Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LockHeart
Apr 8, 2005

I'll make Coach Haribo proud!
A buddy of mine started a podcast about "U Talkin U2 2 Me" called "U Two Talking U2 2 Me Too? Yes" and I reccomed checking it out.

He's a funny guy who played a dancing bear once on a Thrilling Adventure time once, so you got that going for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Scott just tweeted this, Paul Scheer and Earwolf have a new podcast network called Wolfpop???

http://wolfpop.com/

(I dunno if this is actually a new thing or I just hadn't heard of it)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Ya, there was an ad for it on Hollywood Handbook today. Looks like a bunch of new podcasts recorded in the Earwolf studios under a different label for some reason.
e: maybe they figured the reason the last infusion of culture podcasts fizzled out was because people just wanted comedy from Earwolf.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 4, 2014

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

It's kind of like what they did a year ago when they added Shots Fired (rap), Startup School (start-ups), ShortWave Radio (music interviews) and other non-comedy podcasts that eventually died or moved to another network. But it definitely looks a lot more profesh. First big move of the Adam Sachs regime.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

A podcast network specifically for discussing other media? Greggy's show is a natural fit. Frankly it should be the flagship. Adam Sachs get in here and let's talk turkey.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Here is an article about Wolfpop if anyone wants to read it

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Coming soon: Beerwolf, the craft beer podcast

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Dammit. This was the time to launch Reality Show Show, guys.

This was the time

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Adam, if there ever was a time to return and answer some questions, today is the day. Not like you're super busy or anything doubling your business.

Splitsider said Paul Scheer is running this new offshoot. I'm curious if he now owns some of the company. He has enough money from being on successful sitcoms, creating his own shows, numerous acting gigs, and June's own very successful career in acting and selling shows to buy a stake.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Well this is something.

http://thesylvesterstalloneshow.wolfpop.com/audio/playlists/3969

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Very excited about Wolfpop. I'd never heard of Happy Sad Confused or its host before, but its list of previous guests is ridiculously good. Woody Allen!

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I wonder if Paul will find occasion to bring out Frank Stallone.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Tacier posted:

He's a good kid

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

So is the Sly Stone podcast a bit or....

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Definitely did not need another 5-10 weekly podcasts added to my already unwieldy list of subscriptions. Checking out I Was There Too - because of Matt Gourley and PFT, duh - it has an excellent theme tune.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

GraPar posted:

Definitely did not need another 5-10 weekly podcasts added to my already unwieldy list of subscriptions. Checking out I Was There Too - because of Matt Gourley and PFT, duh - it has an excellent theme tune.

I know! This is the last thing I needed since I recently added The Talk of Shame and HoundTall to my list. Only added Maltin's and the Sly Stone one (which is limited anyway) to my library. But a lot of them look promising, like I Was There Too, the Josh Horowitz one, and the Denzel Washington one. I'm now up to 44 subscriptions.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
It feels like an April Fool's stunt but it's November.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
First episode of I Was There Too PFT throws in a reference to 'I was a little boy but I wanted to be a big boy'

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Tacier posted:

You guessed it.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Josh Horowitz must have some crazy connections to get these guests, holy crap.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Holy poo poo, I am really loving blown away by the Wolfpop launch. There are at least 3 podcasts that are automatic subscriptions for me even before listening to the first episode (and even now that I've listened to the first episodes, I'm affirmed in my convictions) and I don't think there's a podcast they're launching that I'm not going to at least give a chance. Great job to the Earwolf empire and Paul Scheer for making this happen.

Maltin on Movies is my favorite right off the bat and holy poo poo am I going to enjoy this podcast.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

It's kind of like what they did a year ago when they added Shots Fired (rap), Startup School (start-ups), ShortWave Radio (music interviews) and other non-comedy podcasts that eventually died or moved to another network. But it definitely looks a lot more profesh. First big move of the Adam Sachs regime.

That was over two years ago, times flies. Yes, similar, but definitely more focused and with a more consistent aesthetic. We are better prepared to execute on this properly, versus what happened a few years ago.

Definitely a big move by Adam! He, Gourley and Scheer recorded a special ep of The Wolf Den today and it's being released in about a half hour. Explains the whole thing. Best episode of TWD, ever, IMHO. I'll post a link later.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Adam, if there ever was a time to return and answer some questions, today is the day. Not like you're super busy or anything doubling your business.

Splitsider said Paul Scheer is running this new offshoot. I'm curious if he now owns some of the company. He has enough money from being on successful sitcoms, creating his own shows, numerous acting gigs, and June's own very successful career in acting and selling shows to buy a stake.

Since Adam is sleeping after his all-nighter, I'll help. Paul is curating, rather than running, Wolfpop. Adam and the rest of the team are running all the operations and Paul is leading the creative charge with Gourley as the developer and Adam also part of the creative team.

I won't discuss Paul's compensation, that's his business to share or not, but I will say that he has not bought a stake in the company. We haven't sold any shares since starting the company.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

GraPar posted:

Very excited about Wolfpop. I'd never heard of Happy Sad Confused or its host before, but its list of previous guests is ridiculously good. Woody Allen!

Thanks for being excited! And yes, Woody Allen!

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012

cams posted:

Holy poo poo, I am really loving blown away by the Wolfpop launch. There are at least 3 podcasts that are automatic subscriptions for me even before listening to the first episode (and even now that I've listened to the first episodes, I'm affirmed in my convictions) and I don't think there's a podcast they're launching that I'm not going to at least give a chance. Great job to the Earwolf empire and Paul Scheer for making this happen.

Maltin on Movies is my favorite right off the bat and holy poo poo am I going to enjoy this podcast.

This makes me very happy. Thanks for sharing. I'm listening to Maltin right now for the first time! I'm now on my 5th Wolfpop show of the day...

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

jeffullrich posted:

Thanks for being excited! And yes, Woody Allen!

Oh yeah. The Murphy Group.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

jeffullrich posted:

This makes me very happy. Thanks for sharing. I'm listening to Maltin right now for the first time! I'm now on my 5th Wolfpop show of the day...
Well, to be fair, I am a huge comedy nerd who lives in southern California, so my support was pretty much a given :)

But I am really pleased by everything I've listened to from Wolfpop. Comedy Death Ray was my first podcast and I get very picky about "pure comedy" podcasts. Most of the podcasts I've gotten into since then have been moderate to high concept podcasts and it's really cool to see a lot of those from Wolfpop.

For the one negative note, because I am a human being on the internet... I worry about Matt Gourley's "I Was There Too". It's a GREAT idea but I worry about sustainability (which is funny when I will say I see a lot of potential in a podcast that is exclusively about how awesome Denzel Washington is). I'm sure there's no shortage of people to tell interesting stories about being on the set for noteworthy films, but finding people who are themselves "podcast interesting" (a term I am coining, you can email me for my address to send payment) is gonna be tough long term.

Most of those worries come from the fact that I LOVE SuperEgo and Matt Gourley, and I want to see his efforts succeed.

But it may work out great. I hope it does. Look forward to everything.

I'm really not sure how involved you are in Earwolf any more, Jeff, but based on what you've said, you take some pride in knowing Wolfpop goes well. So I want to reaffirm that I think it's a great idea, great execution, and has great potential for the future. So, good job.

jeffullrich
Nov 29, 2012
Thanks Cams. Yes, I very much want it to make people happy, thanks for the kind words.

Here is the link to The Wolf Den I mentioned above.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/wolfpop-curator-paul-scheer-podcast-developer-matt-gourley/

cams
Mar 28, 2003

jeffullrich posted:

Thanks Cams. Yes, I very much want it to make people happy, thanks for the kind words.

Here is the link to The Wolf Den I mentioned above.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/wolfpop-curator-paul-scheer-podcast-developer-matt-gourley/
Gonna be honest, never listened to an episode of "The Wolf Den" because I listen to podcasts to escape from the crushing reality of existence, but this was super interesting and I'll be delving into the archives because I am apparently fascinated by the inner workings and thoughts of those venturing into the future of audio entertainment that is podcasting.

I do, however, hope that Cake Boss shows up at some point.

EDIT: Yeah, only a few minutes into this episode they go into the exact thing I was afraid of, which they describe as "franchise podcasts". Definitely gonna be able to waste some time here.

cams fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 5, 2014

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Maltin on Movies is, surprise surprise, fantastic.

Very excited about Wolfpop and wow I really don't have time for all these shows. But I'm sure I'll somehow find myself subscribed to quite a few of them.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Very excited about Wolfpop and wow I really don't have time for all these shows. But I'm sure I'll somehow find myself subscribed to quite a few of them.
I do not understand, everyone is not an unemployed college student?

I have, doing the math, about 400 hours per week free that need to be filled with podcasts. Thank you, Wolfpop.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Where is an RSS feed for all these new Wolfpop shows?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Jeff, not that you are necessarily personally culpable for it, but I feel like your promise to avoid scummy advertisers isn't being upheld anymore. Internet loans, fantasy football gambling... Stick with pants and web hosting please! Hearing Scott try to sell me a personal loan feels dirty.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 5, 2014

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Wow the latest Professor Blastoff ends on a bummer: at about an hour in, someone gets the live news that Robin Williams had just committed suicide and they all are just kind of in shock and decide to end the podcast.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

a worthy uhh posted:

Jeff, not that you are necessarily personally culpable for it, but I feel like your promise to avoid scummy advertisers isn't being upheld anymore. Internet loans, fantasy football gambling... Stick with pants and web hosting please! Hearing Scott try to sell me a personal loan feels dirty.

Counterpoint: I don't care what you advertise if it makes you happier/more money/able to make us more free entertainment. Maybe it's years of listening to AM radio, but I am numb to it.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
What about extreme restraints dot com?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
BDSM is insanely preferable to internet gambling and scummy loans. Also, you get to listen to podcasters talk about dick-cages.

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

internet gambling is fine you huge babies

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

a worthy uhh posted:

I like the transparently scummy ones more than the ones that might be good but suck nuts. Squarespace is terrible and every time they advertise on a podcast all it does is remind me of that time I got duped by their ads.

Periodiko posted:

Wow the latest Professor Blastoff ends on a bummer: at about an hour in, someone gets the live news that Robin Williams had just committed suicide and they all are just kind of in shock and decide to end the podcast.

That's why PB rules, it's funny but it's always real as poo poo. Did I ever tell you guys that it's my baby crying in the Yoga episode? That was a fun day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Unless you have a legit gambling problem, there is nothing wrong with betting on fantasy football or real-life football. Just because it's illegal does not make it scummy. Marijuana is illegal in most places but I don't think it's immoral to sell vape pens and medical marijuana delivery services like Doug Benson does.