Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
The lion king rules got dammit

I'm watching Gigli and it is such a giant waste of time. Terrivle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

Magnus Gallant posted:

The lion king rules got dammit

I'm watching Gigli and it is such a giant waste of time. Terrivle

I honestly think some of my issues with the 90's Disney movies is that they mostly came out after I was already out of high school. It also doesn't help that I don't care for musicals.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

MadMattH posted:

I honestly think some of my issues with the 90's Disney movies is that they mostly came out after I was already out of high school. It also doesn't help that I don't care for musicals.

Oh I was like 6 when the lion king came out.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

MadMattH posted:

They were also mostly bad.

The best Disney film is still either Dumbo or Sleeping Beauty, I'm not sure which.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My list goes Lion King -> Aladdin -> Ducktales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp -> Tarzan -> Toy Story 3 -> I dunno some other stuff

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Um rescuers down under??

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

My list goes Lion King -> Aladdin -> Ducktales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp -> Tarzan -> Toy Story 3 -> I dunno some other stuff

I forgot to add Aladdin 2 and Aladdin 3 in there after Ducktales, great movies. Lion King 2 can go after Toy Story 3.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Hell yeah Ducktales loving rocks, it really is number 1 for me, but then again I really love Aladin 3: The Prince of Thieves.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Hercules is also quite good.

The Many Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh should also be up there among all time great Disney films.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

K. Waste posted:

It's a Wonderful Life, Au Hasard Balthazar, Pier Paolo Pasolini's Oedipus Rex, Terror of Mechagodzilla, The Wild Child, Days of Heaven, Miller's Crossing, Dazed & Confused, and Moulin Rouge! are all "perfect," so, no.

Dazed and Confused, really? I mean it's a great film but Mitch alone makes it far from perfect. Count how many times he touches his face when he talks to whatshername, the girl that's his age. SO DISTRACTING

e: If you want to talk about a perfect Linklater film you have Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, both of which entirely trump Dazed and Confused.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The Emperor's New Groove is always underrated.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

regulargonzalez posted:

Dazed and Confused, really? I mean it's a great film but Mitch alone makes it far from perfect. Count how many times he touches his face when he talks to whatshername, the girl that's his age. SO DISTRACTING

e: If you want to talk about a perfect Linklater film you have Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, both of which entirely trump Dazed and Confused.

I haven't seen the Before films, but Mitch Kramer constantly touching his face is just another one of those honest things that makes Linklater's film genuine. Everything awkward in that movie works to its benefit, and I consider that a kind of perfection.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

theflyingexecutive posted:

The Emperor's New Groove is always underrated.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The show Salem isn't too bad for killing time in the background. And pretty solid visual effects.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Everybody knows the perfect film is The Lion King. Tell me one loving thing wrong with that movie.

It's really racist.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Now let's have a five page argument about how Scar is cryptogay.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

K. Waste posted:

I think it feels more abrupt because to a certain extent it's meant to be that way. By the time Curtis reaches the front of the train, one fully expects that he's going to follow through on his plan: "Kill them all" and bring the train (somehow) to a safe halt. But then it's revealed that the entire 'rebellion' was staged for the benefit of the train. It basically leaves no other options open other than give up your flesh and destroy the train, and that's part of what makes the film emotionally effective. It's not giving us the satisfaction of a hitch-less revolution where the "silent majority" survive and overcome, and instead suggests that the solution lies beyond our desire to perpetuate ourselves. This is very similar to Children of Men.

I almost hate to bring this up because of the last few pages of the Snowpiercer ending discussion but I know that the revolution ending wasn't going to happen, because at best they were still stuck on a train powered by evil. I'm talking about the fact that all the main characters but one die off-screen and aren't even given the closure of a shot of their dead bodies or whatever. It's like the movie forgot they were there and it was jarring as gently caress.

Also you idiots arguing semantics about polar bears are almost missing the point as hard as MadMattH. The implication that 'life finds a way' is made obvious by the polar bear, yes, but so too is the fact that the only two survivors shown are the only two 'innocent' characters left alive by the end of the film. If the intention was to indicate humanity's bitter and final end I don't think they would've had a convenient and adorable tiny fur jacket for the little boy. For a movie that bludgeons you with it's metaphors and isn't particularly great some of you were really bad about understanding it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Time Dissolver posted:

It's really racist.

Something tells me I dont want to open up this can of worms.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I mean, why did they have all the lions drinking 40's?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Everybody knows the perfect film is The Lion King. Tell me one loving thing wrong with that movie. Also, Die Hard is a close second.

Morning Report. :can:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

computer parts posted:

Morning Report. :can:

That wasn't in my VHS version.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

coyo7e posted:

I wouldn't consider In Bruges to be anything like the other movies you list, and the ending is really really dark.
You don't think the endings to Point Break, 12 Monkeys, and Reservoir Dogs are dark?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jose Oquendo posted:

So is Snowpiercer the new Children of Men? Are goons going to take out an ad for the movie asking for Academy Award consideration?

Children of Men is so much better it's ridiculous. I'm not talking about the plot premise or anything, just that Children of Men was so much better as a film.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
They're very different. Children of Men was a self-serious, mostly OK story with some truly fantastic action movies. Snowpiercer has a wacky premise and some wacky performances. It's dumb, but at least it's dumb in a different way than movies have been trending lately.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I mean, why did they have all the lions drinking 40's?

Lions are always walking like this, but hyenas are always walking like this

*whoopi goldberg laugh*

Fantasia and Alice in Wonderland are the best disney movies. Alice is actually on netflix too.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Snowpiercer had amazing direction, beautiful set design, good acting, and a pretty weak script. It works well if you shut off certain parts of your brain associated with pure logic and focus on it as an emotional allegorical tale. Pretty good movie, seriously stellar direction.

There, I have settled it.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

wafflesnsegways posted:

They're very different. Children of Men was a self-serious, mostly OK story with some truly fantastic action movies. Snowpiercer has a wacky premise and some wacky performances. It's dumb, but at least it's dumb in a different way than movies have been trending lately.

I liked Snowpiercer for the most part, but I think it would have been better if it had more wacky stuff. Tilda Swinton was by far my favorite part, along with the classroom stuff. Whereas a lot of the more serious parts seemed kind of generic and didn't stand out to me much. I don't really care how "smart" a movie is, but a lot of it wasn't all that interesting to watch. I didn't even mind the baby speech near the end that a lot of people hated, for pretty much the same reason as you said. It may have been stupid and not very well-written, but you don't usually hear the protagonist say something like that.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
The trick to Snowpiercer is to approach it like Robocop, not Inception or something. It has subtext and allegory and everything but its strength is just being a really good dumb, fun movie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Great Mouse Detective? It has Vincent Price and Basil Rathbone, and it's on streaming. It really doesn't feel like a Disney movie.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
In what loving world is Children of Men "mostly ok?" That movie's incredible.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

some of the line readings & exposition are real bad but other than that the movie is very good. benefits greatly from being seen in a theater.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Turfahurf posted:

The trick to Snowpiercer is to approach it like Robocop, not Inception or something. It has subtext and allegory and everything but its strength is just being a really good dumb, fun movie.

Robocop is actually a really smart movie and inception is really dumb.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The important thing is Dredd is still up and it's the best movie

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GonSmithe posted:

I feel like it's one of those movies that was an instant classic. I have no idea how Cuaron teased something incredibly visually dense out of a really drab P.D. James mystery. You could watch it with no sound whatsoever and just be floored by it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm trying the Amazon free trial and I take back all my complaints about Netflix's lovely interface. Who thought listing each season of each tv show as a separate thing was a good idea?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

marktheando posted:

I'm trying the Amazon free trial and I take back all my complaints about Netflix's lovely interface. Who thought listing each season of each tv show as a separate thing was a good idea?

Netflix used to do that like 5 years ago.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

it's just ok. it's certainly nowhere near incredible, and I struggle to understand the insane amount of love it gets on these forums.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

stickyfngrdboy posted:

it's just ok. it's certainly nowhere near incredible, and I struggle to understand the insane amount of love it gets on these forums.

Long takes. It's the long takes.

Fake edit: I love that movie though.

Internet Gentleman
Mar 17, 2006

I'm so happy to be here.
Netflix Streaming: Post Your Opinions On Films That Aren't On Netflix Streaming

A MIRACLE posted:

The important thing is Dredd is still up and it's the best movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

stickyfngrdboy posted:

What's not to get?

• Locked thread