Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Is a picture of Beth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
The thing that didn't make any sense to me was eating guinea pig, who has been keeping a guinea pig alive for all that time just to eat because he killed another doctor. What do you feed a guinea pig for all that time.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Crankit posted:

The thing that didn't make any sense to me was eating guinea pig, who has been keeping a guinea pig alive for all that time just to eat because he killed another doctor. What do you feed a guinea pig for all that time.

assuming they dug in pretty early on in the saga (which they reference being in the hospital when the bombs fell). Hospitals have a lot of animals in them, esp research hospitals (my wife works on the board at a local hospital that ensures the animals are safe to dispose etc) I'm surpised they don't have any goat and pig because those are other animals they test on pretty frequently. My guess is that it is because guinea pigs can survive on a lot less food and the roof scene shows they're doing rooftop gardening. Guinea pigs also reproduce like mad, and killing one provides just enough meat for a meal without needing preservation, so it's a pretty good thing to have. I know a lot of preppers keep rabbits for the same reason.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Crankit posted:

Eh that kinda made sense to me, seeing as who is going to raid the Pet Smart for thousands of pounds of gerbil feed that is inedible to humans? There would be a ton of it and you could use it to breed food that people could actually digest.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Sammus posted:

Huh? Anything that involves taking I40 means that they'll end up on I81. And I-81 goes through a lot of mountains. Eastern North Carolina is super flat, as is the Eastern part of Virginia.

Heading east to Savannah and then I95 straight north is totally flat. That long-rear end bridge in SC might have problems though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sammus posted:

Huh? Anything that involves taking I40 means that they'll end up on I81. And I-81 goes through a lot of mountains. Eastern North Carolina is super flat, as is the Eastern part of Virginia.

There are lots of mountains around 81 once you get to eastern Tennessee, but there are also lots of flat places between said mountains to travel along.

That said it would probably be feasible to cut north through the tunnel to Kentucky and it'll be completely flat sailing from Lexington all the way to DC.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crankit posted:

As the doc mentioned in the scene, guinea pigs are part of the traditional cuisine of Peru. I actually really liked this idea.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

Yep, sure looks like Daryl carrying a sniper rifle and wearing a police uniform :what:

While we're on the rooftop scene, what were those racks stretched out in the foreground? You can see part of one in the lower right of this shot.

Also is Noah actually the doc's name or are we calling him that because Noah Wyle?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

GrAviTy84 posted:

So I just rewatched this week's ep. I think the thing that doesn't really balance out is definitely why Dawn is in charge. She makes a comment like "I didn't ask for this" which makes me think she's actually working under someone. Maybe Negan? That would explain how such a lovely group of weak cops could hold their own in ATL.

srsly tho. he been hella annoying this season.

She's in charge because she was the only one willing to take out their previous leader when he got sloppy. That's the reason she's in charge, it became an issue of deal with him or keep getting hosed

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Noah was the young guy's name that Beth escaped with.

I think they're sun-drying tomatoes maybe?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

yeah, probably drying food for winter, pretty smart.

SocketWrench posted:

She's in charge because she was the only one willing to take out their previous leader when he got sloppy. That's the reason she's in charge, it became an issue of deal with him or keep getting hosed

sure, I get that, but like, Dawn isn't much stronger than Beth. No reason why she shouldn't be "keeping the officers happy," too.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Dawn deals with all the things that actually require responsibility, while the other guys run sex slave raids, treasure hunt, and shoot zombies all day.

Being in charge isn't a perk, it takes up a big chunk of your allotted rape time.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

moths posted:

Dawn deals with all the things that actually require responsibility

like bitch slapping people for no reason and riding an exercise bike while telling an orderly how to do laundry

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GrAviTy84 posted:

sure, I get that, but like, Dawn isn't much stronger than Beth. No reason why she shouldn't be "keeping the officers happy," too.
First, on TV in general, 110lbs women routinely beat up 225lbs men. Next, continuing on what SocketWrench said, in TWD, physical strength does not determine fighting prowess. How much of your inner zombie you're willing to show does. The scene where Rick eats that guy's throat is the best example, or Carol wearing a dead skin mask. An earlier example was Rick killing Shawn; it's all about who's more "badass". Dawn is more badass than the other cops.

Seriously, look at her. She'd gently caress up Rape Cop.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Cingulate posted:

As the doc mentioned in the scene, guinea pigs are part of the traditional cuisine of Peru. I actually really liked this idea.

I must have missed the part where he said they went and got one from peru, thanks for clearing that up.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Crankit posted:

I must have missed the part where he said they went and got one from peru, thanks for clearing that up.

I think he means that since Beth is Peruvian, it makes sense.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

like bitch slapping people for no reason and riding an exercise bike while telling an orderly how to do laundry

Her management style sucks, but it's the only one they've got.

I'm surprised we didn't get a ham fisted flashback showing the previous guy's fuckups - but since we saw a photo of him, it means they've got an actor for the role so it's pretty likely down the line.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
A lot of times people in photos are just crew members, though.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Why would like 8 people need a leader anyway

ActionHank
Nov 1, 2014

Cingulate posted:

First, on TV in general, 110lbs women routinely beat up 225lbs men. Next, continuing on what SocketWrench said, in TWD, physical strength does not determine fighting prowess. How much of your inner zombie you're willing to show does. The scene where Rick eats that guy's throat is the best example, or Carol wearing a dead skin mask. An earlier example was Rick killing Shawn; it's all about who's more "badass". Dawn is more badass than the other cops.

Seriously, look at her. She'd gently caress up Rape Cop.

um, my wife kicked my rear end when she was 7 mos preggo and I outweigh her by 150 lbs. hormones are a bitch man.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Crankit posted:

It's kind of a passing statement during the whole "guinea pig isn't really a treat" bit. He lets her try a bite, she's like "meh, and he says "eh people in Peru like it" or something to that effect. They call it cuy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea_pig#As_food

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

ActionHank posted:

um, my wife kicked my rear end when she was 7 mos preggo and I outweigh her by 150 lbs. hormones are a bitch man.

Cmon man that was 2 on 1. Not a fair fight

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's kind of a passing statement during the whole "guinea pig isn't really a treat" bit. He lets her try a bite, she's like "meh, and he says "eh people in Peru like it" or something to that effect. They call it cuy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea_pig#As_food
I think his point was that he doesn't believe anybody would keep their single guinea pig throughout the zombie apocalypse.

E: I want to eat guinea pig now.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cingulate posted:

I think his point was that he doesn't believe anybody would keep their single guinea pig throughout the zombie apocalypse.

oh. yeah, I answered that earlier, they have a lot of test animals at hospitals.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

ActionHank posted:

actually the bitch here is you.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GrAviTy84 posted:

oh. yeah, I answered that earlier, they have a lot of test animals at hospitals.
Yeah, I feel silly for pointing this out, but guinea pigs are famous for two things: being used for medical research, and breeding very quickly.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ActionHank posted:

Maybe your heart just wasn't that much into beating the woman carrying your child? :effort:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I want to be a post apocalyptic guinea pig baron.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The whole guinea pig thing is actually quite clever. They can be fed on the vegetable scraps and eat grass, which there is certainly no shortage of.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

The whole guinea pig thing is actually quite clever. They can be fed on the vegetable scraps and eat grass, which there is certainly no shortage of.

the were originally bred as food animals by the Incas and are still a part of peruvian cuisine.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

etalian posted:

the were originally bred as food animals by the Incas and are still a part of peruvian cuisine.

Yeah, exactly. It wasn't just a throwaway "haha look they're eating pets" line, in their situation they couldn't have picked much better (assuming they also have chickens for eggs and meat)

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
My ex told me that cuy tastes like gamey chicken. She lived with an indigenous family in Ecuador for a ~year and they had that every other day.

Apparently you're supposed to suck on the skull for extra flavor. Now, I've heard about sucking on bones to get marrow, but never the skull. :v:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

nutranurse posted:

My ex told me that cuy tastes like gamey chicken. She lived with an indigenous family in Ecuador for a ~year and they had that every other day.

Apparently you're supposed to suck on the skull for extra flavor. Now, I've heard about sucking on bones to get marrow, but never the skull. :v:

idk, sucking on shrimp heads is the best part :getin:

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
They should just kill off Rick. Imagine how shocking that would be and how much it would stir up the dynamics of the group. I really don't think they will be able to do much more with the character after another season or so. He is already the bad rear end leader with a heart of gold at this point.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Killing Rick is like firing John Cena. A sliver of the audience wants it to happen but it would drive literally millions of viewers away.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

They should just kill off Rick. Imagine how shocking that would be and how much it would stir up the dynamics of the group. I really don't think they will be able to do much more with the character after another season or so. He is already the bad rear end leader with a heart of gold at this point.

there's still some stuff yet that he hasn't gone through

I think dying in this post apocalyptic world is way easier than dealing with some poo poo you have to go through when humanity is at its worst

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 6, 2014

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I would give him another season to wrap up his story, and the BAM take him out. It would change up the show, and blow comic book readers minds. Carl and Judith would be around to carry on the Grimes legacy, and Daryl or someone would become defacto leader. It's my silly fan fictiony idea. It will never happen but I think it would be cool.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I would give him another season to wrap up his story, and the BAM take him out. It would change up the show, and blow comic book readers minds. Carl and Judith would be around to carry on the Grimes legacy, and Daryl or someone would become defacto leader. It's my silly fan fictiony idea. It will never happen but I think it would be cool.

devil's advocate, what would be more shocking, killing Rick or killing baby Judith?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

devil's advocate, what would be more shocking, killing Rick or killing baby Judith?

Rick kills baby Judith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
Judith eats Rick.

• Locked thread