Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
For people talking about Pickle and his sister Eliza, although yes his caricature of a cockney accent (and especially leaving in the rhyming-slang synonym) is pretty annoying, his sister Eliza was actually a reference to the play Pygmalion. A cockney flower-seller girl named Eliza Dolittle is linguistically rehabilitated by Professor Henry Higgins (or 'enry 'iggins as she initially pronounces it) to win a wager that he could pass off a guttersnipe as a proper aristocrat lady at a society event, given verbal coaching. Although in keeping with Pickle's nature, his sister uses polite society code-switching to help her run cons. At least it's a bit more sophisticated of a cultural allusion than reddit memes etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wyld Karde posted:

I think the trouble is that right now there's nobody who can jerk Lilith up short and make her take a look at herself. At least with Roland she had a friend and equal who could've sat her down and talked with her. Mordecai's a drunk and doesn't really care much about anything, Brick is an idiot who only cares about punching and awesomeness. Nobody else is really close with Lilith. I really hope in the next game there's someone who can address Lilith's behaviour and help bring about some character development. Ordering Athena's execution is understandable, considering she's still feeling raw over Roland's death, but Lilith really needs someone who can make her realise that was a wrong move. Heck, maybe come Borderlands 3 it'll be Athena filling that role, providing the voice of leadership and reason that the vault hunters and the Lance need, and that neither Lilith, Brick or Mordecai can provide.

Maybe Maya can slap some sense into her, or hold her immobile long enough to let the rest of the crew stage an intervention. She's a crazed rear end in a top hat who is likely at the point where she'll just wreck/enslave Pandora to ensure a solid supply of Eridium. The bit in BL2 showed how she views quasi-godhood, you could see the story positioning her as a bizarro-Zarpedon, seeking to control and keep the Eridium to herself rather than protecting people from the empty billabong glowing purple with the silent prayers of an ancient people vault.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

FAUXTON posted:

Maybe Maya can slap some sense into her, or hold her immobile long enough to let the rest of the crew stage an intervention. She's a crazed rear end in a top hat who is likely at the point where she'll just wreck/enslave Pandora to ensure a solid supply of Eridium. The bit in BL2 showed how she views quasi-godhood, you could see the story positioning her as a bizarro-Zarpedon, seeking to control and keep the Eridium to herself rather than protecting people from the empty billabong glowing purple with the silent prayers of an ancient people vault.

Kinda like God Emperor of Dune, but without the wisdom, knowledge, or (eventually realized) benevolence.

lets burn
Nov 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I honestly was very disappointed with the last boss. And the cliff hanger ending. No real closure other than, "EH EH? He's the bad guy now get it?" yes we loving get it.

How about tell me a real story Athena and one that's not slated for DLC.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

lets burn posted:

I honestly was very disappointed with the last boss. And the cliff hanger ending. No real closure other than, "EH EH? He's the bad guy now get it?" yes we loving get it.

How about tell me a real story Athena and one that's not slated for DLC.

no no no, tell me a story about raid boss! i want to hear more about raid bosses! (Tiny Tina owns)

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Skandranon posted:

It could be a mini puzzle, trying to figure out what he is saying and what to say back to him.

It's even arguable that punching Jack was a purely negative move. She could have NOT punched him. He still knew about the Warrior, and branding his face like that did seem to make him even crazier. He might have actually become more wise, given time with the relic, as Zapadon did. They show us no good outcome of punching him. Just another dumb thing she does to feel cool.

I dunno, I think that's expecting an unreasonable amount of foresight from someone who is a very simple kind of person. Lilith isn't a big thinker or planner or leader or anything; it's pretty well established that she lives from moment to moment and does as she pleases. She wasn't thinking of Jack's motivations or inner character development when she hit him; it was, "Hey, this guy is a complete and total rear end in a top hat, let's wreck his poo poo." She didn't have the knowledge we have.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I think it should be Maya honestly, she's probably the most sane person left on the whole drat planet.

But it kinda feels like the BL2 vault hunters have been left by the wayside. :ohdear: My last real hope to see anything else out of them is the Telltale game, which at least has Zer0 in it.

Well the BL2 Vault hunters aren't even in the picture until the start of BL2, presumably quite some time after the end of TPS. It makes sense that they wouldn't be mentioned at all really. I have faith that we'll see them in the next proper sequel game, whenever and whatever that turns out to be.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

AirRaid posted:

Well the BL2 Vault hunters aren't even in the picture until the start of BL2, presumably quite some time after the end of TPS. It makes sense that they wouldn't be mentioned at all really. I have faith that we'll see them in the next proper sequel game, whenever and whatever that turns out to be.

They could have had at least a few lines when they do the characters talking over Athena's story thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

AirRaid posted:

Sanctuary is already in the air and the main vault hunters are already hangin out there in TPS which means the events of Borderlands 2 are at least in progress if not finished. If you mean only in the game itself and not the narrative part, yeah it makes sense.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Backhand posted:

I dunno, I think that's expecting an unreasonable amount of foresight from someone who is a very simple kind of person. Lilith isn't a big thinker or planner or leader or anything; it's pretty well established that she lives from moment to moment and does as she pleases. She wasn't thinking of Jack's motivations or inner character development when she hit him; it was, "Hey, this guy is a complete and total rear end in a top hat, let's wreck his poo poo." She didn't have the knowledge we have.

I'm not really expecting her to have such insight, I'm arguing that she definitely does not have any, and as a result of that and her other character faults, a lot of people suffer needlessly. Herself included, but instead of learn anything, she blames it all on Athena because she's available.

Also, Jack wasn't such a complete and total rear end in a top hat then. Jack wasn't even trying to take revenge at that point, he was completing his earlier goals of wanting the cool stuff in the vault, which is the same motivation all the other Vault Hunters have. But based on Moxxi's say so and witnessing one questionable incident, she decides blowing up his space laser isn't enough, and she should go and antagonize him more. Even after Moxxi delivers the line of "If you come down from that station alive, a lot of people are going to get hurt". Does she listen to that? No, see's that he's alive still, and decides to maim his face, for lolz.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 4, 2014

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

AirRaid posted:

Yeah I'm giving the benefit of the doubt and thinking the seeming lack of the BL2 hunters is just a coincidence; people think three things in a row is a streak, but nobody bats an eye at two.

Backhand posted:

But she's already trying to kill him at this point, as evidenced by the whole Eye scene.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Lilith should have an eridium thread in TCC

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Lilith doesn't really bother me, I just kinda wish they hadn't decided to make her basically the main character of the whole franchise. There's other characters, Gearbox! They deserve love too!

Genocyber posted:

They could have had at least a few lines when they do the characters talking over Athena's story thing.

This is what I was really hoping for :(. Even just a mention or just showing them on screen would have made me happy.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Lilith doesn't really bother me, I just kinda wish they hadn't decided to make her basically the main character of the whole franchise. There's other characters, Gearbox! They deserve love too!

She didn't bother me either, until BL:PS. Now I definitely don't like her.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

donkey salami posted:

Lilith should have an eridium thread in TCC

... and the idea of Lilith doing the Pee Wee Herman crack monologue just hit me.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Just gonna spoiler it all to be safe.

The main problem with TPS is that Jack can't die but they didn't want him to do all those horrible things and get off scott(sp?) free, basically. The ending would've been a lot better if getting those scars would've just been a side effect of... whatever it is that happens...

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

watho posted:

Just gonna spoiler it all to be safe.

The main problem with TPS is that Jack can't die but they didn't want him to do all those horrible things and get off scott(sp?) free, basically. The ending would've been a lot better if getting those scars would've just been a side effect of... whatever it is that happens...

He didn't really do that much that was horrible... he spaced four scientists, that may or may not have contained a traitor. Vowing to get revenge doesn't count as a horrible thing. The horrible things come after TPS.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Skandranon posted:

He didn't really do that much that was horrible... he spaced four scientists, that may or may not have contained a traitor. Vowing to get revenge doesn't count as a horrible thing. The horrible things come after TPS.

He also forced Felicity into the constructor (morally ambiguous circumstances) and had a mega death laser pointed right at Pandora (a bit less so). He also took pleasure killing various people throughout the game (Meriff and I think Zarpedon), but I guess that's standard in Borderlands.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Moxxi also thinks he's evil based on something we never see (the time he set all those people on fire).

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious

Bluff Buster posted:

He also took pleasure killing various people throughout the game (Meriff and I think Zarpedon), but I guess that's standard in Borderlands.

He explicitly doesn't take pleasure in killing the Meriff, though he finds the adrenaline from being shot at and surviving exhilarating, a response that you'll find is common if you read anything written by people who have experienced real combat. For Zarpy, he kind of just interrupts her grim warnings, but again, this is right after she attempted to kill him.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Pitchford just tweeted codes that redeem 20 Golden Keys :stare:

BL:TPS 20 GK:
PSN: C55BT-S95HR-FZT5J-H3K3J-5H5TW
Steam: C55BT-S95HK-HTT3J-B3J3J-5H5CR
Xbox Live: C55BT-S95CJ-CXX3R-C6J3J-5H5J3

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

wdarkk posted:

Moxxi also thinks he's evil based on something we never see (the time he set all those people on fire).

I have trouble accepting Moxxi's say so that Jack is an evil psychopath, as she's one of the crazier Pandora residents. She's the least reliable person to assess someone's mental state. She doesn't even provide examples, she just has a feeling that he's evil. In a bad way, not the good way everyone else on Pandora is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Doesn't BL2 imply that Angel did the thing that happened to Jack's face to him? Or am I remembering wrong? Something about her power being uncontrollable or whatever.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Doesn't BL2 imply that Angel did the thing that happened to Jack's face to him? Or am I remembering wrong? Something about her power being uncontrollable or whatever.

It more implied that Angel did something to her mother. It did not explicitly state how Jack got his facial scars.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

That was just a theory before the presequel, since Vaults = Sirens. I kinda liked the "Jack is a total bandit hick himself" theory.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Skandranon posted:

I have trouble accepting Moxxi's say so that Jack is an evil psychopath, as she's one of the crazier Pandora residents. She's the least reliable person to assess someone's mental state. She doesn't even provide examples, she just has a feeling that he's evil. In a bad way, not the good way everyone else on Pandora is.

It might be more effective if we'd seen it happen, but timeline-wise it must happen before the Pre-Sequel.

mycot posted:

I kinda liked the "Jack is a total bandit hick himself" theory.

Jack's grandmother lives on Pandora and beat him with a buzz-axe, so it seems likely he was born

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Skandranon posted:

It more implied that Angel did something to her mother. It did not explicitly state how Jack got his facial scars.

You know...for some reason, I never really wondered why his face was scarred up in the shape of a Vault symbol. Like, I knew it was a Vault symbol, but I never really stopped to wonder why.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Pitchford said that if some Kickstarter game was funded, he'd release a 20-key shift code for BL2 and TPS.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You know...for some reason, I never really wondered why his face was scarred up in the shape of a Vault symbol. Like, I knew it was a Vault symbol, but I never really stopped to wonder why.
Well, now you know the reason, and wouldn't you know it, it's an incredibly god drat stupid reason.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Solumin posted:

Pitchford said that if some Kickstarter game was funded, he'd release a 20-key shift code for BL2 and TPS.

What was the game?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

CJacobs posted:

Well, now you know the reason, and wouldn't you know it, it's an incredibly god drat stupid reason.

Sup.

:ssj:

:sadwave::eyepop:

:worship: :angel:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

mycot posted:

What was the game?

Nevermind, a "biofeedback horror game"
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reynoldsphobia/nevermind-biofeedback-horror-game

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone know where the bubble gunner head for Athena is?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Anyone know where the bubble gunner head for Athena is?

Complete the challenge "Death from above" Rank 5. That's the word on the street, at least.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Complete the challenge "Death from above" Rank 5. That's the word on the street, at least.

So it doesn't drop from bosun or red belly then?

lets burn
Nov 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

lets burn fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 5, 2014

lets burn
Nov 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Kerrrrrrr posted:

:awesome:

Tezzeract posted:

no no no, tell me a story about raid boss! i want to hear more about raid bosses! (Tiny Tina owns)

he's even easier. I just pull out my dual 88 fragnums and go into Nisha's showdown skill.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

lets burn posted:

:awesome:

he's even easier. I just pull out my dual 88 fragnums and go into Nisha's showdown skill.

I'm pretty sure that there's some sort of bore glitch going on with the Riflewoman capstone during the latter half of the fight. Makes the fight (even more) piss easy.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Is there a way to drop quests? I bugged out one of the sidequests by killing the target before it registered as a goal, leaving it unable to be completed. (Boomer for the beacon quest janey sends you on)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Most boss type enemies will respawn.

• Locked thread