Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I just caught the Howie Mandel interview from a few weeks back, and holy poo poo is that Melby lady a loving insane bitch or what? The whole production is ready to shoot, everyone is waiting, including Howie and Howard, and she just sits in her trailer for an hour or two? That's outrageous, I don't understand how anyone would put up with that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Squashy Nipples posted:

I just caught the Howie Mandel interview from a few weeks back, and holy poo poo is that Melby lady a loving insane bitch or what? The whole production is ready to shoot, everyone is waiting, including Howie and Howard, and she just sits in her trailer for an hour or two? That's outrageous, I don't understand how anyone would put up with that poo poo.

From what I've heard, that kind of thing happens all the time in show business. :shrug:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Yeah, people throw tizzys like that all the time. Most celebs are incredibly hard to work with and insanely fragile people that will fall to the ground if they don't get what they want. You really have to use kid hands if you work around them. I've been a crew member on some shows and movies and man alive, you have to avoid them celebs as much as possible. I've heard from other crew members incredible horror stories of people getting fired, assaulted and so on.

That leaked audio of christian bale outright RANTING at some lighting dude is pretty spot on, and it gets excused because of the emotional trauma of him having to pretend to be shooting a green screen with a fake gun or whatever. Actors are all kind of crazy, it's incredible when you get a down to earth one that treats others like humans. Which is a weird dynamic to me, because those fans make them who they are.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Isn't being late a cardinal sin in Hollywood though? Even a lovely TV show costs a ton of money and that crew is getting paid whether or not the cameras are rolling.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
I dunno if this has been posted here or not, but here it is: The Ben Stern Proper Modulation Remix. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHOko7IBzMA

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Blows me away that someone could be late and not fall all over themselves apologizing, though. Especially in a situation where some of your fellow crew members are waking up at 4am to do hours of radio and then being ready for your show and you have nothing else going on at all.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

haljordan posted:

Isn't being late a cardinal sin in Hollywood though? Even a lovely TV show costs a ton of money and that crew is getting paid whether or not the cameras are rolling.

If you're big enough you can be pretty batshit crazy.

My aunt is an actress and has been working pretty consistently for several decades. Not huge, but if I showed you a picture you'd probably recognize her as a recurring character on some show you'd seen in the past. She's described working with people so crazy they were climbing trees or talking to people who weren't there. If your name is big enough to draw an audience people will put up with you.

quote:

Even a lovely TV show costs a ton of money and that crew is getting paid whether or not the cameras are rolling.

A buddy of mine has a union job and works on various shows. He tells me they often pad hours for the employees. Like, even if the job he does only requires him to be there for two hours that day and he's explicitly told he can go home, they're still going to pay him for the 8 hours he was scheduled. It's been a while since we discussed it, but the way he described the situation made it sound like equal parts union benefits/rules and production companies wanting to pad their budgets.

Obviously nobody wants to sit around wasting money, but he made it sound like there's not much of an incentive to under perform your budget on a successful show. The whole management mentality of, "If I prove I can spend less, they'll cut my budget."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Advice posted:

Blows me away that someone could be late and not fall all over themselves apologizing, though. Especially in a situation where some of your fellow crew members are waking up at 4am to do hours of radio and then being ready for your show and you have nothing else going on at all.

Crew members are not celebrities; why would the stars deign to notice their existence, let alone feel the need to apologize to them, as if they were on the same level?

Edit: less sarcastically, remember that these people are told night and day how wonderful and brilliant they are. It would be almost impossible for a person to remain sane with all that hot air being blown up their rear end non-stop.

prefect fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 5, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RommelMcDonald posted:

If you're big enough you can be pretty batshit crazy.

My aunt is an actress and has been working pretty consistently for several decades. Not huge, but if I showed you a picture you'd probably recognize her as a recurring character on some show you'd seen in the past.

I have to know; is your aunt Beth Grant? :allears:

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
This is the first time in all my years seeing a superfan out in the wild:

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have to know; is your aunt Beth Grant? :allears:

Sorry, but nope.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
Artie said some very dumb and racist poo poo and is deservedly getting backlash from it: http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2014/11/artie-lange-wants-to-whip-his-slave-cari-champion-why-espn-should-response/

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Arties career and miserable life is pretty much over anyway. Is it even worth bringing up that sad sacks name? He might as well be any schmo off the streets as far as the entertainment world is concerned.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

If it wasn't over yet, then it sure is now.

drat, what harsh decline to have watched. :smith:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

musclecoder posted:

Artie said some very dumb and racist poo poo and is deservedly getting backlash from it: http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2014/11/artie-lange-wants-to-whip-his-slave-cari-champion-why-espn-should-response/

He could have gotten away with it on the Stern show or another obviously-not-serious place. Twitter doesn't have any kind of "these are wacky jokes" background to set the stage.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Another thing to admire about Howard was he really knew how to use Artie effectively. The same with Jokeman or John. All those people are unfunny disasters outside of the Stern Show.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Two Kings posted:

Another thing to admire about Howard was he really knew how to use Artie effectively. The same with Jokeman or John. All those people are unfunny disasters outside of the Stern Show.

This is so true. Artie was great on the Stern show when he was playing off Howard or Howard was there to reel him in but his stand up act and his books are so loving bad. Artie needed the show and the show needed Artie.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Never thought I'd see the day Artie top trending on Facebook

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The artie tweets were good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

a cop posted:

The artie tweets were good.

The fat founding father line made me chuckle.

joe_defroster
Jul 12, 2004
Artie is about to find out that interracial love is the most taboo kind of love! Taboo!

http://youtu.be/PTRRkgOlzzE?t=6m

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'm always surprised Artie was never in talks to do a John Belushi bio-pic or something. He could have practically passed for his twin back during the K-Rock days.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

quote:

Artie Lange
3 mins · Carteret, NJ ·
I'm about to say a few things I can't believe have to be explained in a rational world. I observed that Cari Champion was a gorgeous lady. I then thought it would be funny to tweet JOKES about that observation. A decision which might be the end of modern comedy. I would rather load trucks for a living then ever apologize to one of these awful PC groups ruining the country. So that's a NO. But if it upset the lady in question that's another story. Let me say to Cari Champion if this hurt u in any way I'm sorry. I'm a comedian. Sometimes I'm funny! For the record my moms disgusted w the tweets. But if I based my humor on my mom I'd be broke.
They're now telling me I can't appear on @Midnight tonight cause of the pressure they're getting from these groups. But who cares. I love the show & it's my living but who cares. These groups have won again. All I care about is Cari Champion. Truly. But I'm sure you'll be ok. You're gorgeous & talented. I hope that didn't offend u. To the PC army. Congrats! U won again! Gluten free cake! I've been asked not to appear on @midnight & uve ruined any chance I had at dating Cari Champion (That was a joke).
I'm not racist. I don't hate women. And to u PC groups that did this I wanna be clear. Go gently caress yourselves! Now get back to saving the world. Done. Peace.

Leroy
Apr 26, 2003
Oh, I get it.
Artie said something bad so he has to go away now.

That's what America is about.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Vakal posted:

I'm always surprised Artie was never in talks to do a John Belushi bio-pic or something. He could have practically passed for his twin back during the K-Rock days.

Two words: Beer League.

Bill Murray talked about this, and Stern brought it up again this morning during Martin Short's interview: to be funny in a movie, it's not enough to be a comedian, you need to be an actor. As funny as he is, Beer League (and Dirty Work) proved that Artie is no actor.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I'm pretty sure Artie is in fact super racist and also loving loathes women (when he's not making them out to be angels like Danaer).

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Artie's such a dummy. He should just go back to making hundreds of thousands doing jam packed theaters.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

haljordan posted:

I'm pretty sure Artie is in fact super racist and also loving loathes women (when he's not making them out to be angels like Danaer).

Hung out with Nick DiPaolo too long and the miosgynist macho man poo poo just gets exacerbated in the sports world no less

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Waaaaaah there's consequences to what I say in public waaaaaaaah I'm a comedian waaaaah

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

haljordan posted:

Artie has been very funny on many occasions, and I don't think he's supervillain-style evil, but yeah, I agree with this.

BobbyK posted:

Waaaaaah there's consequences to what I say in public waaaaaaaah I'm a comedian waaaaah

Also this.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yesterday I said a few comments that offended a few people, and I'd like to extend my apology for those comments. Unfortunately, I didn't represent myself properly on how I wanted to explain myself. I have a tremendous respect for all cultures and all races. If I did offend or hurt anybody, I again extend my most sincere apologies. Thank you very much for understanding, and I greatly appreciate your time.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

prefect posted:

Artie has been very funny on many occasions, and I don't think he's supervillain-style evil, but yeah, I agree with this.

Also this.

Oh yeah I agree 100% that he's loving hilarious but he has serious issues with women.

Also Cari Champion better be getting paid like, a million dollars a show to sit between Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless, two of the biggest pieces of garbage on earth.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 6, 2014

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
It's over Johnny, It's OVER

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I thought the part about the slave getting away and him cumming and it being the happiest of endings was funny..

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Artie's act has always been 'blue collar guy who tells the off-color jokes guys tell on the docks' (or wherever). I don't know who Cari Champion is, but if she's a hot ESPN reporter I guarantee you Artie's comments fall on the tasteful end of things dudes are saying about her.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

Artie's act has always been 'blue collar guy who tells the off-color jokes guys tell on the docks' (or wherever). I don't know who Cari Champion is, but if she's a hot ESPN reporter I guarantee you Artie's comments fall on the tasteful end of things dudes are saying about her.

Yeah they do not.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

haljordan posted:

Yeah they do not.

Have you ever worked a blue collar job?

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Art should really do the right thing and challenge that broad to a game of 1 on 1. I wonder if he can still hit that outside shot.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

Have you ever worked a blue collar job?

If you can consider Artie's tweets tasteful in any capacity then I dunno what to say. Blue collar, white collar, green collar they're pretty lovely. I mean if your argument is "He's not as disgusting as the most disgusting construction worker alive" then OK I guess you're right maybe?

I've seen Dirty Work probably a million times and Artie's made me laugh a lot but at this point, he's just loving sad. Yeah he still might have money (until he snorts it all away) but he's just a gross bloated rear end in a top hat who uses everyone in his life to keep living his incredibly selfish lifestyle. I bet his mom is still cooking for him. Sad stuff.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear
- I think Artie's funny, the show took a nosedive once he left.
- I thought his response was perfect
- I thought the tweets were rough and cringey, but sometimes poo poo falls flat when you're a comedian who does material that is divisive. Sometimes you try stuff and it's like "oh... a little too brash, people aren't laughing".
- Artie most certainly has issues with women
- Artie has mental issues and drug addiction issues, which he will be fighting with for the rest of his (probably short) life. Such is the case with a lot of creative types.
- I love Richard Christy

How Much Art fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 6, 2014