Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
give a snare rush rush rush rrrran-snare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
please listen to the album at least 10 times before commenting

thanks

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
i'm 4 listens in and really liking it a lot, except produk and 180db

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
back around '96 aphex twin did music for a Pirelli ad. the company apparently sent the DAT tape containing the music back to richard four times because they tough something was wrong with it

i wish there was a better version available on youtube, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP45TruKSVM

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

if anyone wants to hear my thoughts on syro, i compiled them int oa very zip file right here:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol owned

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

lemme guess the zip was his thoughts and not the files lol

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
his thoughts just happened to be the syro album bit for bit

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

if anyone wants to hear my thoughts on syro, i compiled them int oa very zip file right here:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao come on dude

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Necc0 posted:

lmao come on dude

blatantly breaking the rules and i got a 1 day probation

valeyard posting about his dreams gets a month lol

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

dreams are far more dangerous.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

blatantly breaking the rules and i got a 1 day probation

valeyard posting about his dreams gets a month lol

I Badmouthed Palm

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
heard the album, definitely good, definitely anachronistic. love the dippy acid-jazz title track, it sounds like something out of an old amiga demo.

still a letdown to hear a good album from a guy who's built his name on greatness especially after all the hype with the blimp/graffiti/tor poo poo but hell it's still a good album.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

duTrieux. posted:

dreams are far more dangerous.

imagine a wrestling boot stamping on the mat beside a face, forever

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it sounds like he wants to release more stuff so here's hoping

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

plus this album is apparently just stuff he made over the past 7 years

apparently now that his kids are a bit older he can actually dedicate studio time

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

back around '96 aphex twin did music for a Pirelli ad. the company apparently sent the DAT tape containing the music back to richard four times because they tough something was wrong with it

i wish there was a better version available on youtube, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP45TruKSVM

tbh that sounds exactly like the type of story he makes up all the time

also, the track is garden of linmiri off one of the joyrex eps

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

i do not regret buying this album. it's good poo poo imho

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJHsT8kEyzs

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
oh man i wish there was stereo panning in that video

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
okay i've been listening to this a while and i'd finally like to state my opinion about it

i was really caught off guard about a couple of things: the lack of ambience and processing that is present in other albums. it sounds to be a lot dryer and pure synthesis, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. another thing that is apparent is this album is probably the least inventive of the six he's released. that goes without saying that it's rare that an artist brings something to the table that sounds entirely original every time they release something, so it's not a bad thing. it's just extra noticeable since we're used to this with aphex twin

i've been listening to this album a lot and i see myself continuing to do that because it is so much more accessible than most of aphex twin's releases. even though some other albums have more impressive compositions, i feel that syro is much more versatile based on my mood. there are however some more aggressive tracks toward the end

the aspect i am most impressed with in syro is the progressive nature of some of the tracks. not only are they progressive, they change their mood entirely. 4 Bit 9d Api+E+6, one of my favorites, starts off aggressive and suddenly dips into something more chilled out. these changes don't ruin the track by no means and the transition actually make it more satisfying

needless to say, 4 Bit 9d Api+E+6 is not the most original track, as many of the tracks on this album sound like a mixture of material that other artists have made. the aggressive bouncy baseline on 4 Bit 9d Api+E+6 sound similar to Parking Orbit by DMX Krew. the uplifting fuzzy pads that start about halfway through the track sound like Norte Route by Plaid. another plaid track can be compared to the plucking sounds and melodies on Get What You Gave.

i'm also hearing lots of Luke Vibert inspired sounds both in the laid back hip hop and jungle/drum n bass elements that are present in many of Syro's tracks. a lot of known drum breaks are used that are surprisingly dry and unedited for aphex twin

i know i'm mentioning a lot about originality in this album, but it's just sort of surprising to hear it in an aphex twin release. almost all artists though are obviously using sounds that other artists use. so even though this is a first for aphex twin, i think that i'm already used to it and very happy with what he had created. i wasn't sure if he'd actually release anything ever again since it's been so long. i'm excited to hear that he has a lot of material he's completed but hasn't released. i just hope he gets it out soon

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
On the 6th album, God rested. But it was still very good

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

On the 6th album, God rested. But it was still very good

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i know i'm mentioning a lot about originality in this album, but it's just sort of surprising to hear it in an aphex twin release. almost all artists though are obviously using sounds that other artists use. so even though this is a first for aphex twin, i think that i'm already used to it and very happy with what he had created. i wasn't sure if he'd actually release anything ever again since it's been so long. i'm excited to hear that he has a lot of material he's completed but hasn't released. i just hope he gets it out soon

it is worth noting that a large number of tracks on this album were created a long time ago and essentially compiled for this album. i wanna say minipops was 07, xmas_eve was 2010, aisatsana 2012? i think those were the biggest three unreleased 'recent' productions. they do sound cohesive and not just chucked together and released, but some of this stuff has been lingering around for a while which may contribute to this feeling.

now that his kids are a bit more grown up and he can actually have studio time, i am looking forward to what's next. it sounds like that was what was hindering him actually getting stuff made and completed

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
yeah he may have been really busy with kids, so let's see what happens. before all this though he said he was going through a divorce and that's what was holding him up. not sure if he was "joking" there

also he said he had a ton more material that he could make into other albums, so maybe he just felt those tracks fit well together for syro

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

i gave it a listen and i didnt like it much

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
z0r from my experience some good albums may take multiple listens to realize if it's good or not and some you know right away. all i'm saying is this is an album you might want to listen to a few times. with me it was a total mess listening to it the first time and then i felt it was more coherent listening to it a few times more

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

u might say its the achewood of music

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
it's a good album, but I mostly come back to the first four tracks. the rest is kind of exhausting, but good for certain moods. PAPAT4 was actually better just as 2-3 min snippets from live gigs on youtube. the whole track is... not that interesting, sadly.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
i purchased this album made via synthesizers on the precious format of vinyl.

i have listened to it multiple times with friends.

it is a good album and is approved by my friends and i.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
so this came out yesterday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMK0prafzw0

and now my facebook feed is blowing up with :qq:s from aphex fans with no sense of irony

quote:

Die Antwoord just destroyed (not in a good way) one of the best Aphex Twin songs. assholes.

quote:

I have never understood why people like this "band." Every single thing I have heard from them is garbage...

quote:

At least The KLF took the time to re record the Gary Glitter tune ...

quote:

Just because it's the 21st century and nothing is sacred doesn't mean you have to jump off the bridge too. Appropriation has also become regurgitation in a huge way. Cultivate new sounds and ideas even if they are inspired or influenced by the past.
lol if u don't even notice RDJ in blackface in the video, some "fan"

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

if they flip out when die antwoord samples aphex how did they react when kanye did?

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

jony ive aces posted:

so this came out yesterday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMK0prafzw0

and now my facebook feed is blowing up with :qq:s from aphex fans with no sense of irony

lol if u don't even notice RDJ in blackface in the video, some "fan"

hell, if they're fans they'd realise that rdj and die antwoord like each other and he probably gave them express permission to use ageispolis

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have been an afx fan longer than some of you have walked the earth, and that antwoord jam is fuckin dope. tight

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

die antwoord are cool

I dunno if rdj likes them though he doesn't seem to care about who samples his stuff he just sees it as easy money

when he did a bunch of remixes and even recorded a track for a NIN album, he publicly said he hadn't heard the album and isn't interested in hearing it

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Amethyst posted:

die antwoord are cool

I dunno if rdj likes them though he doesn't seem to care about who samples his stuff he just sees it as easy money

when he did a bunch of remixes and even recorded a track for a NIN album, he publicly said he hadn't heard the album and isn't interested in hearing it

in the nmd afx thread (shut up) someone posted some photos of them hanging out back when they were doing australia in 2012

e:

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

i feel like they're the same kinda people

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Miley Virus posted:

i feel like they're the same kinda people

aphex twin got paid for a 'lemonheads remix' that was literally him answering the door to find the courier asking for his remix master, going up into his studio, grabbing some random poo poo and saying "here you go mate"

yeah theyre the same kind of ppl

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Miley Virus posted:

in the nmd afx thread (shut up) someone posted some photos of them hanging out back when they were doing australia in 2012

e:

oh cool

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
this album is good but i still like girl/boy song more than most songs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

i watched the ugly boy vid

is that actually RDJ, or someone else wearing a mask?

• Locked thread