Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Heavy Rain really does start out brilliantly (except that Jason dies in a really stupid way) but you can kinda sorta tell that there's no way they could make a whole game with that level of attention to detail. The stuff Cage wants to do with his games is just unfeasible; unreasonable in the case of Heavy Rain, maybe not, because there are games or books or movies that have pulled off intricately woven stories with multiple protagonists like that. But there's just no way to account for everything a player will think of doing and respond accordingly. The quality of the writing just drags the whole thing down even further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Trexy posted:

Is there a reason Dark souls went from every other day to it seems like once a week? Back to back Japan trips seem like the obvious answer but it seemed like from how long it took "know what I mean? Perfect" to catch up with them that they were a month ahead posting schedule.

Wouldn't surprise me if we'd been seeing a backlog of stuff that got recorded before Pat and Woolie took their trips, and that the backlog's now expended.

Do not even ask posted:

Heavy Rain is the most frustrating of David Cage's games because it's the one with the most potential to be great and it squanders it so hard.

The reveal of the killer in that game is still the dumbest loving thing. loving Shelby lying to the player (or at least being deliberately evasive) in his loving inner monologues.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The thing that 100% breaks Heavy Rain's story to pieces no matter what way you play it happens about 2/3rds of the way through: When Shelby and Lauren go to the curio shop to get info on a typewriter possibly used by the killer, Manfred, the nice old guy who helps them out, gets killed while they are there. Shelby and Lauren are talking about a neat music box or something while Manfred is in the back looking up the registry for who bought the typewriter. When the cutscene is over, control goes back to the player and Shelby starts wondering what's taking Manfred so long... and then when you go over there, he's dead and a nearby window is wide open implying somebody killed him.

Shelby calls the cops, and then he and Lauren cover their tracks so they aren't implicated and get the hell out of there. The problem is that during the "Shelby is the killer" reveal, they show that Shelby killed Manfred even though Manfred died while you are playing as Shelby.
It's one of the few absolutely mandatory scenes in the entire game (the game even railroads you there if you try real hard to get Lauren killed or out of the picture) and it is just incredible how they missed something so obvious.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

The thing that 100% breaks Heavy Rain's story to pieces no matter what way you play it happens about 2/3rds of the way through: When Shelby and Lauren go to the curio shop to get info on a typewriter possibly used by the killer, Manfred, the nice old guy who helps them out, gets killed while they are there. Shelby and Lauren are talking about a neat music box or something while Manfred is in the back looking up the registry for who bought the typewriter. When the cutscene is over, control goes back to the player and Shelby starts wondering what's taking Manfred so long... and then when you go over there, he's dead and a nearby window is wide open implying somebody killed him.

Shelby calls the cops, and then he and Lauren cover their tracks so they aren't implicated and get the hell out of there. The problem is that during the "Shelby is the killer" reveal, they show that Shelby killed Manfred even though Manfred died while you are playing as Shelby.
It's one of the few absolutely mandatory scenes in the entire game (the game even railroads you there if you try real hard to get Lauren killed or out of the picture) and it is just incredible how they missed something so obvious.

The worst part is Shelby thinking "Wonder what happened to Manfred." You could sort of pretend that the thing could have happened while the camera was looking the other way and it wouldn't have quite been the dumbest thing ever, but then the game just flat lies to you.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

One thing I really like about Cage games is attention to detail in the art assets. All the homes, exterior and especially interior shots look amazingly realistic. I also really enjoyed all the many different outfits and hairstyles they had for Ellen Page and Dafoe throughout the game. I love that poo poo and wish more games had your character change costume. That was also the only thing I liked about The Force Unleashed :shobon:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

The worst part is Shelby thinking "Wonder what happened to Manfred." You could sort of pretend that the thing could have happened while the camera was looking the other way and it wouldn't have quite been the dumbest thing ever, but then the game just flat lies to you.

Eh, he could just be making a sarcastic joke to himself that the player doesn't realize IS a joke. That part doesn't really bother me.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC5BIvPydTY

OH gently caress

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

beep by grandpa posted:

One thing I really like about Cage games is attention to detail in the art assets. All the homes, exterior and especially interior shots look amazingly realistic.

And none of the characters act like human beings or like characters in a story. Maybe he should stick to rendering furniture and stop writing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Eh, he could just be making a sarcastic joke to himself that the player doesn't realize IS a joke. That part doesn't really bother me.

How the gently caress doesn't it bother you, you are literally playing as Shelby outside of a cutscene when it happens and then the game reveals later that the thing that happened while you were playing was done by the character you're playing as. Unless you are only talking about Shelby's inner monologue in which case that's kinda dumb if it's true but I can see how they could go with that angle.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And none of the characters act like human beings or like characters in a story. Maybe he should stick to rendering furniture and stop writing.

This bothered me the most about the endgame. Madison escapes an exploding apartment building and her options are to: Call Ethan, Call Jayden, Call nobody and just go save Shaun herself. There is no option to call the police or anything even though that would make complete sense. By the time Madison gets to where the final confrontation happens, the cops are already there anyway, but still have some common sense dammit.

Also, Ethan not taking the giant loving box full of evidence directly to the police, but then by that point he still thinks he is the killer and he's testing his own love for his son or whatever, so that's just a whole different stupid issue.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 5, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

That intro is "really good"

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

6 seconds in and I'm sorry Matt but please tell Woolie to shave. Whatever died on his chin is not a good look for him.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

oh man you don't wanna read the youtube comments for this one

i mean, not that you should be reading youtube comments in the first place, but still

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I did it for you and don't worry this is the only one worth reading because it is true.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just watched episode 3 of D4 and I'm going to empty quote this again

Ruggington posted:

Oh my god I cannot handle D4

swery is god

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I did it for you and don't worry this is the only one worth reading because it is true.

To be fair Best Friends' weird hate of George (He's in all of 2 loving scenes and they have this hilarious hate boner for him) and new George Surrogate Loki is pretty funny/dumb.

As is their dislike of Luka's new design because he looks dumb. Because it's kind of the point. If you ever looked at Luka and though "Wow look at how cool this guy is!" you're part of the joke that is Luka. He's a big dumb nerd messing with poo poo way over his head and is just a joke. Of course his new glasses look doofy, it's the point. Luka should not ever be a figure for anything other than Mockery.

Other than that and Pat's 'jet lag' that video's pretty great.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Luka's new design is just a mess to look at. It's not even in a dorky way, I just hate looking at him because he has too much poo poo on his person. It's a cluttered mess of a design which is interesting considering every one else is pretty minimal as far as extra stuff on their body goes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

Luka's new design is just a mess to look at. It's not even in a dorky way, I just hate looking at him because he has too much poo poo on his person. It's a cluttered mess of a design which is interesting considering every one else is pretty minimal as far as extra stuff on their body goes.

I dunno, the fact that he is the one person so overly cluttered makes me think it's on purpose so it comes across as "Man maybe if I dress all cool and fancy then Bayo and friends will notice me!" and like the big loser that he is he just kept stacking on affectation after affectation. Which I find to be pretty funny.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh it's definitely done on purpose, I just don't like the particular way they did it. The new look has a bit too much to it even for like a look where I can go "Hah" and instead I'm just kinda "Eh, I get what they're going for, but it's just unpleasant to look at."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only thing I know about Bayonetta for sure is that the nerd tears when I say I don't like it as much as DMC and think it's not all that great are delicious.

edit: Bayonetta 2 looks alright but I'd have to play it to see if I personally like how it plays or not.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 6, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

The only thing I know about Bayonetta for sure is that the nerd tears when I say I don't like it as much as DMC and think it's not all that great are delicious.

I still like DMC 4 more. I wouldn't say it's a better game, but I would say I prefer playing it to Bayo, personally. The style swapping is so much fun and the weapons in Bayo aren't exactly...as important as DMC weapons are? Like in Bayo one the only ones that REALLY changed how you fought were the whips and the cannons. Otherwise it was the same combos with roughly the same speed. Compare that to the differences in Using Lucifer and Gilgamesh just for example.

Bayo does have a dedicated dodge button though, so that's one thing it has over DMC.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man Pat, I wasn't expecting high level play and "Oh I'll uh... I'll play 3rd climax on my own time." After seeing how he played on 2nd I'm not sure if that's such a good idea jeez.

Also "LUKA hosed A DOG!!!"

Don't even know the DEEP COMPLEX LORE that he's just talking about his pets at home <:mad:>

Seriously though I liked the video, even though you guys talking over each other kinda made it a babble at times. What on earth are people getting so bent out of shape about? Or is it just /v/ finding the video?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't remember which it was but the steam thread or 360 thread acted like I basically said it's the worst game of all time or something, and it isn't, it's just not as good as DMC.

edit: It was the steam thread which is funny because bayonetta isn't even a pc game. Some choice quotes

The Colonel posted:

Man, I'm not even a big DMC fan and I've never played Bayonetta and my entire experience with Bayonetta 1 and 2 is that I like listening to the music from both games but goddammit man you just don't say that poo poo. :colbert:

Andrast posted:

Thanks for letting us know your opinions on character action games can be safely ignored.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 6, 2014

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I still like DMC 4 more. I wouldn't say it's a better game, but I would say I prefer playing it to Bayo, personally. The style swapping is so much fun and the weapons in Bayo aren't exactly...as important as DMC weapons are? Like in Bayo one the only ones that REALLY changed how you fought were the whips and the cannons. Otherwise it was the same combos with roughly the same speed. Compare that to the differences in Using Lucifer and Gilgamesh just for example.

Bayo does have a dedicated dodge button though, so that's one thing it has over DMC.

I like Bayo better than DMC4 and probably DMC3, but that's because Witch Time is one of the most rewarding things ever. I agree about the weapons tho, they don't feel as distinct as DMC's.

CJacobs posted:

I don't remember which it was but the steam thread or 360 thread acted like I basically said it's the worst game of all time or something, and it isn't, it's just not as good as DMC.

edit: It was the steam thread which is funny because bayonetta isn't even a pc game. Some choice quotes

You did say it was way worse than DMC, but then again I tend to agree with the Steam chat on this specific matter.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
DMC4 is legit my favorite video game, so I'm glad we can all agree it is the best.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Somebody get my controller to work with the pc version of DMC3 thanks

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Beef Waifu posted:

DMC4 is legit my favorite video game, so I'm glad we can all agree it is the best.

It's not even the best DMC. Sorry.

it's the new one

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Platinum fans' ability to bumrush and dogpile anyone who dares criticize their games is pretty insane. Like, yeah they make really good games but calm the hell down if someone says "Oh I didn't really like X so much".

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dias posted:

It's not even the best DMC. Sorry.

it's the new one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoMZrrnZxG8

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Well The Colonel is a loving ignoramus because he doesn't understand the crazy beauty of The Time Has Come and So Have I. Also the first Bayo game REALLY suffers in level design. Especially any area with the wall running, because the camera in Platinum games barely work on a flat open fight area so when you stick a 90 degree turn into an arena the camera just doesn't do it's job.

And it has loving terrible bosses. They're big pretty spectacles but none of them are actively fun to fight because they're 80% run on enemy to weakspot, hit until dead, do more platforming to get back, repeat til victory. The obvious exceptions are Some of the Jeanne fights and parts of the Lumen Sage boss fight.

Also the game is filled with lovely instant Game over QTE's, or at least gently caress-up-and-take-big-damage, some of which are in the middle of actual boss fights.

The final Jeanne fight is the worst because it combines the Walk on wall mechanics that break the camera with AI that loves to hove at the corner of the two walls because it's easy flip between walls to dodge your attack that has a lovely minigame gating the boss every time AND has lovely super fast QTE moments between the phases of the fight. I will NEVER understand the 2BF's reverence for that fight when that whole level is basically a condensed version of everything bad Platinum sneaks into most of their games.

Jeanne 3 (The plane fight) is pretty great though, mostly because it's a big enough space the camera doesn't poo poo itself.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 6, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bayonetta as a series is way more satisfying then DMC for me. I won't say I dislike DMC but Bayo felt like a natural progression of the series and is better in just about every way. Soon as she gets styles I won't ever have a reason to go back to those games.

Also the final Jeanne fight owns and the only lovely thing is the missile minigame at the start of it.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 6, 2014

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Ruggington posted:

Somebody get my controller to work with the pc version of DMC3 thanks

http://www.nexusmods.com/devilmaycry3/mods/1/ has an option to force xinput so your 360 controller works. probably. Haven't tested it. This also has a lot of other things like dmc4 style switching in dmc3 and some things to fix the graphics and a bunch of other stuff you can turn on and off, etc.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 6, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also Jeanne 3 owns and the only lovely thing is the missile minigame at the start of it.

Jeanne 3 is the one on the Airplane and you're right that one does own. The last one however has bullshit QTE's and and the worst style of arena for a Platinum game camera. And is preceded by one of the worst Space Harrier style levels Platinum's ever done. They're a lot better in W101, but boy was it terrible in Bayo 1.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 6, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dias posted:

You did say it was way worse than DMC, but then again I tend to agree with the Steam chat on this specific matter.

I guess when I said it was way worse it was goon hyperbole sneaking in.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I just finished playing through Bayonetta (never finished it on 360, I wasn't quite in the proper mindset for character action at that point) and it was loving great. Had some definite problems (incomprehensible story, questionable gameplay sequences near the end, fighting Fortitudo and Temperantia WAY TOO MANY TIMES) but I'd probably place it about on par with DMC3.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Seriously though I liked the video, even though you guys talking over each other kinda made it a babble at times. What on earth are people getting so bent out of shape about? Or is it just /v/ finding the video?
/v/ loves the Best Friends, Woolie and Liam drop in for Q&As every so often. It's a video game with a high skill ceiling and the video has people not playing near it, of course the YT comments are awful, it's just internet law.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Rodyle posted:

/v/ loves the Best Friends, Woolie and Liam drop in for Q&As every so often. It's a video game with a high skill ceiling and the video has people not playing near it, of course the YT comments are awful, it's just internet law.

Even if they got Pure Platinum on every fight, someone on youtube would find a reason to bitch about their playstyle.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
edit: You know what, he's not even worth responding to.

And that is why I don't read YT comments.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 6, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh hey, a D4 episode too.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Aww, they don't like George (I'm assume this is the kid from MGR) and Loki? That's too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
George is awesome if only for his subtitles.