a month of being locked out from my account.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

"You are attempting to grapple onto something over 100m away. Would you like to upgrade your Grapple Length for 100-CosbyCoins?"
"UGHHHH!! This is so loving dumb."
*clicks Okay*
One direct consequence of Just Cause 3 having microtransactions is that it will have to be mod-proof because otherwise people would be able to add those cars using mods. So say goodbye to making the game actually fun with an endless grappling hook etc. like with Just Cause 2.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Palpek posted:

Microtransactions were the the least important problems with those games.

JC2 had a lot of mini-DLC anyway, now it is going to be more visible, whatever.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Except for the point that I just brought up.

Bathos
Sep 20, 2004

Here's a code for OlliOlli since it's not really my kind of game:

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=6ZYuka4uVSDAHSRC

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Microtransactions were the the least important problems with those games.

JC2 had a lot of mini-DLC anyway, now it is going to be more visible, whatever.

Or they can offer a platform for modders to distribute their content like Valve with Steamworks or the upcoming Unreal Tournament game.

Or they can just not care like they did with JC2. I can buy this $1 car or I can hop onto the publicly known JC2 database and get whatever somebody made in their free time for nothing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Steamworks is just a platform, the games have to have modding allowed to use it. Just Cause 2 wasn't microtransaction-driven - DLCs are a completely different thing than having a microtransaction store with an in-game currency, renting etc. as they have to have a closed environment for that. That comparison is dumb and doesn't work at all.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Palpek posted:

One direct consequence of Just Cause 3 having microtransactions is that it will have to be mod-proof because otherwise people would be able to add those cars using mods. So say goodbye to making the game actually fun with an endless grappling hook etc. like with Just Cause 2.
Just Cause 2 didn't have any official mod support either.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
A Just Cause game with Workshop support would get me all sorts of hot and bothered.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Palpek posted:

Steamworks is just a platform, the games have to have modding allowed to use it. Just Cause 2 wasn't microtransaction-driven - DLCs are a completely different thing than having a microtransaction store with an in-game currency, renting etc. as they have to have a closed environment for that. That comparison is dumb and doesn't work at all.

I meant Steam Workshop. Team Fortress 2 is one of the poster children of a microtransaction funded game and not only can you mod the poo poo out of it but Valve created a platform for people to distribute their mods and anyone else who wants to join the program.

And yeah, JC2 didn't officially support mods but they basically turned a blind eye to it and I know the multiplayer mod is supported by Steam. The only difference between DLC and in-game purchases is that Valve won't get a cut of the money. I'll condemn the poo poo out of it if the game is locked up tight but Square and Avalanche have to know that will spell the death of the only community (PC) that still plays the game 5 years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why does my car have tits and a romance questline now?

• Locked thread