Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I just watched my girlfriend beat it for me, getting nothing but poo poo items and stat lowering pills. She's never played BoI before.

gently caress me :(

You'll get better. This is a Hard Game and people usually take a fair amount of time and a great deal of deaths to get good at it.

On the other hand, if not winning a bunch of times is really demoralizing to you, you're probably playing the wrong game (not to mention the wrong genre).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loot
Apr 3, 2013

119-242 Text Count
+59 Contribution Score
+5.9% Cold Resistance

6.7% chance of shitposting
Fires rockets instead of bullets!

J Detan posted:

Oh my god guys, I just got the most ludicrously broken seed as Azazel: 0E4Y EDZM

Spoiler for the craziness: It's nothing but brimstone spam, tons of soul hearts, and pretty flies that protect you from any and all projectiles.

Have fun!

and apparently there's a room outlined like breasts in this seed

Very... lovely.

Escobar Sanchez
Jun 30, 2007
Used the D10 on the haunt and it changed the small ghosts into different things but the boss stayed like this and was invulnerable.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Man bossrushing with Azazel is so fun, he just wipes them all out so quickly.

Escobar Sanchez posted:

Used the D10 on the haunt and it changed the small ghosts into different things but the boss stayed like this and was invulnerable.
Never trust DIO.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Beat moms heart as judas but didnt see any to hell or cathedral portals, what

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Has blue baby been changed?
I keep getting teleported randomly with every other hit. At first I thought I thought I'd picked up an item that did it, but on my second attempt it still happened.

And is there some graphics settings I'm missing? almost all the sprites look really poorly stretchered.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Some of the challenges are actually challenging and fun this time around at least, on the other hand, the tank. Suicide king was weird to get a hang of but was actually decently strong.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
So does the poo poo and blood aesthetic continue throughout the game? Beat three bosses on my first go. I'm kind of underwhelmed. :( Still, free game!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Bogart posted:

So does the poo poo and blood aesthetic continue throughout the game?

Yes, welcome to Binding of Isaac

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Are you supposed to unlock an item for finishing a boss rush? I just did it on Azazel but I only unlocked whatever I would for the regular run (I think), it was the experiment or something? Gold syringe.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Beat moms heart as judas but didnt see any to hell or cathedral portals, what

was that your first heart kill? unless you get lucky with a devil room they aren't guaranteed at first

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
I am good at Isaac, I swear! I got Platinum God on the first one, twice! I have unlocked all the characters in Rebirth, I am having a fun, moderately difficult time.

I have even beaten all the challenges that people were complaining about in this thread without any problems, but holy hell, does anyone have any advice for the beans challenge!? I am having a bitch of a time with it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Holy loving poo poo. Parasite split shots + poison shots + fire shots. :stare:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Ugh, died on Satan with like, two hits left to kill his final form. Fuckin' godlike run too, Cat's Paw plus soul heart familiar plus Brimstone and extra damage.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
So I've been watching a lot of the game (not playing, unfortunately, as I'm in the unlucky demographic stuck with nonfunctional games) and I've had a handful of ideas for synergies where none currently seem to exist - Monstro's Lung+Brimstone, for example, could fire both attacks at once when charged, leaving Brimstone as the primary source of damage but doing more damage via Monstro's Lung to enemies up close.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I unlocked all characters except Maggie hours ago, Maggie remains locked :ohdear:

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Hot tip, next time you find an angel room, bomb the angel.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Holy poo poo Monstro's Lung is so bad. It takes like 5 charged shots to kill friggin boils just because its so slow

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
So I just ruined my run in Shoel. Had an amazing run going, had the Bible on me, and went to Shoel.

Don't use the Bible on Satan. I went from 7 hearts, 5 soul hearts and died, then was reborn again with 1 heart somehow but still, don't use the Bible on Satan

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It seems like they left in some thing that I suspect were just coding shortcomings in the original. I haven't tested it extensively, but it looks like the old "drop a bomb, leave the room, and come back in for a larger blast radius," still works. And you can still easily diagonal your way through those 4-way spikes that look like they're intended to prevent you from getting what's in the middle for free.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
gently caress, moms knife + tammys head, walked out of satan room accidentally after beating the heart and it disappeared.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
Jesus, I think i just used up all mu luck forever in that Azazel run. Brimstone, spoonbender, polyphemus, number one, and like 3 other damage ups, as well as finding guppy's paw and the soul concentrator on the same floor and the goat head too. I just one-shot satan with a seeking beam of piss.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Does anyone know what triggers the star to appear on the character list? I've gotten it on only one character, despite having beaten Sheol on multiple ones, by virtue of having a devil room open up. The only thing I can think of is that it appears when you enter the chest and don't go to any levels after the Womb. But that doesn't make any sense, considering that by getting other marks, I've already done that.
Edit: Wait is it boss rush completion? I just realized I did that on that character.

Migishu posted:

So I just ruined my run in Shoel. Had an amazing run going, had the Bible on me, and went to Shoel.

Don't use the Bible on Satan. I went from 7 hearts, 5 soul hearts and died, then was reborn again with 1 heart somehow but still, don't use the Bible on Satan
That's been in since the original. Or at least as long as Satan's been a boss.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I found something that absorbs 1 hit per room. Aka take no spike room damage and really easy no damage achievements :getin:

In other news, Skatole is still the best item in the game and still annoying how I need to spend half hour playing the loving shell game because it's so good.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 6, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Substandard posted:

I am truly awful at this game. I've played a total of like 10 hours (between the old and new verisons) and I've made it to the depths maybe 4-5 times.

I tend to get destroyed by Frowning Gapers and Hosts. One day I think it's all going to click, but I'm right there with Turtlicious and his -41 kill streak. I'll have to check mine when I get home from work.

Should I just be picking up / trying everything? Should I be looking every potential item / card / etc. up on the wiki? There doesn't really appear to be any other way to know what stuff does.

I'm going to video some runs by me so you noobs can see how a decent amateur plays and can win.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I unlocked all characters except Maggie hours ago, Maggie remains locked :ohdear:

I unlocked Maggie on my first run, and nobody else yet. I'll trade you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh hey, just like meat cubes make a Meat Boy, bandage balls make a Bandage Girl. Neat.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

That boss rush sure is something :stare:

I'm at 2 heart kills now, and both times I got either a god room or devil room to allow me to keep going. Has this been happening to anyone else, or am I getting lucky?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Migishu posted:

Don't worry, you just fell prey to an old, old troll by the developers.

Anyways, so what's the deal with Eden? Apparently he's got completely random stats and I have to get credits to play with him?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
That's just stats, you got (a bit, depending on your items) lucky. I presume the Goat Head will force the door to spawn too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I accidentally picked up monstro's lung again and due to the other items I have it takes literally 6 seconds to charge up my attack. No, it is not worth the wait.

Why :negative:

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

I accidentally picked up monstro's lung again and due to the other items I have it takes literally 6 seconds to charge up my attack. No, it is not worth the wait.

Why :negative:

And it doesn't even work with fetus

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
mom's knife.gif

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Don't worry, you just fell prey to an old, old troll by the developers.

Anyways, so what's the deal with Eden? Apparently he's got completely random stats and I have to get credits to play with him?

Completely random everything (although I think there's a floor, so it can't go into negatives for example) and you get an "Eden Token" every time you kill Mom's Heart.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Do you still get items for beating the game as characters (meaning just Mom's Heart)? I just beat the game as Samson and all it said I unlocked was Ipecac, which unlocked because of the next sequential ending I got.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Does kinda suck that I have to beat the heart so many times, usually it's a really powerful run that'll carry me straight to the chest. :sigh:

Oh well, least there's only one more character I need to beat the heart with (aside from Judas and BB) and he's gonna be flying fun. :getin:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I think I hit a bug with the Goat Head or something. I never unlocked Ending 1, but I've unlocked Ending 2. I think this is because I got the door to Sheol my first time defeating Mom's Heart, and I opted for that instead of opening the chest.

Crosspeice posted:

Does kinda suck that I have to beat the heart so many times, usually it's a really powerful run that'll carry me straight to the chest. :sigh:

Oh well, least there's only one more character I need to beat the heart with (aside from Judas and BB) and he's gonna be flying fun. :getin:

Sheol seems to be available from the beginning now if you're playing well enough or have certain items. So that's something to shoot for on your Mom's Heart runs.

It's harder to really break the game through sheer attrition this time because your hearts max out at 2 rows. I also had a super powerful run I thought would just carry me, and I ended up dying unexpectedly to Satan.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 6, 2014

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've had the luckiest runs today. Managed to get both Mom and the Heart down over the course of two games. I'm not sure I ever managed the heart in the original. Technology was key to the first and shielded tears+Daddy's Love was key to the second.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

Monstro's lung doesn't even work with Mom's Knife, gently caress this item.

CJacobs posted:

Do you still get items for beating the game as characters (meaning just Mom's Heart)? I just beat the game as Samson and all it said I unlocked was Ipecac, which unlocked because of the next sequential ending I got.

Yeah you do, ipecac is Samsons unlock for beating Mom's Heart now I'm pretty sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Woo, I got an adorable little leech that gives me half a heart every time he kills an enemy.