Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

That little thing dragging Dark Souls down: the 'learn to play, noob' fanbase. :rolleyes:
He said it's fine that it's tailored for newcomers but that made it less to his personal taste as someone experienced with the series. That does not strike me as a particularly rude thing to say, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Old Iron King really is terrible. It's Ceaseless Discharge, a really boring and bad boss from the first game, but now there is an easy instant death pit you can fall in.

I'm so glad there wasn't a Bed of Chaos equivalent in this game.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

He said it's fine that it's tailored for newcomers but that made it less to his personal taste as someone experienced with the series. That does not strike me as a particularly rude thing to say, friend

That's right!

Although I do agree that many fans of Dark Souls are really defensive about the difficulty, me included. Probably since unless you could choose the difficulty yourself, making the bosses easier would lead to me having less fun. Newcomers having more fun (that's great!), but me having less fun. The Covenant of Champions is a good idea, if only it didn't block you from summoning people!

That little thing dragging Dark Souls down - the lack of variable difficulty? Maybe?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

That little thing dragging Dark Souls down: the 'learn to play, noob' fanbase. :rolleyes:

What about the "My game is loving PERFECT" fanbase :v:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Let's just all agree that the Souls fan base is insufferable in general.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Let's just all agree that the Souls fan base is insufferable in general.

I've read a bit of Dark Souls 2 pre-release thread, and people spoilering mechanics so intricate as "you can drop (discard) items" and applauding the rumoured mechanic of "if you hit a chest and it's not a mimic, the item inside is destroyed and turned to junk" helped me realize that those people are a bit insane.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Szurumbur posted:

I've read a bit of Dark Souls 2 pre-release thread, and people spoilering mechanics so intricate as "you can drop (discard) items" and applauding the rumoured mechanic of "if you hit a chest and it's not a mimic, the item inside is destroyed and turned to junk" helped me realize that those people are a bit insane.

Oh that's nothing, as crazy as hardcore Dark Souls fans can be they've got nothing on Prometheus fans.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Let's discuss who is good or bad with regard to what video games they like, as if you can't click over one forum and see that every single video game has a 500 page megathread filled with mouthbreathers who can't get enough of repeatedly posting the same opinions and jokes about the game they like (e.g. "[thing from video game] is a hell of a drug :stare:")

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

death .cab for qt posted:

Old Iron King really is terrible. It's Ceaseless Discharge, a really boring and bad boss from the first game, but now there is an easy instant death pit you can fall in.

He's easier to dodge, at least. I never liked fighting Discharge.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Szurumbur posted:

The chest destruction mechanic actually exists in DS2, it's pretty funny when an invader gets you to sabotage one.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

The chest destruction mechanic actually exists in DS2, it's pretty funny when an invader gets you to sabotage one.

I wouldn't know, I don't like the Souls series, it's just that immediate uncritical praise for a mechanic that I frankly found dumb was weird, to me. Oh well, to each his own.

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 21:27 on Nov 5, 2014

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
I bought Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition for PS4 mostly based on the high praise it got in this thread. I like most everything about the game except for a few issues.

Normally I love glitches and don't really mind when they pop up. For instance, during the date with Amanda I accidentally ran into her with a taxi and she ended up on the roof of the taxi running without moving like there was an invisible treadmill on my taxi. This is a good glitch, a loveable glitch, a story spawning glitch.

But yesterday I was playing and after beating a random cop mission the sound got all messed up and there was this really irritating police siren blaring without relief. So I reloaded my game but it didn't go away - I ended up having to turn my console off and on. Kind of annoying, but it got me off my rear end for about thirty seconds so that's something.

Other than that my only complaint would be how when Winston got Rob Starked, they didn't really do a great job of building up your relationship with him and Peggy. It seems like they could have done a better job with this instead of doing some of the missions where you beat up twelve people unrelated to the plot.

Really dig the combat and leveling and whatnot. Plus, being able to find the upgrades on your map is really convenient. Definitely worth the crappy, horrible mess that was The Evil Within I traded for it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
XCOM: Long War is overall pretty good, but there's some things that really bug me about it.

Like how stupidly resilient Sectopods and Outsiders are or half the aliens getting random perks.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The postgame content for Shin Megami Tensei IV is dumb as hell. Basically, there are some super tough demons hanging around various areas of Tokyo. If you beat them, you can create them through fusion and build an incredibly strong party. The problem is actually getting them to appear. They have something like a 1 in 100 chance to appear when you enter their areas. So if you want to fight them you have to enter an area, check to see if the fiend is there, run a few zones away to reset the area and repeat who knows how many times. If the fiend does appear you can save before fighting it for unlimited attempts, but imagine going through all the trouble of getting it to appear and then realizing you wouldn't be able to beat it with your current party. I did, and decided to put the game away before seeing a single one.

And the overworld suuuucckkkkedddd.

oldpainless posted:

All of the first half. Its a very difficult fight. I died at least 20 times to them.

I always found that the easiest part. Less instakill potential than the giant 1v1 fights.

death .cab for qt posted:

I'm so glad there wasn't a Bed of Chaos equivalent in this game.

I find him way easier than ceaseless discharge, his tells actually being in frame when fighting him helps a lot.

Szurumbur posted:

I wouldn't know, I don't like the Souls series, it's just that immediate uncritical praise for a mechanic that I frankly found dumb was weird, to me. Oh well, to each his own.

I can see why they did it. Players had adapted to the mimics from the first game by simply attacking every single chest before opening it. Of course the solution in DSII is just to attack every chest with a weak attack like an unarmed punch.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 00:38 on Nov 6, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, even with some decent luck with drops I'm lucky if I make it to the second boss. poo poo is insanely hard. If it would save while you play on the easy difficulty I'd enjoy it a lot more.

You can unlock a number of things on easy. IIRC challenges, monster logs and scores aren't saved but you can still get some things like most of the classes.

Incidently, the bosses in RoR are all kinda boring because of how easy they are. Colossus, Ancient Wisp, Ifriit, Imp Overlord/Vanguard and Toxic Beast all pretty pathetic. Lava Worm and Scavenger are somewhat more dangerous. Blighted Phantasms.. Depends on what they're based off, I suppose.

Cremators are such a ridiculously big step up to every both boss it's almost unbeliveable.

e: Wandering Vagabond is such a non issue I forgot it even existed.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

FredMSloniker posted:

grow up

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
This poo poo is why Dark Souls chat was disallowed in the last thread.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Speak for yourself, watching a bunch of armchair game developers opine at length about how every bad thing in Dark Souls is actually objectively good and every change in Dark Souls 2 is objectively bad because the YouTube video that they are mindlessly parroting verbatim said so is hilarious. It fills the hole that was left when the Silent Hill franchise died and you no longer had people writing up college theses about how the clunky gameplay and awful dialogue were actually intentional and brilliant because :itisapenismetaphor:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

One of the things that bugs me about Fishing Resort is that your character model blocks your view of where you cast your line a lot of the time.

Also gently caress oilfish :argh:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Moon Monster posted:

The postgame content for Shin Megami Tensei IV is dumb as hell. Basically, there are some super tough demons hanging around various areas of Tokyo. If you beat them, you can create them through fusion and build an incredibly strong party. The problem is actually getting them to appear. They have something like a 1 in 100 chance to appear when you enter their areas.

1 in 256. I know. I've slain a few of them.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Persona 3: It's very annoying how you have to constantly re-roll to get the skills you want when you're doing the 4-, 5-, or 6-persona fusions. When the pool of possible skills is that high I'd really rather they just let me pick rather than wade through all the iterations where my level-76 death god has lovely early-game skills like Cleave and Bufu.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Speak for yourself, watching a bunch of armchair game developers opine at length about how every bad thing in Dark Souls is actually objectively good and every change in Dark Souls 2 is objectively bad because the YouTube video that they are mindlessly parroting verbatim said so is hilarious. It fills the hole that was left when the Silent Hill franchise died and you no longer had people writing up college theses about how the clunky gameplay and awful dialogue were actually intentional and brilliant because :itisapenismetaphor:

Yeah, Silent Hill is bad and discussions about game design and how games can be better are also bad. Fly away, troll.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fly away, troll.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I still chuckle when I think of the guy who insisted that Spec Ops: The Line had bad gameplay on purpose because it was a metaphor for how war is also bad.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I still chuckle when I think of the guy who insisted that Spec Ops: The Line had bad gameplay on purpose because it was a metaphor for how war is also bad.

What have you done. Dark Souls:This thread::Spec Ops:Favorite thing thread.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
So uh, Coin Crypt is basically perfect but it just pisses me off whenever an enemy is holding a key and then decides to use it! I need that key to get more coins, drat it! It doesn't even do anything for you! You're using it just to use it, you bastard!
Anyone else playing Coin Crypt because I really like this game.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I've been playing La-Mulana lately. It's a great game, but a lot of the puzzles are solely difficult because all of the hints for them are in completely unrelated rooms on the other side of the map.

counterfeitpinecone
Sep 10, 2010

psychosis cat

The Steak Justice posted:

So uh, Coin Crypt is basically perfect but it just pisses me off whenever an enemy is holding a key and then decides to use it! I need that key to get more coins, drat it! It doesn't even do anything for you! You're using it just to use it, you bastard!
Anyone else playing Coin Crypt because I really like this game.

No but please god tell us more and get this thread back on track

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

StandardVC10 posted:

Persona 3: It's very annoying how you have to constantly re-roll to get the skills you want when you're doing the 4-, 5-, or 6-persona fusions. When the pool of possible skills is that high I'd really rather they just let me pick rather than wade through all the iterations where my level-76 death god has lovely early-game skills like Cleave and Bufu.

Yeah, this is something that Atlus only learned recently. They did learn it, though; SMTIV lets you choose every single one of your demon's skills.

In a way, I actually don't like this, because it compounds with the Demon Whisper system to mean my fighting style is very homogenous. Since the PC learns skills from his demons, and they get strengthened as you level up more demons with those same spells, I'm finding myself just having a very uniform fighting style across my team.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

"the" guy?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, this is something that Atlus only learned recently. They did learn it, though; SMTIV lets you choose every single one of your demon's skills.

In a way, I actually don't like this, because it compounds with the Demon Whisper system to mean my fighting style is very homogenous. Since the PC learns skills from his demons, and they get strengthened as you level up more demons with those same spells, I'm finding myself just having a very uniform fighting style across my team.

I believe they also added it in for Persona 4: Golden.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

muscles like this? posted:

I believe they also added it in for Persona 4: Golden.

They did, and it is a godsend. I guess they figured we were gonna keep rolling fusions until we got what we wanted anyway, so they thought they'd be nice and help us get back to the game instead of staring at randomly-changing lists of skills for hours.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Vanguard Warden posted:

I've been playing La-Mulana lately. It's a great game, but a lot of the puzzles are solely difficult because all of the hints for them are in completely unrelated rooms on the other side of the map.

La Mulana is annoying as poo poo because often the only way to advance is to break a random wall with your whip but the game teaches you early on that randomly hitting walls with your whip can lead to you getting zapped and then killed.

Also the entire game is designed with having a guide. Otherwise poo poo is impossible.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Anatharon posted:

XCOM: Long War is overall pretty good, but there's some things that really bug me about it.

Like how stupidly resilient Sectopods and Outsiders are or half the aliens getting random perks.

Exalt was worse. Twenty dudes on a tiny map vs your 4 plus an agent. Maps that are literally impossible to win (that aren't supposed to be impossible the way landed battleships and stuff are early on) that you don't even really get much for completing.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
So I finished Metro 2033 Redux and it was a pretty great game, outside of 2 sections.

One was when you had to escape Nazis in the tunnels by riding a cart with a machine gun. By default, you looked left and right with A and D and aimed up and down with the mouse. What this meant is that I died several times because in the heat of battle that is a terrible control scheme for hitting small targets. It should have just used the mouse or the keyboard for aiming, not both.

The other was the very end. There was no boss fight or even fighting at all, just three sections where you run towards the bad guy, then away from the bad guy in a maze, then away from the bad guy in a jumping puzzle.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

QuietLion posted:

So I finished Metro 2033 Redux and it was a pretty great game, outside of 2 sections.

One was when you had to escape Nazis in the tunnels by riding a cart with a machine gun. By default, you looked left and right with A and D and aimed up and down with the mouse. What this meant is that I died several times because in the heat of battle that is a terrible control scheme for hitting small targets. It should have just used the mouse or the keyboard for aiming, not both.

The other was the very end. There was no boss fight or even fighting at all, just three sections where you run towards the bad guy, then away from the bad guy in a maze, then away from the bad guy in a jumping puzzle.

I haven't played Redux so I'm not sure if anything's different about the end, but the lack of a Giant Glowing Weakspot Boss or even much of an antagonist at all was a really good thing about it in my opinion. In terms of gameplay it's probably a little unsatisfying that the last actual fighting you do is shooting mutants while running for your life, but thematically I think it fit better that the ending wasn't about violence (depending on the ending you chose :frog:).

It still felt super climactic the first time I played it, because everything got more and more surreal in the last ten minutes, and even before that I had used every single supply I had except shiny bullets on the run to the tower, so I was left with no option but to weaponize the last of my bank account. It actually felt as desperate as the game wanted it to be.

This isn't the metro thread so I'll save it but Last Light lost a lot of what metro 2033 did so well in my opinion.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jordbo posted:

He's definitely easier with ranged weapons, but he's incredibly easy with pure melee since he can be attacked during or after any of his attacks. Either after he slams his fist, leaving his hand vulnerable for literally seconds, or during his fire attacks.

I didn't like him though, since all of the "Old Ones" were way too easy and balanced for newcomers to the Souls series. Which is totally fine, just not optimal for anyone else.

Lost Sinner is one of the Old Ones, right? Because that fight rocked the poo poo out of me. I don't know how well newcomers were kept in mind when they created that boss.

One of the things I liked about DS 2 was how they made some bosses much easier by rewarding you for exploring. For example if you kind of rushed through Earten Peak and got to the boss you had to fight her in a pit of poison, which doesn't make the boss impossible but it is certainly much harder. If you explored well though you could have found how to restart the windmill, which drains all of the poison out of the boss room. If you spent enough time in the Lost Bastille you could find the key that lets you light up the Lost Sinner's room which makes the fight a lot simpler since she can't dissapear into the darkness on a whim.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Shadows of the damned is just so incredibly average in gameplay. Weird sense of humor and I like the art design but the entire game is just a 5 out of 10 and it feels like nothing new has come up since like the first 30 minutes.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I haven't played Redux so I'm not sure if anything's different about the end, but the lack of a Giant Glowing Weakspot Boss or even much of an antagonist at all was a really good thing about it in my opinion. In terms of gameplay it's probably a little unsatisfying that the last actual fighting you do is shooting mutants while running for your life, but thematically I think it fit better that the ending wasn't about violence (depending on the ending you chose :frog:).

It still felt super climactic the first time I played it, because everything got more and more surreal in the last ten minutes, and even before that I had used every single supply I had except shiny bullets on the run to the tower, so I was left with no option but to weaponize the last of my bank account. It actually felt as desperate as the game wanted it to be.

This isn't the metro thread so I'll save it but Last Light lost a lot of what metro 2033 did so well in my opinion.
From your description of the tower leading up to the final section of the game, it seems like Redux is pretty similar to the original game. Now I'm curious about choosing endings though, did Artyom perhaps have the option to not bomb the Dark Ones?

Basically I'm spoiled in terms of end-game bosses because I'm used to games with a clear antagonist, so the last section of Metro was a bit of a ride for me as I was expecting to possibly fight a Dark One head-on. But having the last encounter happen in your own mind did reinforce the fact that Dark Ones are incredibly powerful, and they don't even need to touch you in order to harm you. To be honest, even dying at that encounter wasn't so bad thanks to good checkpoints. It was also neat seeing what happened to Artyom in reality if you died while in that encounter.

The tower section was really excellent regardless though. Even though I had some spare ammo from earlier, I had to resort to using my military-grade bullets because I had only a couple filters remaining and the Demons don't really care if you put a couple slugs into their heads. I believe there was only one or two extra gas masks as well, so it really felt like it was coming down to the wire between my nearly-broken equipment/low ammo and the Dark Ones yelling at me in visions the higher up I got.

I've been told that Last Light has far more human enemies than mutants, so I'm unsure if I'll enjoy it or hate it. Watchers were jerks but Librarians were really cool and I'd hate if I didn't get to stare them down/fight them in the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

QuietLion posted:

From your description of the tower leading up to the final section of the game, it seems like Redux is pretty similar to the original game. Now I'm curious about choosing endings though, did Artyom perhaps have the option to not bomb the Dark Ones?

Actually yes, but the interesting thing is that you don't necessarily even get the option to do something else, and if you do then it's still your choice to launch the missiles or not. Basically the game tracks your behavior through the whole game and notices when you do something good, for example giving bullets to the beggars and the child in the second station you visit, or sneaking by the nazis talking about their families instead of killing them toward the end of the game. There's a quiet sound effect and the screen brightens for a moment when this happens. Conversely doing things like taking the bullets out of the guitarist's hat at the beginning of the game counts against you.

If you've done enough good things like that, at the end of the game you can shoot the missile tracker off the tower and spare the Dark Ones. However it never tells you it's monitoring what you do and it doesn't really make it obvious that you have that option even when it's available.

The story of Last Light assumes you nuked them however (obviously it's what most players did--I didn't even realize there was another ending or the "enlightened path" thing that lets you see it until I was halfway through my second playthrough). As improved as the gameplay in Last Light was (relative to the original metro 2033 anyway), I was kind of disappointed in how it dealt with that system. It didn't feel nearly as subtle and clever to me, although most people seem to like last light more than I did so maybe I'm being too hard on it.