Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Has there ever been a time travel movie that addresses the fact that the Earth might have been floating in a different place in space on a previous date? I mean if you can instantaneously transport people or things between two points in the universe that's almost as awesome and world-changing and potentially profitable as time travel is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

made of bees
May 21, 2013
dr who

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Red Dwarf did it too I think.

e. actually that might have just been FTL travel

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Palmersaurus posted:

Red Dwarf did it too I think.

e. actually that might have just been FTL travel

Nahh, they definitely did the time travel thing. They went back to the time of Renaissance France, and were still floating about in the middle of Bumfuck, Nowhere, galactically speaking. Season 6, Episode 6, "Out Of Time".

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

mind the walrus posted:

The more I read about LUCY the less it sounds like a movie and more like a proof-of-concept that people would pay to watch Scar-Jo as the lead in an action movie for 2 hours no matter how stupid the movie surrounding it was.

When I watched Lucy I thought, "Luc Besson really dug Akira."
As for the "why not do clinical trials?" I believe the one guy that was given the drug early in the film died when he got a little too much.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Android Bicyclist posted:

When I watched Lucy I thought, "Luc Besson really dug Akira."
As for the "why not do clinical trials?" I believe the one guy that was given the drug early in the film died when he got a little too much.

I decided to watch it last night for some reason and goddamn that entire thing was so loving stupid

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Rainmaker had been killing people pretty openly, judging by the clips that the movie showed on the news/the fighting in that scene where the guy was givin the hospital data. More and more of the people being sent back were Loopers, which makes sense in a "no better way to gently caress with the people you hate than making them kill themselves" way.

Yeah, that's fine for the guy who can level a city block with his mind, but the regular people working for him would still have to worry about cops showing up.

jabby posted:

This was discussed to death in the Looper thread, but the time travel is internally consistent, just in a strange way that no film has really done before. And its never said they can control where people end up, it could have been that they transported Bruce Willis to the US before sending him back through time or it could have been that each time machine comes fixed to a certain location elsewhere on the planet.

It wasn't consistent, the scene where the running looper loses pieces of himself one at a time shows that, if time travel worked the way it was shown, he would have gained each memory and injury as they happened, but it also would have effected the course of his life from that point forward. Each chunk they took off should have had him end up in an increasingly different situation, there's absolutely no way his life would have gone the same if he spent 30 years missing his arms and legs. Torturing the past version to preserve the future makes no sense when the torture would have such a dramatic effect on how he'd live his life, they could have just killed the past version and accomplished the same thing way easier.

As for transporting BW to the US, it's possible, but time travel(as other people mentioned) needs to be through time and space, you're hosed it you can only manage time. Though it would be a fantastic way to dump bodies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or time travel doesn't work how you want it to.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Or time travel doesn't work how you want it to.

I'm traveling through time right now, I'm pretty sure that makes me an expert :colbert:

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

cheerfullydrab posted:

Has there ever been a time travel movie that addresses the fact that the Earth might have been floating in a different place in space on a previous date? I mean if you can instantaneously transport people or things between two points in the universe that's almost as awesome and world-changing and potentially profitable as time travel is.

In Stargate they got the codes for accessing the gate addresses off a several-thousands-year-old artefact, and they sometimes mention how they need to calculate how far the planets have drifted around since then.

mind the walrus posted:

The more I read about LUCY the less it sounds like a movie and more like a proof-of-concept that people would pay to watch Scar-Jo as the lead in an action movie for 2 hours no matter how stupid the movie surrounding it was.

Choi Min-Sik is in it and he's brilliant in everything, so I just went to see it for him. His scenes were good, shame about the rest of it I suppose. :shrug:

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Aggressive pricing posted:

It wasn't consistent, the scene where the running looper loses pieces of himself one at a time shows that, if time travel worked the way it was shown, he would have gained each memory and injury as they happened, but it also would have effected the course of his life from that point forward. Each chunk they took off should have had him end up in an increasingly different situation, there's absolutely no way his life would have gone the same if he spent 30 years missing his arms and legs. Torturing the past version to preserve the future makes no sense when the torture would have such a dramatic effect on how he'd live his life, they could have just killed the past version and accomplished the same thing way easier.
What you stated never once happens in the movie. The problem is that you're inserting "facts" about time travel that the movie never states or uses. The movie is completely consistent with itself in that each time a past person is hosed with the future person receives the physical changes immediately *and nothing else happens*. This poo poo is fiction and time travel can happen however the movie wants it to happen. Sorry it doesn't work like you want it to work, but the movie never fudges its own logic.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Crumps Brother posted:

What you stated never once happens in the movie. The problem is that you're inserting "facts" about time travel that the movie never states or uses. The movie is completely consistent with itself in that each time a past person is hosed with the future person receives the physical changes immediately *and nothing else happens*. This poo poo is fiction and time travel can happen however the movie wants it to happen. Sorry it doesn't work like you want it to work, but the movie never fudges its own logic.

Don't they show that same character in a later scene being kept alive but maimed and captive until they could send back in time?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mister Nobody posted:

Don't they show that same character in a later scene being kept alive but maimed and captive until they could send back in time?

He's tortured until his future self relents and turns himself into the hitmen sent to kill him (they carve the address into the past self's arm).

You could argue that because the past self and the future self now exist at the same time, that's why the changes occur to him the way they do, ie immediately and not retroactively.

But the movie itself tells you to stop worrying about it. It's not a time travel movie, it's an action flick that happens to have time travel in it.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
I was responding to the poster who said that everytime he lost a piece of himself then that should have shifted his circumstances, since that tends to happen to people who get maimed.

The film makes it clear that his circumstances wont change, no matter what pieces he loses, since his past self is always going to be captive. As to why he sees the changes occuring bit by bit, well its because it makes for a cool and creepy as hell scene.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Morpheus posted:

But the movie itself tells you to stop worrying about it. It's not a time travel movie, it's an action flick that happens to have time travel in it.

It has basically this scene, except played straight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8w95xIdH4o

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Yeah, that's fine for the guy who can level a city block with his mind, but the regular people working for him would still have to worry about cops showing up.

As for transporting BW to the US, it's possible, but time travel(as other people mentioned) needs to be through time and space, you're hosed it you can only manage time. Though it would be a fantastic way to dump bodies.

It is implied that there is a certain amount of inertia with time travelling. The way I read it, the looper would go through life with his/her memories/life being replaced in real time. Thus, the runner loosing pieces of himself as they get amputated, and Old looper being able to remember what young looper did, while struggling to remember his own life. It also puts a bit of horror in the runner scene; even if he did manage to keep running, all he had to look forward to was his memories of life as a rich, attractive TK being replaced with those of a life living as a total invalid in the charity ward of a hospital somewhere.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

It makes perfect sense and is consistent within the movie, it's just not a way of dealing with time travel that has been done by a movie before. You are trying to apply rules from different movies.

Look at it this way. In the Looper universe if you change the timeline, you can only affect it going forwards. So if you cut a piece off someone all versions of them lose that piece at the same moment. Why weren't they always missing that piece? Because that would mean your changes had an effect before you made them. Why don't they jump to a completely different situation? Because that would require knowing the decisions they would have made if your change had affected their past.

Essentially it's time travel with free will. The characters actions are not predetermined and neither can changes to the timeline affect actions they have already taken. Simple.

EDIT: Oh dear god it's happening again. NEVER BRING UP LOOPER.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ducttape posted:

It is implied that there is a certain amount of inertia with time travelling. The way I read it, the looper would go through life with his/her memories/life being replaced in real time. Thus, the runner loosing pieces of himself as they get amputated, and Old looper being able to remember what young looper did, while struggling to remember his own life. It also puts a bit of horror in the runner scene; even if he did manage to keep running, all he had to look forward to was his memories of life as a rich, attractive TK being replaced with those of a life living as a total invalid in the charity ward of a hospital somewhere.

It's not even implied, Joe says it outright.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
What kind of bugs me now is that with that logic, instead of simply disappearing at the end, Old Joe should've died on the spot, with a massive hole in his head. So he'd leave a corpse, just not vanish magically. Maybe? But whatever.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Looper would have been so much better if the targets of the Rainmaker had been put in boxes in a storage facility in the future, then got shot by loopers at a "present-day" party.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

cheerfullydrab posted:

I read a book that played with this. The protagonist has a time travelling belt from one of the first people to figure out time travel. He has to calculate the Earth's orbit when he uses it. At some point his wife uses it while in a panic and a subplot is the group figuring out when she left so they can jump to that second to stage a rescue.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

cheerfullydrab posted:

That's pretty much the premise of Seven Days now that I think about it. The pilot of the time travel sphere has to keep control of the sphere and keep it locked on target, or else it ends up in orbit or the mantle.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > PYF Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments: NEVER BRING UP LOOPER

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Stottie Kyek posted:

In Stargate they got the codes for accessing the gate addresses off a several-thousands-year-old artefact, and they sometimes mention how they need to calculate how far the planets have drifted around since then.

Choi Min-Sik is in it and he's brilliant in everything, so I just went to see it for him. His scenes were good, shame about the rest of it I suppose. :shrug:

Adjusting for the drift is how they got rid of the frost covered effects that were in the movie and the first few episodes, in fact. Carter scienced up that they weren't 100% aligned, but close enough that the wormhole could connect. Once they calculated the correct drift, they no longer had the freezing problem. This was only an issue because Earth didn't have a real dial home device, and had to make one.

For a cheesy sci-fi show about visiting different planets where they wear different hats, they did some science stuff pretty okay.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Evilreaver posted:

That's pretty much the premise of Seven Days now that I think about it. The pilot of the time travel sphere has to keep control of the sphere and keep it locked on target, or else it ends up in orbit or the mantle.

What I always wondered about with that show was what happened to the present day version of the guy when he appeared from the future? I don't remember if they ever addressed that.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Kruller posted:

Adjusting for the drift is how they got rid of the frost covered effects that were in the movie and the first few episodes, in fact. Carter scienced up that they weren't 100% aligned, but close enough that the wormhole could connect. Once they calculated the correct drift, they no longer had the freezing problem. This was only an issue because Earth didn't have a real dial home device, and had to make one.

For a cheesy sci-fi show about visiting different planets where they wear different hats, they did some science stuff pretty okay.

In the Stargate movie the planet they go to is "on the other side of the known universe" in the show it's retconned to 300 light years away from the Earth. Neither really explains how the symbols on the gate itself actually work.

Jaaam posted:

What I always wondered about with that show was what happened to the present day version of the guy when he appeared from the future? I don't remember if they ever addressed that.

In the first episode it's stated that the present day pilot simply disappeared. In none of the other episodes is it mentioned again and present and past versions of the pilot never interact with each other.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

cheerfullydrab posted:

It the Time Machine, he sort of phases out of time and can still see everything happening around him really fast instead of just jumping ahead. So he could maybe still get pulled along by gravity.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Kruller posted:

Adjusting for stellar drift was how they got all the other addresses they found on Abadoss working in the series. Youre right they got it "working better" but initially it stopped them from using it at all as a lack of DHD meant it was all manual.

I cant remember how the movie did it but yeah, retcon. One thing SG1 did really well was maintain a lot of logical continuity throughout its run.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Kruller posted:

My friend was a science advisor for SG1. They basically employed a couple graduate students from UBC to make sure that the science in the show kept somewhat on the rails.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SG1's rep is definitely the best out of all the sci-fi shows I've ever heard of. It's well-known that in TNG-ENT they'd just write scripts with "tech" wherever they needed some vaguely plausible bullshit to allow the narrative to move forward (e.g: "We have to tech the tech so that the tech can tech and we can get out of here!") and then they'd just hand the script off to the science advisers and replace the word "tech" with whatever they said.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'm in the middle of Olympus Has Fallen, can I just say this entire movie should qualify for this thread? It's like they decided to do a movie about the president and the White House but refused to hire even an intern to do a cursory Google search on the topic. The overall premise would make a good movie, but this is possibly the worst movie I've ever seen.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Maybe explain better.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Ok so, Olympus Has Fallen North Korean terrorists assault and capture the white house through the following. First they fly a stolen AC-130 into DC and start shooting miniguns at everyone, after shooting down the two fighters scrambled to shoot it down. Of course they spoof all AA missiles fired at them with flares, because heat is the only way for a missile to track a target in bizarro universe.

Then they attack the white house proper with a ground assault from hidden terrorists in busses. The secret services response is of course to run into the lawn and die en mass, and also not wear bulletproof vests.

It then takes the army 15 minutes to get to the white house, because those are the only reinforcements nearby, obviously.

Lastly, the army is told by the bad guys to stand down, and they do because of course they'd negotiate with terrorists.

What's so goddamn irratating, is that while obviously the secret defenses of the white house are not public knowledge, but you could hire an advisor and do a better job. Or you could have the president and his team get kidnapped elsewhere, where security is understandably more lax. The idea that if terrorists swarmed the white house you wouldn't have hundreds if not thousands of law enforcement officers entering the perimeter en mass in minutes. Also that radar or laser guided missiles don't exist.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Elendil004 posted:

I'm in the middle of Olympus Has Fallen, can I just say this entire movie should qualify for this thread? It's like they decided to do a movie about the president and the White House but refused to hire even an intern to do a cursory Google search on the topic. The overall premise would make a good movie, but this is possibly the worst movie I've ever seen.

The good movie version of Olympus Has Fallen is White House Down, you're welcome.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The "free bullets for all the Secret Service" on the White House lawn is pretty funny.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It was like watching NPCs in a video game. The bad guys just shoot a minigun at the front door and 50 agents run through one at a time and immediately die.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Also there's a super secret Cerberus machine that if three codes are put in, lets people blow up nukes as a failsafe, but it's only got one computer that plugs into it or some dumb poo poo. Why not install a duress code that if entered hard locks the system?

This movie tries so hard to be a Die Hard movie.

edit: oh hey free bullets for the Seals too.

Elendil004 has a new favorite as of 01:49 on Nov 8, 2014

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Vhak lord of hate posted:

The good movie version of Olympus Has Fallen is White House Down, you're welcome.
Seconding this, White House Down treats the concept properly, which is to say they just have fun with it instead of pulling some Tom Clancy poo poo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pilchenstein posted:

Seconding this, White House Down treats the concept properly, which is to say they just have fun with it instead of pulling some Tom Clancy poo poo.

That's because right wing fantasies tend to be dumb as gently caress unless you have fun with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Pilchenstein posted:

They manage to both have more fun with it and have it make (somewhat, sorta) more sense.