Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Dias posted:

Man, the familiar that eats hearts and transforms them in soul hearts trivialized the gently caress out of my second ever Azazel run and got me my first Mom's Heart kill. Two full rows of hearts and fear mini-Brimstone make for quite a powerful character.

I got this on my very first run on the first floor boss. It was easy mode for the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Everyone enjoy your killer runs now, before you unlock a bunch of other stuff and your item pool gets diluted.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I have become Death

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is the poop useful in any way?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kurtofan posted:

Is the poop useful in any way?

If you mean the item that makes you drop a poop, it can be useful for blocking off hallways or routes enemies could take to you. It's also good for a once-per-room chance of a coin/bomb/key. If you have another option though totally take it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
which one

also pro tip, if you have a decent build with soy milk+guppy mode DO NOT GET BRIMSTONE

sure you'll be able to spit out brimstone by just tapping the button but the damage is so bad and you lose your fly capacity almost entirely

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Infamy is an amazing item to have.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
This might be useful for some people.

Apparently going through a spiked gate doesn't count against you if you're going for Basement Boy and related challenges.

I got basement Boy after going through a spiked gate as my only source of damage. Could be a bug but.....

not sure if that was true in the original.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I think that was the same in the original, but devil deals counted. I'm not sure if it's the same now.

Also, how the hell do you unlock Samson? I have both Basement and Spelunker Boy, I've definitely gone thorough two levels with no damage.

Or is that two complete areas? I'm not bothered, he's a bit poo poo anyway.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Most annoying boss to me is Mega Fatty. He's usually super easy, except for when he suddenly just lunges and hits you before you can even move. Considering how telegraphed most of his moves are and how he already has a high jump, the lunge always manages to get me.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I just had to Judas runs with great item combinations. The first one was the Gnawed Leaf and the Ludovico effect.
I don't exactly know what the leaf does, but it says "unbreakable" when you pick it up, you get a SMB3 racoon tail and if you don't move for a second, Isaac turns into a statue until you move again. I found it on the first floor and Ludovico on the second and then died before I could figure out what the leaf really does because I was Judas and only had one heart. If the leaf really turns you invincible as long as you don't move, and you can have your Ludovico orb hover around the room killing everything... dear god.

The second run I actually finished, and it was hilarious. I got Leo, the Lucky Stone trinket and the 1+1 coupon from the shop.

Leo allows you to destroy any stone by walking over it. The trinket causes every stone in the game to drop something. And the coupon causes any coin, bomb or key drop to be doubled. Imagine that. Any normal stone dropped two coins. I also learned that the skulls drop cards and the mushrooms drop pills and mushroom treasures, I got the Magic Mushroom from one of them. I guess without the trinket they still have a chance to drop these. So when I had cleared The Depths 1, I had 99 coins and another 200 coins lying on the ground. and a dollar bill. Of course, all the bombs or keys I could carry, from slot machines. Unfortunately I couldn't do anything worthwhile with all the cash. Not much luck with beggars or Slot Machines, only useless/negative pills in rotation and no money=power. Still beat Satan.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Is anyone expecting an "Everything is Terrible" unlock? How long did it take in the original?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

sicDaniel posted:

I don't exactly know what the leaf does, but it says "unbreakable" when you pick it up, you get a SMB3 racoon tail and if you don't move for a second, Isaac turns into a statue until you move again. I found it on the first floor and Ludovico on the second and then died before I could figure out what the leaf really does because I was Judas and only had one heart. If the leaf really turns you invincible as long as you don't move, and you can have your Ludovico orb hover around the room killing everything... dear god.

That is what it does, yes. It's a reference to the alternate effect of the Tanooki suit that lets Mario turn into an invincible statue.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

haunted bong posted:

Infamy is an amazing item to have.

How exactly does this work? I thought it blocked projectiles from the front but it doesn't always work. Is it just not a 100% chance?

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Cheekio posted:

Is anyone expecting an "Everything is Terrible" unlock? How long did it take in the original?

I got it after 5 Mom's Heart kills.

Couple of minor observations;
The lockpick trinket can unlock secret rooms as well as locked things. I don't think it's guaranteed to happen, just a chance. The Liberty Cap can still give you the Compass effect for a room.

Edit. Slow Roll and Computer Savvy are far too easy compared to other challenges. Challenges should go to at least Mom's Heart in my opinion.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cheekio posted:

Seems you get it from the fifth kill of moms heart.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Brimstone seems to be very bugged (or just Azazel). It fires at random without me releasing the key and sometimes refuses to charge at all.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

How exactly does this work? I thought it blocked projectiles from the front but it doesn't always work. Is it just not a 100% chance?

It blocks shots, but not things like brimstone/lazers as far as I can tell. Also, they have to hit you right in the front, not at an angle or anything.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What the gently caress are you supposed to do about Loki? So far he's the only thing in this game that has killed me and its because he keeps teleporting right on top of me. I have no clue how you're supposed to avoid this.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

What the gently caress are you supposed to do about Loki? So far he's the only thing in this game that has killed me and its because he keeps teleporting right on top of me. I have no clue how you're supposed to avoid this.

Gotta use the 5 D's, brother.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Gotta use the 5 D's, brother.

You said dodge twice.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
I am the Professional Ninja
One of my first runs of the game I got: Mom's Wig, Sticky Spawning (spider nest that follows you around turning the ground into web and spitting out blue spiders), Enough items to become Guppy, and Guppy's head. I barely had to do anything, because my flies and spiders were wrecking everything for me.

Ludovico's Technique and Mom's Wig are also really insane mixed together, because the spiders just instantly max out as soon as they disappear.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So is it just me or is Cain not the top tier pick anymore? It seems like Luck Foot doesn't guarantee good pills anymore, I've gotten stat down pills now with him. I've had way more luck with Azazel than anyone really.

For people on Cathedral/Chest: Does Isaac eventually unlock/start with the d20 like in the old game?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
d6, and i dunno

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I've read that the positive pills effect is now exclusive to PHD. I assume nobody exactly knows what luck does in this game, right? Or is it confirmed to be the same thing as in the original? I had runs with 1 luck and still found lots of stuff.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

ProfessionalNinja posted:

One of my first runs of the game I got: Mom's Wig, Sticky Spawning (spider nest that follows you around turning the ground into web and spitting out blue spiders), Enough items to become Guppy, and Guppy's head. I barely had to do anything, because my flies and spiders were wrecking everything for me.

Ludovico's Technique and Mom's Wig are also really insane mixed together, because the spiders just instantly max out as soon as they disappear.

My very first run was basically 100% spider themed. Mom's wig, spider revenge, sticky spawning, radioactive spider... then I died. But I have no doubt in my mind the rest of my drops would have also been spider related.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So I took work off today so I could play Rebirth. First thing that happens after I install it?

Missing executable file, game won't start.

This game is already infuriating me and I haven't even loving PLAYED it yet.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
So I used that weird room that swaps all your stuff for other stuff.

What is it that makes everything slide around and towards you and away from you and just generally spaz out? Because doing the Boss Rush room with whatever it was, plus psychic penetration Mulligan lasers, was some giggle-inducing ridiculousness.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, the slow roll challenge is loving hilarious.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

sicDaniel posted:

I've read that the positive pills effect is now exclusive to PHD.

One of the Zodiac symbols does this too, I think Virgo?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Johnny Truant posted:

So I took work off today so I could play Rebirth. First thing that happens after I install it?

Missing executable file, game won't start.

This game is already infuriating me and I haven't even loving PLAYED it yet.

I haven't even booted the PC version yet, but the PS4 one works like a charm. :gitgud:

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
So, I got Mama's Boy, as my first of the no-damage achievements, thanks to the joys of Ludovico's Technique + Spider Bite. Bible did the work on Mom's Heart, sparing me some pain there. Considering how much trouble I had in flash Isaac, surprised I got this so early.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

I haven't even booted the PC version yet, but the PS4 one works like a charm. :gitgud:

I'm re-installing right now, if this doesn't work I'm going to switch to the PS4. Never played Isaac with a controller though, that'll be interesting.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm re-installing right now, if this doesn't work I'm going to switch to the PS4. Never played Isaac with a controller though, that'll be interesting.

The way it's set up on PS4 is you can move with the dpad or left stick, and you can fire with the face buttons or the right stick. I wind up using the left stick to move and the face buttons to fire. The hardest part is getting use to the shoulder buttons for the active items.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
So what does the gimp mask do? I got it from Stan but didn't really figure out what it did.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Smornstein posted:

So what does the gimp mask do? I got it from Stan but didn't really figure out what it did.

Chance to drop a soul heart when you get damaged.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

Kaethela posted:

Chance to drop a soul heart when you get damaged.

Ah okay i figured that was Scapular since i traded my heart away with Guppy's Paw. Kinda bummed that you can't have soul hearts off the screen anymore but in hindsight it did make most runs incredibly easy.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!
I'm really glad I decided to play this before I head of to classes for the day because I just had a great bout of luck with Eve:

Unfortunately, this was the run that gave me my first full run to mom's heart in Rebirth so I couldn't go further but it was pretty great because of how much this setup wrecked enemies and bosses alike by the end of the run.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So uh Soy Milk + Magnetic Tears = Ummmmmmmmmmmmm :stare:

EDIT: I just picked up Monstro's Lung. There goes my run

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Unless I'm terribly mistaken, I got Basement Boy in my first run despite taking damage to my soul/black hearts.

The unlock requirement for Samson is truly not being hit for two entire floors, entrance to exit. Simply killing the boss isn't enough for Samson and Eve, you have to exit the floor without getting hit or picking up any heart.

Am I correct in assuming sleeping in the bed behind a double-bomb door is a full heal? Does it do anything else?