Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Sometimes, in a band situation, that's totally appropriate, because if the way it cuts through the mix.
Thanks! ;)

And yeah, my tone by itself is generally pretty horrific, but I like the way it sits in the mix and I never have trouble being heard. Other guitarists have bitched, accusing me of having 'big iron' amps (the SLO got this accusation more often than not), I just got to the point where I pulled out my SPL meter and showed that I wasn't LOUDER, just CLEARER.

Had a buddy recently who's way WAY above my level as far as talent and professionalism goes, ask me recently to help him automate his rig, implement more MIDI functionality and basically streamline things a bit. Went to a show with him to troubleshoot and his band members reminded him to ask me how to help him cut through the mix, I was confused because he's rocking 4x12 cabs with V30s in them, which are really clear speakers and he has a great signal path and great amplification.

Hits sound check and he's got more gain going than I do in my metal band. Walk up to the stage, twiddle a few knobs, drop the gain a bit, sound guy freaks out because all of a sudden he's cutting through like a knife. Sounds like rear end by itself, but it 'sits' right when everyone else is playing.

Anyway, wordswordswords, listen to where your frequencies fall into the total spectrum used by the band as a whole, find your spot and settle into it.

Edit: Oh, and single-coil Lace Sensors are like, $50/ea w/free shipping if you order directly from Lace Music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

unlawfulsoup posted:

I like strats and have played a lot of USA and MiM ones, and have seen nothing to really indicate as such. The only difference is sometimes the amount of pieces used, unless we are talking custom shop or some special run.
That's totally fair. I love Strats in theory but I can't play those round radius necks, because I play lots of bends, up high, and I prefer big flat frets for two octaves so I can play anything, anywhere. It's harder to fret barre chords down low but soloing up high is a joy and the action can be low without the strings fretting out.

Also, most Fenders seem to weigh a ton to me but that's because I play basswood and Swamp Ash most of the time.

To each their own.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Have any of you dudes talking about guitars made good music,

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

euphronius posted:

Not me. I can barely play. I am terrible.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

I think I have, but GBS disagrees.

Also, iostream.h should never ever thank me for anything. You're too cool for school and modesty is a very nice trait to possess.

Has euphronius ever made any music? Good? Bad? Music? Seems fair to ask, since they asked first.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 5, 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

Also, iostream.h should never ever thank me for anything. You're too cool for school and modesty is a very nice trait to possess.

Has euphronius ever made any music? Good? Bad? Music? Seems fair to ask, since they asked first.

you dont need to be able to make good music to know what it soudns like.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

euphronius posted:

This is good music right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11_nsW151tg

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

no thats p bad op

Im sorry you have not taste

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dr. Faustus posted:

That's totally fair. I love Strats in theory but I can't play those round radius necks, because I play lots of bends, up high, and I prefer big flat frets for two octaves so I can play anything, anywhere. It's harder to fret barre chords down low but soloing up high is a joy and the action can be low without the strings fretting out.

Also, most Fenders seem to weigh a ton to me but that's because I play basswood and Swamp Ash most of the time.

To each their own.

The weight varies a lot unit by unit. I have a MiM that is light and I dumped an MiA years ago that was heavier. My first real guitar was a MiM Strat that I still own so I have a soft spot for them, but they are kind of a love/hate instrument for a lot of people.

euphronius posted:

I can play the grenadiers march like a boss.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

euphronius posted:

Yeah, and consider this my entrance to FAUSTUS CHALLENGE also. However please bear in mind, this was 4 years ago and I'd finished writing this piece about 4 days before recording it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

There is no such thing as accounting, for taste.

HollisBrown posted:

Yeah, and consider this my entrance to FAUSTUS CHALLENGE also. However please bear in mind, this was 4 years ago and I'd finished writing this piece about 4 days before recording it.

This is a pro-click and I'm hugely impressed by your fingerpicking style, as should anyone who listens to it. I love this composition, and the execution is beautiful (not to mention this simple production that lets the performance shine). I'd love to know what your influences are, I'm guessing Chet and maybe a bit of Travis? Or maybe you're younger and got there a different route? I'm sorry, I know nothing about you. I do know this is a fantastic piece of fingerpicking finesse and I only wish I had this talent. My Dad plays like this, and I think you'd enjoy picking with him.

I love fingerpicking wizards and I count you among them. This is a beautiful piece. It's the sort of thing I know I can't do and my hat is off to you.

Can we at least agree Tommy Emmanuel is one of the best guitarists on Earth?

Everyone, listen to this Tindeck link. Download it.

In all seriousness, a person who plays like this should NEVER feel the need to say anything like, "please bear in mind, this was 4 years ago and I'd finished writing this piece about 4 days before recording it." It's loving amazing and beautiful and articulate in a way that any music-lover should appreciate.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 5, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

euphronius posted:

Nope not me, depending on the day of the week I'm either recording horrible crap for radio station ads, being a hack in a bar-hopping cover band or being a loud hack in an original metal band pretending I'm nowhere near as old as I am.

When I actually get free time to myself I like to pretend LSD is still as easily located as it was while I was in art school and recording horribly noisy poo poo pretending I'm in Sigur Ros or something.

What I lack in talent, I make up for in having fun and giving no shits.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Also, iostream.h should never ever thank me for anything.
Horseshit. ;)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

HollisBrown posted:

Thats pretty good . . .

for Dwarf Fortress theme music. . .

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

euphronius posted:

Thats pretty good . . .

for Dwarf Fortress theme music. . .

I don't know what that is, but it sounds really nerdy, ergo, you must be a nerd

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

lol I just found myself standing around behind Marissa Paternoster, she's so comically short

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

HollisBrown posted:

I don't know what that is, but it sounds really nerdy, ergo, you must be a nerd
I forgot to praise your (probably painful) use of bends. What a great composition. It needs to be heard by more people.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A cool thing when watching Mystery Science Theater 3000 is seeing those lovely old surf movies that always have a band playing, seeing their ancient Telecasters and Jaguars and thinking "wow, those must be worth a fortune by now" but then realizing they're probably all at the bottom of a dump

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Dr. Faustus posted:

I forgot to praise your (probably painful) use of bends. What a great composition. It needs to be heard by more people.

You know something........... You're alright. As long as you keep complimenting me.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Send me more like that. I'll do everything I can to stay on your good side.

Goddamn that's a great piece.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

euphronius posted:

I don't claim to be any good. I am probably about what a guy my age who's been playing pretty lazily for years should sound like. And my recording setup is pretty ghetto, it's an iPad 2 with an I/O deck and garageband.

I like playing with the fake pianos and drums though.

Faustus posted some clips so I should too.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 5, 2014

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dirt posted:

I don't claim to be any good. I am probably about what a guy my age who's been playing pretty lazily for years should sound like. And my recording setup is pretty ghetto, it's an iPad 2 with an I/O deck and garageband.

Nice vibrato, flawless timing. A little repetitive (I'm just being fair) but you even show good dynamics on the guitar controls. IMHO you have a good ear for music. Really really liked the vibrato and the dynamics. Stick with it, you have good ears and that's the most important thing.

Bottom line, you ARE good. You will get even better.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

euphronius posted:

put up or shut up

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

Nice vibrato, flawless timing. A little repetitive (I'm just being fair) but you even show good dynamics on the guitar controls. IMHO you have a good ear for music. Really really liked the vibrato and the dynamics. Stick with it, you have good ears and that's the most important thing.

Bottom line, you ARE good. You will get even better.

Faustus, You're OK with me.

And yeah I started out as a jamband dork, so repetitive kinda comes with the territory.

Ps you should buy a guitar with P90's. You would like it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dirt posted:

nice music

to drive a Dodge Shadow to Applebees.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

euphronius posted:

nice music

to drive a Dodge Shadow to Applebees.

man check out this guy he is making so many jokes

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

gnarlyhotep posted:

put up or shut up
A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS!

(Don't do it.)

Dirt posted:

Faustus, You're OK with me.

And yeah I started out as a jamband dork, so repetitive kinda comes with the territory.

Ps you should buy a guitar with P90's. You would like it.
It's next on my list. I wonder which Ibanez I'll put them in? :)

HollisBrown might just easily be the most impressive guitarist in this shithole of a thread.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 5, 2014

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

Stux posted:

why are there only two octaves on those

I would guess due to their only practical use is being seen in Jordan Rudess's hands on the cover of some keyboardist wank magazine.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Morning catchup time, seeing as this thread is only active when I'm sleeping:

muike posted:

probably not super amazing due to the fact that the middle single coil is basically already useless (imo) and only exists to complement split positions. it would overpower the weak split humbuckers very easily unless it was a very weak pickup itself
I cut my homemade masonite pickup for a reverse slanted middle single coil and it's plenty nice by itself, sort of a jack of all trades between the neck and bridge, more versatile as a standalone. I'm using this thing I threw together from an old low end greco pickup (yellowed by previous owner, god knows how, the weathering was really inconsistent), a mostly demagnetised alnico bar from a muddy epi pickup and some neodymium craft magnets:

Sounds pretty good but then I like ceramic single coils so take that with a pinch of salt.

Still, that's only a slightly enhanced version of what middle pickups do in general. That said, I probably wouldn't put a p90 there, no. I've only used them in the neck but that definitely feels like where they belong to me - hsp90 neck and bucker bridge is my standard HH rout setup.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Does anyone even use the middle pickup on it's own? Ever?
I use it on both of my strat-style guitars for the above reasons, and also as an opportunity to add extra sounds to a guitar for versatility. I definitely agree that they're more useful for adding flavour in mixed positions but I definitely get a lot of use out of them by themselves.

Dr. Faustus posted:

[longwinded explanation for his use of the word tonewood]
You could've just said I was right dude.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Eh, it did leave me feeling cold but it's good measuring by technical proficiency, so that counts IMO.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Not me. I can barely play. I am terrible.
Pretty much this. I've written a few nice melodies and even whole songs but getting bands together here is a pain in the rear end (there are like 5 drummer in the state and they're all in 5+ bands already) and I'm already bad at organising myself let alone other people. I'm going to bug a drummer I know about a simple little project (drums+lead bass+maybe a vocalist because I can't sing at all well even while not trying to play an instrument at the same time) which I think will work out nicely.

Aoi-chan posted:

I would guess due to their only practical use is being seen in Jordan Rudess's hands on the cover of some keyboardist wank magazine.
The first time I saw his dumb wizard thing was at the boring dream theater gig I think I mentioned earlier in the thread, and I had to stifle a laugh because I was there with someone who really, really likes them.

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 5, 2014

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Since there's a bit of pickup chat going on, what's a few favorites around here.

Personally I adore a Super Distortion; now the reason I like it isn't it's normal sound, but the sound you get by putting both coils in parallel. It has a great single-coil-esque tone while being a little bit fuller. Plus it still sounds pretty great as a normal humbucker; I like bright pickups so ceramics are perfectly okay with me.

I also like Seymour Duncan Antiquity II in my Jazzmaster; they literally provide my most favorite sounds out of a guitar, especially when it's completely clean.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

one day, i'd like to put two jazzmaster pickups in a jaguar and play that forever even though it really wouldn't sound much different

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

umalt posted:

Since there's a bit of pickup chat going on, what's a few favorites around here.

Personally I adore a Super Distortion; now the reason I like it isn't it's normal sound, but the sound you get by putting both coils in parallel. It has a great single-coil-esque tone while being a little bit fuller. Plus it still sounds pretty great as a normal humbucker; I like bright pickups so ceramics are perfectly okay with me.

I also like Seymour Duncan Antiquity II in my Jazzmaster; they literally provide my most favorite sounds out of a guitar, especially when it's completely clean.

Bridge: Bareknuckle Nailbomb Alnico 5, great definition, overall sound, and also sounds great split. Could not ask for a better bridge pickup.
Neck: GFS Dream 90 HSP90 for 2H guitars, not sure on single coil sizes, Dimarzio Air Norton S is ridiculously bassy but the highs sound great and it is also really, really good split.
Middle: nothing in particular at this point. To be honest most strat SC's I've tried sound pretty same-y compared to the wide variation in humbuckers so that probably indicates I really don't have enough experience with them to comment.

Favourite sound overall is my pacifica: Air Norton S neck, GFS Brassbottom middle (single coil with brass plate, supposed to be p90-ish), and Nailbomb bridge. Splits on both buckers and individual toggles for each pickup. All 3 on, especially with neck split sounds really, really nice to me, sustain could be better but yeah. Might not be to others tastes.

Also, here's the masonite pickguard mentioned above (colour isn't uneven, that's just the lighting):

Sealed it with mod podge and then coated with satin polyurethane spray over the past few days. Leaving it as is because I like it. It's far from perfect and well suited to the thread, but IMO I didn't do bad for a first timer who doesn't have a router or a suitable saw with more reach than a hacksaw. Open screw hole on the middle pickup isn't my fault - its screws are really close to where the pickup itself starts. Some of the pickup screwholes don't look quite on center but the magnets line up under the strings nicely enough. Didn't sand down the other screwholes because of laziness, not wanting to weaken them further and because it already looks ghetto so it's kinda what I'm going for.
Sounds real nice acoustically over the chamber underneath it which is all I wanted from it and has the backwards slanted middle pickup so I'm satisfied.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sleepflower posted:

You could've just said I was right dude.
Sure, I could have; except I think the real truth is more nuanced and so I tried to articulate that.
I guess I failed.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
My new favourites are the Fender's ripoff of Gretsch pickups

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

Sure, I could have; except I think the real truth is more nuanced and so I tried to articulate that.
I guess I failed.
Brevity is the soul of getting people to read your poo poo.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

euphronius posted:

As a person who grew up in the 80s and 90s I am sad you young people are reduced to listening to the good music I listened to 20 years ago.

My hometown seems to be travelling backwards in time, all the kids play retro metal/punk/rock.
I started in mid nineties and we were laughing at the "old dudes" in denim vests playing 80's metal back then. Now it's all about the denim vests with patches from bands their dad's might have listened.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i would actually be down with hair metal making a retro comeback but i think we're actually at the point of the mid-90s being the retro revival zone

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

For all this neck talk. So it's easy to get a rough lovely feeling neck treated to make it smooth and glossy with just oil, or does it need to be painted?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
the bass i got from rondo came with a super goopy glossy finish and i just sanded the hell out of it and it feels awesome now. take that as you will.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

fappenmeister posted:

For all this neck talk. So it's easy to get a rough lovely feeling neck treated to make it smooth and glossy with just oil, or does it need to be painted?

tru-oil which is more of a varnish will build up like that to a gloss finish but tung or danish oil or whatever has more of a satin finish, closer to raw wood if you only use a few coats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
here's an interestin lookin jalopy. I like it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261634972746

I'd add more switches though

• Locked thread