Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Smornstein posted:

So what does the gimp mask do? I got it from Stan but didn't really figure out what it did.

Stan's a cool dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893
I had a level on Caves level 2 where I was constantly getting "do overs" for the level - a room that looked like a dice. Every time I stepped into one of the dice holes the level would start again, I kept whatever buffs I found and I'd get another boss kill + another buff.

After my 5th or so reroll of the level, I became "The Lord of the Flies." It gave me around 7 familiars, flight, purple shots tears that went both in front and behind me and I was virtually unstoppable.

I have no idea what happened.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

IMJack posted:

Unless I'm terribly mistaken, I got Basement Boy in my first run despite taking damage to my soul/black hearts.

The unlock requirement for Samson is truly not being hit for two entire floors, entrance to exit. Simply killing the boss isn't enough for Samson and Eve, you have to exit the floor without getting hit or picking up any heart.

Am I correct in assuming sleeping in the bed behind a double-bomb door is a full heal? Does it do anything else?

Bomb the rug in that room and you'll get to a secret room with a chest/item.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Color Printer posted:

So uh Soy Milk + Magnetic Tears = Ummmmmmmmmmmmm :stare:

EDIT: I just picked up Monstro's Lung. There goes my run

What do magnetic tears do? I've picked it up twice but I can't tell.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I find that I'm really hurrying through the first six floors now that the Boss Rush is a thing (and such an enormous payoff). It's not actually as tough as you'd think it'd be because A) You're probably really juiced up by that point anyways, and B) Hearts drop all over the place as you do it C) A lot of bosses are weaker in such a huge room. I probably take more damage running into red poop than I do from the bosses themselves.

Got Ludovico Technique + Shielded Tears, Mom's Heart and Isaac were a cinch after that; just set your tear on them and stand in your gigantic safe zone. Isaac is way cranked up from WotL, though, I can't wait to fight him when I'm less busted.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
I came here to ask about this Boss Rush thing; I just experienced it and didn't know wtf it was. What is it?

Also, I got Dark Boy accidentally already. Welp.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What's the deal with evil hearts?

Also, is there anywhere in the game that explains what the controls are? I only know how to use items/consumables/bombs from pushing random controller buttons.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Rashomon posted:

I came here to ask about this Boss Rush thing; I just experienced it and didn't know wtf it was. What is it?

When you kill Mom or any boss after the Heart, One of the walls crumbles away and leads to a 2x2 room with 4 items in it. When you grab an item the others despawn, the doors lock, and you get thrown into a massive boss rush. Clearing the boss rush gives you rewards that I think are character dependent.

Edit:vvvvvvv I think you have to kill all the spawnable bosses that can spawn in that region.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Anyone mind sharing how to unlock the alternative basement floor? I got Catacombs before Cellar and that just doesn't feel right.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rashomon posted:

Still not fully sure, but I think if you do the first part of the game fast enough, a room opens after beating Depths 1. I had it happen on the Technology Challenge.

quote:

Anyone mind sharing how to unlock the alternative basement floor? I got Catacombs before Cellar and that just doesn't feel right.
Maybe it's particularly rare? I got Utero 2 on my first run, which seemed weird.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

haveblue posted:

Also, is there anywhere in the game that explains what the controls are? I only know how to use items/consumables/bombs from pushing random controller buttons.

Black hearts damage all enemies in a room when you lose one.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

haveblue posted:

I believe the evil hearts kill everything in the room when you use them up.

edit: beaten.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

DeathSandwich posted:

When you kill Mom or any boss after the Heart, One of the walls crumbles away and leads to a 2x2 room with 4 items in it. When you grab an item the others despawn, the doors lock, and you get thrown into a massive boss rush. Clearing the boss rush gives you rewards that I think are character dependent.

Unless you've seen differently, it's a reward for beating Mom in under 20 minutes. You get your pick of four items, another random item after you clear it, and basically full health from all the hearts that drop. It's well worth trying to get to. You also unlock items for beating it with each character.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The little star in the center of the paper on the character select screen comes from beating the room as that character. You get a heart for clearing mom's heart too. I don't know what the other stamps are because I haven't played enough yet!

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Beat mom's heart on hard for after 4 runs. I know there are some things that can only be unlocked on hard, but does anyone know what they are?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The win streak stat also tracks loss streaks. Now I can tell exactly how terrible I am at this game!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Kaethela posted:

The win streak stat also tracks loss streaks. Now I can tell exactly how terrible I am at this game!

Yeah I thought the negative win streaks were really funny

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

CJacobs posted:

The little star in the center of the paper on the character select screen comes from beating the room as that character. You get a heart for clearing mom's heart too. I don't know what the other stamps are because I haven't played enough yet!

Beating the cathedral is a cross and sheol is an upside-down cross.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Broken Cog posted:

Beating the cathedral is a cross and sheol is an upside-down cross.

And if you clear them on Hard, the icons are written in blood.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It feels strange that Nintendo said no to this game, yet there's like a thousand goddamn Mario references and Zelda callbacks anyway. One of the items is just the straight up Mario 1 boxart
Nintendo doesn't like religious symbols and such in games on their hardware. At least the American branch. Back in the SNES era, they did stuff like require crosses to be edited to removed, whether they were on church buildings, or even

And there's not really any way to separate the game and that.

Turtlicious posted:

Check the item explanation thing that is on the main menu.
Wait the thing on the main menu gives item explanations? All I've been able to get is pictures of specific items, even with the single select thing. I can't even get the name from them. I hope it's just a bug, and not a change from the flash version. It'd be nice to at least get the name.

Turtlicious posted:

Does anyone have some broken seeds?
Maybe not broken, but I've been saving some seeds. I saw something about how seeds might change items depending on what you've got unlocked, though.
EN4X ZL9A Gets you shotgun tears. This was something like my second run. Before I had the womb unlocked, even.
TYER QD7Q My notes said 'Giant double shot'. I don't quite remember this one.
AAKP 036X Shielded machine gun. I believe this one also gets shielded shots. Poor damage, but you're pretty much immune to bullets.

Crosspeice posted:

I think that was the same in the original, but devil deals counted. I'm not sure if it's the same now.

Also, how the hell do you unlock Samson? I have both Basement and Spelunker Boy, I've definitely gone thorough two levels with no damage.

Or is that two complete areas? I'm not bothered, he's a bit poo poo anyway.
It's one complete area, and you cannot do devil deals. You have to leave the levels taking no damage. Basement Boy triggers after beating the second boss of the set, so it's less stringent than it was.

IMJack posted:

Unless I'm terribly mistaken, I got Basement Boy in my first run despite taking damage to my soul/black hearts.

The unlock requirement for Samson is truly not being hit for two entire floors, entrance to exit. Simply killing the boss isn't enough for Samson and Eve, you have to exit the floor without getting hit or picking up any heart.

Am I correct in assuming sleeping in the bed behind a double-bomb door is a full heal? Does it do anything else?
Bombing the rug either gets you a trapdoor down to the next floor, or a special looking one that gets you to a Zelda 1 style side scrolling treasure room. You can also get this treasure room from rocks. I freaked out when I found that out because I was flying over rocks, an enemy bombed my space, and I instantly went down.

DeathSandwich posted:

Edit:vvvvvvv I think you have to kill all the spawnable bosses that can spawn in that region.
It looks like you have to get to and beat them under a certain amount of time. 20 minutes for Mom, not sure about the others.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
OH fuuuck, touched the chest instead of going to satan level with a loving build that one shot the heart and got me mama's boy. goddamnit.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
This game hasn't even been out for 24 hours yet and I've logged 15 hours of gametime.

Dear god.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Real broken rear end seed for Azazel specifically:

code:
ZBNN 3ZYP

I'm not going to spoil what's in it, but this is a seed where you have to try to lose. So much insanity going on if you're smart with resources and get every item room. It'd be real easy no damage achievements if it was possible.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

"Man, I can't figure out what's up with Curse of the Blind." *enters treasure room* "........Oh."

All treasures appear as question marks.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Pumpkinreaper posted:

This game hasn't even been out for 24 hours yet and I've logged 15 hours of gametime.

Dear god.

McMillen is going to pretty happy I think.

For refence, Skyrim's all-time peak is 78,420. E: Although that data is only from july 2012 so the actual peak might be higher. Still, that's a ton of players.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 5, 2014

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo, the boss rush is no joke. I was already in trouble, having resurrected versus Mom, so I went in with only soul hearts. I made it six or seven waves, but giving me the Mask of Infamy with The Bloat was just too much. :(

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Attestant posted:

Real broken rear end seed for Azazel specifically:

code:
ZBNN 3ZYP

I'm not going to spoil what's in it, but this is a seed where you have to try to lose. So much insanity going on if you're smart with resources and get every item room. It'd be real easy no damage achievements if it was possible.

At least spoil what's in it with spoiler tags. Not everyone enjoys surprises and wants to take the time to try out other peoples seeds just to find out if they're as good as they're made out to be.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

At least spoil what's in it with spoiler tags. Not everyone enjoys surprises and wants to take the time to try out other peoples seeds just to find out if they're as good as they're made out to be.

Well it is. Bite me. :colbert:

It lets you test out one item combos shown in Edmund's blog previews. That's all you're getting.

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

I stumbled onto an awesome seed M8KD KGAL

lv1 gives you 2 gold rooms, an extra boss, and enough gold to use the shop right away
Between lv1 & lv2 you will get 8 power ups and a Trinket. (also, yellow pills are good)

Explosive Thoughts, Leech, Larger followers, Flush(not sure what it does), 2 of everything you pick up(lv2), and some other stuff....

Slybo fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 5, 2014

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I've decided the game hates me. I used 2 Eden tokens since the game came out and both times it gave me minimum speed and the poop as an active item. I didn't make it past the second floor either run.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Slybo posted:

I stumbled onto an awesome seed M8KD KGAL

lv1 gives you 2 gold rooms, an extra boss, and enough gold to use the shop right away
Between lv1 & lv2 you will get 8 power ups and a Trinket.

Most of that's it just being a standard XL floor, I personally don't think any of those items are that special.

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Most of that's it just being a standard XL floor, I personally don't think any of those items are that special.

Its still a drat fine way to start a round. Especially if you can use the Explosive Thoughts well without killing yourself.
It took me to the endgame first time around.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
so what is it that makes you get randomly teleported when enemies hit you? I've lost a couple runs to it but I can't figure out why it happened.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Bob's Rotten Brain is the stupidest god drat thing ever. Oh yes, I'd love something that pops up and instantly blows me up when I'm near something. :tizzy:

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
So it turns out the Soul Converter and Guppy's Paw will do stupid things. They're both use items with no cool down. Soul Converter takes 2 soul hearts and makes them a normal heart. Guppy's Paw takes a normal heart and makes it into 3 Soul Hearts. And here I thought this run had started out amazingly bad.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zeratanis posted:

Bob's Rotten Brain is the stupidest god drat thing ever. Oh yes, I'd love something that pops up and instantly blows me up when I'm near something. :tizzy:

at this point i just want to ignore it because more often than not you're going to get hit by the blast because there's really no controlling it

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

at this point i just want to ignore it because more often than not you're going to get hit by the blast because there's really no controlling it

Yeah, I just treat it like Ipecac in old Isaac: A novelty that you should more than likely pass on if you see it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So which crappy item is it that makes you teleport out of a room if you get hit? Could never finish regular mom because every hit threw me into a random room.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Rirse posted:

So which crappy item is it that makes you teleport out of a room if you get hit? Could never finish regular mom because every hit threw me into a random room.

IIRC Crystal skull does that. Also the broken remote can teleport you when you use an item too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

So I got a bug where Mom's Heart spawned an invincible greed head. It was poisoned and I kept shooting it but no luck. It got a shot in on me so my revenge fly focused on it, unable to kill it and not attacking the heart. Ended up dying because it blocked me into a corner. :argh: