Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

For people who have been having the black screen bug on Mac, you can work around this by disabling your discrete graphics card and using just the integrated one. There's a utility that does this called gfxCardStatus that you can use, just switch to "Integrated Only" before launching Rebirth. This let me change the gamma, so I'm assuming it will fix the stomp glitch as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

what the fuuck sidescrolling isaac

Link's Awakening style!

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Kurtofan posted:

Link's Awakening style!

Quoting this for hilarity.

Also noting me being a :spergin: right now about Zelda.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Small thing I just noticed: Spectral tears no longer make it harder to shoot poops and flames. I guess that was never by design but rather just one of the limitations of the original game.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
How do you get rid of blue and purple flames, anyway? I assume you can but I can't figure out how.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ChibiSoma posted:

Got a weird item on that run that dropped my attack to 1, but made my shots super fast and super tiny. Sadly, I found out that you can't build your damage back up. It's permanently stuck at 1. I'm not sure what it's called, but I dubbed it Seizure Tears after going up against Gurdy. Christ.

Isn't that Soy Milk?

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

kalonZombie posted:

How do you get rid of blue and purple flames, anyway? I assume you can but I can't figure out how.

Bombs.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

13/f/cali posted:

Small thing I just noticed: Spectral tears no longer make it harder to shoot poops and flames. I guess that was never by design but rather just one of the limitations of the original game.

They also don't affect technology lasers as a Spirit of the Night and Technology 2 combo taught me.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Really wish the item collection screen told you what they did after collecting them instead just a picture. Was hoping they would have utilized some sort of in-game wiki knowing how the first went, but ah well, game's still pretty fun.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Does anyone know what Breath of Life does?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Found a room with a black heart and mom's hands. Taking the black heart and getting caught by a hand teleported me to the start of the map. Going back to that room had the black heart still in there and a hand just waiting to catch you. Still didn't help me kill mom's heart with magdalene though :(

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fancy Hat! posted:

Really wish the item collection screen told you what they did after collecting them instead just a picture. Was hoping they would have utilized some sort of in-game wiki knowing how the first went, but ah well, game's still pretty fun.

At the very least, the in-game descriptions would suffice, rather then nothing at all.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
-41 win streak, still haven't beaten mom's heart after 6 hours of playing, what am I doing wrong?

e: It seems like most people suck but get a broken combo and win.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Oxyclean posted:

At the very least, the in-game descriptions would suffice, rather then nothing at all.

I may not have played enough to notice, but do Pill Descriptions carry between sessions?

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893

Zeratanis posted:

Bob's Rotten Brain is the stupidest god drat thing ever. Oh yes, I'd love something that pops up and instantly blows me up when I'm near something. :tizzy:

It also kills mother in just 4-5 hits. It's a fantastic item.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893

Fancy Hat! posted:

I may not have played enough to notice, but do Pill Descriptions carry between sessions?

No. Pills are random. Think potions in a rogue like. What might be lemon party in one is a stat down in another session.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Fancy Hat! posted:

Pill effects are randomized every session, so no.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Fancy Hat! posted:

No. They're like potions in Nethack, where you find the effect for the run duration only.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fancy Hat! posted:

At least the item descriptions are actually helpful this time around and straight up say stuff like "HP+, -run speed" instead of being vague. Still, you can use http://platinumgod.co.uk/ until you learn what everything does.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Loot posted:

Yeah the hearts you can get in Boss Rush are something else, that's for sure.

I had the demon baby the first time I beat the boss rush outside of a challenge. There were almost 25 of the suckers once I was done not even counting any of the ones I picked up during the fight.

Slow roller is an amazing challenge. I got brimstone on the first devil deal and a guppy's head not too long after. One Brimstone shot could clear out the whole room and one shot every boss I encountered, and the flies could each take out like 3 enemies before dieing.

Then on my first Azazael run I got the Ludivico technique on the first treasure room, and the Demon baby on the first devil deal. That run was almost as broken.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
God, Brimstone + Lil Brimstone. :allears: It's a simple combination, but so enjoyable.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Apparently not all special seeds are 8 characters long:

KAPPA makes your character greyscale. In reference to a twitch smiley, apparently.

Still not sure if 1337 haxr is a code or not.

KingShiro posted:

Poptosis + Ring Worm is pretty good.
Proptosis is a great item. Massive short range damage. Getting damage ups makes it start out bigger, and thus fly farther. Woe be to your enemies if you get multishot items.

If anyone wants to see such a combo in action: EN4X ZL9A, again, I'm not sure if unlocking more items can change what you get or not, but this code was my second or so run. So worst case, pop it up into a fresh save file.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Turtlicious posted:

-41 win streak, still haven't beaten mom's heart after 6 hours of playing, what am I doing wrong?

e: It seems like most people suck but get a broken combo and win.

Not really, broken combos just make people more likely to post about them. You don't need anything special to get to and beat the heart on Normal, maybe just need to work on dodging.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I think I figured out that my problem preventing the game from starting is my sound card. Specifically, I don't think I have one at all. :psyduck:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Idk maybe if someone would show or talk about a consistent win streak, but right now what I hear (and see on most streams!) Is some dude dying a bunch until he gets some cool poo poo.

e: You can tell me to git gud, but it's not like we know you're any good either.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Idk maybe if someone would show or talk about a consistent win streak, but right now what I hear (and see on most streams!) Is some dude dying a bunch until he gets some cool poo poo.

e: You can tell me to git gud, but it's not like we know you're any good either.

I mean, that's kind of binding of issac in general. Skill can overcome bad luck, but going up against mom's heart with poo poo items and basically taking several minutes to chip down health is going to suck, and unless your like a shmup pro, you'll probably get hit a bunch.

You can win a game without getting a super combo, but you'll still need some good items.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

The good BoI players absolutely destroyed the original with 100+ win streaks being pretty common place. People are still learning this one and what all the items do but I imagine it'll eventually be the same. Good players can make it far with pretty much any items simply by knowing the enemies and good dodging.

I've got around 5 or 6 kills now with only 2 deaths and I can honestly say that a couple of those runs were extremely questionable with the items that I had and at least 2 of them came down good dodging and one or two hearts left.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Kgummy posted:

Still not sure if 1337 haxr is a code or not.

It might just be something that fits the seed requirements by accident.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Finally found IPECAC. Hello old friend :allears:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if you have over 40 deaths in a row then the issue might not be the items

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Even though I've platinumed the original and remember a good chunk of stuff, I do die a lot. You just need practise, you won't be perfect at a new game, there's a lot to learn in this game. Definitely figuring out how to get around enemies and then rolling your eyes when you walk into them like an idiot anyway is the key to this game. And keep a note on what items to NEVER pick up. Well, okay, just the once to get them in the list, or a few more times if they're an achievement related combo, but man, Missing Page 2 and Bob's Brain are two I will never get, along with the numerous others from the original.

Also, if you don't unlock anything in a run, congrats, you just wasted half an hour! The beauty of rougelikes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I got killed by the little 10-way burst Mom's Heart does when you finish it off. :negative:

edit: Thankfully it still counted as a win, it just didn't add one to my win streak. In order for it to add the unlockable I got from it to the secrets list, I had to go to the endings menu and look at the ending I WOULD have gotten, and then the unlockable unlocked for real.

Unfortunately it was 'everything is terrible'. :negative::negative:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Damo posted:

Well my point was that I can't really play on a controller because I like the way it plays/feels on a keyboard much better in general, even without the analog movement. Plus I have hundreds of hours of experience using the keyboard and it would be hard as hell to adapt.

Overall it's not a big deal, I'm not mad at video games or something. Even with the less move speed control you get on the keyboard, I still think playing on a keyboard is better and more precise overall and I'm happy with it. I'm just surprised they didn't make a walk/run toggle or something similar to compensate for the lack of analog sticks. Usually you don't see a game giving one specific control method a clear gameplay ability advantage, so I was just a little surprised.

Whatever, like I said, not a huge deal. Honestly I don't even really think a walk/run keyboard toggle would even be helpful anyway. So the controller gets a little bonus ability and that's fine. I was just thinking out loud about it all.

This game owns so loving hard. GOTY for me already, easily. I could play this game forever and probably will. Mad kudos to Edmund and team. I feel like this game was made specifically for me.

I had hundreds of hours on keyboard as well. Took 1 playthrough to get used to the controller.

Also, wtf is happening in this game. I don't even know anymore.

Infinite Flies 1 shotting every boss.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Has anyone figured out the differences with hard mode yet? I played through once and it seemed like champion enemies were more common but it didn't seem that much harder. I was worried it was gonna be like double damage or double enemy health or something dumb like that but it seems not to be the case.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Oh man, they basically fixed IPECAC so it isn't a suicide machine anymore. It's so drat good now :stare:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Rebirth Game-breaking glitches and fixes summary post

Table of contents of this post:
  • Update 3: Rebirth Saturday Nov 8th beta patch - A FIX
  • Update 2: Rebirth Friday Nov 7th patch
  • Update 1: Patch announced
  • Rebirth original release (Tuesday)

====

Update 3: Rebirth Saturday Nov 8th beta patch
The white-out problem is fixed in the beta update.

As it is a beta, it's possible that the next full update will delete your save file, use at own risk!

How to unlock the beta:

In Steam, right click on the game, and choose properties. Go to the 'betas' tab and enter the access code "whitetextures" (without the quote marks). It'll unlock the beta. Enable it in the same screen, close that screen, and wait a minute while the game gets updated.

====

Update 2: Rebirth Friday Nov 7th patch
A patch was released. This patch fixed a lot of the issues people were experiencing. However, it most certainly didn't fix the game for everyone. A whole lot of people still can't start it or have other issues. And some people that could previously play the game, can't start it anymore.

Let me start with a link to the official patch update post. Here you can read everything that's been changed.

Now, it seems that most, if not all, people who first couldn't boot the game at all, now suffer from the white-out issue. The backgrounds are white, and so are the maps and any item descriptions.

This is my very first ingame screenshot:

It's technically playable... but practically it's horrible.

Now, developer 'Simon' was asking in the Steam forums for log data, so he's looking into it. That's good. However, Tyrone is, once again, being a dick. In the post I just linked, he says it's an issue with cards that don't support OpenGL 3.0, because OpenGL 2.0 doesn't work in the same way.

Tyrone posted:

Thus, proper and comprehensive support of Open GL 2.0 hardware may not be entirely possible since 2.0 was the first version which supported render-to-texture.

From this I'm reading that this new problem may or may not get patched. What happened to the promise that the new game will run fine on any system that could run the original?

Nicalis, you FIND a way to fix it. I don't care how. Keep your promises, especially if you make us pay for them.

Small addition: The fact that some people with OpenGL 3 are getting the same problem, could indicate that it's partially a programming error, which would mean it's easier for them to fix. We'll see.

====

Update 1: Patch announced The developers posted this and this.
It contains a list of known issues and possible solutions, and they also say they'll release an update on Friday. Please check those links before reading the rest of this post.

====

Rebirth original release (Tuesday)

For those who took notice, lots and lots of people are suffering from bugs. I don't mean the ones where an item doesn't work as intended, I mean those that break the entire game. A bunch of people have been posting about it in this thread, they were completely ignored, because people were too busy having fun to notice those that were left in the dark.

As you can see in this screenshot, a lot of people have been talking about in the forums too. If I may guess, the game-breaking bugs are affecting hundreds to maybe a few thousands of users, or a few percent of the total. So be glad to realize you're not alone.

The Pinned 'Common fixes' thread was made by Adrian Gray, one of the developers from Nicalis, and incidentally the only one who reached out to the public about all the bugs. I'm glad he did so, because people suffering from the bugs seem to feel completely ignored by the devs. Those feelings are understandable when one of them makes tweets like this one.

No, Tyrone, we aren't glad. We're angry that you released a game that doesn't work at all for a significant part of your userbase.

The 'common fixes' thread was a bit weird too. The dev asked the community to come up with fixes. What's up with that?
Anyway, Adrian recently said he's doing what he can, but he can't access everything and needs the other devs there. He also said, they are working on a patch. No date/time indication yet, but at least work is being done.

So, please try to stay patient.

List of fixes:
Note: Options.ini is in C:\Users\<yourusername>\My Documents\My Games\Binding of Isaac Rebirth, EVEN if you got your normal Documents folder mapped to another location.
Note 2: That same folder contains dump files for crashed games. If the text files say the following:
code:
timeBeginPeriod( 1 )
Framebuffer ID: 1
Caught exception, writing minidump...
...you're most probably hosed and have to wait for the patch. If it says anything else, you might be able to figure out what's the problem in your case.

If your game doesn't boot at all, Steam acts like you're in the game for 5 seconds, then nothing happens
  • This can sometimes be caused by your virus scanner. Make sure to whitelist the .exe and reinstall the game.
  • Another common cause is a problem with either audio or video drivers. Try removing a second monitor, or plugging in headphones and see if that fixes it.
  • Some drivers don't recognize Isaac as a game. For instance, if you use NVIDIA, you may need to change something in the NVIDIA control panel that forces it to use the NVIDIA GPU at all times. Or manually add the isaac-ng.exe to high power mode on AMD cards.
  • Try setting all your audio and video settings to 'normal'. For instance, having your speakers turned off in Windows may crash the game in some cases.
  • Some people managed to fix the problem by updating their drivers, usually by going to their graphic card's manufacturer website (you can find out about your graphic card in Windows by going to Device Manager and checking what's under 'Screen Adapters') and downloading an automatic driver detection and updating tool. However, this does not always seem to work with embedded cards in laptops and the like.
  • For the latter group, there's as of yet no fix. You'll have to wait until the patch, just like me.

If you get a message "isaac-ng has stopped working".
  • Try deleting Options.ini and restart
  • Try reinstalling the game
If you get a black screen after the intro
  • Open Options.ini and change MaxRenderScale=0 to 2
If you got keyboard/controller errors
  • Open Options.ini and change ControllerHotplug=1 to 0 (or try changing it to 2 for co-op play)
  • Or try disconnecting and reconnecting your keyboard/controller.
If the game runs slow
  • Try switching between windowed/full screen mode.
  • Open Options.ini and change VSYNC=1 to 0
  • Open Options.ini and change MaxRenderScale to 1
If big rooms make you motion sick
  • Open Options.ini and change CameraStyle=1 to 2

These fixes are mostly from the 'common fixes' thread in steam. Do you have any other way to fix problems? Send me a PM, as I won't be able to read every post in this thread. I will update THIS post, so if you're experiencing issues, you might want to store a permalink to this post.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 8, 2014

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Flat worm + Bob's rotten head is kind of hilarious, just from the way the sprite flattens out as it flies.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

13/f/cali posted:

Has anyone figured out the differences with hard mode yet? I played through once and it seemed like champion enemies were more common but it didn't seem that much harder. I was worried it was gonna be like double damage or double enemy health or something dumb like that but it seems not to be the case.

quote:

a large new feature we added to Rebirth is “Hard Mode”. now i actually dont want to go into great detail on what makes it harder.. because i dont want to spoil too much and we are still technically balancing this aspect of the game. but i can say that some of the more glaring aspects are gaining no hearts from bosses and curses being extremely prominent.. you’d be surprised at how much just these aspects can effect difficulty drastically.. but trust me when i say there are a lot more aspects to hard mode that should make even the most seasoned lets player stain their panties.

That was from the blog. Not sure how much is true or what else it entails.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So what does rainbow poop do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's probably best to just not worry about the specifics of hard mode. It's a subtle change but the game is definitely noticeably harder with it toggled on and that's what I like about it.

Yodzilla posted:

So what does rainbow poop do?

As far as I can tell, all it does is give you a full heal when you pop it.