Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I guess I can't find the clip anywhere online, but I always loved the scene where he's being hit on by a gorgeous woman who is really into science fiction, and he asks her what kind of sci-fi she likes, and she says "Star Wars," and there's this brief moment of pained indecision before he loving blows up at her and says something like "Star Wars is fantasy, not science fiction" in a chastising voice and she just walks away or whatever.\

Christ that show was good. It was so great, all the cast members got better jobs and the show died :( It was too beautiful for this world.

It really was, and that's the exact scene I had in mind to paraphrase. He's a perfect foil for this discussion because while he can draw these distinctions, you simultaneously see him missing the larger point. Different episode but on the same theme, Steve Guttenberg's Birthday should be required watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why, but this conversation about limitations and true definitions of Sci-Fi reminded me of Lars Von Trier's attempts to make a new film style, Dogme95, with extreme limitations. So extreme, that even though there are 37 movies in this film style, only one or two actually meet all the requirements and the rest aren't actually Dogme95 films, but are still labelled as such.

Too many definitions eliminates anything from being considered a part of that genre, but no limitations includes everything in the genre.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think it's very cute that Party Down ended because all of the actors got better jobs.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's totally a reason dude: Mad Max 1. That movie is barely set in the future as well. It's actual setting is the rear end-end of Western Civilization. I didn't mind the homage.

Which is funny because Michod has said that he doesn't really see the movies as being very similar.

I don't even know that one can call The Rover an homage, since it's concerned far less with inventing an aesthetic or cultural ideal of 'the future' and seems to make this a post-apocalypse that is even more explicitly about the current epoch. I'm thinking especially of scenes like when Robert Pattinson is sitting in the car listening to a pop song. Even in scenes like when the cop corners him in the motel room, cinematographically our emphasis is on Pearce and not any unique qualities of 'the world' itself.

I don't know how I feel about that in regards to Mad Max other than I feel like that's an instance where there's a... what Stephen King would call a "warmness" to it. The Rover has this cold distanciation from its subject that seems rather common in films now but that I don't think makes me respond to the film as anything other than a kind of geek show. I feel similarly about Gummo, which I think it has much more in common with, in line with that idea of the "rear end-end of Western Civilization."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Greataval posted:

Those post have me curious what makes a movie science fiction other than the plot device.

If it's a movie where a really schlubby, overweight dude falls in love with a younger woman way out of his league, then it's science-fiction.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If it's a movie where a really schlubby, overweight dude falls in love with a younger woman way out of his league, then it's science-fiction.

I guess that does describe Her pretty accurately.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm watching the first season of Bates Motel, and I love how little Norman cares about the fate of the woman he found chained up in the cop's basement.

This show is like Twin Peaks if it were told from the point of view of one of Laura's friends. Like, human trafficking and gangsters are everywhere but I've gotta study for that big algebra test--and my big date is tonight!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

An irreducible element. Without time travel, Back To The Future is nonsensical. Jurassic Park doesn't just use dinosaurs as a gewgaw, it's actually saying something about dinos and why they capture our imagination. On the other hand, there is no reason at all that Outland is set in the future.

This post is good because I learned something by reading it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I forget where I stole that from, but it's the only useful definition of SF I've ever seen.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Wait, a worldwide train powered by child labor is implausible and thus the movie is bad, but blue-eyed motherfuckers riding building-sized sand worms is A-OK. What is happening in this thread.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

An irreducible element. Without time travel, Back To The Future is nonsensical. Jurassic Park doesn't just use dinosaurs as a gewgaw, it's actually saying something about dinos and why they capture our imagination. On the other hand, there is no reason at all that Outland is set in the future.

It's so you can't tell it's just a bunch of westerns all smashed up together.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

red19fire posted:

Wait, a worldwide train powered by child labor is implausible and thus the movie is bad, but blue-eyed motherfuckers riding building-sized sand worms is A-OK. What is happening in this thread.

People still responding to a terrible poster.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

red19fire posted:

Yep, as a fantasy it works.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

red19fire posted:

Wait, a worldwide train powered by child labor is implausible and thus the movie is bad, but blue-eyed motherfuckers riding building-sized sand worms a dude turning into a starchild is A-OK. What is happening in this thread.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Jack Gladney posted:

I thought they were all Shakespeare plays. I have missed :thejoke:

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 5, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jack Gladney posted:

I feel like I need to clarify that Outland owns like a motherfucker.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Science fiction is a club that Metropolis, Fahrenheit 451, Rendezvous with Rama, The Time Machine and The Matrix all have enough in common to be in together but Star Wars can't for reasons :jerkbag:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hey awesome, Django Unchained is on Netflix.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I actually kind of enjoy Supernatural.

I was expecting Joss Whedon Buffy-lite garbage, and instead got a lighter X-Files. Nowhere near as scary as the X-Files but still enjoyable.

The monster of the week formula seems like it might get a little old though, is there a larger mythos?

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

The Time Dissolver posted:

Science fiction is a club that Metropolis, Fahrenheit 451, Rendezvous with Rama, The Time Machine and The Matrix all have enough in common to be in together but Star Wars can't for reasons :jerkbag:

Just because you like your 'science' to be mostly fantasy doesn't mean I have to.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

radthibodaux
Nov 1, 2011

HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I was expecting Joss Whedon Buffy-lite garbage, and instead got a lighter X-Files. Nowhere near as scary as the X-Files but still enjoyable.

The monster of the week formula seems like it might get a little old though, is there a larger mythos?

As an adult male, Supernatural is one of my guilty pleasures. Yes, there is a larger story but it just gets so tiresome that by season nine you'll be begging for them to return to the monster of the week. To be fair, they did a LOT of monsters and probably just ran out of material. After a few seasons, it gets almost completely focused on demons. Then they had a phase where they, by their own admission, jumped the shark. Those episodes are actually loving hilarious and some of my favorites. The most recent seasons have been all about angels and jesus gently caress am I tired of those. I keep watching for the end of season "Carry On Wayward Son" montages.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just watched Filth. God drat that was fan loving tastic. Everyone should watch it if they haven't.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

MadMattH posted:

Just because you like your 'science' to be mostly fantasy doesn't mean I have to.

You're insufferable, bud.

Going to continue from a few pages back and echo the praise for Grave Encounters 2. Found footage horror movies tend to run into pacing issues at some point during the run time (In Fear, for instance) but I never really felt that way about this one. I feel like they built on the inescapable void aspect from the first one fairly effectively - in a sort of House of Leaves way, the setting is developed as a character itself but it never feels shlocky or cheesy.

Also props to the film for what seemed like a Chronicle-esque attempt to liven up the found footage technique near the end with the floating, spinning multicam bonanza during the final encounter with Sean/Lance/whatever the hell his name is .

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

There is a larger mythos that largely resolves by the end of season 5 and does a good job of sticking the landing. At that point you could walk away and consider the show complete, although the show has not yet become so bad that I would say to stop (particularly since you can marathon seasons). S6 has a contained megaplot that acts as a coda to S5 and kinda spins wheels, S7 has another contained megaplot which really spins wheels, and then S8 and S9 share a megaplot which seems to be continuing through S10 which has been kinda different/interesting so far. I was able to marathon up to about midway through S8 and it helped, although iirc a couple of the series best episodes are in S6/S7.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
So I'm kind of on a roll tonight of depressing black comedies with Filth and now World's Greatest Dad, which was also great by the way. What are some other good black comedy recommendations on Netflix? The bleaker the better. I'm pretty sure this question gets asked all the time in here, but I don't remember any of the answers.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

So I'm kind of on a roll tonight of depressing black comedies with Filth and now World's Greatest Dad, which was also great by the way. What are some other good black comedy recommendations on Netflix? The bleaker the better. I'm pretty sure this question gets asked all the time in here, but I don't remember any of the answers.

It doesn't look like it's on American Netflix anymore, but Very Bad Things is a fantastic film and by far the blackest comedy I have ever seen. It's on Amazon but it looks like you have to pay for it.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Dune's pretty good. If you like the book and are curious about the movie, you should watch it. It's enjoyable as long as you already know all the made-up scifi words it uses.

I'd definitely rather rewatch Dune than the last few Lynch movies, which have all felt like slogs to me.

I'd also put it above Elephant Man - that's the only Lynch movie I really dislike.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

In Bruges, Super, Sightseers, and of course Fargo if you haven't seen it.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
So am I the only one who thought Snowpiercer would have been better as bioshock 4? Sorry if it's been discussed ad nauseum, I just watched it.

Also watched Total Recall for the first time which kicked rear end and was like 1000 times better that's my netflix recommendation

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

Bug Bill Murray posted:

So am I the only one who thought Snowpiercer would have been better as bioshock 4? Sorry if it's been discussed ad nauseum, I just watched it.

I definitely got some heavy Bioshock vibes from Snowpiercer but I really liked it. I don't watch a lot of recent movies and it kept my attention the entire time and has some great set pieces and scenes. It was good enough that I want to check out the graphic novel it was based on.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

Bug Bill Murray posted:

Also watched Total Recall for the first time which kicked rear end and was like 1000 times better that's my netflix recommendation
Bioshock 4: The Trainwreck

ActionHank
Nov 1, 2014

Bug Bill Murray posted:

there's 100 ways Snowpiercer could have been better, you could tell the whole time you're watching it the actors were fantastic, they just didn't have jack plot-wise to work with.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I finished Low Winter Sun last night. I really ignored the show when it was on TV like everyone else did because it was competing with The Waling Dead and Breaking Bad on AMC. But it was surprisingly pretty good and fun to spot local spots if you're from Detroit.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Snowpiercer was really, really loving dumb but very good. It's a super bizarre movie and I think humanity gets eaten by polar bears in the end.

ActionHank posted:

there's 100 ways Snowpiercer could have been better, you could tell the whole time you're watching it the actors were fantastic, they just didn't have jack plot-wise to work with.

Everything from here is gonna be spoilers so...

I felt it was super weird how people were punished with having their limbs removed so it's sorta assumed that John Hurt's character was punished in the same way but nope it turns out the main character was a cannibal and John Hurt gave him his limbs to eat instead of feeding on a baby. That's kinda bad arse but then John Hurt turns out to be a bad guy after being killed on some grainy security footage?

I thought the missing kids were gonna turn out to be Wilferd's Steak and Curtis was going to recgonize it as people meat as he said before he knows what people taste like and babies taste best. But then it goes all Temple of Doom with people getting squished by machinary and little kids being used as slave labour.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 5, 2014

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Khorne Flakes posted:

I finished Low Winter Sun last night. I really ignored the show when it was on TV like everyone else did because it was competing with The Waling Dead and Breaking Bad on AMC. But it was surprisingly pretty good and fun to spot local spots if you're from Detroit.

Counterpoint: Low Winter Sun is boring super-serious garbage trying to be Breaking Bad without understanding a single reason why Breaking Bad is good. Do not watch Low Winter Sun, even if you love Mark Strong as much as I do.

MadMattH posted:

No one cares about your stupid movie genre definitions. Shut the gently caress up.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

hemale in pain posted:

Snowpiercer was really, really loving dumb but very good. It's a super bizarre movie and I think humanity gets eaten by polar bears in the end.

Haha my buddy actually interpreted the end as the "new beginning of humanity". I was like how can you envision any scenario that doesn't involve those bitches getting eaten by that bear 20 seconds after the credits roll

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

radthibodaux posted:

I heard a radio show talking about that movie and how Redford insisted on doing all his own stunts. They tried to get him to use stunt doubles, probably trying to avoid their 75 year-old star suffering a broken hip, but he told them to stuff it and did it his way. What a badass.
Well, except for the fact that it left several stuntmen out of a job.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I'm sure you've seen some of these, but In Bruges, The Usual Suspects, Pain and Gain, Killing Them Softly, The Fifth Element, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, 48 Hrs., and Beverly Hills Cop would be good choices.
I wouldn't consider In Bruges to be anything like the other movies you list, and the ending is really really dark.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Haha my buddy actually interpreted the end as the "new beginning of humanity". I was like how can you envision any scenario that doesn't involve those bitches getting eaten by that bear 20 seconds after the credits roll

even if they don't get eaten by bears, they're almost certainly all dead. it's a movie about the end of humanity.

which makes the complaints about "well that wouldn't work" extra silly. of course it wouldn't work. the whole movie is about the fact that it wouldn't work (as are the comics it is based on, which are even bleaker).

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Really? I know that movie was dark but I didn't take the ending as anything other than sincere. When the movie's entire conceit explodes so does the tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MadMattH posted:

My genre definition has nothing to do with if I like a movie or not, like I said I like Dune which is more fantasy that science fiction.
So if you replace all the technology with *magic* it's exactly the same and thus must be a fantasy? What about still-suits?

• Locked thread