Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Roark posted:

I'd include a bit more traditional doom under the essential albums. Maybe Candlemass' "Epicus" and "Nightfall", and Saint Vitus' "Born Too Late"?

Also Pentagram - Relentless, either of the first two Reverend Bizarre albums, Pagan Altar - Volume 1, there's quite a few you could include.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Stoner/Doom/Sludge: Follow the Smoke toward the Riff filled Land

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Stoner/Doom/Sludge: Aaron Turner is a Vegan

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Stoner/Doom/Sludge: Drop Out Of Life

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Stoner/Doom/Sludge: Recently Reinvented By Pallbearer

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.
Stoner/Doom/Sludge: Bongripping Dragonauts of Satan

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Stoner/Doom/Sludge: Follow the Smoke toward the Riff filled Land

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

mother spacelord posted:

Stoner/Doom/Sludge: ISIS Broke Up, Get Over It

Stoner/Doom/Sludge: ISIS Middleast Tour

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 1, 2014

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Stoner/Doom/Sludge: Endless Descent into Goondom
Stoner/Doom/Sludge: Amarijuanagoons
Stoner/Doom/Sludge: Weedeating, Bongripping, & Dopesmoking
Stoner/Doom/Sludge: God Luck and Goon Speed

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Stoner/Doom/Sludge: HOLKY MOUNTAIN

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Shakenbaker posted:

Stoner/Doom/Sludge: Recently Reinvented By Pallbearer

Not really.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Saw Saint Vitus play all of Born too Late yesterday and it was awesome. Wino is The Man.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

nosophoros posted:

Not really.

that's the joke, altoho i'm not sure if he really thinks they did. that album got incredibly rave reviews. some of them said pallbearer are the saviours of doom and the best doom band in the world. totally not their fault, but goddamn the hype around their first album was out of proportion.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 2, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It was definitely a joke. Steven Hyden wrote a very nice write-up by them where he earnestly mentioned that Foundations of Burden "has already been called a game-changer." Hyden, unsurprisingly, was also one of those people who thought Deafheaven was turning the entire genre of metal upside down.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Man, either they just had a horribly off night or Pallbearer isn't very good live. Vocals especially were just baaaaaaad.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun

Bonk posted:

nnnnnnnnnng the new Inter Arma is so goddamn great.

It's on their Bandcamp now: http://interarma.bandcamp.com/track/the-cavern

Ffffuuuuuuuck yes, I've been listening to this poo poo on repeat for the past week. So good and probably the best thing I've heard all year. It's got just the right mix of sludgy riffs, black metal stuff, epic prog parts and insane guitar shredding.

nerve posted:

Stoner/Doom/Sludge: Weedeating, Bongripping, & Dopesmoking

I approve of these activities and thread title.

Tatsuta Age posted:

Man, either they just had a horribly off night or Pallbearer isn't very good live. Vocals especially were just baaaaaaad.

Might be an off night. I saw them about 6 weeks ago and they were alright. Pretty boring to look at but they played well and vocals were not noticeably worse than the album.

In other news, I posted a while back about joining the band Pike. Last night we played our first show together, at a Halloween party. We wore corpse paint for the occasion and rocked the gently caress out. Been a while since I last played live so it was great to finally get back on stage. We nailed the songs and I got a lot of compliments on my guitar playing. Feels good man.

Aaaand last I'm seeing the Saint Vitus + Orange Goblin tour next week. I really dig OG, but for some reason I'm unable to get into Saint Vitus at all. I think the issue for me might be the production on the 80s albums as I pretty much can't stand listening to them. I know i SHOULD like them, and I really dig Wino in Shrinebuilder. Oh well, We'll see how it turns out live.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think you've nailed the difficulty of listening to Saint Vitus. Wino's a great frontman and the fuzz on their production is cool but it lacks the sort of monolithic heaviness of modern doom.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dyna Soar posted:

that's the joke, altoho i'm not sure if he really thinks they did. that album got incredibly rave reviews. some of them said pallbearer are the saviours of doom and the best doom band in the world. totally not their fault, but goddamn the hype around their first album was out of proportion.

No I do not really think that :colbert:

I did listen to their latest album that got all the crazy praise something like three times through, but nothing ever grabbed me. The hype did crack me up, though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Snowy posted:

I am totally on board with this.

Also, I feel like a heel, since they're one of the thread favorites, but every time I hear The Body, I just kind of want to be doing anything other than listening to The Body.

I think I should go through the suggested records section at the top of the thread, there's probably a lot of stuff I've missed.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Snowy posted:

I love this. Also "Follow the smoke to the riff-filled land" but... I could've sworn I did that years ago already? It's basically perfect though.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

nerve posted:

Stoner/Doom/Sludge: God Luck and Goon Speed

Or Stoner/sludge/doom: Log in, tune down, geek out

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

Also, I feel like a heel, since they're one of the thread favorites, but every time I hear The Body, I just kind of want to be doing anything other than listening to The Body.

If you don't like the album they did with Haxan Cloak then I don't know what to say.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you don't like the album they did with Haxan Cloak then I don't know what to say.

I haven't heard that one, admittedly. My biggest encounter with them was getting about halfway through Christs, Redeemers and just wanting to die.

e: Maybe like a quarter of the way through. It's basically why I stopped listening to black metal. I'm just like "STOP WITH THE SCREECHING AND SCRAPING."

hexwren fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 3, 2014

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Gonna plug the local band Spectral Haze, who just put their upcoming debut up for streaming:

Transmuted Nebula Remains

It's good trippy stuff with a lot of Hawkwind-influence, and I think they have potential to go pretty far.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Just booked tickets for Dragged Into Sunlight, Bong and 11paranoias on Sunday, can't wait!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Might be seeing Eyehategod (for the second time this year) and Today is the Day next week. Should be hype. Anybody know anything about Jar'd Loose, Sick/Tired or In the Weeds?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Allen Wren posted:

I haven't heard that one, admittedly. My biggest encounter with them was getting about halfway through Christs, Redeemers and just wanting to die.

e: Maybe like a quarter of the way through. It's basically why I stopped listening to black metal. I'm just like "STOP WITH THE SCREECHING AND SCRAPING."

Sounds like you'll really be into I Shall Die Here :v:

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
So, uh, everone except Tatsu have apparently left Church Of Misery...

quote:

At the end of September, Hideki Fukasawa (Vo, Syn) left the band. And then, Junji "JJ" Narita (Dr) and Ikuma Kawabe (G) left the band also.

Luckily Tatsu is the main songwriter, and he will continue the band. Really lovely news though, they had a fantastic chemistry together on stage.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

Aaaand last I'm seeing the Saint Vitus + Orange Goblin tour next week. I really dig OG, but for some reason I'm unable to get into Saint Vitus at all. I think the issue for me might be the production on the 80s albums as I pretty much can't stand listening to them. I know i SHOULD like them, and I really dig Wino in Shrinebuilder. Oh well, We'll see how it turns out live.

I love Saint Vitus, but I know where you're coming from. Their 80s albums are less heavy than most contemporary doom bands, but, at the same time, they were much, much heavier and doomy than most of what else was out when they released Saint Vitus in 1984 (Powerslave and Ride the Lightning etc.).

I saw them on this tour, and they were pretty solid live. Wino was drunk, but that's not unexpected.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Henchman of Santa posted:

Might be seeing Eyehategod (for the second time this year) and Today is the Day next week. Should be hype. Anybody know anything about Jar'd Loose, Sick/Tired or In the Weeds?

Sick/Tired is great, but don't expect anything like EHG

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

ElectricWizard posted:

Luckily Tatsu is the main songwriter, and he will continue the band. Really lovely news though, they had a fantastic chemistry together on stage.

God damnit that sucks. They're definitely one of my top 5 bands right now.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
drat the new Old Man Gloom LP is sick, best thing they've put out since Christmas

Velvet Elvis
Jul 1, 2007

Horn-driven doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gOK9LjTtl8

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

ElectricWizard posted:

That's rough, but they've gone through several lineups already, so I'm sure Tatsu can put another band together. I do wonder why CoM never seem to be able to keep a permanent lineup, but it's probably difficult to find musicians who are willing/able to do international tours.

Tatsu is a beast, so I hope he keeps going. I have no idea how he's able to play so well with his bass hanging down past his knees.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Cool.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I was considering posting this, they've gotten psych-doom-funky on their new record, but their first three (Budos Band I/II/III) are stone killers, too.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

big scary monsters posted:

Half of Eyehategod's catalogue would make an awesome thread title, e.g.,

Stoner/Doom/Sludge: Inferior and Full of Anxiety

I like this one!!

quote:

The current one is more or less unbeatable for me though.

True... any change would be a downgrade.

Just bought the Dopelord album (thanks to this thread), as well as all of the Lesbian albums last week(thanks to this thread), and a whole goddamned poo poo-ton of albums mentioned earlier in this thread. When I'm in the mood to waste money on awesome music, it's the first place I check, and you guys haven't steered me wrong yet!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If we're putting together a Best of 2014 list, I'd like to say The Body's I Shall Die here and Lord Mantis' Death Mask were two standout albums for me.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Thou and Yob for me. And Godflesh if they fall in the remit of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
This is a great recording of a full Sunn O))) set, of course nothing can capture the sheer volume of their performance but this gets as close as reasonably possible.

Also thanks for reminding me, totally gonna listen to Godflesh now.