Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Avengers totally owns but if you're not feeling it by #18 I don't think what comes later will change your mind. Maybe stick with it through Infinity and see how you feel then. The problem is that it becomes heavily intertwined with New Avengers later - you can't really read one without the other.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shitshow posted:

I'm trying to work my way through Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers and have made it to the Prelude to Infinity trade. While I like the New Avengers quite a bit, I find Avengers to be a total slog. Does it get better and should I continue? If I'm not feelin' it at this point, should I just walk away?

i bailed on it by the end of the first trade, poo poo was awful.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Shitshow posted:

I'm trying to work my way through Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers and have made it to the Prelude to Infinity trade. While I like the New Avengers quite a bit, I find Avengers to be a total slog. Does it get better and should I continue? If I'm not feelin' it at this point, should I just walk away?
I think it got a lot better after/during Infinity--I can see how the more standalone character issues and Savage Land stuff seemed weaker than the the NA plot. The Original Sin arc with Cap moving forward through time was pretty cool, and it tied in much more with everything else going on. Both titles are pretty inseparable at this point, too.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 31, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

e: Thought this was derailed.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

Avengers totally owns but if you're not feeling it by #18 I don't think what comes later will change your mind. Maybe stick with it through Infinity and see how you feel then. The problem is that it becomes heavily intertwined with New Avengers later - you can't really read one without the other.

I dunno, I bailed on Avengers early and haven't felt too lost in NA. I mean, I'm probably missing something, but I couldn't tell you what. I guess for obvious reasons. But, uh, it's read pretty well on its own and I really look forward to each new issue even if I'm apparently missing out on TOTALLY HUGE STUFF.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

So far Infinity was the biggest crossover, you can read New Avengers by itself and not really get lost until you start wondering where Thanos came from. I'm still reading Avengers but it's a bit all over the place and I'm enjoying the tighter focus of NA far more.

However, the time skip stuff seems to really tie in a lot. The second half of Avengers 35 and the latest issue, 37, focus pretty much entirely on the Illuminati. Those parts are the first non-Infinity ones that have really felt like necessary parts of the NA reading order, but maybe they won't be so important ultimately. I definitely don't think the omnibus needs to alternate issues like they're doing for the Hickman FF one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Really, the only time you NEED to read Avengers to follow New Avengers is the during Infinity. Otherwise all you need to know is that Cap finds out what they did to him, and that's why Tony has bandages on his face all of a sudden.

Edit: Oh yeah, as was said, post time-skip they are more tied together, so you might want to start reading both again.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Shitshow posted:

I don't enjoy Hickman's Avengers at all but I get codes off a friend. I liked his FF a bit but I'm just not a big Hickman guy. I think that's a minority view here though.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
A long while back a lil' Agent_grey used to collect the UK Sonic the hedgehog comics. I've recently remembered they are sitting in my parents attic and thought about binding them. But given the size and paper quality I'm not entirely sure its doable.

Do any of you binding goons know if I can do it? The comics were about the same size as 2000ad comics maybe a little wider and I think the pages were a little thinner though I may be misremembering.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

hadji murad posted:

I don't enjoy Hickman's Avengers at all but I get codes off a friend. I liked his FF a bit but I'm just not a big Hickman guy. I think that's a minority view here though.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try and stick it out through Infinity in the hopes that the momentum picks up.

As for Hickman, I think he's a great ideas guy but, drat, does he need an editor with a strong hand.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Agent_grey posted:

A long while back a lil' Agent_grey used to collect the UK Sonic the hedgehog comics. I've recently remembered they are sitting in my parents attic and thought about binding them. But given the size and paper quality I'm not entirely sure its doable.

Do any of you binding goons know if I can do it? The comics were about the same size as 2000ad comics maybe a little wider and I think the pages were a little thinner though I may be misremembering.
If it's paper, it can be bound.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Thanks man, I'll start having a look at binders then.

At last the UK Streets of Rage adaptation will live on in hard back glory.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Agent_grey posted:

At last the UK Streets of Rage adaptation will live on in hard back glory.

Mark Millar wrote that one (the first one, anyway; I think Kitching did the other two).

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
That he did, figure if I put them together with the shinobi and kid chameleon strips

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You could group them under "The Never-Ended Stories". :v: (Well, I suppose Shinobi sort of had an ending.)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I wish I still had my issues of the UK Sonic The Comic. :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Me too. The only option is :filez: at this point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What occupies the rest of the Baxter Building?

Reed and the FF's stuff only seems to be in the top few floors.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Floors and floors of D.O.O.M.H.E.R.B.I.Es

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

For a long time, they only rented the top floors for living quarters and Reed's laboratories (so their landlord would sometimes show up to give them trouble when Annihilus tried to invade Earth through the penthouse or Doctor Doom shot the bulding into space). They became the building's owners in a John Byrne story and subsequently the rest of the building has usually been protrayed as their corporate HQ as well as their superhero base. Has a gift shop and everything.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Quasar had an office on one of the floors for his security firm in his series. It is assumed that other offices existed, but none of the others were ever shown in that series.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I think I've asked this before but does anyone remember the artist or the books where its Batman and he has little funny bats around him usually sometimes with smiling faces.

Ugh can't remember it at all, Ithink I may have asked once before but can't find my post.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Seth Fisher in Batman:Snow, a drat sad loss for comics.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Offices for the most part. Typically the FF occupies the top five floors of the building, though they're larger than the standard floors. We've seen tenant meetings in the past, plus on occasion someone is referenced as having an office there. I suppose technically they also hold the shaft that runs down the building to channel the rocket thrust when they launch from midtown (there's vibrational baffles so that the whole building doesn't shake when they do that or land a helicarrier there).

IIRC, the original Baxter building was about fifty stories tall, Four Freedoms Plaza was about 90 stories tall, and I'm not really sure how tall the new Baxter Building is. The FF bought the Baxter Building and the land around issue 255 when their landlord was going to evict them for getting the top few stories blown off the building.

I'm trying to figure out now about how much office space in the Baxter Building would cost. It's definitely in midtown even if you don't trust the official maps, but is the FF residing there a pro or a con? Can you get insurance when you set up your offices in a building owned by someone who have been targeted by multiple skyscraper destroying terrorist attacks and are extremely likely to be hit again? I would think working there would be disruptive, but at the same time there's a kind of prestige to celebrities being upstairs and coming through the lobby all the time. And does having Willy Lumpkin deliver your mail increase the property value?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Haven't they shown tours being given of the Baxter Building? I kind of thought there might be a museum or something on the first few floors.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

TGG posted:

Seth Fisher in Batman:Snow, a drat sad loss for comics.

How did he fall off the top floor of a night club was there any other details. Sucks that he's dead.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm doing an article on all the various versions/adaptations of Infinity Gauntlet. I'm wondering if I'm missing anything:

- The original story
- Avengers and the Infinity Gauntlet
- An issue of What The--?!
- What If Silver Surfer Possessed the Infinity Gauntlet?
- What If Impossible Man Possessed the Infinity Gauntlet?
- The What If story where Thanos turns Galactus into Elvis.
- What If: Newer Fantastic Four
- What If: Secret Wars (sort of counts)
- Super Hero Squad Season 2
- The video game Super Hero Squad: Infinity Gauntlet
- The arcade game Marvel Super Heroes
- The SNES game Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems

They never adapted it anywhere else, did they?

In my research, I've watched a bit of Super Hero Squad. They did an episode based on Planet Hulk, written by Jimmy Palmiotti. That's... unexpected.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Did you check if they did something like it in the FF or Silver Surfer cartoons? I know Thanos was hanging around in the latter a lot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Haven't they shown tours being given of the Baxter Building? I kind of thought there might be a museum or something on the first few floors.

In Waid's run there is a giftshop/museum on the first few floors. And a few floors were dedicated to the offices of their corporation. I think at one point during Thunderbolts they said the building was totally vacant after Onslaught.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Did you check if they did something like it in the FF or Silver Surfer cartoons? I know Thanos was hanging around in the latter a lot.

I don't think Thanos ever showed up on FF. He was the main villain of Surfer, but they never brought the Gems into play, mainly because it didn't really work with the show. Infinity Gauntlet is about him fighting off a shitload of heroes while that cartoon was about him fighting one really boring guy.

On another note, the Silver Surfer cartoon did have one extremely bizarre episode where Surfer met Beta Ray Bill. Rather than being a space adventurer with a Norse hammer that makes him a god, Bill is really an alien with a Scottish accent who is constantly tripping balls.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

That article some super interesting. Look forward to it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gavok posted:

I'm doing an article on all the various versions/adaptations of Infinity Gauntlet. I'm wondering if I'm missing anything:

- The original story
- Avengers and the Infinity Gauntlet
- An issue of What The--?!
- What If Silver Surfer Possessed the Infinity Gauntlet?
- What If Impossible Man Possessed the Infinity Gauntlet?
- The What If story where Thanos turns Galactus into Elvis.
- What If: Newer Fantastic Four
- What If: Secret Wars (sort of counts)
- Super Hero Squad Season 2
- The video game Super Hero Squad: Infinity Gauntlet
- The arcade game Marvel Super Heroes
- The SNES game Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems

They never adapted it anywhere else, did they?

In my research, I've watched a bit of Super Hero Squad. They did an episode based on Planet Hulk, written by Jimmy Palmiotti. That's... unexpected.

Good list. Don't forget

- Infinity Wars (and possibly Infinity Crusade.)
- Adam Warlock and the Infinity Watch #1. (And possibly other issues of the series.)
- The Avengers/Malibu Crossover that involved the Infinity Gems and the 7th Infinity Gem (the Ego gem.)
- The first 6 issues of Jim Starlin's Thanos series involved the Infinity Gems. (And featured a skeleton that was originally supposed to be Rune from the Malibu universe until lawyers got involved.)
- The Infinity Abyss series from the late 90's.
- The recent Thanos annual which features Thanos time travelling from the middle of the events of Infinity Gauntlet to the past just after Thanos got blown up by Captain Mar-vel with the cosmic cube.
- JLAvengers.
- Jonathan Hickman's run on Fantastic Four.
- Jonathan Hickman's run on New Avenger's.
- Brian Michael Bendis' The Illumanti mini series.
- Brian Michael Bendis' run on New Avengers (the one with the Hood and the John Romita Jr artwork.)
-That What If where Doom gets the Infinity Gauntlet and makes Tony Stark's blood permanently alcholic.
- And of course one of the greatest comics ever published, Marvel's: Megamorphs.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 6, 2014

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The Question IRL posted:

Good list. Don't forget

- Infinity Wars (and possibly Infinity Crusade.)
- Adam Warlock and the Infinity Watch #1. (And possibly other issues of the series.)
- The Avengers/Malibu Crossover that involved the Infinity Gems and the 7th Infinity Gem (the Ego gem.)
- The first 6 issues of Jim Starlin's Thanos series involved the Infinity Gems. (And featured a skeleton that was originally supposed to be Rune from the Malibu universe until lawyers got involved.)
- The Infinity Abyss series from the late 90's.
- The recent Thanos annual which features Thanos time travelling from the middle of the events of Infinity Gauntlet to the past just after Thanos got blown up by Captain Mar-vel with the cosmic cube.
- JLAvengers.
- Jonathan Hickman's run on Fantastic Four.
- Jonathan Hickman's run on New Avenger's.
- Brian Michael Bendis' The Illumanti mini series.
- Brian Michael Bendis' run on New Avengers (the one with the Hood and the John Romita Jr artwork.)
-That What If where Doom gets the Infinity Gauntlet and makes Tony Stark's blood permanently alcholic.
- And of course one of the greatest comics ever published, Marvel's: Megamorphs.

I meant "Infinity Gauntlet" more in terms of the story than the object, but thanks.

I still count the Dr. Doom What If (on my list as What If: Secret Wars) because while Thanos isn't in it, it definitely acts like a comparison piece. It even ends with Doom depowered and becoming a farmer.

I might need to find that Thanos annual, though.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gavok posted:

I meant "Infinity Gauntlet" more in terms of the story than the object, but thanks.

I still count the Dr. Doom What If (on my list as What If: Secret Wars) because while Thanos isn't in it, it definitely acts like a comparison piece. It even ends with Doom depowered and becoming a farmer.

I might need to find that Thanos annual, though.

The Thanos annual was released in the summer.(Just before the Infinity Revelation which I've heard is just "Thanos and Adam Warlock smoke cosmic weed and chill" but this may be second hand information.) If you search Comixology for Thanos, the annual is one of the first results.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I thought that Spidey Super Stories #39 would fit what you're looking for, but I forgot that it's the Cosmic Cube Thanos is trying to pilfer, not anything Gauntlet-related.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

redbackground posted:

I thought that Spidey Super Stories #39 would fit what you're looking for, but I forgot that it's the Cosmic Cube Thanos is trying to pilfer, not anything Gauntlet-related.

Oh, goddamn it. I just wrote up a thing about stuff to expect in Avengers: Infinity War and I totally forgot to include the Thanoscopter! At least I was able to fit in Thanos being crushed by a space truck.

The link is pro-click, not for the crap I wrote, but for the guy in the comments losing his poo poo over how Mar-Vell is getting disrespected and everyone should boycott.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

redbackground posted:

Which is a remake of the Captain Marvel story.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Gavok posted:

Oh, goddamn it. I just wrote up a thing about stuff to expect in Avengers: Infinity War and I totally forgot to include the Thanoscopter! At least I was able to fit in Thanos being crushed by a space truck.

The link is pro-click, not for the crap I wrote, but for the guy in the comments losing his poo poo over how Mar-Vell is getting disrespected and everyone should boycott.

Ahaha holy poo poo that guy.

Craiggers
Oct 29, 2007
not preggers
Can anyone suggest a good mail order comic service? There aren't any good shops in my area and I'm still addicted to physical copies of books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Craiggers posted:

Can anyone suggest a good mail order comic service? There aren't any good shops in my area and I'm still addicted to physical copies of books.

It's been 7 years since I done it, but I subscribed to several Marvel comics direct and they were very nice, and cheaper than buying retail. One time I didn't get an issue of Ultimate Spide-Man, but it only took one short and polite phonecall to get a replacement copy.