Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

"rape his rear end if you want to. if you're a gay rapist." :allears:

I love Europeans who have english as a second language. They just don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

KoB posted:

Like what?

The hunters completely overpower the monster in the early game but the monster is nigh unbeatable in the late game. Matches either end quickly in monster defeat or 20 minutes when the monster wrecks house.

Contrary to their title, the hunters are actually playing a defensive game. They have to kill the monster or defend their power relay until time runs out. But the relay only takes damage when you're doing a contextual interaction with it and this damage is interrupted if you're shot. If the devs want you to have a secondary objective they seriously need to reconsider how the power relays work because it's far easier for the monster to catch and kill all four hunters at max level than the relay.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

God drat, these devs are pretty cool.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

al-azad posted:

Combat sucks (it's Bethesda, what else is new?) but the world is great and dungeon designs feel more unique and natural than Oblivion's cave/sewer/castle map sets. I guess "varied" is the word, here. Skyrim actually feels like Morrowind where someone hand crafted the world. Oblivion and Fallout 3 felt like they just laid down large swatches of flat terrain and had a generator to create the subway/sewers that all look the same.

Except that 95% of Skyrim's dungeons feel like that are copy/pasted from each other in layout and design. There are some really cool and unique ones, but the vast majority of exploration will lead you to boring samey dungeons with nothing unique or cool in them. I very rarely feel the need to just go out and explore in Skyrim because anything actually unique or cool is tied to a questline and everything else is just boring.

Orv
May 4, 2011

al-azad posted:

The hunters completely overpower the monster in the early game but the monster is nigh unbeatable in the late game. Matches either end quickly in monster defeat or 20 minutes when the monster wrecks house.

Contrary to their title, the hunters are actually playing a defensive game. They have to kill the monster or defend their power relay until time runs out. But the relay only takes damage when you're doing a contextual interaction with it and this damage is interrupted if you're shot. If the devs want you to have a secondary objective they seriously need to reconsider how the power relays work because it's far easier for the monster to catch and kill all four hunters at max level than the relay.

More problems with Evolve;
  • If your Trapper is not competent you lose regardless of any other factor. For clarity Trapper is the class with the Thunderdome ability that cages the monster in.
  • Splitting up is the only good way to catch the monster before it becomes the aggressor. If the monster is stage 2 he will easily be able to kill a solo or duo set of hunters.
  • No meaningful reasons for hunters to interact with the wildlife.
  • Monster ability balances are hilariously bad.

That's the primary shorthand-able stuff, the rest of the problems with the games go into deep mechanical discussion and this isn't the thread for that. You can visit the Evolve thread for a bunch of huge spergwalls on the balance of the game.

Furthermore they're intentionally developing the game as an esport, which has yet to work out even once in video games.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

HogX posted:

Has anyone tried Evolve yet? How is it? It says its from the dudes who made left 4 dead, and it's kind of an interesting concept.

The game is great fun, IF the monster is good and knows what it is supposed to do AND the hunters are good and know what they are supposed to do AND the hunters cooperate with each other AND all players are roughly on the same level. When even one of those are not met, the game can quickly become miserable, with bad hunters unable to catch and engage monster and spending the whole match running around in Jungle to Benny Hill theme, or with bad monster being immediately cornered and massacred within first few minutes of game, etc... And this being the Internet, you will play with bad players FAR more often that with good ones.

So basically, unless you have 4 or 5 friends that will play the game with you, don't bother. Especially not for 60 bucks.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Drifter posted:

"rape his rear end if you want to. if you're a gay rapist." :allears:

I love Europeans who have english as a second language. They just don't care.

Robbaz is an amazing YouTuber.

He has videos on how to make blood pancakes, moose burgers and kangaroo tacos.

Oh Sweden. :sweden:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Orv posted:

Furthermore they're intentionally developing the game as an esport, which has yet to work out even once in video games.

Is there an Esport Manager game like Out of the Park or Football Manager yet? If not someone should jump on that, they would make stupid money.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Zeron posted:

Except that 95% of Skyrim's dungeons feel like that are copy/pasted from each other in layout and design. There are some really cool and unique ones, but the vast majority of exploration will lead you to boring samey dungeons with nothing unique or cool in them. I very rarely feel the need to just go out and explore in Skyrim because anything actually unique or cool is tied to a questline and everything else is just boring.

That was the case for Oblivion, but a lot of Skyrim's dungeons really did feel unique - at least to me.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Skyrim had only 10 people on the dungeon team. 8 designers and 2 artists made all of them.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JoelBurgess/20130501/191514/Skyrims_Modular_Approach_to_Level_Design.php

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

While Skyrim's dungeons look more diverse than Oblivion's (and aren't made out of, like, six different rooms slightly rearranged), they still mostly feel really similar. They're almost all a linear series of corridors and rooms ending with a boss, a pile of loot and a door back to the start that was conveniently inaccessible on your way in. You never really feel like your exploring somewhere, you're just following the guided your of the castle/cave/tomb, and then just given your reward at the end.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That was the case for Oblivion, but a lot of Skyrim's dungeons really did feel unique - at least to me.

You've got some low fuckin' standards, Stabbey, to think they all felt unique. Or a huge case of delusion.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

mutata posted:

Skyrim had only 10 people on the dungeon team. 8 designers and 2 artists made all of them.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JoelBurgess/20130501/191514/Skyrims_Modular_Approach_to_Level_Design.php

okay but here's the real question how many people were on dragon age 2s dungeon team

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Monowhatever posted:

okay but here's the real question how many people were on dragon age 2s dungeon team

It was just me. I didn't even know it at the time. My bad, guys.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Was it Daggerfall that flat out used generated dungeons for sidequests?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

There was a -1 person on that team because the moment one of the devs said he can design really good dungeons, the game director shot him on the spot.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

SelenicMartian posted:

Yup, that's how it was able to boast that eleventy million mile world

Pretty sure the original Arena did the same.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

Yeah, and you had to make a back-up save before going into them because it would happily create impossible ones.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Monowhatever posted:

A couple more people than who is probably on Inquisition's dungeon team.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

I'm thinking about buying Depth, the shark versus diver PvP game.

This video makes it look way too much fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6aJ6qSlmiE

Anyone play it yet?

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's very, very good, though perhaps a bit too in favor of the sharks.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Re:Skyrim chat.

While the dungeons/caves are all usually pretty average and similar layouts. I don't know a single dungeon game that isn't like this if there's multiple dungeons.

That said, the overworld is the best part of the game anyway. Go explore the beautiful land and run into hilarious spawn/npc interactions that the devs didn't plan for. And watch giants fling enemies into the air.

Also remember that Bethesda games are essentially demi-god simulators. Nothing is challenging even on high difficulties. So play with dumb gimmick builds on medium or easy difficulties.

Tl:dr Dungeons are ok, overworld owns.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
how has no one mentioned skyrim mods yet

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Monowhatever posted:

One of those bird toys that see-saw placed over the keyboard

The winter cold mod or w/e it is called is really fun. Couple that with the different start mod for fun

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It looks like some studio is developing a new incarnation of Quake 3 Arena - Reflex turned up on Early Access. Of course it's Early Access and there's still no actual level art and everything is a placeholder but it looks like the game's heart is in the right place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQaN3h-S4Wo&t=20s

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I made the mistake of noticing Captain Swing owns BlackSoul: Extended Edition, and after an hour of streaming it we both wished I had never brought it up.

BlackSoul is a third-person horror game that wears its original Resident Evil influences on its sleeve. You'll navigate an ugly brown asylum and graveyard and maybe other places while fighting an aggressively cinematic camera that will hide as much of the game as it can behind dutch angles and uncomfortable close-ups. The environments are decent, if boring, as long as you don't look too close. But you have to look close because interactive elements like doors, containers, and items have no indication they are interactive. No button prompt, no shimmer, nothing. Be prepared to hump every wall and table in the place looking for poorly-textured knobs and cranks that give no indication of where they're used.

There is combat, at least once you find the crowbar. Before that the shuffling zombies found in a handful of rooms will just wander up to you and clutch at you for about a minute until you pass out. But with crowbar in hand you can do wooden, weightless overhead swings on the monsters until they unceremoniously fall over. Swing found a few boxes labeled GUN that suggest other weapons, but never did manage to find an actual gun to go with his supply of GUN. I really can't properly describe how stiff and unnatural the animations are... the models in the PS1 Silent Hill emote more than these Poser models do.

I could mention other oddities, like your sparse inventory screen featuring a hand-drawn heartbeat that I guess represents your health. Or how all the load screens are just the game's title, and they pop up every time you go through a door. Or how there is literally no indication of what your goal is in exploring the asylum grounds. But why bother? Nothing happens in this game. Aside from a few hilariously crude drawings there's not even anything to make fun of. Even if you got this in a bundle (which I suspect you did if you have it) it's not worth your time.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
http://store.steampowered.com/app/254440/
:woop::neckbeard::pcgaming:Pool Nation has Box Of Tricks DLC Packs up :woop::neckbeard::pcgaming:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

ok, this might get me back into skyrim because i fuckin' love punching poo poo in games.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Kubrick posted:

I'm thinking about buying Depth, the shark versus diver PvP game.

This video makes it look way too much fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6aJ6qSlmiE

Anyone play it yet?

Yes. Sneaking up on a diver and thrashing your mouse around as you tear him to shreds is extremely satisfying.

Unfortunately, playing a diver is a lot harder because it requires way more teamwork and the nature of the game means that divers only really stand a chance by skittering together from enclosed space to enclosed space, mostly waiting in corners to save their friends from sharks. One or two divers who run off and try to do their own thing swing the balance of the game heavily towards sharks, and as you could probably guess, matchmaking queue times for sharks are stupidly long compared to queue times for divers

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Skyrim talk: the game itself is a huge step up from Oblivion in general feel, but holy poo poo the dungeons are just awful. Linear corridor after linear corridor.

I was jonesing for some TES style dungeon crawling so I downloaded Morrowind again. Dungeons that have branching paths, quests that aren't just "follow the arrow", and really questionable action combat. The perfect mix.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

duckfarts posted:

ok, this might get me back into skyrim because i fuckin' love punching poo poo in games.

Have you played Beast Boxing, aka Monster Punch-Out?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/259490/

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I keep getting audible playstation store ads playing in my steam webhelper client or something? What's up with that, and how do I stop it?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Does taking an item from a Devil Room count as a hit for no hitting an area in regular Isaac?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

Does taking an item from a Devil Room count as a hit for no hitting an area in regular Isaac?

yes.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Skyrim talk: the game itself is a huge step up from Oblivion in general feel, but holy poo poo the dungeons are just awful. Linear corridor after linear corridor.

I was jonesing for some TES style dungeon crawling so I downloaded Morrowind again. Dungeons that have branching paths, quests that aren't just "follow the arrow", and really questionable action combat. The perfect mix.

To be fair the best Skyrim dungeons are leagues above any of the ones in the other TES games. The vast majority are awful but there are some really amazing looking dungeons and some with really cool layouts/designs.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Well gently caress.

Would SAMing it be considered dishonorable? I could swear nothing else hit me during the Womb.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I think I really like Coin Crypt because I put in like 2 hours into Rebirth and was like 'Hm, this is good but it's not Coin Crypt. I should fix that,' and went on to play Coin Crypt.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The talking dog quest was possibly the best thing in Skyrim for me.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Justin_Brett posted:

One tip is that you just have to kill the second boss to count as no hitting the area. So after that you can take deals and do whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...

Testekill posted:

One tip is that you just have to kill the second boss to count as no hitting the area. So after that you can take deals and do whatever.

You have to kill two bosses, so don't use the digging item on the first floor either.

• Locked thread