Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'd like to think that FW is good enough about customer service that they won't ask if he bought them legit before e-mailing a copy of the instructions

They'll ask you for an order number or a box/packet batch number because of all the recasters unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Still playing around with possible GK lists, how does this look:

HQ (155pts)
Librarian (155pts)- ML3 - storm bolter - Cuirass of Sacrifice

Elites (200pts)
Purifier Squad (200pts)
6 guys, 2 hammers, 2 incenerators + Rhino

Troops (585pts)
Terminator Squad (195pts)
5 Guys, 1 hammer, 1 psycannon

Fast Attack (150pts)
Razorback, twin lascannon (75)
Razorback, twin lascannon (75)

Heavy Support (410pts)
Nemesis Dreadknight (205pts) Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis greatsword,Personal teleporter
Nemesis Dreadknight (205pts) Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis greatsword,Personal teleporter

I don't want to start with more than one FOC as some of the games I'll probably play in the beginnning will not allow that. They also only allow CAD, so no teleporter rush shenanigans i guess :(

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

serious gaylord posted:

They'll ask you for an order number or a box/packet batch number because of all the recasters unfortunately.

That's poo poo customer service, recasters or not. The instructions should straight-up be downloadable pdfs on their site.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 5, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Err, no it isn't The instructions are part of the product. There's no onus to have them separately available and there's absolutely nothing wrong with asking for proof of purchase when you know that people are buying knock-offs that don't come with instructions.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Err, no it isn't The instructions are part of the product. There's no onus to have them separately available and there's absolutely nothing wrong with asking for proof of purchase when you know that people are buying knock-offs that don't come with instructions.

It absolutely is. I've never recast nor bought a recast but you can bet I'd be offended if I 1) had to call Forgeworld to get the instructions to assemble something and then 2) needed to provide proof of purchase to receive a digital copy of the instructions. The only reason I didn't know about this process was because when ANAmal gave me a warhound as a gift without the instructions I just found them online with a google search. Because you know, it's 2014.

Also seriuosly Forgeworld is hosed if giving the instructions away free is that big a deal

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I think this is a mountains out of molehills situation. Just email them, get a response back in like an hour or so and go back to 'hamming. If you feel so strongly tell them about it in the email.

And be happy LEGO don't do the same thing :v:.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm pretty sure that the idea of it being advisable to make things harder for your legit customers in order to "catch" or "punish" thieves had already begun to be discredited a decade ago. If someone buys from a recaster, then FW has already lost that sale and they're gonna figure out how to put their model together one way or another (like Chirurgeon says)--they're not gonna go AHHH YA GOT MEH and shamefacedly buy the real model after FW delivers the :masterstroke: of not having instructions freely available.

That said, it probably won't change soon so just give them the info and accept this as the 'cost' of doing business with GW corporate.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Video Game companies have been providing their manuals online, for free, and it in no way correlates with piracy.

Having your books and models produced in China, does.

GW is a bad company news at 7.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

Just email them, get a response back in like an hour or so and go back to 'hamming.

Hahahahaha. Ha.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Pro Click, the guy who was building the multi tiered gaming table with a underground forge and cavern updated it

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/60/619332.page#7331915

loving insane and awesome.

Of course someone comments that because he used bendy straws as pipes the immersion is ruined.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Hollismason posted:

Pro Click, the guy who was building the multi tiered gaming table with a underground forge and cavern updated it

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/60/619332.page#7331915

loving insane and awesome.

Of course someone comments that because he used bendy straws as pipes the immersion is ruined.

Still owns

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Mango Polo posted:

Hahahahaha. Ha.

Every time I've emailed FW I've gotten a response back within a couple of hours unless it's right at the end of their business day (or past the end).

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

Every time I've emailed FW I've gotten a response back within a couple of hours unless it's right at the end of their business day (or past the end).

Really? All of my experiences with emails have been awful(ly slow) over the years. Last one was two weeks ago when I unpacked some boxes and could not find my thallax instructions. I'm still waiting to hear back despite trying to follow up twice.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I now have a burning desire to make a Space Hulk-style display board for my Deathwing, complete with a plethora of LEDs and sliding doors that make the sound the doors from Doom make when you open them.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I don't know if it applies to FW but GW doesn't ask for proof of purchase for instructions. A friend of mine gave me the Sentinel from his guard battle force and I just emailed GW saying I needed instructions and they sent me a PDF right away.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Mango Polo posted:

Really? All of my experiences with emails have been awful(ly slow) over the years. Last one was two weeks ago when I unpacked some boxes and could not find my thallax instructions. I'm still waiting to hear back despite trying to follow up twice.

Likely backed up as a result of the Warhammer even they did - though I would say just call them.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

krushgroove posted:

Ghost Hand, are you going to be in the gaming hall tomorrow afternoon (on Thursday)? I'll be heading up there for an interview and will swing by to see what the state of the construction is these days.

I'm hoping to be there by 11am. I'll probably have lunch in Bugmans.

I'm super easy to spot as I am always wearing a baseball style cap. This time it's dark blue with a white M on the front.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
What are some of the coolest objective markers you guys have seen?

I wanna do something that's not as generic as 'random bits glued on a base' or 'wounded dude'

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 6, 2014

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

BULBASAUR posted:

I wanna do something that's not as generic as 'random bits glued on a base' or 'wounded dude'

I like mine but I'm biased. Need to do a few more.

On 60mmish bases.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just wondering, with the Archmagos Draykavak, how does the size of his head compare to the size of a normal space marine head? I was thinking about using the skull head for a conversion, but I am not sure of the scale of the thing. With luck it will be comparable and then I can start the fun of trying to find someone who put the non skull head on that is willing to sell their spare head.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh Duncan, only you can make the Maleceptor look good! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gevL5Rvn0Jc

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

jadebullet posted:

Just wondering, with the Archmagos Draykavak, how does the size of his head compare to the size of a normal space marine head? I was thinking about using the skull head for a conversion, but I am not sure of the scale of the thing. With luck it will be comparable and then I can start the fun of trying to find someone who put the non skull head on that is willing to sell their spare head.

I can take a picture when I get home, I don't think I'm going to use it so you hit the jackpot.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

One of the guys at the LGS has working blinking LED lights built into the teleport homer bits and uses them on his objective markers. He's also the kind of crazy dude who lights up his vehicles and has smoke markers made from those LED tea lights, so he goes the extra mile with his 'hamms.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

I kinda like these ones conceptually... they're made to look like projections on a HUD or something.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Cool find Cataphract. Makes me think of a video game, which is neat.

These also look cool as you can model them into some neat bases...

... but the numbers make no sense :(

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

BULBASAUR posted:

They could be worth different values that you don't know until you capture them?

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

Probably useful for the scouring mission.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Finally, objective markers for my :mario: marines.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BULBASAUR posted:

Actually I think they do for random victory point value.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cataphract posted:

I kinda like these ones conceptually... they're made to look like projections on a HUD or something.

EVA: Our base is under attack.

For some reason all I can see is mouse marker or something from Tiberian Sun or C&C3.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

jadebullet posted:

Germ
May 7, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm biased, but I'm a fan of non-obtrusive, flat, and functional.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Hencoe posted:

*helmet comparison*

Thanks man. That is a much better response than I was expecting. Thanks for taking the time to take a picture. That head looks really awesome.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
For some reason this came up when searching the gallery for objective markers.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

That's objectively the coolest marker.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That's the space hulk objective marker.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
The ultimate objective for any space marine is to have a bit of a sit.

And be a skellington :skeltal:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Hencoe posted:

I can take a picture when I get home, I don't think I'm going to use it so you hit the jackpot.

Just let me know how much you want for it. It'll have to wait until next Thursday when I get paid though.

You can email me at lexlowmaster at gmail.com

In further 40k discussion, don't you guys love it when a model you are painting gets to the stage where it just comes together and goes from looking kinda meh, to really popping and looking awesome.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 6, 2014

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

jadebullet posted:

In further 40k discussion, don't you guys love it when a model you are painting gets to the stage where it just comes together and goes from looking kinda meh, to really popping and looking awesome.

It usually happens when I finish the base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Happens for me when I apply the contrasts.

• Locked thread