Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Is there a name for the black soul hearts? They're got to be sin hearts or something.

Also, I'm thinking that hearts are limited to the 2 rows you can see, but I haven't maxed out my hearts enough times to confirm. Anyone?

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Every time monstro jumps or mom's heart beats, the screen flashes black. I imagine there's some sort of thump effect that won't render right. [on a mac].

Anyone else have this problem?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Cheekio posted:

Is there a name for the black soul hearts? They're got to be sin hearts or something.

Also, I'm thinking that hearts are limited to the 2 rows you can see, but I haven't maxed out my hearts enough times to confirm. Anyone?

I wasn't able to pick up soul hearts with full two rows.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Oh, I almost forgot another thing that I think is a bug in my system. I was playing as Maggie and every time she'd get hit, she'd drop money, ala Greed fights, but here's the kicker--my money wouldn't go down when this happened. This didn't happen for anyone else.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Has anyone figured out what the Contract from Below does? The description suggests something to do with money, but I can't work it out.

Wildstrike
Apr 8, 2007

I will gladly pay you my soul Tuesday, for a glut to the longing of my heart's desire today...

Jsor posted:

Quadros are built for things like rendering, GPGPU, or CAD stuff. Even if sometimes on paper they're as good as gaming cards, they're not really optimized the same way.

That said, there's no reason a 2D sprite-based game should be chugging on drat near any system with a discrete graphics card, Quadro or not.

Yeah, I just assumed it would be fine - I have (nominally) 16gb of RAM and then that graphics card and I've made sure there aren't any other processes running but everything about the way the game is behaving suggests I'm lacking in meeting the specifications somewhere or other. I just pulled up the task manager and it does seem like it's struggling for some reason. I could install it on my SSD instead of where I had it, would that help?

Thanks for the reply.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Oh, I almost forgot another thing that I think is a bug in my system. I was playing as Maggie and every time she'd get hit, she'd drop money, ala Greed fights, but here's the kicker--my money wouldn't go down when this happened. This didn't happen for anyone else.

There is an item that does this, I don't remember what it's called, but I know I bought it from the shop and it looks like a piggy bank (my life savings?), but every time you get hit you drop 1-2 coins.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wow man, that's just mean, game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Seriously though, how do you unlock Judas?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Wow, I heard that the game was more bullet hell-ish, but I didn't expect Mom's Heart to break out Border of Wave and Particle.

alr
May 14, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

gently caress, this game hurts my eyes.

Same, can't play for more than a run or two at a time. The Womb is especially terrible with that red "static" filter on it, and it's painful when there's enemies on screen that leave a flashing red trail on top of the red floor. I don't suppose anyone knows how to disable that filter, like an .ini tweak or something? :( Another graphical issue I have is that shadows are sometimes hard to see, like Monstro/Mom's foot.

Picked up an item that I think was called Bob's Brain that fires out an explosive brain in the direction you're shooting, though it felt laggy as if its movement was a few hundred ms behind the rest of the game. Sometimes it wouldn't shoot immediately, sometimes you'd get hurt because it fired off at something in his face even though the brain was still hovering next to him. Was also a little disappointed to learn that aiming is still digital, I thought "dual analog support" meant you'd be able to aim properly with the right stick. Suppose the game's designed around that limitation. I think it's a good remake/remaster, it just needs some ironing out over the next few weeks.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Oh my god guppy's paw and soul convertor...!!!!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
So, uh, what does that room with the curved arrow symbol on it do?

EDIT: OH HOLY gently caress WHY AM I FIGHTING MONSTRO 2

Jen X fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 5, 2014

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
What's up with this thing sometimes (often) not taking keyboard input and starting up again immediately after I close it?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

What's up with this thing sometimes (often) not taking keyboard input and starting up again immediately after I close it?

Do you have a Logitech G110? There seems to be a known bug with that keyboard.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
There seems to be a Forget-Me-Now room. It's a big die with coins on it, behind a door with two locked chains.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
So glad Red Chests are actually worth it in this game. What other things are people finding that they use now and didn't before??

Also, what are you guys using to record gameplay?

edit: So jealous of all you new people. Enjoy the only game that has held my attention over multiple years!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Brother Entropy posted:

Seriously though, how do you unlock Judas?
Pretty sure I got him from beating satan.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
technology and spoon bender as OP as promised, thank you based mcmillan

Also lol at how bullet hell the bosses now

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

technology and spoon bender as OP as promised, thank you based mcmillan

Also lol at how bullet hell the bosses now

The boss fights are really so much better now mechanically. Before Mom through her Heart were 100% easy wins. Now though...

Escape Car 3000
Oct 12, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

Every time monstro jumps or mom's heart beats, the screen flashes black. I imagine there's some sort of thump effect that won't render right. [on a mac].

Anyone else have this problem?

I think that's happening with a lot (or all?) of Mac players right now. It ruined my first fight with Mom's Heart, though I was so close to killing it blind. I'm playing in Windows with boot camp for the time being.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Don't like that there's a new enemy type that you only know is there if you can hear it. This was never a factor in previous in the original or wrath as far as I can tell.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

LibbyM posted:

Don't like that there's a new enemy type that you only know is there if you can hear it. This was never a factor in previous in the original or wrath as far as I can tell.

If you are talking about the hand, there is a shadow on the ground.

e: The new devil room % are awesome btw. 2nd win of the day

Boomerang is OP

notes from that game

goodness fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 5, 2014

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Found Tammy's Head on the first floor of the Slow Roll challenge and the Habit two floors later. R.I.P. everything forever.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Ok why is the music so bad? Its like they looked at the uptempo awesomeness of the first game and said you know what gently caress that heres some silent hill music instead. Loving the game but gently caress I just started to listen to the originals music instead.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I want to like Azazel, I really do, but ugh, that attack noise is grating as hell.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The music isn't that bad.

Escape Car 3000 posted:

I think that's happening with a lot (or all?) of Mac players right now. It ruined my first fight with Mom's Heart, though I was so close to killing it blind. I'm playing in Windows with boot camp for the time being.

I'm playing on Mac Yosemite and not having any trouble.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
So, after spending a little time with Rebirth, I really don't see how anyone could prefer vanilla BoI over it. The artwork looks lovely at a silky smooth 60 FPS - and I hate "retro" sprite art. The sound design is clearly more than just a thrown-together afterthought, and the music is, well, different. I won't say "better" or "worse" than vanilla BoI's soundtrack, but it's good and fitting in its own unique way.

As for the game itself, vanilla BoI was dominated by a handful of very powerful items: Dr./Epic Fetus, Mom's Knife, Spirit of the Night, the Habit, and a few others that I'm probably forgetting. In Rebirth, Ed and Nicalis seem to have taken the ToME approach to balance: "If it's awesome, let it happen." I don't think I've picked up a single collectible (excepting trinkets) so far that hasn't been at least pretty drat useful, especially in synergy with everything else that I've picked up.

I'll still fondly remember vanilla BoI as a fun game that I sunk dozens of hours into, but this is in every way the definitive version of the game.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

If you have a chance to pick up Bob's Brain or whatever (the green brain that's like a Bob's Rotten Head that zips around) on an Azazel run, don't. Trust me.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Chocolate milk + Crickets body (splash damage) + 20/10 (double shot) + whip worm = Double Lazer death machine pew pew pew what is starfox doing in my Binding of isaac.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Haruharuharuko posted:

Ok why is the music so bad? Its like they looked at the uptempo awesomeness of the first game and said you know what gently caress that heres some silent hill music instead. Loving the game but gently caress I just started to listen to the originals music instead.
To offer a different perspective, I was never really into the music of the original but I loving love this OST. Especially the tracks with lots of harsh noise like the Mom's heart music.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Lol @ anyone playing without the smooth filter on.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Bloody Pom posted:

Do you have a Logitech G110? There seems to be a known bug with that keyboard.
Nope, CM something or other. What's the bug like on the G110?

What I'm getting here is that the game often ignores keyboard from the instant it starts, even with controller unplugged. The time it DID accept the keyboard, it was fine until about an hour in at which point it started ignoring the keyboard again.

It's pretty obnoxious.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

Lol @ anyone playing with the smooth filter on.

content wise, this is the first time I have played it with a controller since my keyboard has been having trouble with it. Really loving the change, only trouble I have is with charging shots and changing direction. You can't change >90 degrees without shooting the shot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Smooth filter looks like crap sorry.

edit: I'm actually not sorry.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

goodness posted:

If you are talking about the hand, there is a shadow on the ground.

If someone enters the room with hearing, they are warned immediately by a laughing sound effect, and are prepared to look for it.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Got home from work and installed this game. Two runs in and I somehow net myself Basement Boy. Game of the Year.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

To offer a different perspective, I was never really into the music of the original but I loving love this OST. Especially the tracks with lots of harsh noise like the Mom's heart music.

This. The music is great, although the squishing noises in the Womb track make me feel ill. :gonk:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm playing on Mac Yosemite and not having any trouble.

I'm playing on Yosemite and having that problem. Any boss that stomps causes the screen to go black. Messing with the gamma makes the screen go black too. Other than that the game is playing amazingly.

Haruharuharuko posted:

You're insane, the new soundtrack is whole other world better than the last game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
According to edmund on a blog quite a while ago, there are other filters you can unlock and use. Has anyone found any yet?