Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

euphronius posted:

Have any of you dudes talking about guitars made good music,

I recently discovered I'm a terrible blues dad if that counts. So... no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

shiksa posted:

i would actually be down with hair metal making a retro comeback but i think we're actually at the point of the mid-90s being the retro revival zone

It. Totally. Did. (NSFW for giant ballsack in the sky)

I don't think it'll ever again hit mainstream levels like it did in the eighties, sadly. :(

e: I;m not sure Steel Panther counts since they're essentially the hair metal version of Spinal Tap.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 5, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

These aren't jazz III picks, I am declaring fatwa for the destruction of Dr. Faustus.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

How do you good people feel about 7 and 8 string guitars? I've been looking for a decent 7 string to add to my hated collection, but might end up getting this monstrosity because its so cheap at a place nearby:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page14.php?year=2014&area_id=2&cat_id=1&series_id=3&data_id=78&color=CL01

e: I would probably string it so that the lowest string was an A#, not an F#

Animal Friend fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 5, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I don't like the longer scales (hard to do five fret stretches in the lower register on a 27") and extra string so i just downtune a 6string instead of learning new patterns, also they sound weird and muddy to me now because I'm used to being that low on a 24.75"

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
The PROest of clicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O327r1x7DXI

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Carnaticum posted:

How do you good people feel about 7 and 8 string guitars? I've been looking for a decent 7 string to add to my hated collection, but might end up getting this monstrosity because its so cheap at a place nearby:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page14.php?year=2014&area_id=2&cat_id=1&series_id=3&data_id=78&color=CL01

e: I would probably string it so that the lowest string was an A#, not an F#

27" is a little on the short side for f# imho but on the other hand it can be a bit of a bitch to play normal stuff like chords on longer scales

it really depends on what stuff you play. if it's doom/sludge/whatever then a shorter scale tuning that low is fine because it's meant to be muddy, but if you're more into meshuggah type chuggy stuff then a longer scale is better

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Carnaticum posted:

How do you good people feel about 7 and 8 string guitars?

Anything more than 6 strings is a waste of money and effort.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

I've got an ibanez AX7521 (low end MIJ model) which just has a regular scale length, and it's really nice aside from some minor neck dive issues. I tune beadf#be (a b-tuned guitar plus a high e) so I use the seventh string enough to justify it.

The big pain in the rear end about 7 strings is parts - for example guitarfetish don't do 7 string pickups, replacement saddles, tuner knobs (see neck dive issues) etc don't come in 7 packs, etc etc etc. Ended up splitting the neck pickup on mine so it has something useful there.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
with a regular 25.5" scale tuning down to about g is fine so long as you get thicker strings (or don't) to keep the tension reasonable

below that you need to start eq-ing weird which kinda defeats the purpose of tuning that low in the first place

also artec (guitarfetish's supplier) makes a 7-string pickup

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I don't understand why anyone would tune lower than A anyway. If you do, you start thinking into threshold of heating issues with the bass, or at best, it becomes indistinguishable from the kick drum. I know that Animals as Leaders and a bunch of those guys don't use a bass guitar, but I miss that part of the sonic texture when it's not there.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Sleepflower posted:

I've got an ibanez AX7521 (low end MIJ model) which just has a regular scale length, and it's really nice aside from some minor neck dive issues. I tune beadf#be (a b-tuned guitar plus a high e) so I use the seventh string enough to justify it.

The big pain in the rear end about 7 strings is parts - for example guitarfetish don't do 7 string pickups, replacement saddles, tuner knobs (see neck dive issues) etc don't come in 7 packs, etc etc etc. Ended up splitting the neck pickup on mine so it has something useful there.

What are the stock pickups like? I hear that stock pickups for the cheaper 7-strings are universally terrible.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Saw this in a junk shop, it's filthy, no idea what the state of the insides would be, and have no idea what it is (maybe a Kay or Teisco?) and am now wondering if I should have got it. There was no price but this is the kind of place that sells bad taxidermy for a tenner so probably not a lot.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

NonzeroCircle posted:

Saw this in a junk shop, it's filthy, no idea what the state of the insides would be, and have no idea what it is (maybe a Kay or Teisco?) and am now wondering if I should have got it. There was no price but this is the kind of place that sells bad taxidermy for a tenner so probably not a lot.

It's definitely a Teisco. It was probably sold as a 'Top-Twenty' which used to sell in Woolies' back in the day. If it's under £50, buy it, clean it up and you'll be able to double your money on ebay.

E: If you wanted to be super devious, you could probably dismantle it and sell the parts as you'd probably get more money.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 5, 2014

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Perry Como in Nashville :wth:

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Carnaticum posted:

How do you good people feel about 7 and 8 string guitars?

Pretentious, costly horseshit for lovely players to make regrettably unlistenable "music" on. If you want one now, wait a year and get one off craigslist from some dumb kid/wankdad in your area when the fashion changes and wank wizards inevitably move on to some other shiny toy in the guitar gear arms race for TONE.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i didn't realize it was so easy to be a huge goon about this subject

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

gently caress Your Website posted:

Pretentious, costly horseshit for lovely players to make regrettably unlistenable "music" on. If you want one now, wait a year and get one off craigslist from some dumb kid/wankdad in your area when the fashion changes and wank wizards inevitably move on to some other shiny toy in the guitar gear arms race for TONE.

this isn't the right opinion, don't judge what's made on a guitar, just the guitar itself.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

i didn't realize it was so easy to be a huge goon about this subject

my autistic opinions are better than that guys autistic opinions

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Spanish Manlove posted:

my autistic opinions are better than that guys autistic opinions

goons&musicians.txt

Also, I want a Bass VI but have no use and can't afford one. :(

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Octatonic posted:

I don't understand why anyone would tune lower than A anyway. If you do, you start thinking into threshold of heating issues with the bass, or at best, it becomes indistinguishable from the kick drum. I know that Animals as Leaders and a bunch of those guys don't use a bass guitar, but I miss that part of the sonic texture when it's not there.

Not a word of that is factually true, lmao.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Spanish Manlove posted:

this isn't the right opinion, don't judge what's made on a guitar, just the guitar itself.

Sometimes it's the singer and the song, and both are lovely.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

White Dog Eggs posted:

What are the stock pickups like? I hear that stock pickups for the cheaper 7-strings are universally terrible.

They're pretty stock standard, sort high-gain-aimed humbuckers to be honest, nothing special at all, but not unpleasant. I don't like neck humbuckers and its neck humbucker is pretty much the epitome of why I don't like them, but it sounds nice now that I've added a coil split. The bridge isn't muddy and doesn't have anyting offputting about it - harmonics could be a bit better but I judge bridge humbuckers by my nailbomb so I am probably being unfair.
Basically, yhey're nothing inspiring, but they're not bad. Better than the muddy as gently caress epiphone alnico pickups that came with my lp studio.

Also, could I get your advice on something? It's tangentially related because it's my Gibson Eye which is both ugly and not very good due to open strings hitting the frets in winter.

The nut is much lower than my others, so I figure it would be worth taking a shot at shimming it with a sliver of wood I have lying around and if that works I'll eventually replace the nut itself, in the hopes that the fretwire issue mostly disappears once that's done. What I'm worried about is damaging the finish when I remove the nut, because there's some overlap etc.

On both sides it looks like there's clear finish from the sides of the fretboard and maybe headstock overlapping the nut, and at the top of the nut it curves up to meet the headstock which is really odd, and at the ends there's small amounts of overlap where it's under the headstock material.

Pics of either side (excuse the dust and lack of truss rod cover, it's been sitting unused for months due to unplayability):

So yeah, is it possible to do this without damaging the finish, and if so do you have any tips?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Use a razor or hobby knife to cut around the nut, through the finish, so that it isn't attached to the finish anymore.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

muike posted:

Use a razor or hobby knife to cut around the nut, through the finish, so that it isn't attached to the finish anymore.

Oh, right, duh. I'm still kind of worried about the spots where there's a bit of overlap though.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

shiksa posted:

the bass i got from rondo came with a super goopy glossy finish and i just sanded the hell out of it and it feels awesome now. take that as you will.
Can you still sand a neck without making it look ugly if it's stained or whatever? Picture because I know gently caress-all about guitar finishes and poo poo. My Agile baritone's finish feels kinda "sticky" but I didn't want to irreparably ruin it or make it look even uglier.

hitchensgoespop posted:

The PROest of clicks
I didn't know the Kiss Shreds guy posted regular videos.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Xenocidebot posted:

Can you still sand a neck without making it look ugly if it's stained or whatever? Picture because I know gently caress-all about guitar finishes and poo poo. My Agile baritone's finish feels kinda "sticky" but I didn't want to irreparably ruin it or make it look even uglier.

the neck where i sanded it looks a little lighter than the headstock and is more satin-y, but i got a cheap bass to play it not for it to look nice, to be honest. it feels ten times better to play though, i highly reccommend it if you dont mind the back of the neck looking a little "off"

i should mention, the neck i have isnt stained like that, but it still has a orange-y "aged" stain on it that didnt come off or whatever. i think you gotta get deep in the wood to start taking that off.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sleepflower posted:

They're pretty stock standard, sort high-gain-aimed humbuckers to be honest, nothing special at all, but not unpleasant. I don't like neck humbuckers and its neck humbucker is pretty much the epitome of why I don't like them, but it sounds nice now that I've added a coil split. The bridge isn't muddy and doesn't have anyting offputting about it - harmonics could be a bit better but I judge bridge humbuckers by my nailbomb so I am probably being unfair.
Basically, yhey're nothing inspiring, but they're not bad. Better than the muddy as gently caress epiphone alnico pickups that came with my lp studio.

Also, could I get your advice on something? It's tangentially related because it's my Gibson Eye which is both ugly and not very good due to open strings hitting the frets in winter.

The nut is much lower than my others, so I figure it would be worth taking a shot at shimming it with a sliver of wood I have lying around and if that works I'll eventually replace the nut itself, in the hopes that the fretwire issue mostly disappears once that's done. What I'm worried about is damaging the finish when I remove the nut, because there's some overlap etc.

On both sides it looks like there's clear finish from the sides of the fretboard and maybe headstock overlapping the nut, and at the top of the nut it curves up to meet the headstock which is really odd, and at the ends there's small amounts of overlap where it's under the headstock material.

Pics of either side (excuse the dust and lack of truss rod cover, it's been sitting unused for months due to unplayability):

So yeah, is it possible to do this without damaging the finish, and if so do you have any tips?

You could do what muike says, but a less-drastic option might be to put small folded/rolled bits of tissue paper in the nut slot to raise the string height slightly. If that helps without making the action too high for you, put a light sprinkling of baking soda in the nut-slot, then add a tiny bit of superglue. It'll dry almost instantly (if it's too high and you don't have a suitable file, use a bit of old string of the same gauge in a sawing motion (it's crude, but it does work).

Basically this,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJRTVsE85IA

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Xenocidebot posted:

It depends on the stain, if it's stained on top of grain filler then it'll sand off easily enough, if it's been put on bare wood then you are going to be sanding for a long, long time. You could try removing the stain with water or solvent (if one doesn't work, the other will), but that can just leave you with a goopy mess.

You may not need to go through the finish though, get some high-grit paper (no less than 600) and rub it on the back of the headstock a little (or where-ever you won't notice), see if that helps.

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

Sleepflower posted:

The first time I saw his dumb wizard thing was at the boring dream theater gig I think I mentioned earlier in the thread, and I had to stifle a laugh because I was there with someone who really, really likes them.
I get wanting a letter for a stage show that doesn't look dorky, however that first one looks like a giant wooden moustache. The keys being piano colored does not help, either. If you're doing something that ostentatious, why stick normal black and white keys in there? Lady Gaga apparently knows her white from black keys, and I imagine Guy From Dream Theater does as well.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
What's this new standard tuning about? I have been playing on and off for the last 20 years and the first time ive heard about it was from this thread a few weeks ago. Is there something wrong with A440?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it doesn't have anything to do with a440, it's just a tuning with a larger range. whoever called it new standard when it was created was a dingleberry

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Searching eBay for "handmade guitar" is a treasure trove.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Elec...=item19f633d18f
special feature: LEDs in the skulls' eyes, which apparently takes 3 9v batteries.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

Also, I want a Bass VI but have no use and can't afford one. :(

Also, don't order one. Find one in a shop and decide on it.

The two that arrived at my local shop were damaged, so he tossed me $50 back to take the less damaged one if I wanted (had a finish crack on the neck pocket).

Both shipping boxes were pristine and unopened when I got there, so QC took a dump that week clearly.

And "no use for one" pretty much described my year of ownership with it. I'm sure lots of people could find their place for it (guy who bought it from me is putting on light gauge strings to make a B to B baritone with it).

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
My quest for the most melee-weapon guitars led me to Spalt Instruments, which I'm now convinced is an Echidna-like Mother of All Ugly Guitars.

Bonus fun: the website for this Linear Tremolo doohick they use.

Fumble posted:

What's this new standard tuning about? I have been playing on and off for the last 20 years and the first time ive heard about it was from this thread a few weeks ago. Is there something wrong with A440?
The guy who popularized it is into some dipshit neopagan yogic flying crap if that helps put it into perspective

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Actuary X posted:

Searching eBay for "handmade guitar" is a treasure trove.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Elec...=item19f633d18f
special feature: LEDs in the skulls' eyes, which apparently takes 3 9v batteries.

The dripping blood would be parallel with the floor when you play it. Immersion RUINED!

(or maybe it's only made to hang on a wall and look metal, idk)

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Xenocidebot posted:

My quest for the most melee-weapon guitars led me to Spalt Instruments, which I'm now convinced is an Echidna-like Mother of All Ugly Guitars.

Bonus fun: the website for this Linear Tremolo doohick they use.

The guy who popularized it is into some dipshit neopagan yogic flying crap if that helps put it into perspective

holy poo poo

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

W424 posted:

My hometown seems to be travelling backwards in time, all the kids play retro metal/punk/rock.
I started in mid nineties and we were laughing at the "old dudes" in denim vests playing 80's metal back then. Now it's all about the denim vests with patches from bands their dad's might have listened.

I visited some family and high-school-era friends last summer, and I found out that the part of the world I did most of my growing up in unironically thought that numetal was an important musical trend and a foundation to be built on. I mean, yes, that's where Breaking Benjamin came from, but like all the local bands I had recordings of played to me and the newer bands they listened to (aside from the one my brother joined, which was described as "weird", probably because it's got a keyboard in it) were in that whole BB/Chevelle/Staind/Shinedown/Disturbed/Godsmack vein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

I visited some family and high-school-era friends last summer, and I found out that the part of the world I did most of my growing up in unironically thought that numetal was an important musical trend and a foundation to be built on. I mean, yes, that's where Breaking Benjamin came from, but like all the local bands I had recordings of played to me and the newer bands they listened to (aside from the one my brother joined, which was described as "weird", probably because it's got a keyboard in it) were in that whole BB/Chevelle/Staind/Shinedown/Disturbed/Godsmack vein.

Yeah the Midwest sucks.

• Locked thread