Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah to both of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etjester
Jul 14, 2008

[insert text here]

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Skyhold outfit DLC, only $5.99!

It will more likely be bundled in with another DLC like the Stolen Memory dress.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I suspect we'll get both, actually. Mass Effect had outfit DLCs and new outfits as part of bigger DLC. If Inquisition doesn't completely poo poo the bed, I'm sure we'll have an entire wardrobe by the end.

If anyone's curious about the multiplayer (I know I am) there's a stream tomorrow at 8PM central.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Meis posted:

Its probably something they want to implement but have been forced not to because of deadlines. I blame EA.

The last time this was said about a Bioware game was ME3, where Bioware devs came out and said EA asked them if they needed more time and said they didnt need it.

Maybe Bioware cut it themselves because eventually you have to ship the game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You guys are the reason why cosmetic DLC is a thing in the first place

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010
It doesn't matter what your casual wear is, you'll still be boss sitting on your throne.

http://i.imgur.com/jML7Gv1.jpg

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

SelfOM posted:

It doesn't matter what your casual wear is, you'll still be boss sitting on your throne.

I want Flaming Jammies to match my Flaming Sword.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Archimago posted:

I want Flaming Jammies to match my Flaming Sword.

Dragon Age: Immolation.

e: 40 hours of Hawke and Varric laughing as Kirkwall burns to the ground around them.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 5, 2014

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Shugojin posted:

Dragon Age: Immolation.

e: 40 hours of Hawke and Varric laughing as Kirkwall burns to the ground around them.

I want this game

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Something I've noticed from the old Redcliffe demo and now this new gameplay trailer is that Leliana now has the murder-knife, making her the most dangerous person in the world.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
All I want from BioWare is a stream where they leak that you can indeed put Kirkwall to death. The french society stuff is good, but you will sell me forever when you show that we can just ignore the rift opening in Kirkwall for a while and come back to green ruins. Because I will gladly sacrifice Kirkwall to save the rest of the world.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So for those missions you can send your people on to earn money and rep for your cause over time, are those follower only or can you go out and take care of them personally if you want too?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

SelfOM posted:

Fantasy Shepard looking GOOOOD.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

So for those missions you can send your people on to earn money and rep for your cause over time, are those follower only or can you go out and take care of them personally if you want too?

Pretty sure they're follower-only but occasionally (often?) serve as prereqs for stuff you head out and do.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

GreatGreen posted:

They're "adviser" jobs. You decide if you're going to have Josephine, Leliana or Cullen deal with it, and they send their type of man for the job: diplomats, spies or soldiers. Who you send to do a job will affect the outcomes and what follow ups are available: did Josephine score you an important audience that you need to attend or did Cullen accidentally invade a sovereign nation? Not a lot of real examples yet, though. But near as I can tell they are not something that you can choose to handle on your own; they are meant to be handled by your delegates and don't offer anything more than that.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lotish posted:

They're "adviser" jobs. You decide if you're going to have Josephine, Leliana or Cullen deal with it, and they send their type of man for the job: diplomats, spies or soldiers. Who you send to do a job will affect the outcomes and what follow ups are available: did Josephine score you an important audience that you need to attend or did Cullen accidentally invade a sovereign nation? Not a lot of real examples yet, though. But near as I can tell they are not something that you can choose to handle on your own; they are meant to be handled by your delegates and don't offer anything more than that.

So I'm probably not going to be able to completely ignore Leliana, huh?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You can send out whoever you want, but they can only be on one assignment at a time.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

And some take longer than others to do whatever job you assign them. In one example, Josephine and Leliana could handle a job in 15 minutes while Cullen took 20. I think in another example, it was exactly reversed. Since you can have them all doing stuff at the same time but each can only do one thing at a time, sometimes you may want to mix and match them to tasks for maximum gains.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So I'm probably not going to be able to completely ignore Leliana, huh?

Unfortunately, no. There are some things that literally only she can do, because she's in charge of scouts. Cameron said that basically any time you want to go to an area for the first time, you need to scout it first, and that's her bag. Also, she'll show up to propose missions, or propose clandestine solutions to problems. You can turn her down, but she's going to talk to you at some point.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 5, 2014

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I know this is going to be like dragon age 2, but i hope it will not.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lotish posted:

Unfortunately, no. There are some things that literally only she can do, because she's in charge of scouts. Cameron said that basically any time you want to go to an area for the first time, you need to scout it first, and that's her bag. Also, she'll show up to propose missions, or propose clandestine solutions to problems. You can turn her down, but she's going to talk to you at some point.

See, if I could trust her to not stab people that wouldn't be a problem. God damnit.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Lotish posted:

:spergin: She's in charge of the spies and covert agents not the scouts.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I'm just going off that last stream with Cameron, where he opened up the Storm Coast, but doing so required using Secrets (which would basically be Leliana) to send scouts. He said it was something you would do pretty frequently.

Actually there is room for interpretation here: It's possible that scouts are always sent regardless of what functionary you pick for the mission to start. In this case you send scouts and Leliana uses agents to find people in hiding, while in another case maybe you send scouts while Cullen is building a fort or something.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 5, 2014

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Is the "Scout the Storm Coast" text from the game? It looks weird with it being a completely different font from the rest.

I haven't seen many screenshots from the game so far - are they using that all-caps font for the majority of the text? That's a lot of all-caps for general reading.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Honestly haven't been paying attention to it. They use regular lower case in several places, like the map screen, so I guess the all caps (with proper capitals just being slightly taller) style is just for the war table.

edit: I take that back, the all caps style is also used on parts of but not all of the map screen. I have no loving idea, really.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 5, 2014

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Is there a website or an article that shows how many units Mass Effect 3 sold or how well Bioware has been doing financially since their public image took a hit? I plan to write a review once I get DA:I and I'd like to have some data behind it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spikeguy posted:

Is there a website or an article that shows how many units Mass Effect 3 sold or how well Bioware has been doing financially since their public image took a hit? I plan to write a review once I get DA:I and I'd like to have some data behind it.

This is likely the best you'll get for data. One problem is Bioware is a part of EA, so publicly there's not much information on the Bioware division, besides blogger hearsay.
http://investor.ea.com/releases.cfm?ReleasesType=Earnings

http://ir.ea.com/
That might help.

Again, the issue is software downloads aren't really tracked for public consumption, so you're stuck with the numbers for hardcopy sales and a fuckton of misanalysed data.

You could also take a look at morningstar. Check out the 5Y stock performance and see if anything coincides with a few week window of games' releasing, and muddy up your causation and correlation a bit.
http://www.morningstar.com/invest/stocks/89392-ea-electronic-arts-inc.html

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 5, 2014

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It's not numbers, but there was also that rebranding EA did for a handful of studios that was rolled back after DA2/SWTOR/ME3. Calling your studio Bioware's Armpit wasn't quite the honeypot they thought it was.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Isn't there still a Bioware branch working on the new Command and Conquer

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It's not a BioWare branch anymore and I think they canceled it.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
What the gently caress is with this all caps poo poo for an 80k word script for a rpg video game

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Basic Chunnel posted:

Isn't there still a Bioware branch working on the new Command and Conquer

You mean the F2P browser game?

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's not a BioWare branch anymore and I think they canceled it.

They did, a long time ago.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

From the sounds of it they are the same as the companion missions from Old Republic's crafting system. Stuff you fire and forget in order to get extra loot.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!
Some of them also open up previously locked off areas in zones (bridge repair in the snowy area, a bridge over the toxic gas in the Western Approach).

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

MadJackMcJack posted:

From the sounds of it they are the same as the companion missions from Old Republic's crafting system. Stuff you fire and forget in order to get extra loot.

I never played more than about 5 minutes of the Old Republic myself. I watched a lets play of an awful lot of it, but I didn't really focus on any of the non-story there, the mechanics passed me right by. Were they couched in lore stuff there too? Plus only some of these ones are repeatable, which doesn't sound particularly MMO-y.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Drifter posted:

This is likely the best you'll get for data. One problem is Bioware is a part of EA, so publicly there's not much information on the Bioware division, besides blogger hearsay.
http://investor.ea.com/releases.cfm?ReleasesType=Earnings

http://ir.ea.com/
That might help.

Again, the issue is software downloads aren't really tracked for public consumption, so you're stuck with the numbers for hardcopy sales and a fuckton of misanalysed data.

You could also take a look at morningstar. Check out the 5Y stock performance and see if anything coincides with a few week window of games' releasing, and muddy up your causation and correlation a bit.
http://www.morningstar.com/invest/stocks/89392-ea-electronic-arts-inc.html

Thanks for this. According to morningstar, the stock prices dipped following the release of Mass Effect 3 until it bottomed out around $11 in September of 2012. It has not gone that low again and is currently around $40 so there has been a large increase since that time period.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

I never played more than about 5 minutes of the Old Republic myself. I watched a lets play of an awful lot of it, but I didn't really focus on any of the non-story there, the mechanics passed me right by. Were they couched in lore stuff there too? Plus only some of these ones are repeatable, which doesn't sound particularly MMO-y.

From the live streams, it looks like there are basically two types of missions you can send people on. The larger quest-related ones that open up new areas or advance the plot (or both), like "Find Mother Giselle" which unlock the Hinterlands area, where you can then travel to in order to undertake Mother Giselles quest(s) and also explore and do a whole load of other stuff, and the smaller resource gathering missions; You send someone, 15 minutes to several real time hours later they return with loot/power/whatever. The latter kind seem to spawn periodically as your play, a reason to check back at the keep now and again, and appear mostly there for you to have something to use your three advisors for, when you don't want to advance the plot and unlock new areas, and they don't involve you personally going out on the map. Not much story to them apart from a small text snippet to help pick the best advisor for the job.

If you played Assassins Creed: Black Flag, the smaller missions sound a lot like the trade missions there.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tl;dr it's basically just some Facebook wait for energy poo poo with only the most basic of story context thrown in there.

When they first added it in Assassin's Creed it was kind of a harmless novelty, but it never actually adds anything substantial other than mindless timewasting to your game. Bonus points if the game allows your friends to help you speed up the wait!

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Tl;dr it's basically just some Facebook wait for energy poo poo with only the most basic of story context thrown in there.

When they first added it in Assassin's Creed it was kind of a harmless novelty, but it never actually adds anything substantial other than mindless timewasting to your game. Bonus points if the game allows your friends to help you speed up the wait!

Well, the practical nature of it is just "press button, wait for stuff", but it does have a purpose: It is a way for people who do not want to do a lot of exploration or sidequests, the "just play it for the story" crowd, to get on with what they want, while still earning some passive stuff on the side so they can buy perks and whatnot and not just scrape by with the bare minimum the story missions throw your way. They might not be ablet to make Mastercrafted Swords of Badassitude, but they can do *some* crafting even if they don't feel like scouring the wastes for more leather hide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

GhostBoy posted:

Well, the practical nature of it is just "press button, wait for stuff", but it does have a purpose: It is a way for people who do not want to do a lot of exploration or sidequests, the "just play it for the story" crowd, to get on with what they want, while still earning some passive stuff on the side so they can buy perks and whatnot and not just scrape by with the bare minimum the story missions throw your way. They might not be ablet to make Mastercrafted Swords of Badassitude, but they can do *some* crafting even if they don't feel like scouring the wastes for more leather hide.

Just....need....two...more...hides...

On an unrelated note, I am interested to see the multiplayer; singleplayer gameplay is more important, but if the multiplayer is ME3 with dragons and staves that poo poo could be a lot of fun.

Most importantly: Will playing online increase my Inquisitorial Readiness?

• Locked thread