Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Do achievements and unlocks happen during challenges?

Edit: Also man, having really high speed just murders you in the bullet hell bosses. Just too slippery!

Nope, only in normal runs. You can't get them if you type in a seed either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
I just fought a boss named the Dark one. He stood there yelling, and let me kill him without doing anything about it. Fun game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fuckin god dammit. Do not pick up the mega-tears-with-short-range item that I can't remember the name of (it's a big red eye) if you have picked up soy milk, because it will not magically un-stick your permanent 1 damage and then you will be stuck with permanent 1-range and 1-damage. Not even the maximum-est firerate could save me. :cripes:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Darth Windu posted:

A game like this will never find a wide audience

The original game sold over two million copies and this new version is just selling more. Hope this helps.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I beat up Satan (and everything else) so hard I crashed the game!

I got that Mega Tears/Short Range item on the first floor, got Shielded Tears at some point, got a Pentagram and a few other damage boosters, Common Cold, and something that made my tears bounce.

I annihilated the Boss Rush. Scarily, it seems there are character-specific unlocks, because Cain's Other Eye triggered once I beat the last bosses. After striking the killing blow on Satan - and I have no loving idea how, because I laid one bomb in the SW corner then started running - the game went "Oh god, take Judas and the Bomb Bag I don't even" and crashed on me.

Shielded Tears is crazy strong on Mom's Heart. You can just stand there and never get hit by anything. Especially if your tears are bigger than you are!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So I was lukewarm on that AntiGrav Tears item at first but hoooly gently caress does it clean up shop. Especially when I got L'il Brimstone. And then Infamy. And then all of Guppy's items. And then Quad Tears.

I was so drunk on my own power I didn't realize until much later I was in a perfect position to clear out all the no-hitter challenges. Oh well.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

notoriousman posted:

There's no floor to access beyond Sheol; it's an ending branch.

Except I've been to a floor past Sheol? Perhaps it's an alternate route and not actually "past" it, I got there through a teleport from something. Can't recall what. Place was called Dark Room and was hard as gently caress for my weak rear end Maggy run at the time.

Read fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 6, 2014

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Read posted:

Except I've been to a floor past Sheol? Perhaps it's an alternate route and not actually "past" it, I got there through a teleport from something. Can't recall what. Place was called Dark Room and was hard as gently caress for my weak rear end Maggy run at the time.

That's the new Rebirth area unlocked as the Sheol version of the Chest. Dunno how you actually unlock it properly, though.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Saigyouji posted:

That's the new Rebirth area unlocked as the Sheol version of the Chest. Dunno how you actually unlock it, though.

Yeah, I figured it must be that, I remember hearing something about them adding an alternate Chest for the Satan path. Wasn't sure though, since I thought it might be a special area you can just teleport into.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Something I like about this game is that it's actually really clever about communicating its mechanics to you for the most part. The use of items may not be apparent immediately, but if you're paying close attention the game is good about giving visual cues. Whenever I see someone stream/Let's Play the game and they get confused or frustrated, they're invariably not reading the text closely or missing a very clear visual indicator of some kind. I say this having seen items I'd never seen before on-stream and immediately recognizing their effect long before the streamer did.

Also someone mentioned luck, and that's the other thing I love about this game. Luck is actually not important at all and the game's been very purposefully designed that way. Every room is crafted to be beatable with a bare minimum of abilities (hence stuff like The Purist being a thing.) What this means is that every build is technically viable and can win the game, with the quality of the build only determining the difficulty of victory, not the possibility. BoI can't screw you over in the same way a game like FTL can, where you'll frequently find yourself losing simply because the game decided not to allow you to buy weapons that could kill the final boss.

Binding of Isaac is a great game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to force scaling in this game?
If I go fullscreen, it scales it up too much, in fact, it zooms in so much that I can't even see the v1.0 on the title screen.

Maybe this has been answered in the thread, but there have been ~1000 posts since I checked yesterday and that's like looking for a needle in a haystack. :negative:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Man this is the perfect vita game. Always liked the PC version when watching movies and now I can do that on my couch. The extra new stuff is just a bonus

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
So, checked out the "When Life Gives You Lemons" challenge. Christ, Lemon Mishap is powerful now.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Got home ... booted the PS4 and Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and ... nothing. Just stuck on "loading". Tried a couple of times, over 20 minutes.

I deleted the save data, and it would load. But now it won't reload my cross-save data. Just says "sync error". Same thing on Vita.

Any ideas? It would be disappointing but I could trash all my save data. I'm worried however that it still won't sync, making it pointless.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

gently caress this game.

I had a million hearts, a devil room with two Guppy items and then another from a red chest. I could have had them all but I was so tired I accidentally backed out and the door disappeared.

Uninstalling, quiting games forever, joining some monks on a mountain.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

If anybody wants to experience the :stare: that is Monstro's Lung and Magnetic Tears, here you go: RQ3W VHRH

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Ring Worm + Tiny Planet = incredible bullshit, I'm laughing really hard at this

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Is there any way to force scaling in this game?
If I go fullscreen, it scales it up too much, in fact, it zooms in so much that I can't even see the v1.0 on the title screen.

Maybe this has been answered in the thread, but there have been ~1000 posts since I checked yesterday and that's like looking for a needle in a haystack. :negative:

Drag the window border. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Iny posted:

I don't care if Tiny Planet actually sucks, I want to combo it with everything just to see what happens.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Just had a loving great run for my first Mom's Heart kill, I was smart this time and wrote down the seed, to share with you all. I like to call it "Laser Death Murder". Use Azazel. You get Lil' Brimstone on the first floor, Robo Baby on the second, and things just kinda spiral from there. Don't grab the Tick (if trinket drops are controlled by seed, don't know if that's the case), there's a drat ton of trinkets.

T20V
RX9P

Where is the Lil Brimstone on the first floor?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Iny posted:

Yeah I picked it up on my Head Trauma attempt and was incredibly disturbed by the results.

Also how do I use Tiny Planet. I hate it so much.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Coal+Ludovico Technique makes your tears bigger based on your distance from them.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Iny posted:

Drag the window border. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Well I meant scaling it in general. In other words, being able to scale it while being fullscreen too.

The scaling in this game is really annoying, it allows you to scale out a lot horizontally but if it gets too much vertical space it zooms everything out. As someone without a 16:9 (mine is 16:10) screen, this means that it literally does not show the entire screen if I go fullscreen.

It's not a common problem these days probably, but my two screens are 5:4 and 16:10 while the game seems to want no less than 16:9 when it comes to height. As I said, it zooms in so much that I can't even see the "v1.0" on the title screen.

e: and yes I am fully aware that I can play in windowed mode, this has to do with my distance from the screen and also ~*~my immersion~*~.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The reason it does that is because the rooms themselves are rectangular and it would otherwise have to zoom the camera further into the room horizontally but not vertically, making it scroll for only like a third of the room length to either edge, which would basically be vomit camera vision for some people. But then again, people would still probably prefer that to "not being able to play at all in fullscreen" so :shrug:

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

My last run turned super easy at some point. http://youtu.be/wCAbulxr2OM

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

The reason it does that is because the rooms themselves are rectangular and it would otherwise have to zoom the camera further into the room horizontally but not vertically, making it scroll for only like a third of the room length to either edge, which would basically be vomit camera vision for some people. But then again, people would still probably prefer that to "not being able to play at all in fullscreen" so :shrug:

It could use black bars. The original doesn't do it right, but spidermod words perfect in 1680:1050. :v:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

IUG posted:

So in the first Binding Of Isaac I struggled for months to get Dark Boy. Tonight, in 10 hours of playing this game, I no-hit the Depths with loving Eve. I didn't even know I pulled that off. I don't think I even had anything great, certainly not the one-hit protection shield, not the awesome shield shots, or any orbitals. Just a lot of luck apparently. Took me by surprise, and it's good that it's out of the way already.
I think a lot of horrible bullshit layouts have been removed, or at least dramatically reduced in frequency. Previously most of my Dark Boy attempts would fail due to either a nasty mask/heart layout or a gaggle of excessively close Mr. Maw's/Globins. I haven't really seen anything like them in Rebirth yet.

I mean I still take hits constantly from those stupid Brimstone Spiders, but I'm pretty sure I'll get over that eventually.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Computer posted:

It could use black bars. The original doesn't do it right, but spidermod words perfect in 1680:1050. :v:

That would also work, yes. An even better option would be to just include the scaling option from the original game, but doing pixel-perfect scaling stuff is trivial in flash and probably harder in whatever they coded the new one in.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
so I had one and a half black hearts, and grabbed a 3 soul heart pickup from the devil room, and didn't die, or lose any health. I would recommend it.

Also Cursed Eye didn't ruin my last run, so I guess it doesn't effect brimstone.

Malcolm Excellent fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 6, 2014

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Somehow the Notched Pickaxe killed me on my perfect Azazel run. I had Brimstone, Lil' Brimstone, Book of Belial, The Battery(does using multiple book of Belial's in the same room even stack?), and a metric ton of damage ups. And then I'm like hey might as well use the Notched Pickaxe once and bam I died. Argh.

Has anyone tried the local co-op yet? Is it any fun?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zeron posted:

Has anyone tried the local co-op yet? Is it any fun?

It is definitely fun, yes. I played it with my sister who does not often play video games and it was much harder than just single player because of the lack of health to go around. Also she was terrible at it. It was interesting to see what migrates to the second player and what doesn't; tear effects work for both, orbitals leave player 1 and go to player 2, 'trigger on hit' trinkets and items affect both, and so on.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Oh man, just had a couple rounds where I found pyromaniac. It heals you every time an explosion touches you instead of harming you.
It won't get you through the game for free but it is obscenely good.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I love Azazel, having flight from the start is amazing and his mini-brimstone wrecks poo poo.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Azazel's natural dps and mobility are crazy. i think if you want easy no damage clears you should probably use him

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's really annoying dealing with enemies that explode or spit bullets on death though.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I'm not sure how they thought it made sense to nerf Cain but add Azazel into the game.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

I was ramming myself into a blood donation machine to use up my 9 lives when the one machine turned into 4. I wasn't able to see if I could use the new ones because of my health but I'll try it next time I have 9 lives, maybe the item's still useful for exploits.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Read posted:

I'm not sure how they thought it made sense to nerf Cain but add Azazel into the game.

Hope to God he doesn't get Samson'd, especially before I get to play him.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Anyone have more than 100 cents donated to the thing in the shop? I just hit 105 and it looks to keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

drunken officeparty posted:

Anyone have more than 100 cents donated to the thing in the shop? I just hit 105 and it looks to keep going.

Not far after that you get the level 2 shop which will give you four items most the time but some times three. Currently I'm at 165.