Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Set it in 632 just as Muhammad dies and Abu Bakr takes over, there's plenty of interesting story to be made there over the Caliphate succession and the Byzantine conquest.

Like how Ragnar Lodbrok's death is the immediate impetus of the Old Gods start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Boing posted:

Set it in 632 just as Muhammad dies and Abu Bakr takes over, there's plenty of interesting story to be made there over the Caliphate succession and the Byzantine conquest.

Like how Ragnar Lodbrok's death is the immediate impetus of the Old Gods start.

Realistically though the Sassanids and Byzantines would completely crush Islam in CK2. Unless you threw the muslims a huge huge pile of event troops - then you'd have a caliphate based in Constantinople within a year.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

:ohdear:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rarely was this emote more appropriate.

What does this number mean? 100% chance of rebellion in a year, like most things in CK2?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Apparently it means 0% because I have had no rebellion at all. The county is still Cathar though, even after 50 odd years.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RagnarokAngel posted:

Have you all tried deleting the graphics folder in your my documents/paradox interactive/crusader kings ii folder? Letting the game rebuild those often helps.

I always forget that option. Seems to have worked!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I encountered an odd bug with the newest version. I am playing a king-level merchant republic, not as ruler but as one of the great families and I managed to bribe my way into being the next doge after the current one kicks it. However, when he dies, I don't become ruler, but instead the title passes to the third placed guy, who becomes a normal king, destroying the king-level republic in the process and making me head of a newly formed, duke level republic, vassal to the new kingdom. I have no idea why this happens especially since he is a patriarch as well.

The game is running since before Charlemagne and I am using the Historical Immersion project, so I guess the reason is some version conflict, however, this is not the first inheritance of the title since the update.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Are you using the beta? Republic funny business was a known problem with the Charlemagne patch.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Mustang posted:

Weird, never seen Christian Mongols before.

I was never so happy playing CK2 as the time I was playing a Georgia game ironman. I saw the Mongols pop before I was ready--they were actually on time and I hadn't been paying attention--and I almost abandoned the ironman.*

I didn't abandon it and watched the Mongols nestle right into Armenia, then bam! The Khan of Khans converting event fires... I almost didn't believe it when I saw the Orthodox Cross by the man's portrait.

* Two things worthy of a footnote here. First, ironman is the only way to play. Second, never abandon an ironman. The most fun I ever had in CK2 was forming Britannia and then losing it when my well groomed heir inherited at 20, then died to leave the throne to his 6 year old brother.

I lost the civil war and got consigned to a duchy in Spain. Whereupon my Britain game suddenly and unexpectedly turned into a reconquista game.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 4, 2014

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ZombieLenin posted:

* Two things worthy of a footnote here. First, ironman is the only way to play. Second, never abandon an ironman. The most fun I ever had in CK2 was forming Britannia and then losing it when my well groomed heir inherited at 20, then died to leave the throne to his 6 year old brother.

Does it still saves every month? Because if so, that would be the antithesis of fun to me, specially since each save takes like 10-30 seconds in my computer.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
It got patched so it's now every six months, I think.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I hope they don't make a Rise of Islam DLC because then all my work would be for naught. :argh:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Are Zun supposed to not be able to raid, or did I break something?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
So is inheriting good genetic traits a total crapshoot? I'm playing the latest build of After the End, a fungame with console-cheat option, as Countess September Carrino of Palisades, and I used Ruler Designer to make her an Attractive Genius. I married a Quick dude, and out of three daughters the middle bastard (September is Lustful) got Genius, the third got Attractive, and the oldest and heir to the County got nothing. I naturally consoled her both Attractive and Genius. Is the odds of inheriting those intentionally pretty low? I suppose it makes sense for game balance but it makes selective breeding tough.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Martello posted:

I suppose it makes sense for game balance but it makes selective breeding tough.

That is exactly what it is supposed to do.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Dammit, I've just bought a box set of DVDs, but after reading the first few lines of the plot in Wikipedia, I may need to buy this and give it a go. I know I'm going off-topic here, but is it actually any good? Or is it sub-par but just happens to serve your purposes as an example of a long siege? (I don't recall the last time I've seen a movie in this era...a good one, at least)

It's not a particularly great film, but Lindybeige made an entertaining series of videos complaining about all the historical inaccuracy and such (spoilers, so watch the film first if you're going to watch it at all I guess):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0zYZhJXELQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pGKiOi76cI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtMMY-QqRYQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tALpizMxU-8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4-MkDLJJeA

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Why the heck are the Zunists lumped in with Pagans when they were a Hindu cult and should be with the Indían religons?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

e X posted:

That is exactly what it is supposed to do.

Yeah that's what I figured. I'm not even mad about it, I guess I was just surprised that it was so unlikely to pass on the good traits. Must be because I'm new to Paradox.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

FreudianSlippers posted:

Why the heck are the Zunists lumped in with Pagans when they were a Hindu cult and should be with the Indían religons?

Because then you'd need both RoI and Charlie to play them.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

Martello posted:

So is inheriting good genetic traits a total crapshoot? I'm playing the latest build of After the End, a fungame with console-cheat option, as Countess September Carrino of Palisades, and I used Ruler Designer to make her an Attractive Genius. I married a Quick dude, and out of three daughters the middle bastard (September is Lustful) got Genius, the third got Attractive, and the oldest and heir to the County got nothing. I naturally consoled her both Attractive and Genius. Is the odds of inheriting those intentionally pretty low? I suppose it makes sense for game balance but it makes selective breeding tough.

Yeah, there's only a 15% chance of inheriting a good genetic trait. It's nice having them, but I don't get the players who dedicate a ton of effort to setting up complex breeding programs.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

KOraithER posted:

Yeah, there's only a 15% chance of inheriting a good genetic trait. It's nice having them, but I don't get the players who dedicate a ton of effort to setting up complex breeding programs.

I pretty much never do. I just figured because I gamed Ruler Designer into having Attractive/Genius I should see if I can propagate it. I guess getting one trait each in two out of three kids isn't bad, really.

I'll post a screenshot later when I'm home from work, but I changed the County of Palisades to Enatic-Cognatic, so all my army leaders are women with helmets. Specifically, my heir and her badass bastard little sister.

After the End is pretty awesome. It'll be nice when it's more finished.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Martello posted:

Elective succession is the only way to make it work. It's easier as pagans or Muslims because you can have concubines to up your success rate. It can be hard, especially as vassals seem to dislike female heirs, but you can make it work so long as you're willing to accept the occasional generation of failure.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It depends how many you're trying to get, too. Just getting a child that's a genius from genius parents isn't too hard, but trying to breed a strong attractive genius is just going to come down to pure luck and it's possible to play multiple games through without ever seeing one.

Even both parents having a congenital trait doesn't guarantee their children will get it - it just doubles your odds.

*edit*

They added a "feminist" parameter to cultures a while ago, so members of a culture/religion that has that parameter won't get the "female heir" and other related opinion penalties. It's used in the vanilla game for Cathars and Messalian (and I think Basque, but I'm not sure on that one), but you can add it to anything with mods.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 4, 2014

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Apparently in Enatic-Cognatic and maybe something with After the End, vassals are totally ok with female heirs because my daughter has unanimous votes all the time.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Martello posted:

Apparently in Enatic-Cognatic and maybe something with After the End, vassals are totally ok with female heirs because my daughter has unanimous votes all the time.

Are these female heirs attractive geniuses?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Obliterati posted:

Elective succession is the only way to make it work. It's easier as pagans or Muslims because you can have concubines to up your success rate. It can be hard, especially as vassals seem to dislike female heirs, but you can make it work so long as you're willing to accept the occasional generation of failure.

The muslim succession type makes it even easier. You cant choose a daughter but you can basically pick any male you want

On my current game I created a genius-possessed-ugly-strong-dwarf on the ruler designer and then married to a genius-strong woman. I was able to get 3 genius-strong sons, and then choose the third one, who happened to be the demonspawn. I guess I was really lucky.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Bort Bortles posted:

Are these female heirs attractive geniuses?

Yeah...got it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I had a Genius Strong character marry an Attractive woman once, and their firstborn got all three traits. That's about a 3 in 1000 chance. Of course the child was female; can't win em all.

They had seven more kids and not one of them got any genetic trait. And the firstborn daughter got sick and died at age 9, Strong be damned.

Attractive is really awesome on a female ruler because it gives a whopping +30 opinion bonus with all male characters (which naturally includes most of your vassals.) Not to be a dick, but... shouldn't a character lose the positive effects of Attractive around age 45 or so?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

how do you change the features of heresies? converted to Mazdakism on a whim but they have literally no features, when really they could be the zoroastrian version of cathars

Eric the Mauve posted:

I had a Genius Strong character marry an Attractive woman once, and their firstborn got all three traits. That's about a 3 in 1000 chance. Of course the child was female; can't win em all.

They had seven more kids and not one of them got any genetic trait. And the firstborn daughter got sick and died at age 9, Strong be damned.

Attractive is really awesome on a female ruler because it gives a whopping +30 opinion bonus with all male characters (which naturally includes most of your vassals.) Not to be a dick, but... shouldn't a character lose the positive effects of Attractive around age 45 or so?

not nessecarily

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not to be a dick, but... shouldn't a character lose the positive effects of Attractive around age 45 or so?
Women do. (Or did? Haven't checked recently.) At exactly that age, in fact.

Whorelord posted:

how do you change the features of heresies? converted to Mazdakism on a whim but they have literally no features, when really they could be the zoroastrian version of cathars
Most features are in Crusader Kings II\common\religions\00_religions.txt. Others might be determined by religion checks in job_titles.txt or decisions/succession_laws.txt, for the gender equality characteristics of Cathar.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 5, 2014

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I started out as a count in Lombardy and now I'm king of England. Maybe I'll try and take Lombardy back, but it will mean having to deal with the Francia-Lombardy-Poland alliance. No idea how the Seljuks ended up in Greece, their war was for Afghanistan.

ErectorBeast
Sep 19, 2010

"I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
Just tried being that tiny kingdom of Jews in Ethiopia, was crushed within two years for being a Jew. I expected as much.

Gonna start a new game, CM start, not sure where yet. I'm streaming it if anyone wants to help me make horrible decisions.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
John Stewart wants to kill Martha Stewart. :ohdear:

e; and gently caress regency I'm stuck here with an 11 year old whose regent doesn't want to do anything, including stopping terrible plots.

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 5, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ErectorBeast posted:

Just tried being that tiny kingdom of Jews in Ethiopia, was crushed within two years for being a Jew. I expected as much.

Gonna start a new game, CM start, not sure where yet. I'm streaming it if anyone wants to help me make horrible decisions.

Which bookmark? The 1066 start is easiest.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Didnīt the real Mongols give whomever they invaded the option to surrender without a fight? And those that did got to keep their titles and privileges and the pre-existent social structures were kept in place as long as they payed tax to the khan and provided him with troops when asked. But if they fought back the Mongols would loot, burn and kill until there wasn't anything left worth looting or burning.

I have never actually had to defend against Mongols in the game but I'm playing as the Mongols right now and a lot of the vassals seem to remain the same after invasion so Iīm constantly dealing with uppity Persians and Georgians who don't like being under my heel and I can't seem to just have them executed for daring to even look at me funny. Wouldnīt it make sense that anyone being invaded by Mongols would get a event saying "The Great Khan has sent a messenger offering the choice of surrender and swear fealty to him. If you do he promises no harm will come to you if you don't your realm will burn." and if you surrendered you'd become his vassal without a war and he couldn't revoke your titles without a massive penalty but if you didn't and he won all the holdings would be massively devalued from all the looting which should make sure this wouldnīt make the Mongols any more overpowered than they already are.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Rumda posted:

Because then you'd need both RoI and Charlie to play them.

Yeah but being pagan don't you have to use Charlemagne and The Old Gods? Paradox probably just didn't realize it was an Indian spinoff.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not to be a dick, but... shouldn't a character lose the positive effects of Attractive around age 45 or so?

Is this a serious post?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Didnīt the real Mongols give whomever they invaded the option to surrender without a fight? And those that did got to keep their titles and privileges and the pre-existent social structures were kept in place as long as they payed tax to the khan and provided him with troops when asked. But if they fought back the Mongols would loot, burn and kill until there wasn't anything left worth looting or burning.

I have never actually had to defend against Mongols in the game but I'm playing as the Mongols right now and a lot of the vassals seem to remain the same after invasion so Iīm constantly dealing with uppity Persians and Georgians who don't like being under my heel and I can't seem to just have them executed for daring to even look at me funny. Wouldnīt it make sense that anyone being invaded by Mongols would get a event saying "The Great Khan has sent a messenger offering the choice of surrender and swear fealty to him. If you do he promises no harm will come to you if you don't your realm will burn." and if you surrendered you'd become his vassal without a war and he couldn't revoke your titles without a massive penalty but if you didn't and he won all the holdings would be massively devalued from all the looting which should make sure this wouldnīt make the Mongols any more overpowered than they already are.

A long time ago now, but playing as the King of Crimea I got a message exactly like this one: become a vassal or be murdered.

I accepted.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Hm I was doing really well (by my estimation, rich and popular with kids holding loads of titles) in Scotland until I decided to press a claim on the last Irish province that wasn't Englands (top left next to Ulster), which would have been fine but they were mysteriously joined in war by a bunch of English armies (and Ulster) and I had to surrender the captured land to the duke of Northumberland of all people. Did he press a claim at the same time I did or something?

I've obviously missed something pretty important, the province seemed to be like pretty much an independent Irish thing since everything else had been gobbled up by the English and I'm besties with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Hm I was doing really well (by my estimation, rich and popular with kids holding loads of titles) in Scotland until I decided to press a claim on the last Irish province that wasn't Englands (top left next to Ulster), which would have been fine but they were mysteriously joined in war by a bunch of English armies (and Ulster) and I had to surrender the captured land to the duke of Northumberland of all people. Did he press a claim at the same time I did or something?

I've obviously missed something pretty important, the province seemed to be like pretty much an independent Irish thing since everything else had been gobbled up by the English and I'm besties with them.

Exactly that.

• Locked thread