Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

icantfindaname posted:

hey i wonder how this thread is goi-

*sees three pages of people literally saying life under Stalin was pretty good*

Let nobody say this thread isn't funny, at the very least

I cannot fathom how saying that is acceptable. Unironically thinking that Hitler was an ok sort of fellow is bannable, right? Well, I hope it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Friendly Tumour posted:

Yeah, but I don't think those things are the exclusive domain of Marxism.

What is something you do think is the exclusive domain of Marxism?

The conversation is pretty moot at this point since you've accepted that Marxism has had huge and lasting influence on other political theories, but I'm kinda curious as to this answer.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

icantfindaname posted:

hey i wonder how this thread is goi-

*sees three pages of people literally saying life under Stalin was pretty good*

Let nobody say this thread isn't funny, at the very least

Let me guess your going to run away if an actual discussion comes up?

Friendly Tumour posted:

Yeah, but I don't think those things are the exclusive domain of Marxism... As for it's popularity, it's no secret that Europeans are in general pretty ticked off at our political class. Doesn't mean that Marxism is making a comeback though, just that we (or the Spanish in this case) will vote for anyone who presents a viable alternative to establishment politics.

That is moving the goal-posts around isn't it? Your point is was it was nearly completely irreverent, when the viable alternatives will still be informed with Marxist thought to a significant degree (as the founders were professors/intellectuals pretty steeped in Marx even if Podemos isn't a classic Marxist party).

If you want to get down to will X party in the future have a Hammer and Sickle on it...probably not, but I really doubt Marx's writings aren't playing a big role in there somewhere.

quote:

I cannot fathom how saying that is acceptable. Unironically thinking that Hitler was an ok sort of fellow is bannable, right? Well, I hope it is.

You can love Hitler all you want, it isn't bannable at all.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Typical Pubbie posted:

All of these things are theoretically possible in a capitalist state, though?

Applying capitalism to them doesn't get these things. See: reality.

Typical Pubbie posted:

And while I admit that I had not heard of duchas before this thread, they sound like a desperate sales pitch to me. "Join The Communist Club, and this beautiful single-bedroom timeshare in Pine Bluff, Arkansas can be yours!"

So you readily admit you've never heard of them before, why should your first conception of them hold any weight? Like, it's literally entirely wrong: Neither single bedroom, timeshare, in any place more specific than "the ussr", a communist concept, or even spelled like that.

Dachas are multi-room cottages with 2,500sq feet gardens, one per family, though you might share them with trusted neighbors if you want. They popped up literally everywhere outside the cities and the soviet government's official policy became "sure, whatever". Bit odd for such a totalitarian evil dictatorship to not care about planning permission, don't you think?

Literally the only thing to inform your assumption is the freezing-and-drinking, racist cold war stereotypes where everyone is unhappy and eating gruel and it's snowing. You don't know poo poo about Russia at all.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 5, 2014

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
The Marxist critique of capitalism has, I think, the following features:

1. Capitalism is inherently unstable, due to the tendency of the rate of profit to fall.
2. In capitalism the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, which is morally wrong and also works to destabilize Capitalism.
3. The owners of capital don't do valuable work, they only enrich themselves by appropriating the value created by their employes.

Recognizing that this is an incomplete and possibly inaccurate summary, mainstream economics rejects points 1 and 3 outright, and argues about 2 quite a lot. Piketty's book "capital in the 21st century" was an attempt to prove #2 with actual historical data.

Piketty had this exchange when interviewed about his book.

IC: Can you talk a little bit about the effect of Marx on your thinking and how you came to start reading him?

TP: Marx?

IC: Yeah.

TP: I never managed really to read it. I mean I don’t know if you’ve tried to read it. Have you tried?

IC: Some of his essays, but not the economics work.

TP: The Communist Manifesto of 1848 is a short and strong piece. Das Kapital, I think, is very difficult to read and for me it was not very influential.

IC: Because your book, obviously with the title, it seemed like you were tipping your hat to him in some ways.

TP: No not at all, not at all! The big difference is that my book is a book about the history of capital. In the books of Marx there’s no data.

This is among the more charitable views of Marx that exist in mainstream Econ.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ardennes posted:

That is moving the goal-posts around isn't it? Your point is was it was nearly completely irreverent, when the viable alternatives will still be informed with Marxist thought to a significant degree (as the founders were professors/intellectuals pretty steeped in Marx even if Podemos isn't a classic Marxist party).

If you want to get down to will X party in the future have a Hammer and Sickle on it...probably not, but I really doubt Marx's writings aren't playing a big role in there somewhere.

Well I'm not terribly interested scoring goals, so uh... If you think that having a few members of the intellectual class to have read and be influenced by the writings of Marx to be an ideologically strong position for Marxism to be in, then good for you. I just don't think it's going to set the world on fire, literally or metaphorically.

I don't think it's fair to say that Podemos or it's ideological fellows in the rest of the Western world being influenced by Marx's writings makes them Marxist. It all seems to be going the way of the enlightenment, an echo of the past, inspiring the future. Nothing wrong with that mind you, but it does mean that the time of Marxism is in the past, and that the ideas that are going to shape the history of this century are not going to come from the Communist Manifesto.

Ardennes posted:

You can love Hitler all you want, it isn't bannable at all.

Well this a good and useful thing to know.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

JeffersonClay posted:

1. Capitalism is inherently unstable, due to the tendency of the rate of profit to fall.
2. In capitalism the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, which is morally wrong and also works to destabilize Capitalism.
3. The owners of capital don't do valuable work, they only enrich themselves by appropriating the value created by their employes.

Recognizing that this is an incomplete and possibly inaccurate summary, mainstream economics rejects points 1 and 3 outright, and argues about 2 quite a lot. Piketty's book "capital in the 21st century" was an attempt to prove #2 with actual historical data.

IC: Can you talk a little bit about the effect of Marx on your thinking and how you came to start reading him?

TP: I never managed really to read it. I mean I don’t know if you’ve tried to read it. Have you tried?

TP: The Communist Manifesto of 1848 is a short and strong piece. Das Kapital, I think, is very difficult to read and for me it was not very influential.

IC: Because your book, obviously with the title, it seemed like you were tipping your hat to him in some ways.

TP: No not at all, not at all! The big difference is that my book is a book about the history of capital. In the books of Marx there’s no data.

The funny thing is for a guy who hasn't read almost any Marx, he spends some time talking about him it in his book. It almost makes you wonder if he is intentionally downplaying it quite a bit considering some of the criticism he was excepted to get. When he is having a conservation about Marx in the book without supposedly knowing anything about it, it is a bit silly.

Also, modern economists are kind of struggling to address some issues at the moment, one of the reasons Piketty wrote his book in the first place. He just has to play a little dance because he can't say the M word.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

JeffersonClay posted:

Are you arguing that Pikettys attempt to prove one of the three main Marxist critiques of capitalism, has not been influenced by Marx? (or are you arguing that he is argueing that?). You lost me at the three points either way.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

Friendly Tumour posted:

It would certainly be if this forum was run by Stalin!

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

JeffersonClay posted:

This isn't true, or it's phrased really weirdly. Capitalism is 'unstable' to Marx because he thinks that the proletariat will achieve mass consciousness and overthrow the bourgeoisie, just as the bourgeoisie overthrew feudalism.

quote:

Broadly yes, though he doesn't say it's morally wrong in the way that you're implying here. The problem isn't the poor getting poorer, it's laborers being reduced to the level of reproduction, having no more time, resources, or anything else except to reproduce their class.

quote:

This isn't true, no. A capitalist can also labor. Where did you get this idea from? Is it just from the very basic, and simple idea that it is possible for an owner of capital to not do work?

Friendly Tumour posted:

the time of Marxism is in the past, and that the ideas that are going to shape the history of this century are not going to come from the Communist Manifesto.

Nobody has any clue where the ideas that will shape the history of this century are going to come from, so this is a pretty bizarre statement. Can you explain what you mean?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Friendly Tumour posted:

Well I'm not terribly interested scoring goals, so uh... If you think that having a few members of the intellectual class to have read and be influenced by the writings of Marx to be an ideologically strong position for Marxism to be in, then good for you. I just don't think it's going to set the world on fire, literally or metaphorically.

I don't think it's fair to say that Podemos or it's ideological fellows in the rest of the Western world being influenced by Marx's writings makes them Marxist. It all seems to be going the way of the enlightenment, an echo of the past, inspiring the future. Nothing wrong with that mind you, but it does mean that the time of Marxism is in the past, and that the ideas that are going to shape the history of this century are not going to come from the Communist Manifesto.

You seem to be kind of contradicting yourself a lot, you really want to say Marxism is dead but can't help yourself saying it is still influential. If not the Communist Manifesto, then maybe Capital might be the better work.

Also, frankly to be honest, I don't really see much out there to explain what is going on in the same way. Liberalism has been left rather wanting in that sense. I mean what do you think the future is going to look like?

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 5, 2014

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ardennes posted:

You seem to be kind of contradicting yourself a lot, you really want to say Marxism is dead but can't help yourself saying it is still influential. If not the Communist Manifesto, then maybe Capital might be the better work.

I honestly don't want to say anything, just to understand things. No idea ever dies completely, but they do become irrelevant when new ideas come along and begin to inspire new generations. Of course, these new ideas will be inspired by the ideas of the old, but saying that makes them old ideas is disingenuous. I mean, Marx himself was inspired by both Hegel and the writers of the Enlightenment, wasn't he?

Ardennes posted:

Also, frankly to be honest, I don't really see much out there to explain what is going on in the same way. Liberalism has been left rather wanting in that sense. I mean what do you think the future is going to look like?

I think we live in a great ideological vacuum, and I for one am waiting for that new ideal that will inspire a new century of war with trepidation. Liberalism has certainly reached the end of its road. What's going to come? Who knows, but I suspect the Occupy movement will be seen as its beginning.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Friendly Tumour posted:

I think we live in a great ideological vacuum, and I for one am waiting for that new ideal that will inspire a new century of war with trepidation. Liberalism has certainly reached the end of its road. What's going to come? Who knows, but I suspect the Occupy movement will be seen as its beginning.

Bad news: you're already eating out of the trash can.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Friendly Tumour posted:

I think we live in a great ideological vacuum, and I for one am waiting for that new ideal that will inspire a new century of war with trepidation.

What the hell are you going on about?

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Friendly Tumour posted:

I don't think a bunch of ineffectual directionless people doing a whole bunch of nothing and developing no ideas beyond "down with this sort of thing" will do much of anything.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zizek is a funny guy I'll admit.

Obdicut posted:

What the hell are you going on about?

History is defined by war? I mean, considering the history of Marxism and all the people it inspired to take up arms in the name of a better world, surely that can't be an alien concept to you?

HorseLord posted:

I don't think a bunch of ineffectual directionless people doing a whole bunch of nothing and developing no ideas beyond "down with this sort of thing" will do much of anything.

Sure it won't, but it's a start.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Friendly Tumour posted:

I honestly don't want to say anything, just to understand things. No idea ever dies completely, but they do become irrelevant when new ideas come along and begin to inspire new generations. Of course, these new ideas will be inspired by the ideas of the old, but saying that makes them old ideas is disingenuous. I mean, Marx himself was inspired by both Hegel and the writers of the Enlightenment, wasn't he?

Yeah, but those new ideas will have to offer an explanation that makes Marx unnecessary and I haven't seen it yet, but I am not saying the future is certain either and to be honest the future of Marxist thought is still TBD.

For the vacuum to be filled you need an ideology that explains the future of free market capitalism within the context of period alongside the failure of other economic systems and the reasoning behind them.

Maybe, I can open up a .txt and figure it out.

quote:

don't think a bunch of ineffectual directionless people doing a whole bunch of nothing and developing no ideas beyond "down with this sort of thing" will do much of anything.

Turned out the end of history was just on a mobius strip.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, but those new ideas will have to offer an explanation that makes Marx unnecessary and I haven't seen it yet, but I am not saying the future is certain either and to be honest the future of Marxist thought is still TBD.

For the vacuum to be filled you need an ideology that explains the future of free market capitalism within the context of period alongside the failure of other economic systems and the reasoning behind them.

Maybe, I can open up a .txt and figure it out.

Well I guess, but I'm not sure it's all that necessary. Ultimately all you have to do is to inspire people to work together. I mean, is Naomi Klein a Marxist? She offers a pretty convincing argument about the future of the current liberal free-market capitalism.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Friendly Tumour posted:

Well I guess, but I'm not sure it's all that necessary. Ultimately all you have to do is to inspire people to work together. I mean, is Naomi Klein a Marxist? She offers a pretty convincing argument about the future of the current liberal free-market capitalism.

How do you inspire people to work together? Can you think of potential barriers that may arise? If so, why do they arise?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vermain posted:

How do you inspire people to work together?

Good question.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vermain posted:

Can you think of potential barriers that may arise? If so, why do they arise?

I'm going to have think about that a whole lot more than this to give you any kind of answer. Maybe I'll make a thread later.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
what is a political movement? a miserable pile of secrets!

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Friendly Tumour posted:

Zizek is a funny guy I'll admit.

History is defined by war?

You say the most random poo poo. No, history has a lot more to it than war, war does not define history. You might as well say history is defined by agriculture.

quote:

I mean, considering the history of Marxism and all the people it inspired to take up arms in the name of a better world, surely that can't be an alien concept to you?

It wasn't Marxism that inspired them to take up arms, but the actual horrible conditions they were in. This is why peasant revolts have always been a thing.

You kind of seem like you're just thinking out loud, and you wind up saying a lot of really incorrect or bizarre poo poo.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Obdicut posted:

You say the most random poo poo. No, history has a lot more to it than war, war does not define history. You might as well say history is defined by agriculture.

It wasn't Marxism that inspired them to take up arms, but the actual horrible conditions they were in. This is why peasant revolts have always been a thing.

You kind of seem like you're just thinking out loud, and you wind up saying a lot of really incorrect or bizarre poo poo.

It seems my posting isn't up to the high standards forum user Obdicut demands

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Friendly Tumour posted:

It seems my posting isn't up to the high standards forum user Obdicut demands

To be fair, it might actually be your thoughts, rather than your posting, that suck. You might be expressing yourself as well as you can.

Edit: For actual content, one of the cooler things that Marxism has done is penetrate other fields. Griselda Pollack is a really awesome Marxist art historian. Her stuff on Van Gough is especially nifty. I don't really like the theorists like Adorno and the rest of the Frankfurt school in their examination of art, I think they just fall into ridiculous snobbery with the idea of 'false consciousness', but Pollock uses Marxism really cleverly to take a fresh look at things like the mythos of insanity surrounding artists.

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 5, 2014

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Friendly Tumour posted:

Well typically the truth isn't bannable. I mean, if you're going to say it wasn't true that the USSR housed everyone for free and taught peasants to read, then you're a bigger crackpot than the winner of last year's tankie mustache growoff. Literally everything mentioned is historical fact, and merely pointing out historical fact doesn't make you a fan of anybody.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 5, 2014

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Ardennes posted:

The funny thing is for a guy who hasn't read almost any Marx, he spends some time talking about him it in his book. It almost makes you wonder if he is intentionally downplaying it quite a bit considering some of the criticism he was excepted to get. When he is having a conservation about Marx in the book without supposedly knowing anything about it, it is a bit silly.

Also, modern economists are kind of struggling to address some issues at the moment, one of the reasons Piketty wrote his book in the first place. He just has to play a little dance because he can't say the M word.

He talks about Marx in the introduction and conclusion, including a brief summary of Marx's theories, but the 500 pages of content in the middle are Marx-Free. Quotes like this lead me to believe he is not engaging in clever posturing when he suggests he doesn't think too much of Marx, the bolded section is as close to an insult as I think Piketty is ever willing to commit to the page.

Piketty page 9 posted:

Like his predecessors, Marx totally neglected the possibility of durable technological progress and steadily increasing prodictivity, which is a force that can to some extent serve as a counterweight to the process of accumulation and concentration of private capital. He no doubt lacked the statistical data needed to refine his predictions. He probably suffered as well from having decided on his conclusions in 1848, before embarking on the research needed to justify them. Marx evidently wrote in great political fervor, which at times led him to issue hasty pronouncements from which it was difficult to escape. That is why economic theory needs to be rooted in historical sources that are as complete as possible, and in this respect Marx did not exploit all the possibiilites available to him. What is more, he devoted little thought to the question of how a society in which private capital had been totally abolished would be organized politically and economically--a complex issue if ever there was one, as shown by the tragic totalitarian experiments undertaken in states where private capital was abolished.
Despite these limitations Marx's analysis remains relevant in several respects. First, he began with an important question...and tried to answer it with the means at his disposal...Even more important, the principle of infinite accumulation that Marx proposed contains a key insight...if the rates of population and productivity growth are relatively low, then accumulated wealth naturally takes on considerable importance, especially if it grows to extreme proportions and becomes socially destabilizing.

Obdicut posted:

This isn't true, or it's phrased really weirdly. Capitalism is 'unstable' to Marx because he thinks that the proletariat will achieve mass consciousness and overthrow the bourgeoisie, just as the bourgeoisie overthrew feudalism.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tendency_of_the_rate_of_profit_to_fall

quote:

The tendency of the rate of profit to fall (TRPF), also known as the "law of the tendency of the rate of profit to fall" (LTRPF), is a hypothesis in economics and political economy, most famously expounded by Karl Marx in Part Three of Das Kapital, Volume 3...
In his 1857 Grundrisse manuscript, Karl Marx called the tendency of the rate of profit to fall "the most important law of political economy" and sought to give a causal explanation for it, in terms of his theory of capital accumulation...Marx regarded the TRPF as proof that capitalist production could not be an everlasting form of production, since, in the end, the profit principle itself would suffer a breakdown

Also Andrew Kliman's newish book was on this topic.

quote:

This isn't true, no. A capitalist can also labor. Where did you get this idea from? Is it just from the very basic, and simple idea that it is possible for an owner of capital to not do work?
I'm not suggesting that Marxists believe a capitalist is not also capable of laboring, should he so choose. I'm suggesting they believe that the act of choosing how to invest their capital in order to maximize returns is not, itself, labor. Mainstream economists would disagree. If you're familiar with the American TV show Shark Tank, mainstream economists would say the "sharks" (investors) are laboring by choosing when to invest, Marxists would not.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 5, 2014

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

HorseLord posted:

It is a pissbaby idea to try and claim that a small countries' lack of wealth compared to a bigger one is somehow the fault of being socialist, rather than, you know, being a small country.

Like those well known destitute small countries like Iceland, Barbados, Singapore, Taiwan, Norway, Luxembourg and Qatar.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Oh, I get what you're saying now. Sorry, I thought you meant that capitalism was unstable politically because of falling profits, rather than economically. Sorry, my bad.

quote:

I'm not suggesting that Marxists believe a capitalist is not also capable of laboring, should he so choose. I'm suggesting they believe that the act of choosing how to invest their capital in order to maximize returns is not, itself, labor. Mainstream economists would disagree.

It's just a different kind of labor, especially because it may or may not be productive. In general, Marxist 'labor' refers to actual physical creation of stuff labor, and it doesn't work that well with creative labor, or scientific research, or the rest of that. A large part of why Marx's predictive stuff went ascrewy is because of the high amount of creative and research labor that came about with rapid technological change.

However, it's kind of a moot point when it comes to the capitalist choosing what to invest, it doesn't make any difference to the Marxist analysis. I'm not sure why you think it's a salient point; can you explain? What part of Marxist economics does it disturb if we agree that capitalists labor to choose appropriate investments?

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 5, 2014

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
If the act of investing capital is, itself, labor, then you cannot make the assumption that surplus value (profit) is produced solely by workers and expropriated by the capitalists. They might have earned it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

JeffersonClay posted:

He talks about Marx in the introduction and conclusion, including a brief summary of Marx's theories, but the 500 pages of content in the middle are Marx-Free. Quotes like this lead me to believe he is not engaging in clever posturing when he suggests he doesn't think too much of Marx, the bolded section is as close to an insult as I think Piketty is ever willing to commit to the page.

That one quote shows he is engaging with Marx though, the book is an academic work, most of the turf conflicts are going to happen in the introduction and conclusion.

Btw, the issue wasn't he liked Marx or not as an academic, but if he was influenced by him including if he read him. He goes interview saying he barely read any of Marx then in his book talks about him at enough length to critic him at multiple points, it is rather ridiculous.

Also be honest based on his how he frames Marx, I kind of doubt he is himself free from pre-judgement especially since he supposedly barely read Marx in the first place. I mean if he doesn't look at sources before judging them, why critique Marx for it? Also, no one comes into academia without ideological bias to begin with. Oh and yeah he goes further on about Marx after that quote.

I think the book is a interesting ideological battleground if anything as a liberal tries to explain what is going on in the 21st century by tiptoeing around what more or less has been talked about and he absolutely knows it but can't say it and has to distance himself from it and still has to engage it at the same time.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 5, 2014

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

JeffersonClay posted:

If the act of investing capital is, itself, labor, then you cannot make the assumption that surplus value (profit) is produced solely by workers and expropriated by the capitalists. They might have earned it.

I feel you're missing a few logical jumps here.

First of all, if you labor to decide what to invest in, that doesn't actually contribute to the productive work at all. Your example would work a lot better if you talked not about investing capital but in making active business decisions, getting deals, etc. The act of investing doesn't actually affect the productive process except to make it possible or not.

Second, even if you think about those creative decisions as productive labor, it still fits inside the Marxist model. You can still see the productivity per employee, and the surplus value they create. That the owner might also create surplus value doesn't affect that; he will have 'earned' his own portion of surplus labor, but that doesn't mean he's earned the surplus value of the individual laborer. "Earned" is a pretty clunky way to look at it, really, because it's the effects of this system that matter most to Marx, not that individual moral judgement.

As I said, you're completely right that Marxism has difficulty dealing with some forms of labor, the creative, inventive kind of labor. Someone who invents something that makes an industrial process more efficient--it's really difficult to measure that labor. In raw capitalism it's valueless unless you safeguard the secret, but with patents we have a way to put value on it. Likewise, the administrative kind of labor, the sourcing of materials, the hiring and firing decisions, all that sort of stuff is really difficult to value under any system and Marxism is no different.

There are a lot of interesting problems with Marxist valuation of labor, but that investment is itself labor isn't one of them, except semantically, because the decision to invest doesn't directly contribute to production.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

JeffersonClay posted:

The act of investing capital is merely buying something, often labour itself. You cannot create value by merely buying labour power, it doesn't poof out of thin air, printing a wage slip for an employee isn't the thing that makes you rich. The thing that makes you rich is them creating a shitload of value, taking home a slice, and you keeping the rest.

Conducting a job interview or whatever is certainly work, but it's not actually creating any value. Your factory sells shoes, not job interviews, and so you didn't create the value. Any dosh you go home with came from selling the shoes.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 6, 2014

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Obdicut posted:

There are a lot of interesting problems with Marxist valuation of labor, but that investment is itself labor isn't one of them, except semantically, because the decision to invest doesn't directly contribute to production.

The real question, in my opinion, is what happens when labor itself becomes antiquated - I realize, again, this might seem extraordinary but look at how much labor was able to be basically erased from existence with the existence of primitive computer systems.

With the rate computers are zipping forward in efficiency, it's conceivable that nearly any minimum wage job could very soon (relatively speaking) be more cheaply and effectively done by a computer.

What happens when shipping is entirely automated? Human drivers (for transportation of any sort taxi, trains, planes) are immediately made irrelevant once self driving cars become the new standard (20 years pessimistically), and from there it only gets better (or worse if you are a capitalist).

My point is, soon the very concept of

Physical Labor = Value

might soon become an almost silly notion. What on earth could your average prole offer that a highly advanced and intelligent computer system couldn't do for literally 1/50th of the cost? The answer for the entirety of history has been "you need a human to physically do this job or oversee it or else it gets hosed up" but once that's not true, what chance does the average joe have?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Race Hate Kramer posted:

The real question, in my opinion, is what happens when labor itself becomes antiquated - I realize, again, this might seem extraordinary but look at how much labor was able to be basically erased from existence with the existence of primitive computer systems.

With the rate computers are zipping forward in efficiency, it's conceivable that nearly any minimum wage job could very soon (relatively speaking) be more cheaply and effectively done by a computer.

What happens when shipping is entirely automated? Human drivers (for transportation of any sort taxi, trains, planes) are immediately made irrelevant once self driving cars become the new standard (20 years pessimistically), and from there it only gets better (or worse if you are a capitalist).

Physical Labor = Value

might soon become an almost silly notion. What on earth could your average prole offer that a highly advanced and intelligent computer system couldn't do for literally 1/50th of the cost? The answer for the entirety of history has been "you need a human to physically do this job or oversee it or else it gets hosed up" but once that's not true, what chance does the average joe have?

It'll be pretty awesome, actually, unless people are assholes about it.
Sadly, they're probably going to be assholes about it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Marxism's application of the labor theory of value (which he adopted from the classical economists) has always only been able to easily describe a section of the economy. Alienation is arguably the more convincing thing to present, given that it speaks to a broader range of people than exploitation does (smallholding farmers, for example, can easily be said to suffer from Marx's third and fourth types of alienation due to the oligopsonies common in agriculture).

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Race Hate Kramer posted:

Physical Labor = Value

The obvious answer is robot marxism

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

HorseLord posted:

The act of investing capital is merely buying something, often labour itself. You cannot create value by merely buying labour power, it doesn't poof out of thin air, printing a wage slip for an employee isn't the thing that makes you rich. The thing that makes you rich is them creating a shitload of value, taking home a slice, and you keeping the rest.

Conducting a job interview or whatever is certainly work, but it's not actually creating any value. Your factory sells shoes, not job interviews.

This is not a very good example, because conducting a job interview is actually productive - it helps you get workers able to produce shoes. You participate in the process of making something valuable. The main point is that the owner doesn't even have to do that to get their money. They can hire managers, recruiters and lawyers to make decisions for them and still get the lion's share of the profit.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Gantolandon posted:

This is not a very good example, because conducting a job interview is actually productive - it helps you get workers able to produce shoes. You participate in the process of making something valuable. The main point is that the owner doesn't even have to do that to get their money. They can hire managers, recruiters and lawyers to make decisions for them and still get the lion's share of the profit.

And if they do do it personally, they get the benefit of their own labor, unlike everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Obdicut posted:

It'll be pretty awesome, actually, unless people are assholes about it.
Sadly, they're probably going to be assholes about it.

My hope is that it will go quicker than expected and it won't come to that - as I mentioned earlier, the Lockeed Martin Fusion Engine shows much promise, and if it comes through even as half of a success, it'll still drop the price of power to basically nothing for the average person. You would be able to fully realize and integrate Edison's vision of the power grid, giving everyone functionally limitless energy.

Once energy has no monetary value, then I think it would be trivial to distribute food and basically eradicate poverty in much of the world very quickly - and from there it only gets better.

My point is, once the price cost for things that poor people currently are desperate for, food, clothes, power, etc - is functionally nonexistent, then the world will be able to undergo a rapid period of 'self correction' and establishing proper infrastructure, resources, and food options for basically everywhere which, I should remind everyone, is already trivially easy

Friendly Tumour posted:

The obvious answer is robot marxism

You laugh but you can't refute any of my points so I'm winning so :goatsecx:

Digi_Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 6, 2014

• Locked thread