Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

With or without power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Grifter posted:

If nothing was restricted and the only banned cards were ante/conspiracy/other weirdness cards, what would the top Legacy decks be? I'm thinking some sort of blue/black tendrils deal.

Delver :v:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Comedy option: Flash combo for those delicious turn 0 wins.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Grifter posted:

If nothing was restricted and the only banned cards were ante/conspiracy/other weirdness cards, what would the top Legacy decks be? I'm thinking some sort of blue/black tendrils deal.

Vintage has an archetype that's basically "My cards are better than yours", with a copy of tons of restricted ways to draw cards and add mana, with the win condition sometimes being Tinker or Time Vault or Tendrils of Agony. It would likely be something like that with lots of permission, or potentially something even weirder. There would be a lot of blue and black cards because so many of those are restricted, but colour of mana becomes less relevant when you can play 4 Black Lotus, 20 Mox, 4 Sol Ring, 4 Mana Crypt, 4 Mana Vault, and your only actual lands are probably 2 Tolarian Academy.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Snacksmaniac posted:

With or without power?
With, I should have said Vintage rather than Legacy.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Grifter posted:

Your talking bout a format with 4 lotus, 4 of each mox 4 brainstorm 4 recall 4 time walk? Yeah probably UB storm.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Grifter posted:

With, I should have said Vintage rather than Legacy.

Every deck would have 4 Sol Ring, 4 Mox, 4 Lotus, 4 Lotus petal, 4 Demonic Tutor, 4 Time Walk, etc. + Tendrils. Whoever went first would win. You can't even Force of Will Tendrils, you can only Flusterstorm or Stifle the Storm trigger, and if you have no mana, you're hosed.

The deck would probably be like

4 Timetwister
4 Demonic Tutor
4 Vampiric Tutor
4 Time Walk
4 Ancestrall Recall
4 Brainstorm
1 Tendrils of Agony

4 Mox Ruby
4 Mox Emerald
4 Mox Sapphire
4 Mox Pearl
4 Mox Jet
4 Black Lotus

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 5, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Angry Grimace posted:

Whoever went first would win.

Next meta: add Leyline of Anticipation, go off during your opponent's first upkeep.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

gently caress it, anyone want to brew for this format and maybe play on Cockatrice? Here's my list:

4 Black Lotus
4 Mox Sapphire
4 Mox Jet
4 Mana Crypt
4 Time Vault
4 Voltaic Key
4 Demonic Tutor
4 Dark Ritual
4 Vampiric Tutor
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Force of Will
4 Mindbreak Trap
4 Tinker
4 Leyline of Anticipation
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Blightsteel Colossus
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Tendrils of Agony

Sideboard
4 Pithing Needle
4 Flusterstorm
4 Leyline of the Void
3 Hurkyl's Recall

I don't know if players even want Timetwister, because giving the opponent more chances to draw Force of Will is bad.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
If storm were that degenerate, surely people would start maindecking mindbreak trap? It solves the problem of auto-losing on the draw.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Angry Grimace posted:

Every deck would have 4 Sol Ring, 4 Mox, 4 Lotus, 4 Lotus petal, 4 Demonic Tutor, 4 Time Walk, etc. + Tendrils. Whoever went first would win. You can't even Force of Will Tendrils, you can only Flusterstorm or Stifle the Storm trigger, and if you have no mana, you're hosed.

4 Timetwister
4 Demonic Tutor
4 Vampiric Tutor
4 Time Walk
4 Ancestrall Recall
4 Brainstorm
1 Tendrils of Agony

4 Mox Ruby
4 Mox Emerald
4 Mox Sapphire
4 Mox Pearl
4 Mox Jet
4 Black Lotus

I'd love to see some sort of inbred combo-counter package with ESG/SSG and Manamorphose to get a blue mana before your first turn.

4 ESG
4 SSG
4 Gemstone Caverns
4 Manamorphose
4 Serum Powder
4 Street Wraith
4 Stifle
4 Mindbreak Trap

Then like.. Flash-Hulk & maybe some Anti-Tendrils stuff?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

4 Timetwister
4 Demonic Tutor
4 Vampiric Tutor
4 Time Walk
4 Ancestrall Recall
4 Brainstorm
1 Tendrils of Agony

4 Mox Ruby
4 Mox Emerald
4 Mox Sapphire
4 Mox Pearl
4 Mox Jet
4 Black Lotus

Edit: ^^^^lol

4 Mindbreak Trap
4 Force of Will
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
4 Stifle
4 Commandeer
4 Gemstone Cavern
4 Ancestral Recall
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Black Lotus
15 non-white Moxen
1 Forced Fruition

Can't possibly lose.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

If storm were that degenerate, surely people would start maindecking mindbreak trap? It solves the problem of auto-losing on the draw.

Tendrils of Agony is not as degenerate as Time Vault, which would be the real bane of such a format. But there's a possibility of Null Rod decks existing, which would actually keep the metagame from being too incestuous.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
4 Leyline of Sanctity
4 Serum Powder
4 Flash
4 Gemstone Cavern
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Protean Hulk
4 Mental Misstep
4 Force of Will
4 Pact of Negation

1 Bile Urchin
1 Body Double
1 Karmic Guide
1 Viscera Seer
1 Reveillark
1 Ronom Unicorn
1 Phantasmal Image

4 Chancellor of the Annex

+9 more cards

Going all in on winning on the opponent's upkeep here. Leyline of Sanctity wins against tendrils but there's not a really satisfactory answer to vault+key aside from hoping you get more missteps.

Actually Loyal Retainers doesn't work :argh: Phantasmal Image works just fine though, as something to fetch with ronom unicorn to get rid of leylines.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 5, 2014

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Chamale posted:

I don't know if players even want Timetwister, because giving the opponent more chances to draw Force of Will is bad.
With enough redundancy is force even good? As mentioned, they can't hit your tendrils. The force your lotus and you just drop a few MOX instead. They would have to force the exact right spell, which I think would be mostly up to chance.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Chamale posted:

gently caress it, anyone want to brew for this format and maybe play on Cockatrice? Here's my list:

4 Black Lotus
4 Mox Sapphire
4 Mox Jet
4 Mana Crypt
4 Time Vault
4 Voltaic Key
4 Demonic Tutor
4 Dark Ritual
4 Vampiric Tutor
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Force of Will
4 Mindbreak Trap
4 Tinker
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Blightsteel Colossus
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Tendrils of Agony

Sideboard
4 Pithing Needle
4 Flusterstorm
4 Leyline of the Void
3 Hurkyl's Recall

It makes no difference. Force of Will adds to Storm Count; you literally win by having Tendrils in your hand.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Wadjamaloo posted:

With enough redundancy is force even good? As mentioned, they can't hit your tendrils. The force your lotus and you just drop a few MOX instead. They would have to force the exact right spell, which I think would be mostly up to chance.

Or Gitaxian Probe.

This format is so bizarre that it's fun to think about. Is a huge pile of Moxen even good when someone might try to shut you down with Null Rod? Do you have enough card draw to always find your 1 copy of Death Wish and get whatever you need from the sideboard?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chamale posted:

Or Gitaxian Probe.

This format is so bizarre that it's fun to think about. Is a huge pile of Moxen even good when someone might try to shut you down with Null Rod? Do you have enough card draw to always find your 1 copy of Death Wish and get whatever you need from the sideboard?

You would lose by being on the draw in the first place unless the whole format warped around Leylines (which it basically would since you would lose almost instantly if you didn't have one out.)

Vintage chat: I had a Blightsteel Colossus out and Oath active and my opponent top-decked the final piece he needed to sac his Forgemaster for a Duplicant. :negative:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 5, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Chamale posted:

Or Gitaxian Probe.

All Moxen mana base? Chalice of the Void. :getin:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Grifter posted:

The best deck would be one that uses a trick coin to win the flip and go first.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

The best deck would be one that uses a trick coin to win the flip and go first.

There's enough turn 0 effects and ways to win that this isn't necessarily true - Flash, Leylines, Chancellor of the Annex, etc.

Pretty sure every deck needs 4x Serum Powder though.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 5, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
A local store just held a 'no ban list' modern event. Unfortunately they rescheduled it without announcing so basically nobody ended up going and I don't even know which deck won.

I have to assume storm with all the good cantrips and misstep.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
basically a counter war on turn 1 every game. Every deck is blue.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

A local store just held a 'no ban list' modern event. Unfortunately they rescheduled it without announcing so basically nobody ended up going and I don't even know which deck won.

No-ban Affinity is pretty dumb.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

No-ban Affinity is pretty dumb awesome.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some disgusting degenerate combo deck that could T2 every game. So it would probably be storm as others have said above.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Hyper genesis would be my pick.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I don't have a banlist handy, what pieces would banless Affinity get back? Just artifact lands and Skullclamp? Which is still a lot, mind you.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Snacksmaniac posted:

Hyper genesis would be my pick.

Easily. Hypergenesis is stupid dumb.

http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/the-modern-banned-series-hypergenesis/

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I was speculating about new un-set cards with some friends the other night, and my new favorite idea is for Counter Spell which would cost U and put a +1/+1 counter on a target creature.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

theironjef posted:

I was speculating about new un-set cards with some friends the other night, and my new favorite idea is for Counter Spell which would cost U and put a +1/+1 counter on a target creature.

I liked the Reminder Sliver that Del Laugel (I think it was?) came up with: "Sliver creatures you control have reminder text. (Reminder text looks like this.)".

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

theironjef posted:

Ambiguity has made that joke, in a way.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

theironjef posted:

Counters Spells
U
Counter Target Spell
Sorcery

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

With this crazy format, I'm giggling like a madman thinking about how a storm vs. storm matchup would go if both players started with Leyline of Anticipation in play. Neither player would want to cast their Tendrils first.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Counters Spells
U
Counter Target Spell
Sorcery

Mystic Denial :v:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Lobsterpillar posted:

Ambiguity has made that joke, in a way.

drat, well then on to my new green creature, Target Creature, who is a little ambulatory archery target that tends to gain a lot of abilities.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Since we're talking about Un-Set, after a discussion with my friends today, I asked MaRo about Un-Set Jaya Ballard. He either didn't get, or deliberately skirted, my question, but the idea was: Have an Un-set Jaya Ballard who cares about you casting spells with Jaya Ballard Flavour text.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yo, so I want to buy the Commander stuff coming out. Any recommendations for what online website I should go purchase them from?

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I remember playing a format way back in the day, probably around Mirrodin, that was 15 card decks, Vintage ban list, max one copy of each card, you don't lose for failing to draw a card and the game is a draw if both players run out of cards and the board state is a stalemate.

It created some fun metagame situations as people played more and more games, but I think so much stuff has been printed since then that the format would be completely unplayable now. Hell, I don't even think vault/key worked at the time, let alone turn 0 kills being possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

Yo, so I want to buy the Commander stuff coming out. Any recommendations for what online website I should go purchase them from?

Scrounge around in a Walmart or a Target first.

You can actually get acceptable prices for precons there.

I'm probably gonna be That Guy and grab up all the Red Precons for myself when I go in on Friday to put them out in the first place. :haw:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 6, 2014

• Locked thread