Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, Daemon is basically the dark equivalent to Erik's light, so he's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

Nuella and Yullea (I think I have those right) are downright godlike.

Odin's pretty drat good too. I haven't tried Dameon yet.

they are christmas twins because noel and yule thats how you remember their names

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Corridor posted:

is daemon any good? i heard that erik and olivia were beasts but what about the christmas twins?

the twins just seem like a weaker erik and damien/daemon, to be honest.

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.
You bring Yuelia for the heals. Bring Ophelia for the pain. :getin:

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I just bring Yulia because she's the easiest to find and I'm lazy

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yuelia and Noelia are nuts because if you bring them along, pulling your weapon out causes everything in your line of sight to be promptly annihilated by laser beams. They are both pretty strong wizards and really aggressive with their spells, so it's like tromping around with a loving artillery squad at your beck and call. poo poo rules.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I should talk to NPCs more. Here's some stuff that I didn't know about/realize:

1. The guard at the base of Mt. Snowpeak will instantly warp you to the cabin.
2. While warping via fast travel causes you to drop your bounties, warping via NPC will bring your bounty with you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Argue posted:

I should talk to NPCs more. Here's some stuff that I didn't know about/realize:

1. The guard at the base of Mt. Snowpeak will instantly warp you to the cabin.
2. While warping via fast travel causes you to drop your bounties, warping via NPC will bring your bounty with you.

:monocle:

This changes everything. I even briefly thought that might be the case but didn't try it because I assumed there were Bounty dudes all over the place for the exact reason that warping always dropped your bounties.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

:monocle:

This changes everything. I even briefly thought that might be the case but didn't try it because I assumed there were Bounty dudes all over the place for the exact reason that warping always dropped your bounties.

Bounties are also carried if you ride your horse.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

ayn rand hand job posted:

Bounties are also carried if you ride your horse.

Yep! Now, if only your horse could enter cities, be called to your current location from anywhere, and be an adorable turtle instead of a boring horse :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I always forget the Horse Shop exists. I haven't run out of Bliss Upgrades to the point where I want my own horse yet, since the extra Bag space is essential if like me you're a hoarder and hate messing with Storage. Hairstyle/Clothes Dyeing and Magical Fairy Shop were also high priority because I'm a grown man that plays with (virtual) dolls.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

precision posted:

I always forget the Horse Shop exists. I haven't run out of Bliss Upgrades to the point where I want my own horse yet, since the extra Bag space is essential if like me you're a hoarder and hate messing with Storage. Hairstyle/Clothes Dyeing and Magical Fairy Shop were also high priority because I'm a grown man that plays with (virtual) dolls.

The storage is actually disgustingly convenient in this game. Put all of your crafting materials in storage. You don't even have to manually take them back out of storage when it's crafting time.

The crafting interface considers your Storage to be a direct extension of your inventory for the purposes of having available materials. It is so good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jesus, this game has way more quality of life conveniences than I ever expect out of video games. Thanks.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I just wish that was the case for the quests as well. :(

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Onean posted:

I just wish that was the case for the quests as well. :(

If it handled side quests like Xenoblade it would be the perfect game.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

deadly_pudding posted:

The storage is actually disgustingly convenient in this game. Put all of your crafting materials in storage. You don't even have to manually take them back out of storage when it's crafting time.

The crafting interface considers your Storage to be a direct extension of your inventory for the purposes of having available materials. It is so good.

The most important piece of information. Finally, my bag will stop being 470/500.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Ragequit posted:

If it handled side quests like Xenoblade it would be the perfect game.

Nah, it'd need a greater variety of crafting minigames too.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

TurnipFritter posted:

Nah, it'd need a greater variety of crafting minigames too.

I have been changing them up enough so it hasn't bothered me, but I imagine if you were trying to grind one out it would get old fast.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
If anything, this game is making me seriously consider purchasing the latest Cooking Mama :ohdear:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Got this yesterday, already an Apprentice in Paladin, Miner, and Blacksmith, just finished the first story mission. Should I worry about getting my primary classes to rank up first or get everything to Apprentice first? Is there an objectively better choice or should I just do what seems correct? So many questions! It's a really good game.

E: does the pet dog ever get better at combat? Because he is pretty decent now unless he gets teamed up on, but seems to have something of a low ceiling. Should I ditch him when I get access to Paladin Waifu and other human combat npcs?

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 5, 2014

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Someone can probably correct me on this if I am wrong, but I would advise trying to clear the main story as the later cities/settlements sell things that can really help move crafting along. I just got to the Elderwood settlement and they sell Elder logs, which I wish I knew earlier.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Ragequit posted:

Someone can probably correct me on this if I am wrong, but I would advise trying to clear the main story as the later cities/settlements sell things that can really help move crafting along. I just got to the Elderwood settlement and they sell Elder logs, which I wish I knew earlier.

Na I agree, honestly after leveling up all my gatherers and crafters around the same time and holding off on story I kind of wish that I had just stuck with hunter or merc and advanced the story enough to have the majority of materials available to me.

Especially because it becomes easy to level gatherers if you have crafters that have access to whatever materials they want, since it's so easy to turn a profit off of crafting anything.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Ragequit posted:

Samba De Amigo posted:

Na I agree, honestly after leveling up all my gatherers and crafters around the same time and holding off on story I kind of wish that I had just stuck with hunter or merc and advanced the story enough to have the majority of materials available to me.

Especially because it becomes easy to level gatherers if you have crafters that have access to whatever materials they want, since it's so easy to turn a profit off of crafting anything.

OK, thanks, I'll focus on advancing the story for now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Advance the story until you can fast-travel to Al-Maajik at least, because otherwise you'll be stuck at Adept for quite a few Lifes.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

Advance the story until you can fast-travel to Al-Maajik at least, because otherwise you'll be stuck at Adept for quite a few Lifes.

You can make it to Master in every class but Mercenary by that point. I think you need the Ancient Ruins because the math doesn't work out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ayn rand hand job posted:

You can make it to Master in every class but Mercenary by that point. I think you need the Ancient Ruins because the math doesn't work out.

I couldn't even get to Expert in Carpenter without access to Sugar Wood, unless you mean you only need access to the Al-Maajik area rather than finishing it off?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

I couldn't even get to Expert in Carpenter without access to Sugar Wood, unless you mean you only need access to the Al-Maajik area rather than finishing it off?

Bingo.

Although technically you might be able to get Master if you can kill the Lord of the Dead, but that's a bitch.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Am I screwing myself by pretty evenly dividing my stats? I am leveling up all classes, but are there any stats that should be ignored and made up for by higher level equipment?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
You should really focus on luck, keeping the rest even is fine. Luck is just super important for not hating your life.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

so, those scenes when you master a life are something. do the lyrics translate right?

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

glassyalabolas posted:

so, those scenes when you master a life are something. do the lyrics translate right?

They do. They're nice adaptations that stay true to the context of the original lyrics.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Jsor posted:

You should really focus on luck, keeping the rest even is fine. Luck is just super important for not hating your life.

Honestly you don't even really need to do that. I kinda ignored luck until after I beat the game, and didn't realize how useful it was until I was Godding stuff. Even then it still wasn't bad at all. Fantasy Life is not a hard game.

Besides, if you screw up you can always respec.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I'm glad I'll be able to trivially respec later- I've been going +1 Str, +1 Vit every level so far which is great for what I am currently doing but kinda pigeonholes me to Pally/Miner a bit.

E: also does your wish, which you tell the butterfly by picking from that list, affect anything but your StreetPass card?

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 5, 2014

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
:haw: The songs when you hit Master rank are adorable. I reached Master Carpenter and Blacksmith at about the same time since I was dawdling around for hours; when I finally reached Al Maajik, bam! All these ranks suddenly showed up.

Is it just me, or did Hyadain sing the Blacksmith song? It sounds familiar at least.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Out of all the Master songs I've seen I think the Miner and Carpenter ones are the best. The first was a nice rap and the other just had such a booming voice that was thankfully easier to hear than some of the other ones.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
Saw the credits, still trying to build up enough Dosh to get a house in the Elderwood. I'll also have to start on fast-tracking my last three Lives: Wizard, Cook, and Survivalist Archer Ranger ARROW NERD. What other RPG was I mixing it up with to keep calling it Survivalist :doh:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

How Ingratiating! posted:

Saw the credits, still trying to build up enough Dosh to get a house in the Elderwood. I'll also have to start on fast-tracking my last three Lives: Wizard, Cook, and Survivalist Archer Ranger ARROW NERD. What other RPG was I mixing it up with to keep calling it Survivalist :doh:

Wait you can get a house in the elderwood? Is that a DLC thing?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wait you can get a house in the elderwood? Is that a DLC thing?

Nope. You can get houses in each of the main cities, the elderwood, and one other location that I know of. In theory there's a sixth slot, but I assume that it refers to a DLC place since I haven't gotten that yet. Once you complete the storyline in the area, talk to every NPC in the village and see if one of them has a house for sale.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

the elderwood house only appears after you do that story chapter. as in the house is literally not there until you visit the elderwood village afterward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Also unlike the first 2 holiday homes, you don't get a letter telling you that you can buy it.

• Locked thread