Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Whoever said MOS works as a Supervillian origin story was spot on.

Or anti-hero, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lurdiak posted:

You mean the one where he destroys a US satellite and tells the government that he's going to do whatever the gently caress he wants and they can't stop him?

The one where he says "I'm here to help and I'm on your side but if you try to hunt me down driven by your own fear you'll fail"? Yeah, that one. gently caress yes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

You mean the one where he destroys a US satellite and tells the government that he's going to do whatever the gently caress he wants and they can't stop him?

I don't remember that part in MoS but do remember that being the entire Iron Man 2 movie.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Madkal posted:

I don't remember that part in MoS but do remember that being the entire Iron Man 2 movie.

To be fair, no one pretends that Iron Man isn't an rear end in a top hat.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Killing people is a very important learning experience.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

BiggerBoat posted:

He wasn't Superman at that point. He was Clark Kent.

That's pretty much the point of the entire film: evolving from Clark Kent into the Man of Steel and finding out what that means. It was basically 'Superman Begins'. When he kills Zod and does all that other poo poo everyone's bitching about as not being fundamental to the character, he's not Superman yet. He's a fish out of water alien orphan who doesn't know his role, how he fits in on earth and has yet to find his calling.

He's Superman in the last scene.

There is no "Bruce Wayne is my secret identify" dynamic with Superman. He is not pretending to be someone in either role. He is essentially just a really good and decent person who sometimes writes hard-hitting articles and sometimes punches super-villains. The guy we see throughput the movie is the same guy we see in the last scene.

The problem is that him allowing someone, anyone, to die is antithetical to the whole idea of who he is and what he is meant to represent and the fact that they are trying to show his origin doesn't offer any kind of excuse.

It would be like having a Captain America origin story where he dabbles with fascism and racism for a bit before deciding to fight for Uncle Sam. Sure, in this example he might be Captain America in the end, but it sullies the whole idea that he is almost innately good and all the super-power does is give him a means to express this through righteous punching of Nazis. Steve Rogers being a weak bullied fish-out of water doesn't act as an excuse in that scenario because he, like Clark, is always supposed to have known and stood up for what is right. Instead they nailed it in the movies. That scene in training where the non-serumed Steve jumps on top of a hand-grenade is the perfect example of the attitude Clark should have had in MoS.

It's even worse with Superman where a large part of his wholesomeness is meant to come from the manner in which he was raised, by the kindly couple who take in the strange orphan baby because it is the right thing to do. Not the awful dad who tells him not to care for others.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Maybe if he had been taught from an early age that human lives are valuable he would have handled Zod differently.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Senor Candle posted:

Maybe if he had been taught from an early age that human lives are valuable he would have handled Zod differently.

Sadly he was raised by a paranoid Kryptonian supremacist.

Pa would have loved Zod.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BiggerBoat posted:

The one where he says "I'm here to help and I'm on your side but if you try to hunt me down driven by your own fear you'll fail"? Yeah, that one. gently caress yes.

And this is why I very much dislike this movie. That's not a hero. That's an rear end in a top hat.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
My biggest problem with the tornado scene wasn't that Superman let him died but that Pa Kent faded into the tornado.

Like he literally just turned into a force ghost and disappear into the twister.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CelticPredator posted:

And this is why I very much dislike this movie. That's not a hero. That's an rear end in a top hat.

Superman has to be a saint, because if he's not, you're constantly afraid he's going to turn into the Plutonian,

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

mr.capps posted:

My biggest problem with the tornado scene wasn't that Superman let him died but that Pa Kent faded into the tornado.

Like he literally just turned into a force ghost and disappear into the twister.
Clearly they were setting up Red Tornado's origin story for when he appears in the Justice League movie

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Clearly they were setting up Red Tornado's origin story for when he appears in the Justice League movie

Now I am imagining the Red Tornado constantly trying to talk the Justice League out of helping people because "what if they find out we exist :ohdear:" which would be hilarious.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
My gripe with Man of Steel is the lack of cool bullet-time sequences. Smallville used to do that stuff all the time. It did it so much that "Object breaking on Clark in slow-motion" was part of Smallville Bingo. The recent episode of The Flash has one of the best super-speed saving people scenes ever committed to film.

Even Superman Returns had cool scenes of Superman using a variety of his powers to save people while time seems to be frozen.

Man of Steel missed out on that aspect of being Superman, which is dumb.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair, no one pretends that Iron Man isn't an rear end in a top hat.

also, no one likes Iron Man 2

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I like the part where Whiplash whips the car in half.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Escape Addict posted:

My gripe with Man of Steel is the lack of cool bullet-time sequences. Smallville used to do that stuff all the time. It did it so much that "Object breaking on Clark in slow-motion" was part of Smallville Bingo. The recent episode of The Flash has one of the best super-speed saving people scenes ever committed to film.

Even Superman Returns had cool scenes of Superman using a variety of his powers to save people while time seems to be frozen.

Man of Steel missed out on that aspect of being Superman, which is dumb.

Exactly! When they said Snyder was directing this poo poo, I was so pumped for hella slow-and-then-fast-and-then-slow-again-motion scenes and we got exactly zick-dack.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I like the part where Whiplash whips the car in half.

and I like all the bits with Sam Rockwell, but let's face facts.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

theflyingorc posted:

also why would an actor be upset that he had to do a monologue to an unseen other character, that's a super normal thing for an actor to do?

I also don't fully understand or appreciate the issue but I'm also not going to second guess Ian McKellen when he says that a particular aspect of filmmaking sucks. If a 50+ year stage veteran with 100+ movie credits and a knighthood for acting says something ain't right then I that's good enough for me.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

if you wouldn't risk your life for your dog you're a lovely dog owner

If you'd put your family at risk of funeral debt and remove a bread-maker for a dog, you're a lovely husband, father, and person.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's a misconception he was going back for the dog. He actually had secret bars of gold in the car, which the dog was lying on top of. Jonathan Kent was obsessed with gold, and it was the one secret he kept even from Clark. He didn't want to be saved because he knew it would mean he would lose his gold in the tornado, he'd rather die.

They cut out a lot of scenes of him looking at his secret stash.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Anora posted:

If you'd put your family at risk of funeral debt and remove a bread-maker for a dog, you're a lovely husband, father, and person.

but not a lovely dog owner

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't even remember why the dog couldn't just go to them on its own. Was it a legless dog?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I don't even remember why the dog couldn't go to them on his own. Was it a legless dog?

legless dogs need the most rescuing

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

BrianWilly posted:

I don't even remember why the dog couldn't just go to them on its own. Was it a legless dog?

I think it was in the back of the car?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He did that poo poo to the dog too.

And he raised a lovely Superman, so that dog is hosed when Darksied arrives. You know what his first act will be after chilling on Clark's sofa?

Killing that dog.

And Clark won't save him because Pa Kent said "Maybe."

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

My wife actually likes Iron Man 2 more than Iron Man 3. I found this out a couple of nights ago when I was watching IM3 with her and she said to me, "You know this is a bad movie in the Iron Man series." I was so taken aback that I couldn't answer, because I really like IM3, but I guess there are a lot of people on the Internet who hate it.

Then again, I'm a comic nerd and she's only into the MCU. I often wonder how different the mindsets are between comic MCU viewers and non-comic ones.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sever

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Am I crazy or is Big Hero 6 coming out tomorrow and no one is talking about it in the movie thread?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

2 and 3 both suck imo

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Auritech posted:

My wife actually likes Iron Man 2 more than Iron Man 3. I found this out a couple of nights ago when I was watching IM3 with her and she said to me, "You know this is a bad movie in the Iron Man series." I was so taken aback that I couldn't answer, because I really like IM3, but I guess there are a lot of people on the Internet who hate it.

Then again, I'm a comic nerd and she's only into the MCU. I often wonder how different the mindsets are between comic MCU viewers and non-comic ones.

Iron Man 3 was my second or third date with my current girlfriend, so we (me being a comic fan, her being more MCU) both like it a lot

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don't know, he did forget the dog in the back of the car in the first place.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
MoS is a really flawed film, but I still really enjoyed it.

It's really dour and its humor is quite fleeting, but its there.

Things I really liked
- Amy Adams as Lois Lane; actually having agency and smarts was a nice change. Also liked the Planet staff as well
- Russel Crowe as Jor-El. Also, Lara-El actually has lines
- Michael Shannon and his crazy eyes and scenery chewing
- The whole look of Kyptonian stuff; it was like Giger without the penises
- They really gave a sense of how powerful Superman and the other Kryptonians were. They are fighting in Smallville, and A-10s are shooting at them with weapons that turn a tank inside out in a matter of seconds, and they're ignoring it completely.
- Superman actually fights, not just flys and lifts.

Things I didn't like
- Superman's costume needed to be broken up somehow. Needed the red briefs, or at least a belt.
- Pretty much all the flashbacks, save the one where Clark just wants to be Pa Kent's son.
- Clark smashing that guys Truck. That seemed really petty, and should be above Clark, even before finding his inner Superman. I could see someone like Wolverine doing that, but not Clark.

Things I don't know what to think about
- that little tuft of hair that pokes out of Sups collar. Didn't the costume people notice that?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

mr.capps posted:

I think it was in the back of the car?

Krypto can open car doors, which will be revealed in the beginning of MoS2, along with Pa Kent alive having been saved by Krypto.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

ummmm

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

twistedmentat posted:

There is literally a prison of flying penises.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Kal also gets shot out of a giant penis towards Earth.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

2 and 3 both suck imo

I wouldn't even say 2 sucks, but it's pretty weakass compared to most other MCU films. 2 and 3 are trying to be directed by Jon Favreau and failing, essentially. Also, the first one managed to have Tony learn lessons of humility and have pathos and be likeable while still having his life be a ridiculous rock star fantasy, and the sequels only really did the last part and added in some (expected but disappointing) Randian subtext.

It's a shame, they got it so right when they had his own missile blow up in his face in the first one.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Auritech posted:

My brother likes IM2 more than IM3 because Tony and Rhodey beat all the drones and Whiplash. Like, under their own power without having to be bailed out by anyone. I honestly like all the MCU movies but I have had great big debates with my brother about both IM1 and IM3 because Tony wins the day via deus ex machina (the arc reactor explosion in 1 and Pepper in 3) and his stance on superhero movies is that a movie about a superhero should feature the superhero actually winning against the villain.

(Which is a stance I can kind of understand, but if the movie provides a clever workaround then I don't mind it as much)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j7lezDWh4M

Watching it again, it's actually worse than all the complaints here. I don't get it.

• Locked thread