Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Spinning Blades LV4 and Brief Invincibility LV4 (or 3, if you're at 20 rather than 21) is The Best Option, frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I tend to go with the gradual recovery instead of the instant one, it's more efficient I think and I often end the run with spares.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Nahxela posted:

http://youtu.be/iXDYc6JtCts?t=1m29s

Join #smashgoons on synirc for fun times like this, where you can fight my G&W

i think you mean #goonsmash

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

as this blessed evening falls don't forget the alcohol
I need mix up my Falcon game. I got tired of For Glory so I've been playing people via http://www.smashladder.com/netplay -- which is great since they go by a tournament format for the ladder and gets away from strictly omega stages.

I had a solid 3-4 straight losses last night since starting it. On one hand most matches were really close which is nice! On the other hand I got trounced by a hilariously campy ROB player who played the disc + laser + spacing game really well. That was mildly frustrating.

I also hit another Falcon player on For Glory when I figured I'd cool down and hopefully stomp anyone. They didn't strike me as a better player but they just read every approach and attack I had and crushed me. Pretty demoralizing.

Any Falcon tips on handling either scenario? (Falcon dittos. campy players, etc.)

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
Does Zelda's teleport have a tell, like Greninja's shadow?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PenguinBob posted:

Does Zelda's teleport have a tell, like Greninja's shadow?

If you tap Zelda's portrait on the touch screen, the rainbow bracket follows her teleport. This works for EVERYTHING, and is effectively a 3DS-specific nerf to teleporting characters.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
No comments on the Duck Hunt trailer?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

It was funny.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Like Shulk and Bowser Jr. it was something that would have been absolutely amazing if we didn't already know they were in it.

It was still super rad and cute though :3:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I liked that there was a Duck Hunt stage shown briefly, we hadn't seen that yet at all.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
"This Commander Video trophy would have been a Super Meat Boy trophy if they had bothered to release it on one of our systems like they originally planned."

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
http://youtu.be/6t5DetuBMOY

They also updated the site for Duck Hunt and Jigglypuff.
http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/secret10.html
http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/secret11.html

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Echo Chamber posted:

Game not compatible with Zapper.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

The best pic so far. The others don't even compare! :allears:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

This would stand out as the worst kiss in Captain Falcon's life.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Look at his rear end.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

mabels big day posted:

Look at his rear end.

Captain Falcon's perfect body is the best part of Smash Bros

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

mabels big day posted:

Look at his rear end.

It's so beautiful, it's a shame jigglypuff is so tsundere.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Where does Larry stand in the hierarchy? I play Larry. I hope Larry is a good choice as well because that's the one I play, Larry Koopa.

This was from like six pages ago and like a week ago but I want to make sure everyone knows this is wrong and Larry Koopa is the worst turtle that's ever been.
gently caress Larry Koopa. If you like Larry Koopa you are a piece of poo poo. gently caress you, koopa.

Edit: gently caress LARRY KOOPA

Edit 2: gently caress yooooooooooou

loving poo poo turtle for babies

mdct fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 6, 2014

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I'm trying to learn Lucario, but I've been having some trouble. I think some habits I've formed with DeDeDe are poorly transferring to Lucario. For example I love DeDeDe's down tilt but Lucario's seems to suck.

Anyone have some Lucario tips for me?

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Lame Devil posted:

I'm trying to learn Lucario, but I've been having some trouble. I think some habits I've formed with DeDeDe are poorly transferring to Lucario. For example I love DeDeDe's down tilt but Lucario's seems to suck.

Get hit a bunch and then use your buff powers to KO people while they're at like 30%

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Lame Devil posted:

Blow.

Yourself up.

With Smart Bombs.

blue font
Feb 28, 2011
Does anyone have a link to that Ike who did really well in a tournament a few days ago? I want watch video

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Watching all the content that is in the Wii U version and not in the 3DS makes me think the 3DS version is a garbage game made for garbage people.

I mean just listen to that music look at those stages graphics so crisp

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Kelp Plankton posted:

I liked that there was a Duck Hunt stage shown briefly, we hadn't seen that yet at all.
I also like there is an ACTUAL DUCK HUNT THEME WE CAN USE FOR THEM :D that is just so rad, I was super happy to see that trailer come finally.

Though to be fair, they do at least actually hide the secret characters behind spoilertags in case you somehow lived under a rock beneath the depths of Lake Baikal to have not known who they were.
Someone cared out there :) also the loving art poster for Duck Hunt is so awesome, even the freaking Quality Sticker is fantastic.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 6, 2014

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Lame Devil posted:

mabels big day posted:

Blow.

Yourself

But in all seriousness, Lucario has been my best character so far, so I'll share some of what I know.

Lucario doesn't have the strongest ground game; most of his moves are fairly slow, especially his smash attacks. His aerial game is very strong, however, so you want your opponent to be in the air as much as you can. His grab is generally average, but his pivot grab has really crazy range, and his up throw can reliably connect into anything you want. One of my favourites is up throw > up air > double jump > up air. His neutral air may seem pretty bad, but it cancels very fast when he hits the ground; use it less to attack your opponent and more to pressure him into shielding or dodging, and you can follow up accordingly because there's just so little lag on it. His uptilt, the overhead leg sweep, is very fast and hits on both sides of him, making it a great panic button if you're being pressured or surrounded.

Lucario basically isn't character until he's at about 60%. Before then, his strongest attack (fully charged up smash) does only 17% (for comparison, Mario's up smash does 14% uncharged). This isn't necessarily a totally bad thing, because while your attacks don't do much damage and don't have much knockback, they can string into each other very well. You might find it disheartening if you manage to land twelve to fourteen hits and find you've only done 30% damage, though.

But when you start taking damage is when options start coming up for you. Attacks hit harder; your recovery gets better. Force Palm gets stronger and has more range the more damage he takes (and that's not even when Aura is maxed). The longer you can survive, the stronger you become, and while some people would argue that that's unfair because you're being rewarded for being outplayed, another way to look at it is you're being rewarded for surviving and for having essentially no early game to speak of.

One of my favourite things to do, if I'm knocked off-stage, is to hide in the blast bubble and charge my Aura Sphere. What is your opponent going to do, chase you? You can airdodge, or fire your AS at them, or you can just Extreme Speed right then and there and fly right over them. You can wait until Aura Sphere is fully charged and then recover from even the farthest corners of the stage. A fun trick: if you use Double Team and hold in the opposite direction Lucario is facing, then, if it triggers, Lucario will shoot forward rather than backward. You can use this to punish even successful edgeguards while making your own recovery just that much easier.

In the same vein, if you knock your opponent off stage, you can chase them as hard as you want. The only way they can fight back is to knock you back into the stage, ensuring that you both recover safely and that your Aura is just that much stronger (unless, of course, they have a meteor smash, like Mario or Donkey Kong. Always be aware of not just your own options, but your opponent's as well). They can't try to edgehog you because that mechanic's been removed entirely, and even if they did, your recovery is just so balls-to-the-wall good that you'd have no trouble making it back anyway. Aside from you getting spiked or something, the worst that can happen to you is that you miss and your opponent makes it back onstage safely.

Your Aura gets stronger the more damage you take. This starts to get especially crazy once you hit 100%, because then the Rage mechanic stacks with Aura. Suddenly, your up throw does 14% and you can kill Captain Falcon with fsmash at fifty percent. Your best kill options are your up air and your back air - both of which are kind of slow, but they hit like loving freight trains. I once killed ROB off the top from beneath Battlefield with a single up air at 70%. Maybe it's unfair; maybe it's an oversight; but if you're a tryhard enough to want to win, then Lucario has something for you to exploit.

Your Aura maxes out at roughly 200%, but that's only if the stocks are even. If you're up a stock (compared to the next best player), it maxes later, but if your down a stock (compared to whoever's in the lead), it maxes earlier. The game judges whether you have a stock lead or a stock deficit by who is currently "in the lead" in the game you're playing, regardless if that person is your teammate. So, for instance, if you're playing a 2v2 stock game, and you lose all your stocks but your partner hasn't lost one, and then you take one of theirs, and you lose that, and then you take another one - you are now down four stocks, while the best player in the game, your partner, is still on his first. Your Aura now maxes very early, possibly as early as 20%. In the competitive scene, this is called the "Anubis strategy" and is considered not only valid but quite threatening.

Once you're at 100%, start spacing with Force Palm. It hits so hard and it reaches so far that you can essentially put up a no-fly zone that nobody can cross or else they're getting shot in the face. Be very careful, though, because Force Palm can be reflected - it'll instantly bounce back into your face and then it's you who's in trouble.

So anyway, yeah, Lucario's pretty good. He works really well against characters that build damage quickly and are good at gimping, but not at killing - Sheik, Greninja, Zero Suit Samus, etc. They hit you a bunch, but they can't kill you, and they can't take your recovery because it's too good for them to take. Characters like Donkey Kong and Bowser are great sponges, but they're scary because they can kill you much easier and you have to be in kill percentages to be threatening. Characters with reflectors like Fox or Mario are kind of tricky because spacing with Force Palm is so valuable and they can shut that down completely.

To summarize:

E: Oh yeah, if you're playing against friends and they want to use custom moves, use Snaring Aura Sphere. It's essentially the best move ever.

e2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGQE6hfOUxA

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 6, 2014

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Smash 3DS weekly tournament thing: http://www.twitch.tv/clashtournaments

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

this is actually exactly the kind of thing I'm in the mood to watch. Hoping to see some cool characters.

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Woah. Thanks man. Someone should combine all these goon guides into one place.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Geop retweeted this from someone on Twitter and I'm reaaaaaaaally hoping it's not a shop.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

FinalGamer posted:

Geop retweeted this from someone on Twitter and I'm reaaaaaaaally hoping it's not a shop.

Yes, Nintendo made a penis meme reference in SSB for Wii U. I'm sorry the surprise had to be spoiled for you

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And yes, the game has the Wii U corner icon from the dojo screenshots at all times.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

FinalGamer posted:

It's a shop dude are you loving serious

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FinalGamer posted:

Don't listen to anyone else it's real check out the other one

Nintendo is out of control!!!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You won't believe what Bowser says during his secret taunt.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

10 Things You Never Knew About Duck Hunt!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's 'beans'. Bowser's taunt has him saying 'beans'.

This caught on as a joke among my friends somehow, and I have genuinely no idea where we got it from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
You Won't Believe How Quickly This Pink Puffball Learns Trade Skills! Teachers Hate Him!

• Locked thread