Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

It's good that the Jeremy/Josh Cold War is going to go on a little bit longer, it's entertaining stuff. The winning side of that will be able to coast for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hahaha, that was the most selfish exit speech ever.

Just about ever sentence started with "I".

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Ghostpilot posted:

Julie is certainly one of the more selfish people to have played the game. Jeff was remarkably easy on her considering his stance on quitters.

Could be because one of his main issues with quitters is how hard so many people try to get on the show and you give up that opportunity. Whereas with Julie, she probably didn't care at all about being on Survivor. It was probably a case of Probst/casting being like "we want John Rocker on the show - hey John Rocker, make your girlfriend do this with you."

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Ghostpilot posted:

Julie is certainly one of the more selfish people to have played the game. Jeff was remarkably easy on her considering his stance on quitters.

I think Jeff appreciated the opportunity to relive his talk show glory days so he forgot about what exactly was happening

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
At least when Colton and Lindsay quit last year they were close to being voted out. Julie wasn't really on anyone's radar and was easily on track to make it to the end as a goat. Heck, while it would've been a long shot after the trail mix, she could have even won a bitter jury against an overplaying Jeremy and Missy.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mancalamania posted:

she could have even won a bitter jury against an overplaying Jeremy and Missy.

This is like saying Sherry could have won a bitter jury against Cochran

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Survivor: San Juan Del Sur - Unapproachably Hygienic

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Well that was a waste of time.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Poque posted:

That's fine, though, at least it's something more than "i was divorced ya'll. THREE TIMES" She's showing a manipulative side, for better or for worse, and it makes for better tv.

Guess you missed the shot of the tribe talking about something else like the trail mix, while Muffin was sitting next to Baylor saying "I was divorced when she was born"

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
John and Jackylyn are so dumb if this is the time they decide to jump alliances.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Maybe it was just the editing, but it was really weird that Josh was the only person in his alliance trying to do anything to salvage their numbers. It's not clear that Wes, Keith, and Alec are even aware of the trouble they're in, and if Reed's plan consisted of anything other than "hope Josh wins back Baylor" we certainly didn't see it.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
I thought the first 40 minutes were pretty good, even though the end of the episode sucked. There's so much crap going on (in normal episodes) with Exile and Reward Challenge and Immunity Up for Grabs and Twelve Penetrating Questions from Jeff Probst that they forget to focus on the social game. Then you get maybe 7 minutes of frantic misdirection between commercials.

I even like the awkward silences better than the cobbled-together audio that never gives time for a breath.

paperchaseguy fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 6, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

mancalamania posted:

Maybe it was just the editing, but it was really weird that Josh was the only person in his alliance trying to do anything to salvage their numbers. It's not clear that Wes, Keith, and Alec are even aware of the trouble they're in, and if Reed's plan consisted of anything other than "hope Josh wins back Baylor" we certainly didn't see it.

They've been doing a lovely job of showing players working their strategy(or even talking about it in confessionals) unless it directly affects that episode's tribal. Like the first words out of Josh's mouth tonight were about how badly he needed Jeremy to get voted off and they never bothered showing anything from Josh before this that might hint that he felt so strongly about Jeremy. They probably do it to make the show more unpredictable or whatever but I'd rather see peoples' strategies displayed more openly all season.

Same thing with Keith, I had no idea that he'd feel this betrayed by Missy cuz they never really showed anything to indicate that they were supposed to be tight allies.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 6, 2014

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

savinhill posted:

John and Jackylyn are so dumb if this is the time they decide to jump alliances.

Ignore this if you mean it's only dumb now that Julie quit.

Because otherwise, not really. If they stick with Jeremy, they'll think they're in great shape in his alliance because 2 pairs = 4, which outnumbers Natalie/Jeremy/Julie. And there's no way Jeremy lets that group stay around until F7 when the alliance has to target itself and he goes home because the 3 singles are outnumbered. He'll recruit the 2 remaining singles in at F9, and we'll get a 5-4 #Blindside with one of the pairs going home. After that he'd be in great shape as part of the 3-2 majority within his new alliance. Vote out Missy and with Josh gone he may even be lucky enough that Baylor will understand why he had to get rid of her mom, leaving him safe until at least F5.

The editing tonight had a couple things that seem like foreshadowing that Baylor will eventually split from her mom, but I'm expecting it to be an emotional/rebellious decision rather than a smart one.

It's funny because I think that million dollars was Jeremy's to lose if Josh hadn't convinced Jon/Jaclyn to vote with them. If Jon/Jaclyn end up waffling back to Jeremy's alliance next week and they vote out Josh or Reed, I can't wait to hear Jeremy being a baby about how Julie's quitting might cost him a million dollars when in reality it saved him. :laugh:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

That episode loving sucked. I feel blue-balled, like I watched a non elimination leg on amazing race.

I could stand the lack of tribal on a normal vote, but the first vote after merge is, like, the MOST interesting and important vote every year.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

This season is boring. Half the people look like they aren't playing.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
because half the people aren't.

I'm not sure how exactly they're so hungry when it looks like they just sleep all day instead of doing something to get food.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I want Baylor to Ciera her mom so bad

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

TMMadman posted:

And she didn't get called out for quitting because she was caught hoarding food.

KEITH! WINS! IMMUNITY!
AND! IT DOESN'T! MATTER!

I wonder if he's told Wes about the idol in his pocket.

Mercaptopropyl posted:

The editing tonight had a couple things that seem like foreshadowing that Baylor will eventually split from her mom, but I'm expecting it to be an emotional/rebellious decision rather than a smart one.

Wait, who's Muffin.

Baylor's cheerleading past shone through this week: "I want Josh to like me"

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Robnoxious posted:

RHAP tonight will be probably be just as worthless as tonight's show it seem.

Cesternino is uncharacteristically pissed off. Usually he will find something good to say about the player voted out but he is really going at Julie for quitting. I wonder if she'll even call him for the scheduled interview on Thursday.
He's also taking a few shots at Probst for letting her off so easy.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 6, 2014

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

Cesternino is uncharacteristically pissed off. Usually he will find something good to say about the player voted out but he is really going at Julie for quitting. I wonder if she'll even call him for the scheduled interview on Thursday.
He's also taking a few shots at Probst for letting her off so easy.
Deservedly so.
Rob is doing what Jeff didn't because Probst might be afraid the Wrath Of Rocker raining blows upon his head.
Jeff let Julie the Quitter off way too easy.
Especially a quit before a TC.

Jeff hates quitters but you'd never know that with the kid gloves send off Julie got.

Psychotic Puggle
May 21, 2012

When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash!

TMMadman posted:

I didn't even bother watching that part. Quitters get put on "ignore".

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well, Jeff admits they knew Julie was a quit-risk and cast her anyway, so that's probably why he went easy.

"If they quit, it’s on us. We either missed it, or in the case of Julie we anticipated it but put them on anyway."

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 6, 2014

Genetic squares
Feb 17, 2009

It's all going square

Fast Luck posted:

Well, Jeff admits they new Julie was a quit-risk and cast her anyway, so that's probably why he went easy.

"If they quit, it’s on us. We either missed it, or in the case of Julie we anticipated it but put them on anyway."

They probably hoped John Rocker to beast the challenges with his tribe and her to be voted off in retaliation or something.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

No tribal ended up making that a really anticlimactic and lovely episode to be honest :(

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

Well, Jeff admits they new Julie was a quit-risk and cast her anyway, so that's probably why he went easy.

Wow. We think someone will quit but we'll cast them anyway. You have got to be kidding me.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mercaptopropyl posted:

Wow. We think someone will quit but we'll cast them anyway. You have got to be kidding me.

It's not like it's unprecedented, they brought Colton back.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Poque posted:

It's not like it's unprecedented, they brought Colton back.

It's not surprising to me, just makes me mad to be open about not caring. If they can be that way about quitting, it's no surprise how bad the casting has been on a lot of the recent seasons.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

When you have the chance to get JOHN ROCKER on your show, you make whatever sacrifices have to be made.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
It's hard to believe they went from last season where nearly everyone was either a) interesting b) a good player c) terrible but humorous -- to a season where everyone's either bland or dumb as rocks, or both. The only personality is/was Jeremy and John Rocker. At least Rocker wanted to play the game, and caused interesting things to happen. Was the last Blood vs Water this bad? All I remember is gently caress you Culpepper.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

nexous posted:

It's hard to believe they went from last season where nearly everyone was either a) interesting b) a good player c) terrible but humorous -- to a season where everyone's either bland or dumb as rocks, or both. The only personality is/was Jeremy and John Rocker. At least Rocker wanted to play the game, and caused interesting things to happen. Was the last Blood vs Water this bad? All I remember is gently caress you Culpepper.

It wasn't nearly as bland as this, and at least it had some interesting B grade returnees; but it was pretty bland and distinctly weaker than the seasons either side of it (Which can't be helped since Caramoan is pretty much the best thing ever, and Cagayan was pretty drat close). I'd put it above One World and this season, about on par with Nicaragua, but below Redemption Island, South Pacific and Philippines.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Mercaptopropyl posted:

Ignore this if you mean it's only dumb now that Julie quit.

Because otherwise, not really. If they stick with Jeremy, they'll think they're in great shape in his alliance because 2 pairs = 4, which outnumbers Natalie/Jeremy/Julie. And there's no way Jeremy lets that group stay around until F7 when the alliance has to target itself and he goes home because the 3 singles are outnumbered. He'll recruit the 2 remaining singles in at F9, and we'll get a 5-4 #Blindside with one of the pairs going home. After that he'd be in great shape as part of the 3-2 majority within his new alliance. Vote out Missy and with Josh gone he may even be lucky enough that Baylor will understand why he had to get rid of her mom, leaving him safe until at least F5.

I think the chances of them being targeted are much higher, and would happen earlier, on the Josh team. There's really noone there that they have any strong ties to. Wes and Alec have been tight with Josh from the get-go, Keith feels betrayed by them after the latest tribal and knows John voted for him once before that too, and Reed is basically an extension of Josh game-wise. It's also telling that neither Josh, Wes or Alec even brought up the idea of approaching Jacylyn for flip talk.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

nexous posted:

It's hard to believe they went from last season where nearly everyone was either a) interesting b) a good player c) terrible but humorous -- to a season where everyone's either bland or dumb as rocks, or both. The only personality is/was Jeremy and John Rocker.

It was never going to be a strategic barnburner, but I think this season had kind of a suboptimal boot order for entertainment sake, too. Most of the early boots were either bigger personalities or more intent on playing the game harder. I guess part of that could be the editing - things don't seem to get included in the show unless it's going to be immediately relevant to who gets voted off.

I understand the instincts to compare this to One World (and if Josh beats out Jeremy, even more so), but I feel way more positively about this season even if it's kind of boring. I didn't care about anyone that season and this season more or less everyone is...fine.

Wes and Keith are pretty likable but nothing noteworthy.
Missy has been kind of a dud until this week, where I thought she handled Baylor's waffling really well and her reactions to Julie were pretty good. Baylor has had stretches where she's been "in the game", but her constantly going back to Josh — despite him immediately voting for her and jeopardizing her game when they were fast allies — is baffling. This pair has the most interesting dynamics to me, even though individually they've not been great.
Alec is basically a watered down version of his brother.
Jon is a giant moron but is pretty fun, and Jaclyn seems to be slightly less of a moron and is trying her hardest. Jon buying into an iffy plan and Jaclyn acting skeptical about it seems to be a recurring storyline, so next week could be interesting.
Natalie has moments where she shows signs of being a bigger character and someone playing hard, but she disappears a lot. I'm kind of surprised they haven't focused more on her and Jeremy as a duo, because they seem really tight.
Reed is a non-entity. Josh is like Kim Spradlin, but not as dominant and maybe with less of a personality?
I like Jeremy, but I could see his general sourness turning people off considering all the airtime he gets. He's also not exactly a "master strategist," even if he's playing hard (although I don't really care about that).

They're pretty much all vaguely likable but unremarkable. In that respect, it building up to this Jeremy vs. Josh merge standoff is pretty lucky from a storyline perspective, but there could be a pretty uneventful run of episodes when one side gets the upper hand. They might actually be better off with the quit, extending the suspense one more episode.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

Julie's exit interview on RHAP is exactly what I was expecting so far. Whining about how "it would have been nice to have someone bringing me fresh crab in the mornings like Jon did for Jaclyn." like she got cheated out of the normal survivor experience.

I don't understand why CBS and casting think we need celebrities on the show. I don't know a single person who doesn't already watch every season that decided to watch it because John Rocker or any other celebrity was on that season.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
Was this the first time a quitter got their final words aired? They usually just show deleted scenes at the end when someone quits.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Rocker was the most interesting part of this season and a good casting choice. The problem was they should have found a relative of his or something instead of Julie. I think this would have also led to more interesting dynamics as well, Julie chose to be with him years after the racist stuff happened and is right by his side when he does the "Speak English!" Stuff years later, and it would have been more interesting if he was put on with someone that loved him but was embarrassed by and didn't support his bigoted and more bombastic views and actions.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I think a better choice would be someone who isn't known nationally as a bigot

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Mercaptopropyl posted:

Julie's exit interview on RHAP is exactly what I was expecting so far. Whining about how "it would have been nice to have someone bringing me fresh crab in the mornings like Jon did for Jaclyn." like she got cheated out of the normal survivor experience.

I don't understand why CBS and casting think we need celebrities on the show. I don't know a single person who doesn't already watch every season that decided to watch it because John Rocker or any other celebrity was on that season.

There's more, but off the top of my head here's two sports people who never watched Survivor before:

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/10/9/6950449/survivor-recap-john-rocker-episode-3
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/08/jeff-kent-on-survivor-recap-by-the-time-obama-takes-it/

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Julie is a sucky, self absorbed quitter. Nuff said. I don't care that Probst didn't rip her apart because he got her to admit she was being a bigger baby than a kid at camp and that she was really quitting because she was already losing. To me that's more embarrassing than being brow beaten or the bashing session with the tribe after. And yeah, I'm willing to buy the idea that they knew Julie was a flake going in so they kind of blame themselves for bringing her on for Rocker. Yet another reason to dislike Rocker.

But I thank her for saving Jeremy. I was super stressed because losing Jeremy this early kind of felt like a death blow. And it's incredibly frustrating to watch this part of the game basically be Magooed by Jon's whims. Jon doesn't seem to grasp that being the swing vote multiple weeks doesn't make you the guy in control of the game. It just gives you the opportunity to gently caress your game up and piss off people, especially if you keep swinging back and forth. Jaclyn seems to vaguely get that but isn't pushing against Jon when he does a 180 and decides his new path is the necessary road.

I don't care for Jon. He's a dummy and he almost cost me the player I'm most enjoying.

And can anyone explain to me why Baylor and Josh both feel that Baylor owes him so much? Didn't Josh vote for her twice? Wasn't he part of a guys alliance that had her targeted? Did I miss something or is Baylor just that weirdly gullible and Josh that deludedly manipulative? I'd respect it if he said he was just manipulating her but his whole "I'm hurt" thing sure made it seem like he actually thought Baylor owed him everything.

TMMadman posted:

I don't know, it's made me actually dislike her. I didn't really have any real feelings for her one way or the other, but now I feel like she is just kind pushy.

Yeah, this episode kind of told me that Missy has kind of crummy maternal instincts.

Baylor: I feel really guilty about betraying Josh.
Missy: Just do what I tell you to and don't talk to,anyone without mommy.

Julie: I feel really...
Missy: Bad? Icky? Done? Yeah, I get that. And it's worse for you because you're alone!
Julie: I feel like quitting.
Missy: Well don't do that yet, let us use you first.

Missy doesn't seem to have much in the way of strong skills when it comes to reading someone and manipulating them in a subtle or effective way. The way the editing went it almost seemed like Missy basically gave Julie the final push where Jeremy and Natalie have talked her down the last few episodes. If Julie had chosen a different confident I don't think she would have walked right there.

But she's an interesting character and one of the few people clearly actively playing. It really seems like Jeremy, Josh, Missy, and Magoo-Jon are the driving forces right now while Natalie, Baylor, and Jaclyn kind of lightly push and the rest forget there's a game going. I was open to the idea that there was subtle game play happening but I think Jeremy saying Josh was the only person in his alliance playing the game might have been pretty spot on. Reed, Wes, Keith, and Alec seem like giant wastes of space. At least Jon, Jaclyn, Missy,and Baylor are trying.

Oh, and I totally think it's dumb for Jon and Jaclyn to go with Josh over Jeremy. Jeremy's group is a mess and hugely dependent on the Jon/Jaclyn/Missy/Baylor alliance even before Julie left. Josh on the other hand has strong relationships with Wes and Baylor and virtually no relationship with Jon or Jaclyn so that sets the two of them up to easily be on the bottom of that couples deal. If Jon thinks they're going to go down to 8 without anyone making a move or forming a sub alliance he's stupid, and there's already the bulk of Josh's original alliances in there. It's a bad, bad move IMO. And it's going to cost us Jeremy and Natalie (who I keep waiting to break out and feel like she could if Jeremy goes next week and she's forced to play desperate and alone). Meanwhile I bet Josh keeps Alec around longer than Jon.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Welp, that episode did nothing to dispel the idea this is a lovely season. Only silver lining is that two of the only interesting people this season skate by another week thanks to Julie taking the bullet.

Not much else to say. Same deal as last week, hopefully Josh or someone breaks out as a quality player cause drat there is a lot of chaff in this cast.

• Locked thread