Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
My favorite rules text is still Floral Spuzzem.

Does Floral Spuzzem choose to destroy that artifact? ... well, does it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

The Wicked Wall posted:

Thanks for the advice guys; we'll probably try putting in some of the silly blue hate cards first, but if the guy is a dick about it (as he has been about other things) then we'll know where to tell him to stick his deck.

I'm uh... sorry for bringing up EDH politics? I guess?

So I know this is a bit late, but one of the most hilarious and obscure blue hate cards is Curse of Marit Lage. It might not be as effective as boil, but it certainly is more frustrating for the blue player if they don't run daze/gush/thwart/whatever else.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
I've always liked Rock Hydra for ridiculous flavor over-explanation:

"Don't you get it? the counters are HEADS"

Honorable mention to Portal Raging Goblin for most unnecessary reminder text:

WotC should just add "Unless another effect prevents this" to every card ever printed honestly.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Well, it's Portal. Unnecessary texts and cards for that matter were everywhere.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Well yeah, but were there even any cards available at the time that turned off Haste? There were fog effects and stuff, but those don't actually stop you from attacking.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

LanceKing2200 posted:

Well yeah, but were there even any cards available at the time that turned off Haste? There were fog effects and stuff, but those don't actually stop you from attacking.

Nope, and the 4 other cards with haste in the first Portal doesn't have the text. The goblin obv. has the superior template.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There were cards around that could prevent it from attacking, but I don't recall anything that specifically interacted with Haste.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

sarmhan posted:

There are more Magic references in Binding of Isaac too- Items called Lord of the Pit and Spirit of the Night.

How have I sunk like 700 hours into Isaac and not recognized these as Magic references? God DAMNIT.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

BJPaskoff posted:

How have I sunk like 700 hours into Isaac and not recognized these as Magic references? God DAMNIT.

I dunno, Spirit of the Night is just close enough to being specific enough that I buy it as a Magic reference, but if not for the other Magic references present, "Lord of the Pit" is just generic enough that I wouldn't assume it was a reference if it was by itself.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Why are you guys splashing Red in the timetwister deck, there is no need to make the mana base worse like that. Just play mono blue and kill with Psionic Blast.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Clearly Lavalanche is the better option here.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Crumbling Sanctuary and Goblin Cannon wincon.
E: Surely just Denying Wind, right? Only need to use 72 mana casting it to win!

is that good fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 5, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Nothing seems impressive anymore ever since seeing that deck that, when played optimally and with a god draw against a goldfish opponent, takes longer than the age of the universe to win.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Nothing seems impressive anymore ever since seeing that deck that, when played optimally and with a god draw against a goldfish opponent, takes longer than the age of the universe to win.

Not sure what you're referring to but 4 Horsemen doesn't take that long to win.

Also upset that the slow play rules allow multiple pile shuffles on fetchland activations (elaborating this to exclude piling to count cards) but effectively ban Battle of Wits (okay this is probably reasonable) and 4 horsemen (tragic as this deck is a piece of art).

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 5, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Zoness posted:

Not sure what you're referring to but 4 Horsemen doesn't take that long to win.

Also upset that the slow play rules allow multiple pile shuffles on fetchland activations but effectively ban Battle of Wits and 4 horsemen.

There was a challenge to make the deck where you had to set up the slowest win possible. You could control all variables (ie you always choose the outcome of a coin flip, always draw the card you want) but you couldn't go infinite. It was a work of art.

Neither of those is really slow play. Battle of Wits is fine if you can shuffle reasonably quickly. It just 4/0'd a modern daily yesterday in most glorious stream I've ever watched. 4 Horsemen is tricky because you're only allowed X iterations of your infinite combo without changing something in the game, and X is 100% arbitrary based on the judge. So maybe you do 6 iterations, declare attacks, do 6 more, cast Ponder, do 6 more, blah blah blah. It seems silly that you can't say "here's my infinite combo. Given an infinite number of cycles, my deck will eventually end up with such and such configuration" and set up your deck in such a way, but eh, them's the rules.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I remember the non-infinite 1st turn damage challenge, which ended up with such brutally high numbers it had worked its way through to Conway notation by the end, but not the simple longest possible goldfish challenge.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

There was a challenge to make the deck where you had to set up the slowest win possible. You could control all variables (ie you always choose the outcome of a coin flip, always draw the card you want) but you couldn't go infinite. It was a work of art.

Neither of those is really slow play. Battle of Wits is fine if you can shuffle reasonably quickly. It just 4/0'd a modern daily yesterday in most glorious stream I've ever watched. 4 Horsemen is tricky because you're only allowed X iterations of your infinite combo without changing something in the game, and X is 100% arbitrary based on the judge. So maybe you do 6 iterations, declare attacks, do 6 more, cast Ponder, do 6 more, blah blah blah. It seems silly that you can't say "here's my infinite combo. Given an infinite number of cycles, my deck will eventually end up with such and such configuration" and set up your deck in such a way, but eh, them's the rules.

To be fair, cards like surgical and extirpate can reasonably interact with the horsemen loop.

Also shuffling 200+ sleeved cards is way harder in paper as opposed on modo

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 5, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

suicidesteve posted:

Please tell me you have a list for that Battle of Wits deck.

I once participated in a Three Card Magic game to make the slowest possible win. I came up with a deck of Icatian Store, Sustaining Spirit, and Steeling Stance, which takes 426 turns to win. However, the slowest was actually Broodstar, Naked Singularity, Sand Silos, which takes 666 turns to win.

My favourite idea for a weird deck is to use the Turing-completeness of Magic to make a deck that wins the game if the Collatz conjecture is true, and draws the game if it's false. The game will be in limbo until someone manages to prove or not prove that conjecture.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Chamale posted:

Please tell me you have a list for that Battle of Wits deck.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-11-14-aPf-modern-battlepod-10/

The funny thing was he pretty much just won by beating, and once by Angel/Spike Feeder. Every Battle of Wits he cast got Remanded or countered.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Battle of wits is obviously fine online, where it's just as easy to randomize 250 cards as it is in 60. The official stance on playing it in paper is that it's not reasonably possible to adequately randomize a deck of that size in the allotted time, effectively restricting it to MODO.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wait, since when has magic had a maximum deck size restriction?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah, that. I don't remember it in full, but the win condition was something ludicrous involving that goblin tribal enchantment that deals 1 damage whenever something dies. It required you to painstakingly slowly generate enough thrulls to kill your opponent, but the real kicker was that because of its diabolically awkward mana base, the only way to get to that point involved casting Beacon of Immortality something like 140 times. Targeting your opponent. With Hive Mind out. The result is that your opponent's life total scales exponentially into the stratosphere before you're ready to start the thrull-ping loop... and that loop scales linearly (and your mana base is still too awkward to allow more than like 1 damage a turn).

I don't remember how, but they somehow threw in another exponent in there. So rather than taking a mere 2^140 (1e42 - already longer than the age of the universe if one turn takes one second) turns to win, you needed something like 2^(2^140) turns to do it. Which is a number so big it can't be represented directly.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Chill la Chill posted:

Wait, since when has magic had a maximum deck size restriction?

There technically isn't one, but there's a limit on shuffle time and a requirement that your deck is adequately randomized, and it becomes impossible to respect both once your deck is too big.

e: though if we're being pedantic, there IS a limit- it's 4 times the number of distinct cards legal in your format plus the number of basic land cards in existence :v:

Starving Autist fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 5, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

There technically isn't one

all that needed to be said

if a judge stops you from entering a tournament with a 250 card deck post it to reddit and they'll go to jail or something

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There technically isn't one, but there's a limit on shuffle time and a requirement that your deck is adequately randomized, and it becomes impossible to respect both once your deck is too big.

Right, so what's now the maximum deck size for sufficient human randomized action until it's too much? Or is this one of those BS rulings (just like the 4 horsemen one that led to this discussion) of "I know it when I see it"

E: for the record 4 horsemen is the best deck next to the Thrull deck. Eggs comes at a distant third

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 5, 2014

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Mortimer posted:

all that needed to be said

if a judge stops you from entering a tournament with a 250 card deck post it to reddit and they'll go to jail or something

They can't stop you from entering, but they will definitely get you either for failure to sufficiently randomize or slow pay for taking too much time to shuffle.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

Right, so what's now the maximum deck size for sufficient human randomized action until it's too much? Or is this one of those BS rulings (just like the 4 horsemen one that led to this discussion) of "I know it when I see it"

if {(([# of cards]^format) / size of dominant hand in inches) + [Judge's love of durdling]} >=1 , then you can play

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chill la Chill posted:

E: for the record 4 horsemen is the best deck next to the Thrull deck. Eggs comes at a distant third

Who knows? Maybe you have massive dextrous hands and can shuffle 250 cards like a wiz. Or maybe after you fumble for 5 minutes trying to shuffle 60 cards you get a penalty. I'd like to think you are just being an rear end in a top hat and know there isn't an answer to this question, but maybe you're just retarded. It depends but 60 cards is reasonable for most people, and 250 probably is not. I'd guess anything north of EDH deck size is probably pushing it, given they're a pain to shuffle.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Why has no one made a mechanical card shuffler that works with sleeved cards?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Entropic posted:

Was literally about to post exactly this. This would not only make decks like BoW playable, it would speed up fetches/etc, AND eliminate all of the shuffle cheats we've seen recently.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I guess in theory the machine could be rigged but that would be harder to do than manual shady shuffling.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

They can't stop you from entering, but they will definitely get you either for failure to sufficiently randomize or slow pay for taking too much time to shuffle.

Tell em you have fibromyalgia and/or rheumatoid arthritis problem solved

Anyone who says "yes I will be a magic judge who upholds the wizard laws no big decks" is a retard baby.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

Is it possible to make a mechanical shuffler that never mangles a card?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Entropic posted:

Vegas card shufflers occasionally eat decks of cards, which is no problem when it's a blackjack deck but horrific if it had a bunch of dual lands.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

A shuffling machine would also have to have next to zero chance of mechanical failure because as soon as it gums up and shreds or creases a money card that poo poo's going out the window

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Entropic posted:

Because mechanical shufflers inevitably damage cards.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

e: though if we're being pedantic, there IS a limit- it's 4 times the number of distinct cards legal in your format plus the number of basic land cards in existence :v:

Shoot and this format allows Shadowborn Apostle and Relentless Rats.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
A mechanical shuffler could be designed for sleeved cards and have a bunch of saftey mechanisms to prevent mangled cards but it would probably shuffle only slightly faster than a player and cost twice as much as a normal one until it could be mass-marketed.

That said, I'm surprised no-one has kickstarted one yet.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Thor-Stryker posted:

A mechanical shuffler could be designed for sleeved cards and have a bunch of saftey mechanisms to prevent mangled cards but it would probably shuffle only slightly faster than a player and cost twice as much as a normal one until it could be mass-marketed.

That said, I'm surprised no-one has kickstarted one yet.

Magic is a pretty niche hobby. I can't see one that actually has to keep the cards pristine being cheap at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mortimer posted:

Tell em you have fibromyalgia and/or rheumatoid arthritis problem solved

Anyone who says "yes I will be a magic judge who upholds the wizard laws no big decks" is a retard baby.

Anyone who says this is an idiot.

• Locked thread