Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Count Bleck posted:

Scrounge around in a Walmart or a Target first.

You can actually get acceptable prices for precons there.

About a month or two ago I just straight-up found a Mind Seize at target, because there were some precon a stocked in the toy section as well as the card wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

mehall posted:

Since we're talking about Un-Set, after a discussion with my friends today, I asked MaRo about Un-Set Jaya Ballard. He either didn't get, or deliberately skirted, my question, but the idea was: Have an Un-set Jaya Ballard who cares about you casting spells with Jaya Ballard Flavour text.

And make it deal damage to your opponent when they cast spells with newwalker flavor text. :getin:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

Scrounge around in a Walmart or a Target first.

You can actually get acceptable prices for precons there.

I'm probably gonna be That Guy and grab up all the Red Precons for myself when I go in on Friday to put them out in the first place. :haw:
Yep, precons are always MSRP at Walmart and Target. They are also stocked by an outside vendor, so if you happen to see someone stocking them try to find out if they have a schedule so you can come back and get the good stuff as soon as it hits the shelf.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGIC-MTG-S...=item2a46dfde19

low $130s after shipping...

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Chill la Chill posted:

Right, so what's now the maximum deck size for sufficient human randomized action until it's too much? Or is this one of those BS rulings (just like the 4 horsemen one that led to this discussion) of "I know it when I see it"

E: for the record 4 horsemen is the best deck next to the Thrull deck. Eggs comes at a distant third

Thrull deck? Please elaborate :allears:

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

theironjef posted:

drat, well then on to my new green creature, Target Creature, who is a little ambulatory archery target that tends to gain a lot of abilities.

Is it a flagbearer, too?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Man, that's only, like, £80. Even with VAT, the difference is huge. I'm paying £120. (about $190, so about $160 when you take away the sales tax.)

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

mehall posted:

Man, that's only, like, £80. Even with VAT, the difference is huge. I'm paying £120. (about $190, so about $160 when you take away the sales tax.)

I'm paying 100 quid (that includes shipping) from GamesIsland, this was before spoilers, now it's gone down to even less now, check it out.

Here is the link- http://www.shop-021.de/GamesIsland-p2514h151s188-Commander-2014-5er-D.html?sid=cab9762c01f1485ca5cac3ffb8a23fd4

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Samael posted:

I'm paying 100 quid (that includes shipping) from GamesIsland, this was before spoilers, now it's gone down to even less now, check it out.

Here is the link- http://www.shop-021.de/GamesIsland-p2514h151s188-Commander-2014-5er-D.html?sid=cab9762c01f1485ca5cac3ffb8a23fd4

I'm getting mine from my LGS, as they wanted £120, which was the same as Madhouse and a couple other places.

I'll keep an eye on that GamesIsland in the future though, cheers!

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

mehall posted:

I'm getting mine from my LGS, as they wanted £120, which was the same as Madhouse and a couple other places.

I'll keep an eye on that GamesIsland in the future though, cheers!

Best thing about is that they have 10 euro shipping set, no matter how much you order, tracked shipping. I got plenty of foreign language theros and BOTG pre-release boxes there for dirt cheap. (Like 50ish quid for all 5 pre-release boxes, in italian)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Archenteron posted:

Thrull deck? Please elaborate :allears:

I don't know if anyone has the exact list, but it's this:

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Yeah, that. I don't remember it in full, but the win condition was something ludicrous involving that goblin tribal enchantment that deals 1 damage whenever something dies. It required you to painstakingly slowly generate enough thrulls to kill your opponent, but the real kicker was that because of its diabolically awkward mana base, the only way to get to that point involved casting Beacon of Immortality something like 140 times. Targeting your opponent. With Hive Mind out. The result is that your opponent's life total scales exponentially into the stratosphere before you're ready to start the thrull-ping loop... and that loop scales linearly (and your mana base is still too awkward to allow more than like 1 damage a turn).

I don't remember how, but they somehow threw in another exponent in there. So rather than taking a mere 2^140 (1e42 - already longer than the age of the universe if one turn takes one second) turns to win, you needed something like 2^(2^140) turns to do it. Which is a number so big it can't be represented directly.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Is it wrong that I think that deck looks awesome? Yeah I know it's banned but that looks like a ton of fun, does Hypergenesis just become a one-sided Show & Tell unless your opponent wants to play something off Hypergenesis? Or is the wording such that you can empty your entire hand off one Hypergenesis?

How's the rest of that series? I love these sorts of hypothetical scenarios and the videos don't look all that outdated.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 6, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

That trademark MODO salt. He thinks I topdecked a second Bazaar of Baghdad after he Ghost Quartered it. I actually had it since the opening hand and held it in reserve for potential Wastelands. See also, the third Bazaar still in my hand.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Is it wrong that I think that deck looks awesome? Yeah I know it's banned but that looks like a ton of fun, does Hypergenesis just become a one-sided Show & Tell unless your opponent wants to play something off Hypergenesis? Or is the wording such that you can empty your entire hand off one Hypergenesis?

How's the rest of that series? I love these sorts of hypothetical scenarios and the videos don't look all that outdated.

You can fart out your entire hand with it.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

C-Euro posted:

Caleb's Banned series for Legacy and Modern aren't bad, although some choices are questionable, like when he tried out Chrome Mox or something and it wasn't for a combo deck I think? Something exploitable like that.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I found the posts with the ludicrously long goldfish deck. If you continue all the way through to Part 3, there's someone in the comments whose forum apparently has worked out decks of late that can take even more Heat Deaths Of A Universe (a necessary measure at this point) to win, but they look way less well checked.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

C-Euro posted:

They're insanely good, Caleb is probably the best producer of serious original video content in the MTG-o-sphere currently.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I found the posts with the ludicrously long goldfish deck. If you continue all the way through to Part 3, there's someone in the comments whose forum apparently has worked out decks of late that can take even more Heat Deaths Of A Universe (a necessary measure at this point) to win, but they look way less well checked.

But why?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Angry Grimace posted:

That trademark MODO salt. He thinks I topdecked a second Bazaar of Baghdad after he Ghost Quartered it. I actually had it since the opening hand and held it in reserve for potential Wastelands. See also, the third Bazaar still in my hand.

Maybe he thought you were lucky for having a 2nd in your hand.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Why not?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Maths nerds, man. Don't try to understand them - their brains are already twisted, you don't want yours to go the same way.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Maths nerds, man. Don't try to understand them - their brains are already twisted, you don't want yours to go the same way.

Don't listen to this rubbish. Math is the true light of the universe and a good solid understanding of it will help you play eggs better.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

You're asking "buy why" re: an actually interesting and mentally stimulating thought experiment after we just spent like 4 pages discussing utterly pointless hypothetical deck choices in 1) a format where literally anything is legal, card # restrictions are thrown out the window, and the ostensible point is to make "the dumbest deck possible" and 2) Vintage where nothing is banned or restricted except ante cards and cards you have to throw in the air to play, and everyone wins on turn 0.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 6, 2014

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Because doomsday wasn't fun enough.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
I thought cube was dumping your whole collection in a box and cutting a hand sized hole in the top effectively making it your 6000 card deck.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Ob Nixilis is a goddamn baller

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
You people are silly.

4x black lotus
4x mox ruby
4x mox emerald
4x mox sapphire
4x mox jet
4x fireball
4x channel
4x time walk
4x sol ring
4x force of will
4x ancestral recall
4x brainstorm
4x demonic tutor
4x flusterstorm
4x pact of negation

Channel fireball counter your poo poo.

Or better option pay 20 to channel an instantly lose because this format would be terrible.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 6, 2014

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
For Flickerwisp:

quote:

Return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
Does that card being played go onto the stack, or does it just happen immediately and the beginning of the end step? Basically: can I flash in a Containment Priest in response or do I need to play it in the main phase?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Delver with 4 Maindeck Leyline of Anticipation and Chalice of the Void.

Leyline of Anticipation > Chalice of the Void for 0 on your upkeep. GG. Thanks for playing with only artifact mana. :v:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

muon posted:

For Flickerwisp:

Does that card being played go onto the stack, or does it just happen immediately and the beginning of the end step? Basically: can I flash in a Containment Priest in response or do I need to play it in the main phase?

It's a delayed trigger, it goes on the stack at the end of the turn, and yes you can respond to it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Cernunnos posted:

/\/\/\: A delayed trigger is put on the stack at the beginning of the next end step to return the creature. You can respond to that trigger.

Delver with 4 Maindeck Leyline of Anticipation and Chalice of the Void.

Leyline of Anticipation > Chalice of the Void for 0 on your upkeep. GG. Thanks for playing with only artifact mana. :v:

Flash combo wins just fine without artifact mana since getting around mental misstep is also important in this fake format.

Leyline of Sanctity beats most of the combos too :haw:.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
KTK Constructed is so dumb. There's mostly crap for removal in Khans so cards like Zurgo Helmsmasher are completely busted. And I'm playing it to grind out packs because I'm a tryhard.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I really like that, it's probably one of my favorite Uncharted Realms. It's interesting, even though I'd say he's pretty clearly mono-black the whole way through, he originally had at least very vaguely noble intentions--put an end to the cycle of destruction that was eating his home plane. I feel like that's a nice example of "Black can still do good things, but in its own way".

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

The Lord of Hats posted:

I really like that, it's probably one of my favorite Uncharted Realms. It's interesting, even though I'd say he's pretty clearly mono-black the whole way through, he originally had at least very vaguely noble intentions--put an end to the cycle of destruction that was eating his home plane. I feel like that's a nice example of "Black can still do good things, but in its own way".

:stare:

I'm one of the more 'gently caress the establishment' guys when it comes to nerdgame lore and even I have a pretty hard time characterizing that as a 'good thing.'

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

JerryLee posted:

:stare:

I'm one of the more 'gently caress the establishment' guys when it comes to nerdgame lore and even I have a pretty hard time characterizing that as a 'good thing.'

I hope I don't have to point you towards TVTropes.

gently caress.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Umm...He goes around killing worlds. I'm really stretching to figure out exactly where you are getting the whole "Ob Nixilis isn't puppy-kicking evil" schtick.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

I hope I don't have to point you towards TVTropes.

gently caress.

Hmm yes, let me just start working my way through the Anime and Manga section and get back t- :suicide:

Veyrall posted:

Umm...He goes around killing worlds. I'm really stretching to figure out exactly where you are getting the whole "Ob Nixilis isn't puppy-kicking evil" schtick.

Yeah, there's plenty of room for stories involving the use of black mana for good ends, but I'm betting this guy isn't going to be one of them.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Veyrall posted:

Look, it's simple logic: the only surefire way to prevent war is to murder every single thinking thing that exists.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Nah, the original nobility being mentioned here is before the part where he allows a dark being to kill everyone - the original nobility is the part where he's aware that his world has a propensity to cyclic war that he believes he can stop by creating a unified ruling power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Allstone posted:

Nah, the original nobility being mentioned here is before the part where he allows a dark being to kill everyone - the original nobility is the part where he's aware that his world has a propensity to cyclic war that he believes he can stop by creating a unified ruling power.

Yeah, this is it. *After* that he just goes "gently caress it, what I can't have I will burn to goddamn ashes and salt the earth because there's plenty of worlds out there". And from what we see of this little snapshot of him, he's very... fair, in his own way. He doesn't hold it against you that you're in it for yourself--when his army is broken and most of his soldiers surrender rather than die, his response is "Yeah, no, I'd do the same thing if I were you, the guys fighting to the end are dumbasses". Something about the way he's written just vaguely reminds me of Commander Vimes from Discworld, and I'm not sure just what it is.

• Locked thread