Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

G-Whizard posted:

It's definitely the most out there thing that's happened. I assumed the character is crazy but going back and reading the page where they hear it again has me thinking he actually heard it. Very interested to see where they go with it.

They already established zombies are pretty easy to deal with before this, I'm glad they've gone this option rather than war with another group causes them to flee safety again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

moths posted:

It's going to be embedded weirdos, using guts tricks or something.

I wonder if the remaining Saviors were so inept at creating a functioning community over the past two years that they have taken to "guiding" herds of zombies into the safe-zones to spy, kill and steal resources in a very underhanded manner. There must still be animosity between the two groups, it seemed often that many of the Saviors were violent and cruel ex-gang members, including Dwight.

There is also a new cover showing a zombie holding her cut arm in pain and screaming, with Jesus looking rather startled with a bloody sword.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The stupidest thing this book can do is become Crossed so that's what I'm expecting.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm so glad the new people saw straight through Negans poo poo and didn't do something stupid like loose him back on the world.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Kirkman has said over and over that the zombies will never get more intelligent.

I like how there's a sort of a distinct post-outbreak culture forming after the timeskip. That's pretty cool.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Which issue is the last one? I stopped reading around the time Ricks group and the group led by Jesus, and that man with a tiger planned on attacking Negan (which issue was that by the way?)
t

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

You are roughly ten issues behind.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

OldMemes posted:

Kirkman has said over and over that the zombies will never get more intelligent.

I like how there's a sort of a distinct post-outbreak culture forming after the timeskip. That's pretty cool.

My money's on someone having discovered how to hide completely from the zombies, so close they can use them as camoflage, a step up from using guts. The military, maybe?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The stupidest thing this book can do is become Crossed so that's what I'm expecting.

If it became as good as Wish You Were here, that would be a considerable step up.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

I'm surprised no one's thought that the guy is just crazy and hearing voices. Wouldn't be the first TWD character to hear voices.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

bigmike posted:

I'm surprised no one's thought that the guy is just crazy and hearing voices. Wouldn't be the first TWD character to hear voices.

I'm thinking that this is for sure what's going to happen...but why even bother trying to have us believe it is?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's basically what happened with Lori on the telephone, so there's precedent, but I'm leaning towards some kind of zombie-impersonators.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been

moths posted:

That's basically what happened with Lori on the telephone, so there's precedent, but I'm leaning towards some kind of zombie-impersonators.

I'm going to go with a group/community that uses groups of zombies to travel harm free basically anywhere. I bet they're part of a bigger community and out searching for other survivors.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Liked the latest issue, feel that the series is really good and well-written again, has all the small subtleties and details that make the world believable: botched attempts at re-inventing alcohol, the home made chess set, a massive chicken roast, abandoned farmlands, jokes about the disappearance of television.

Like the new Dante character and his flirty histrionics with Maggie.

Ending was shocking and raises many questions: Andrea is basically assaulted in her own home by Magna's group to be "questioned."

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I'm not so sure I like the reveal in this issue. I wasn't at all surprised and it seems like it will be real easy to go into another Saviors style arc. I'm actually guessing the people dressing up as zombies are the Saviors that ran away or whatever, and they'll try to break Negan out.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been
Nah man, think an entirely different group that is probably nomadic and has finally gotten near one of the communities. This next arc will probably have them get close to the hilltop and start eating a few people here and there before actually coming out with the whole, "hey we're here to eat everyone and take your poo poo, maybe wear your skin". It'll be different than Negans, "I just want your loving poo poo" style. I'm seeing this one as going for the super gore and shock factor. He has to top Glen's bashed head.

Risky
May 18, 2003

moths posted:

Wow, right on the money considering the date of your post.

Just read the new issue and drat if it hasnt gotten me excited about these new possible enemies.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The amazing thing is how nobody have thought of doing this until now. We saw that if you have zombies or smell like a zombie you are safe. It is just a more extreme way of covering yourself in their blood and guts.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

The amazing thing is how nobody have thought of doing this until now. We saw that if you have zombies or smell like a zombie you are safe. It is just a more extreme way of covering yourself in their blood and guts.

Not to mention its the perfect camouflage to hide from the large number of psychopathic still alive humans left in the world.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

So really 133 is more of the same from last issue. However now Andrea is getting friendly with the new people who stopped her in the house to talk to her.

I kind of feel like this is setting up that those new people survived so long because they were part of the crew of dudes dressed up as zombies and they are working together somehow. I dunno I kind of hope I'm wrong though, but it feels like a Kirkman angle.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

therealjon_ posted:

So really 133 is more of the same from last issue. However now Andrea is getting friendly with the new people who stopped her in the house to talk to her.

I kind of feel like this is setting up that those new people survived so long because they were part of the crew of dudes dressed up as zombies and they are working together somehow. I dunno I kind of hope I'm wrong though, but it feels like a Kirkman angle.

I think they will make you think that, then just go with them being unaware of them. The fact he has added so many new characters means its almost time for a culling and Rick and co back on the road.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The underpass guys are about to find out that they're loving with the wrong dude, and that wrong dude has a sword.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah especially with the fact that apparently it's very easy to take down someone who's on a horse with a sword. Eh.. I like where this story is heading, but seriously it's a guy on a horse with a sword.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I don't like that the zombie-people are turning out to be cartoon villains."LEARN TO FEAR US!" "NOW YOU DIE!" I didn't really like the Governor,the Hunters or Negan because they seemed to be basically mentally-ill psychopaths with no nuance.

IMO the best, albeit short-lived, villains were guys like Dexter or Martinez. Also liked Hershel, Abraham, and the priest when they had feuds with Rick as they all had good motivations to cross him or challenge him.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
Judging by the way the mystery people talk it wouldn't surprise me if they're foreigners.

As for the new group of people that opened up the post time jump story my money is on Government Bunker people.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
So, I stopped reading TWD about a year and a half ago because a) apathy and b) that dude with the tiger was really bonkers. Should I get back into it? Are people hot or cold on the series right now?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I think it's in a good place right now.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

zfleeman posted:

So, I stopped reading TWD about a year and a half ago because a) apathy and b) that dude with the tiger was really bonkers. Should I get back into it? Are people hot or cold on the series right now?

I think binge reading it will be a lot better. As of right now it's in a very interesting place with a pretty cool new threat.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I guess it's implied that the military is gone for whatever reason? Seems like there would be a good contingent of military survivors unless zombies used guns by accident or something and they would have tried to take back DC or something

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The zombie virus first targeted people who could have easily prevented the total and immediate collapse of society, pretty much anyone who could have done anything worthwhile just got offed immediately, only bumbling fools and psychopathic rapists survived.

Unfunny jokes aside, it is implied that the military got run over early on when the Governor and his crew raid an abandoned national guard base.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
We've also only seen a relatively small part of the Walking Dead "universe."

It'd be pretty funny if the rest of the country is mostly enclaves of survivors watched over by military crews and Rick's group just didn't find out about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wanderer posted:

We've also only seen a relatively small part of the Walking Dead "universe."

It'd be pretty funny if the rest of the country is mostly enclaves of survivors watched over by military crews and Rick's group just didn't find out about it.

It's kinda like how in Fallout, there's always the possibility that the US is the only place that's a post-apocalyptic shithole, and the rest of the world is fine.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The beginning is a fog but didn't they go to the CDC like the show and find out things were over run?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

It's kinda like how in Fallout, there's always the possibility that the US is the only place that's a post-apocalyptic shithole, and the rest of the world is fine.

That's my favorite aspect of both Fallout and The Walking Dead

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
No. Based on what they saw in Atlanta, they know cities are complely overrun with the Dead.

The CDC was in the TV show only and they state that the entire world is hosed.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

If you go deeper into the lore, especially with the Bible, the that's not really likely. The world is pretty much inhabitable for the first few years or so after the bombs fall.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, one of Sawyer's dream games is apparently based in the middle of European conflict for oil and water, where you scavenge for supplies and repair your stuff as you slog along in the middle of a huge war.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Timeless Appeal posted:

If you go deeper into the lore, especially with the Bible, the that's not really likely. The world is pretty much inhabitable for the first few years or so after the bombs fall.

I've heard conflicting accounts from different people who worked on different games in the series, so I'll just keep imagining it as a possibility.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Europe in Fallout is at least hosed because they went nuclear before the US did.

e: And Raul talks about Mexico City burning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I think what happened to Carl... he loses it after those two bully kids surprise attack and seriously injure him while beating up Sophie, and ends up bludgeoning them to death with a shovel,similar to the manner in which Negan did in Glenn.
...in this issue was long-coming but it's really the next logical step for the long-term story-line. I think the series will be getting really interesting again because its dealing with a serious moral crisis, instead of tired good vs evil. Its going to be even more interesting if the Whisperers turn out to be paranoid and mentally-damaged instead of purely cruel and unforgiving gangsters, they came off as slightly more human in this issue when they were put in a compromising situation.

• Locked thread