Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Turtlicious posted:

Idk maybe if someone would show or talk about a consistent win streak, but right now what I hear (and see on most streams!) Is some dude dying a bunch until he gets some cool poo poo.

e: You can tell me to git gud, but it's not like we know you're any good either.

I said no such thing and there's no need to get so defensive, but it's kinda hard to say what you're doing wrong without seeing your actual play. And yeah, an experienced player can get to Mom's Heart on normal just fine but at that point it's probably not a "win" anymore since the game doesn't actually end there. On top of that the game gets harder when you beat it so the better you get at it the more challenging it gets. Obviously winstreaks are unlikely unless you're an exceptionally good player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Game-breaking glitches and fixes summary post is in the middle of the last page.

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004
I think a real cool thing about this game is how varied each run can be. For every few mediocre runs where you're dodging for your life and hanging on to that last half heart, you have a mega carry run where you are death incarnate. Both types of runs are really satisfying and the variety really keeps the game fun for me.

Goddamn that brimstone laser noise is grating though, the music is fine but some of the sound design choices are pretty bleh

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Oh god a magnetic tears item that affects enemies, that got me killed really fast.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Zeron posted:

Oh god a magnetic tears item that affects enemies, that got me killed really fast.

Yep, never picking that one up again.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I can't use the Fortune Telling Machine because there's an item that can come out of it that crashes my game.

Otherwise it's v good.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Haha i got dark boy on my first attempt to use azazel.

Was there a no hit achievement for the womb in the original or is that new?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Well, my first Mom's Heart victory got me a lot of stuff. Samson, basement boy, I turned into the lord of flies. Mom's Heart is a lot easier when you have a halo of flies and a level 2 meat boy compared to nothing when I first fought it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Clever Spambot posted:

Haha i got dark boy on my first attempt to use azazel.

Was there a no hit achievement for the womb in the original or is that new?

Mama's Boy existed, yeah

SuicideSnowman posted:

That was from the blog. Not sure how much is true or what else it entails.

Well the bit about no hearts from bosses is true

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

My god, this Samson run was insane. Got Number One and something that gave me splash damage early on, and after that the game seemed determined to heap as many damage and range upgrades on me as it could. As if that weren't enough, I picked up Cancer in the caves or depths :stare:

Cruised to and through the womb with incredible ease, got my first heart kill, and got a God room allowing me to go to the cathedral early. That boss wasn't hard either. :v:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So the Gate uh

Catastrophics
Jun 2, 2011
Solar System beaten! I don't want to think how many attempts that took.

I'm afraid I don't really have any tips beyond making use of deal with the devil and checking curse rooms. Just picking up a baby item there helps a lot. For my winning run I got lucky and found the bible, I think I'd have lost to Mom's heart without it.

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

Anasurimbur posted:

I had a level on Caves level 2 where I was constantly getting "do overs" for the level - a room that looked like a dice. Every time I stepped into one of the dice holes the level would start again, I kept whatever buffs I found and I'd get another boss kill + another buff.

After my 5th or so reroll of the level, I became "The Lord of the Flies." It gave me around 7 familiars, flight, purple shots tears that went both in front and behind me and I was virtually unstoppable.

I have no idea what happened.

Wow, okay, that's what happened to me. I posted a bit back about how I suddenly I had new power-ups and all the old ones I had were gone, but I guess that room does it. Except maybe it was still a bug because I don't remember actually fighting anything in that room, just touching something and then boom, crazy power-ups out the rear end.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Kurtofan posted:

So the Gate uh

The Gate is a real motherfucker. Also I'm not a fan of those skeleton head enemies as their bone projectile is hard to see and kinda goes against the design of literally every other projectile in the game. Not sure what they were thinking with that.

And yeah it sucks that there's not more to the unlockables in the menus. They really did some work on some parts of the game and absolutely nothing on others.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Is Cain's lucky foot broken or something? Just got a negative pill.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I was about to beat High Brow before I encountered a glitch with the ghostly boss, x double-trouble. I killed one, but the other would never go solid so I could hurt him.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Got Dark boy and Mama's boy on my last run, playing as Cain. I also got Everything is terrible, gonna be fun to see how that works out in this game. It's impressive how much they've improved the game, beyond the technical stuff. I dig all the new items and trinkets. gently caress Dingle, though.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Range up/downgrades now have an effect on Mom's Knife. I got about 6 range up pills with Lazarus, it was flying across the room with less than a second charge. Made it a lot harder to aim effectively, but it's still as powerful as it was in vanilla Isaac.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Is Cain's lucky foot broken or something? Just got a negative pill.

They nerfed it so the PHD wouldn't be useless anymore.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Zeron posted:

I got Magnetic Tears combined with Ludovico and Concussive Tears and it was deadly, I could stick the tear on the other side of the room, and it would suck in all of the enemies and bash them around until they were dead. And as if that wasn't enough, I also got the Infamy mask, triple orbitals and became Guppy so absolutely nothing could touch me :allears:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

So the Gate uh

gently caress the Gate. gently caress Master Maw too while you're at it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The bullet hell bosses are actually good.

Turtlicious posted:

Idk maybe if someone would show or talk about a consistent win streak, but right now what I hear (and see on most streams!) Is some dude dying a bunch until he gets some cool poo poo.

e: You can tell me to git gud, but it's not like we know you're any good either.
I'm on a 5 kill streak (heart only for now) at the moment. I think it mostly comes down to knowledge of what each enemy does and how to avoid putting yourself in a situation where you can't avoid its attack. If you want any tips for specific enemies that are taking hearts from you I can probably help.

One general tip: if you don't think you're in danger of dying within the next room it's often better to not take blue/black hearts until the end of the level. That way you'll take (easily repaired) red damage, and can save the blue for the harder next floor.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
So do you get mulitple shots at the no damage achievements now? I just managed to get Mama's Boy but I took damage on the first floor of that section.

Having a hard time figuring out to whether to play this on PC or Playstation, I think at this rate I'll be sinking time into both versions...

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

IMJack posted:

gently caress the Gate. gently caress Master Maw too while you're at it.

Mega Maw owns, though. A nice bit of bullet hell dodging work, and he goes down because he's got basically no health.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Well the bit about no hearts from bosses is true

Hearts seem to be pretty scarce in general, although maybe I'm misremembering how common they were on Normal.

Magdalene seems quite useful on Hard since she retains her rechargable heal.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Dark boy was the bane of my existence in WoL and I got it easy peasy in Rebirth.

This game feels a bit more forgiving.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Man, do you guys have any tips for starting? Should I stick with Isaac or try to unlock someone else? I've been using Cain but it doesn't seem worthwhile if his Lucky Foot is nerfed.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Triple shot + Doctor's Remote = Triple Bombs :getin:

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Heh if you bomb the shop guy theres a small chance he'll spawn a steam sale.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Does Rebirth have Steam Cloud saves or will I have to transfer a save to my htpc?

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
My only complaint about the Vita version is it's next to impossible to see the screen if you're trying to play it outside/in a car/bus. Sadly the Vita version has no option for Gamma. I tried turning up the Vita's brightness all the way but it makes no real difference. Once you hit Caves/Catacombs things like spiders on the ground become impossible to see.

Loot
Apr 3, 2013

119-242 Text Count
+59 Contribution Score
+5.9% Cold Resistance

6.7% chance of shitposting
Fires rockets instead of bullets!

Zeron posted:

I got it on my last run where I just annihilated the Boss Rush. It helps to make your tears as large as possible to suck them in.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Man, do you guys have any tips for starting? Should I stick with Isaac or try to unlock someone else? I've been using Cain but it doesn't seem worthwhile if his Lucky Foot is nerfed.

If at all possible, Azazel is pretty good for his starting abilities. Also while Lucky Foot no longer negates bad pills, it still increases your luck which is much better in Rebirth.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Mega Maw owns, though. A nice bit of bullet hell dodging work, and he goes down because he's got basically no health.

Oooooh, I was wondering why there was boss named Mega Man. :downs:

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
poo poo really? his name is mega maw? I thought it was mega man too...

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Just stick with Isaac for now. Don't be afraid to just keep restarting (hold the R key) if your first item is bad until you get a decent damage boost or one of the better survival/defensive items. Past that it's mostly just about learning enemy patterns and getting used to the game. Just take it slow and focus on trying to not get hit, as obvious as that sounds.

Kuros posted:

Does Rebirth have Steam Cloud saves or will I have to transfer a save to my htpc?
Yeah there are cloud saves, works fine switching between my PC and laptop.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
I just finished the technology challenge and after I beat mom a room opened up. There were four items to choose. Then it spawned every boss in the game, in pairs. Is this a challenge only thing or does it happen in the main game as well? That was awesome, if a little time consuming.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm getting a lot of golden keys. They used to be fairly rare but I've seen enough already in Rebirth to make note of it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Obviously with 41 losses in a row I'm extremely bad, I'm just wondering how much is luck, and if someone could show me what good play looks like (Since I might be watching poo poo streams,) or explain what saves a run, then I'd at least win once.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

BlackFrost posted:

I just finished the technology challenge and after I beat mom a room opened up. There were four items to choose. Then it spawned every boss in the game, in pairs. Is this a challenge only thing or does it happen in the main game as well? That was awesome, if a little time consuming.

It happens every time you beat Mom under a certain time limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Well, my kill streak ended. Had a particularly bad run with Cain. It wasn't even the item drop stuff, I just apparently had forgotten how to dodge projectiles after my Azarael run.