Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

quote:

Wins 45-64 by 33 points.

Wins 65+ by 42 points.

That's brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

I don't think it's that, I think people overestimate how liberal Hispanics are. They are not the block that African Americans are when it comes to voting.

Even if they don't tend more liberal you'd think voting trends would have been nearly 100% against Patrick, I can't imagine any significant portion of the block voting for someone who's signs were a white picket fence with a padlock saying "Secure Our Border"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Xen Tricks posted:

How does a state with a ballooning hispanic population overwhelmingly elect a racist and whatever Abbot is?
Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAL6sX-5ZSs

First Latina first lady of Texas.

VitalSigns posted:

I don't know, how does a campaign against women's health win women by 10 points?

:smithicide:
Abortion ranks near the bottom in polling about what Texans find important.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 5, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xen Tricks posted:

Even if they don't tend more liberal you'd think voting trends would have been nearly 100% against Patrick, I can't imagine any significant portion of the block voting for someone who's signs were a white picket fence with a padlock saying "Secure Our Border"

In fairness, historically Mexican-Americans were very ardent supporters of the border (A Hispanic Congressman from El Paso was one of the first to build a fence).

This was back when not being white meant that you couldn't be a citizen though, so a lot of them tried to fit in as best they could.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

computer parts posted:

In fairness, historically Mexican-Americans were very ardent supporters of the border (A Hispanic Congressman from El Paso was one of the first to build a fence).

This was back when not being white meant that you couldn't be a citizen though, so a lot of them tried to fit in as best they could.

Also back when talk of border security wasn't intimately intertwined with anti-immigration and general racist opinions

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xen Tricks posted:

Also back when talk of border security wasn't intimately intertwined with anti-immigration and general racist opinions

Oh no, it was definitely intertwined with anti-immigration and (by extension) general racist opinions. Mexican Americans just believed that they could prove they were "the good ones" as opposed to dirty Mexican immigrants.

It didn't work.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
At least the ballot measure for road funding passed! Or is that secretly bad too?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

At least the ballot measure for road funding passed! Or is that secretly bad too?

I think we all decided it was good, because we might as well spend the rainy day fund on loving something.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN
I voted for Davis. I almost didn't because of her commercial where she stated she wanted to raise the minimum wage.

gently caress that.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why'd you vote for her then?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Adios Wendy

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

Badger of Basra posted:

Why'd you vote for her then?

Her stance on abortion and equal marriage rights.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Her campaign was such a cynical and demagogic attempt at creating a cult of personality, when she was such a waxwork, I couldn't. I abstained. I voted for Van de Putte, though.

Badger of Basra posted:

I voted for Spicybrown.
I *almost* did that. Mostly because her name is Spicybrown.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I voted for Spicybrown. Also there was apparently a fourth guy running for Senate who got 0 votes? He showed up on the Travis County returns.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I voted for Spicybrown too because it's not like Alameel had a chance. Also, Spicybrown!

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

TRIP REPORT: I voted today! :neckbeard:

No lines here in Garland.

A half a billion dollars to build/renovate schools in a district that's already built out and doesn't need new schools? This bond doesn't even cover hiring teachers or raising their pay at all... :gonk: I voted in favor of it anyway, but I'll probably live to regret it. It sounds like a pork barrel pipeline for well-connected construction contractors charging way too much.

Some of these names were too amazing to resist. SPICYBROWN SANCHEZ. QUANAH loving PARKER

So there ya go. Lingy got my vote with his silly nickname.

I asked the lady checking my drivers license against the voter registrar if my paper voter registration card was worthless now, and she said not at all - a woman without a photo ID came in to vote earlier with hers, and because she was on record as having voted in this precinct with that registration card previously, there was no issue with her continuing to vote without an ID. I was like "wow voter ID isn't really that big a deal"

Randandal fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 5, 2014

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Poor guy. These are just Travis results.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN
Also voted for SpicyBrown and Sam Houston too just because of the name.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I honestly had no idea that Cornyn was up for reelection this year or that anybody was running against him.

I think that Abbott/Davis being 59/39 while Cornyn/Alameel is 61/35 (with a name like Spicybrown siphoning off the noncommittal 3rd party voters) when Cornyn and Alameel spent literally no time or money on campaigning really proves what a colossal waste of time and money this Davis campaign was.

E: vvv as shown in the illegal photos I took and shared of my ballot from Dallas County, that dude wasn't even on my ballot. I have no idea why he'd be showing on the returns with 0 votes. I want to show up on the returns with 0 votes too.

Randandal fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 5, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Badger of Basra posted:

Poor guy. These are just Travis results.
Aw. I should've voted for him. There's something about immigrants and pie-in-the-sky campaigns for high office. I don't think America has crushed their spirits yet.

Ethiopian dude.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Omi-Polari posted:

Aw. I should've voted for him. There's something about immigrants and pie-in-the-sky campaigns for high office. I think America hasn't crushed their spirits yet.

He was write-in, apparently. I knew I didn't recognize him from the ballot.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I don't think it's that, I think people overestimate how liberal Hispanics are. They are not the block that African Americans are when it comes to voting.

Na we don't vote, like at all.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
My voting experience - I walked into my polling booth, and the dude in front of me was a black dude without proper ID having to fill out a provisional ballot, and leaving instead of voting.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I'll buy the Greyhound bus ticket to take her and 100 pounds of personal effects to any other state than Texas.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
"Hey, Austin is the fastest growing city in the country. What should we do about that?"

"CERTAINLY NOT IMPROVE OUR INFRASTRUCTURE!"

*slaps palms against their chest*

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

XCPuff posted:

I voted for Davis. I almost didn't because of her commercial where she stated she wanted to raise the minimum wage.

gently caress that.

We sure wouldn't want to be a living-wage hellhole like Seattle.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

1stGear posted:

"Hey, Austin is the fastest growing city in the country. What should we do about that?"

It's literally the same line of thought as the "maybe if we don't fund roads then everyone will abandon cars" one.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

It's literally the same line of thought as the "maybe if we don't fund roads then everyone will abandon cars" one.

Prop 1 failed?? :smith:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

1stGear posted:

And you can forget about those commutes being short thanks to the mix of "preserve neighborhood character" folks who look like they are going to win (especially because you just know who will turn out to runoffs).

But they'll have their 20% homestead exemption so I guess we're entering full FYGM territory?

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

JosefStalinator posted:

My voting experience - I walked into my polling booth, and the dude in front of me was a black dude without proper ID having to fill out a provisional ballot, and leaving instead of voting.

The system works!

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Badger of Basra posted:

He was write-in, apparently. I knew I didn't recognize him from the ballot.

In Harris County they had a list of approved write in candidates, but I couldn't immediately figure out how to vote of the screen for them so I continued with my 14 pages of ballot.

My voting location in Spring Branch was for 2 precincts, one predominately white and one that encompassed a few apartment buildings. It was located in the middle of the white neighborhood and about 3 miles from the apartments. It was real easy for me to vote, but hell for anyone that was likely to vote D based on demographics alone.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Here's my song for the morning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCEUOfiZsnA

Time to update the OP, I guess. :negative:

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
If anyone honestly thought Davis was going to win they were smoking some really good poo poo.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Kinetica posted:

If anyone honestly thought Davis was going to win they were smoking some really good poo poo.

Everyone knew she was going to lose. The fact that she did worse than Bill White in 2010 means that all the Battleground Texas efforts were completely worthless. Texas isn't going to turn purple for another generation, if then.

If she had lost by less than 10 points it would have been a decent showing. If it had been less than 5 points it would have been a major triumph.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Kinetica posted:

Yeah.
I'm reading Twitter and the gloating by Republicans about the 'false' war on women (many of them hashtagged with #AbortionBarbie) -- they are claiming she lost heavily with Texas women.

Also its being reported that one of the Battleground Texas ladies had a Twitter meltdown, but I didn't click through because the urls all go through RW sites.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Why did you mark straight party and then fill it all out basically anyhow. Isn't that a spoilt ballot of some sort? Also, you marked Libertarian. What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Rabble posted:

Prop 1 failed?? :smith:

It failed hard, 58 to 42.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

It failed hard, 58 to 42.

Wait, what? I thought Prop 1 was the Texas Road funding that passed? Or are y'all talking about something else?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Why did you mark straight party and then fill it all out basically anyhow. Isn't that a spoilt ballot of some sort? Also, you marked Libertarian. What the gently caress is wrong with you?

In my state, you can vote straight party and then "scratch" for any other office where you want to vote differently. Not sure about Texas but that ballot looks similar to what I used yesterday.

Fairly certain the only way to really spoil a ballot is to fill in two ovals for one office (where you only vote 1) or writing in an in-eligible write-in candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Svanja posted:

Wait, what? I thought Prop 1 was the Texas Road funding that passed? Or are y'all talking about something else?

Texas prop 1 passed. Austin's prop 1 (our decade-too-late attempt to get additional rail in the city) failed.