Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

SynthOrange posted:

Why does my car have tits and a romance questline now?

BioWare is making Just Cause 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New Concept Hole posted:

You are kidding if you think no one wants to romance the indestructible Mako.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

al-azad posted:

And yeah, JC2 didn't officially support mods but they basically turned a blind eye to it and I know the multiplayer mod is supported by Steam. The only difference between DLC and in-game purchases is that Valve won't get a cut of the money. I'll condemn the poo poo out of it if the game is locked up tight but Square and Avalanche have to know that will spell the death of the only community (PC) that still plays the game 5 years later.

You are being overtly dramatic, because mod adoption is fairly negligible in relation to the consumer base for non-TES/Fallout games.
Now, the generated "outrage" and its effect on the public image of the game - Square has a PR crew to calculate it and consider its worth.

Personally, I am past the point of getting mad at AAA gaming and I am happy that JC3 is even being made (although I am way more hyped for the Mad Max game from Avalanche).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The MSJ posted:

You are kidding if you think no one wants to romance the indestructible Mako.

B-baka. It's not like I wanted you to climb that mountain and then roll over.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

New Concept Hole posted:

(X) Seduce Bolo Santosi
(A) Scrape fork on plate

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'm in the mood for a city builder, what are people's thoughts on Banished and Anno 2070?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

New Concept Hole posted:

Drive a car for 10 seconds and now it wants to gently caress you. What crazy apocalyptic car loving future is this game taking place in?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

al-azad posted:

I meant Steam Workshop. Team Fortress 2 is one of the poster children of a microtransaction funded game and not only can you mod the poo poo out of it but Valve created a platform for people to distribute their mods and anyone else who wants to join the program.
It's again a different thing, Team Fortress 2 mods are curated and continue being supported because it's a multiplayer game that people will just keep playing. Just Cause 3 is a singleplayer game and nobody will keep curating its workshop even a couple of months after release because there's no payoff.

Not officially supporting mods is also different than closing the system for the sake of an in-game currency. Every game that has this is closed tight because it wouldn't make sense otherwise if you could add some coins via mods.

I appreciate the positive thinking but a screenshot like that (with an in-game currency, renting) suggests it will be just like every other microtransaction-driven game out there: closed tight specifically against modding. There's no reason to suspect some innovative system will be developed that will support both that could gently caress them over because they somehow wouldn't care about profits in their specifically designed microtransaction scheme.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Leper Residue posted:

Drive a car for 10 seconds and now it wants to gently caress you. What crazy apocalyptic car loving future is this game taking place in?

The one where you play as a dragon.
:nws:
http://i.imgur.com/SMtmgko.gif

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 5, 2014

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Drifter posted:

The one where you play as a dragon.

I was wondering how they'd work product placement into Dragon Age Inquisition.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Palpek posted:

It's again a different thing, Team Fortress 2 mods are curated and continue being supported because it's a multiplayer game that people will just keep playing. Just Cause 3 is a singleplayer game and nobody will keep curating its workshop even a couple of months after release because there's no payoff.

Not officially supporting mods is also different than closing the system for the sake of an in-game currency. Every game that has this is closed tight because it wouldn't make sense otherwise if you could add some coins via mods.

I appreciate the positive thinking but a screenshot like that (with an in-game currency, renting) suggests it will be just like every other microtransaction-driven game out there: closed tight specifically against modding. There's no reason to suspect some innovative system will be developed that will support both that could gently caress them over because they somehow wouldn't care about profits in their specifically designed microtransaction scheme.

Welp, I will agree to disagree but there is no doubt in my mind that Just Cause 3 won't be literally the same as Just Cause 2 i.e. a dozen cosmetic items and vehicles out the gate with more to come. The only difference is that Square-Enix has created a platform to give money directly to them instead of filtering it through Steam.

And I don't know how you can add digital currency using mods when all of that stuff is handled over their servers. If the game is confirmed online only, which is the only way they can monitor their digital money, then I will eat my hat.

fatherboxx posted:

You are being overtly dramatic, because mod adoption is fairly negligible in relation to the consumer base for non-TES/Fallout games.
Now, the generated "outrage" and its effect on the public image of the game - Square has a PR crew to calculate it and consider its worth.

Personally, I am past the point of getting mad at AAA gaming and I am happy that JC3 is even being made (although I am way more hyped for the Mad Max game from Avalanche).

Avalanche officially supports JC2 Multiplayer so I think they understand the value of their community that continues to support a 4+ year old game.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Fuligin posted:

I'm in the mood for a city builder, what are people's thoughts on Banished and Anno 2070?
Haven't played enough of Anno 2070 to say - but the same sort of game style as 1404 except all futurey.

Banished is pretty and most tranquil, although there are a few game concepts to get your head around, such as making sure kids happen by having enough houses for young families etc.

The main drawback of the base game's replayability was basically that the production chains were a bit short so it was a little shallow, but now it's been opened up to modding with the Steam workshop there's a bunch of things to try out, like the creamery.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

New Concept Hole posted:

I was wondering how they'd work product placement into Dragon Age Inquisition.

"Oh man, I'm thirsty, when we're done fuckin' you wanna get me a Snapple?"

"Whoa, whoa, buddy. Hey that's not cool. If you're gonna rape that elf at least do it on a full stomach. Arby's Sandwiches."

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Fuligin posted:

Two very excellent but very different games.

Banished is a pretty simple (in theory) village simulator with no tech tree so you can build anything you want if you have the materials. The challenge is mostly about building a population up without triggering a death spiral. A couple of games you'll have figured it out and it'll just be a nice chill building game.

Anno is all about supply lines and getting resource A to point B before your city starts to run out and collapse. The combat is total poo poo and should be avoided as much as possible IMO. More about exploration and figuring out most efficient routes for your goods/services.

You really can't go wrong with either. I got more playtime out of Anno I think but I recommend both.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Anno is more for people who like to see their cities grow without some crazy threats. I don't like those games myself but my girlfriend loved Anno to death specifically because she could just chill and make even more beuildings while the resources grew, then expand underwater etc.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Palpek posted:

Anno is more for people who like to see their cities grow without some crazy threats. I don't like those games myself but my girlfriend loved Anno to death specifically because she could just chill and make even more beuildings while the resources grew, then expand underwater etc.

Sounds like cookie clicker with a better UI.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

il serpente cosmico posted:

Sounds like cookie clicker with a better UI.
Well of course. Planning a city, building trade routes, expanding into more and more territory is exactly the same as a game where you just hit a single button endlessly while buying upgrades.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I have like 250 hours in Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery.

2070 is still a good game, but 1404 grabbed me more for whatever reason.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I have like 250 hours in Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery.

2070 is still a good game, but 1404 grabbed me more for whatever reason.

It was the setting for me. Building up a colonial town/settlement is way more interesting to me than futuristic space treehugger or whatever.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
2070 is gorgeous but felt a bit sterile, not as warm. In 1404 you can watch the little people. Watching little tiny people do tiny people things is one of my favourite parts of city-building games, second only to the satisfying 'thunk' noise when you put a building down.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

One direct consequence of Just Cause 3 having microtransactions is that it will have to be mod-proof because otherwise people would be able to add those cars using mods. So say goodbye to making the game actually fun with an endless grappling hook etc. like with Just Cause 2.

Have they confirmed that the diamonds are going to be microtransactions yet? They could've made an alternate currency, since when you are destabilizing regimes and whatnot you usually have to purchase things off the black market. Hell, I don't know, I'm trying to be optimistic here. If there are microtransactions, I will probably just buy it when it gets below $5. It's that easy for me.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

bagmonkey posted:

Have they confirmed that the diamonds are going to be microtransactions yet? They could've made an alternate currency, since when you are destabilizing regimes and whatnot you usually have to purchase things off the black market. Hell, I don't know, I'm trying to be optimistic here. If there are microtransactions, I will probably just buy it when it gets below $5. It's that easy for me.

The "rent" option does not bode well.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

It was the setting for me. Building up a colonial town/settlement is way more interesting to me than futuristic space treehugger or whatever.

I only played 2070, so I don't know if this is a staple of the series, but 2070 factions felt like too much cartoon characters what with the POLLUTING EVIL CORPORATION INC. vs Treehuggers-With-Unpolluting-Magic-Tech vs Reddit atheists.

Are the other games with a little more nuanced factions?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

duckfarts posted:

Yeah, that is the second biggest red flag other than that guy's tweet.

:rip: Just Cause, you only had one good game in the series, but drat was it good.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

bagmonkey posted:

duckfarts posted:

There's also the blue box at the bottom showing zero diamonds and a "Buy More" option which is like the most typical microtransaction prompt. Maybe you can earn those doing missions too, who knows.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

That's Avalanche Studios founder and creative director. It is that simple.

I don't necessarily disagree with him, because there's a whole complex of complicated concepts touched on in that statement, but jamming them into 140 characters with a 'case closed' capstone is just amazingly wrong-headed.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bieeardo posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with him, because there's a whole complex of complicated concepts touched on in that statement, but jamming them into 140 characters with a 'case closed' capstone is just amazingly wrong-headed.

Game devs have done really well with tweeting lately you see

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
It looks like you've used up your Rechargable Grappling Hook Battery! It will recharge again in 24 hours. If you want to use the grappling hook more, you can buy Premium Grappling Hook Batteries Sponsored By Duracell for only 200 gems, or 1000 gems for a six-pack.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
CLICK HERE TO LEARN HOW TO EXTEND THE MAXIMUM LENGTH OF YOUR CORD

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Bieeardo posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with him,

I do, because he's put micro-transactions and subscriptions together as "the future" when the former is killing the latter stone-dead.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I unironically expect extending the lenght of the cord to be a microtransaction. They'll probably have different names like 'titanium cord', 'diamond cord' so they will sound like upgrades. The studio will basically take the best ideas from JC2 mods and put them behind a paywall.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'm going to hold off judgement until there's some confirmation that those JC screens are real. That eurogamer article says "A source close to the project who asked not to be named verified the first image".

"A source close to the project" is the vaguest example of proof you could ever use, and usually it's just journalist speak for "This one guy who says his brother works for avalanche says it's real so it's totally real".

If it is true however, that would really suck.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/11/05/red-faction-gfwl/#more-247109

Red Faction: Guerilla ditches GFWL :woop:

GET YOUR rear end TO MARS and smash capitalism with a sledgehammer and some explosives.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Fuligin posted:

Banished has a survival spin on it so your town will get repeatedly wiped out by cold, starvation, disease or aging population not having enough babies until you know what you're doing, after that it gets fairly easy. It doesn't really have much in the way of production chains or building variety so it's not much of a replay value once you got it figured out.

Anno 2070 has two distinct factions with their own play style and goods produced(maybe scientists count as extra half-faction) and multilevel production chains that need to be spread across different islands and underwater settlements. Service buildings have circular area of effect in addition to road connection and people get really Asperger-type serious about the optimum city design(see Anno 2070 wiki).
Combat is terrible though and AI cheats blatantly on its building(the buildings are just plopped down for free and don't resemble anything like a functional city) so taking out an AI player is a huge chore, just play peaceful mode.
Be warned it has uPlay and needs to be online in Anno servers to carry items between games.
Also Anno 2070 has a pretty amazing soundtrack, check it out even if you're not going to play it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Pyromancer posted:

Banished has a survival spin on it so your town will get repeatedly wiped out by cold, starvation, disease or aging population not having enough babies until you know what you're doing, after that it gets fairly easy. It doesn't really have much in the way of production chains or building variety so it's not much of a replay value once you got it figured out.

Anno 2070 has two distinct factions with their own play style and goods produced(maybe scientists count as extra half-faction) and multilevel production chains that need to be spread across different islands and underwater settlements. Service buildings have circular area of effect in addition to road connection and people get really Asperger-type serious about the optimum city design(see Anno 2070 wiki).
Combat is terrible though and AI cheats blatantly on its building(the buildings are just plopped down for free and don't resemble anything like a functional city) so taking out an AI player is a huge chore, just play peaceful mode.
Be warned it has uPlay and needs to be online in Anno servers to carry items between games.
Also Anno 2070 has a pretty amazing soundtrack, check it out even if you're not going to play it.

I can vouch for pretty much all of these points. Anno is an incredibly chill game to play if you want to listen to beautiful music and look at pretty scenery while you tell boats what to do and make numbers go up. I know that doesn't sound like a great endorsement, but I lose like an entire afternoon every time I decide to run that game.

Banished is a much more involved experience, in my opinion, because the stakes are pretty high at any given time. The seasons are not especially long, and it's possible to get really hosed if you either expanded too quickly or otherwise didn't somehow gather enough resources to get you through the winter. Sometimes you do everything right, and then a tornado sweeps through your stockpile. Every one of your villagers has a name, though, and lives in a specific house with their family- if you're into paying attention to that sort of thing, it functions as a pretty excellent story generator.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

duckfarts posted:

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds had renting, and it was part of game currency. Still some room to be optimistic here I suppose.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ragequit posted:

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds had renting, and it was part of game currency.

It did not have, however, 80% SALE OMG BUY ALL THE GEMS RIGHT NOW banners nor did it have parts of the UI telling you what your friends just bought.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Palpek posted:

The studio will basically take the best ideas from JC2 mods and put them behind a paywall.

Personally i can't wait to spend my Gems to rent different kinds of cool sunglasses.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

It did not have, however, 80% SALE OMG BUY ALL THE GEMS RIGHT NOW banners nor did it have parts of the UI telling you what your friends just bought.

I dunno, Ravio was harping on me pretty frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

That Just Cause 3 screenshot could be showing an online component totally seperate from the main game, ala GTA Online.

• Locked thread