Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Jibo posted:

Not far after that you get the level 2 shop which will give you four items most the time but some times three. Currently I'm at 165.

I got level 2 shop right at 100, I just meant it looks like it goes to level 3+. I'm wondering if it's going to be at 200 or 500 or what though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jibo posted:

Not far after that you get the level 2 shop which will give you four items most the time but some times three. Currently I'm at 165.

I got level 2 right on the dot at 100. You get any unlocks past then?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

its limit is 999

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Level 2 shop is at 100.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The loving donation machine keeps jamming up after like 4 or 5 coins, is anyone else having the same issue?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

The loving donation machine keeps jamming up after like 4 or 5 coins, is anyone else having the same issue?

It does that by design, I'm pretty sure.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Yeah, you need to fill it over multiple runs.

So there's an item that gives you a point of invincibility every time you enter a room. Combine that with shielded tears and uh,

Didn't get a change to go to Sheol or Cathedral unfortunately. Is there an achievement for doing those no-hit too?

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I'm picturing a Lot character who starts with terrible stats but E. Coli and that item that makes you immune to damage from the front.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

gently caress Monstro's Lung. Stupid thing just ruined a perfectly good run for me.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Read posted:

I'm not sure how they thought it made sense to nerf Cain but add Azazel into the game.

it was less about nerfing cain and more about making the phd not useless because all it did was give a single effect that the lucky foot gave and that thing even came w/ a lot of other poo poo

also who cares

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

it was less about nerfing cain and more about making the phd not useless because all it did was give a single effect that the lucky foot gave and that thing even came w/ a lot of other poo poo

also who cares

Ah, yes, the PHD that allows you to get R U A Wizard. :psyduck:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Azazel's natural dps and mobility are crazy. i think if you want easy no damage clears you should probably use him

I tried this and I just cannot kill bosses with Azazel reliably without getting hit, you have to get so goddamned close.

That doesn't mean I can't kill bosses, Azazel vaporizes bosses. I just can't dodge reliably in the normal boss arenas.

Azazel is clearly the "speedrun" character though. He just tears through everyone and everything so very fast. I meandered through the game and I got the boss rush after Mom on accident. And then proceeded to slaughter said rush by using his flying to sit on top of the rocks in the room. :v:

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 6, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

It's probably random in the good old BoI style of "gently caress you". It's a shame that so much randomness is still involved.

Rocketlex posted:

Luck is actually not important at all and the game's been very purposefully designed that way. Every room is crafted to be beatable with a bare minimum of abilities (hence stuff like The Purist being a thing.) What this means is that every build is technically viable and can win the game, with the quality of the build only determining the difficulty of victory, not the possibility.

Binding of Isaac is a great game.

..and I couldn't disagree more with this. Well, the first part anyway. I've spent so many hundred hours in the original game that I couldn't possibly say it's a bad game, but it (and unfortunately this game too) has it's fair share of "HEY GUESS WHAT, HAVE SOME DAMAGE". There are so many rooms where you literally can't avoid taking damage, and that could easily either spell your doom or rob you of an achievment. Some may argue that most (not all!) rooms have some way of avoiding damage, whether that is having flight, massive damage or some way to damage the whole room.. but even still, getting the no-damage achievements etc. is a lot up to luck.

Though.. that, dead baby jokes and potty-humour aside, game still owns :cheers:

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Hey so which item makes it so that you teleport out of a room the moment you take damage so I can add it to my "never pick this item up under any loving circumstances" list? I have no idea what caused that but it killed a pretty good run I had going.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Ah, yes, the PHD that allows you to get R U A Wizard. :psyduck:

it's been posted like 10 times but that wears off after a little bit so it's not like it's some run-ending poo poo

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
The first boss I get in the Necropolis after unlocking it are two Dark Ones in a big room. The harder variant of them :gonk:

Kaethela posted:

gently caress Monstro's Lung. Stupid thing just ruined a perfectly good run for me.

There must be some stat or item that decreases the time it takes to charge, because I was doing the Computer Savy challenge and got that room that rerolls all your items, and I had some new setup where it would fire after about a second.

By the way that might be a legit way to beat some of the really tough challenges, get super lucky and reroll your items into some new sweet setup. It still counts as winning the challenge with them :v:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

BlackFrost posted:

Hey so which item makes it so that you teleport out of a room the moment you take damage so I can add it to my "never pick this item up under any loving circumstances" list? I have no idea what caused that but it killed a pretty good run I had going.

Cursed eye. It's bad.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BlackFrost posted:

Wondering about this as well, but I think one of the items that do this might actually be the Lucky Foot.

e:

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Cursed eye. It's bad.

Wait, which one is that? Charged multi-shot?
Guess I've actually gotten that early on all of my Cain runs (like, 3 runs). Huh.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 6, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

it's been posted like 10 times but that wears off after a little bit so it's not like it's some run-ending poo poo

I'm not complaining that it ruins the run; I'm complaining that it's bad enough that PHD considering it to be a good pill makes PHD less valuable.

meat on a Friday
Dec 9, 2010

I was having a pretty decent run earlier, and then I found some room with 6 dots. When I entered it, I no longer had brimstone or a beggar follower. It gave me 2 new familiars, very large tears, some effect that had a chance to slow all enemies entering a room, fear shot, bombs that explode with tears, 4 health ups, tooth shot, and many other effects I can't remember. All from entering one room. Really strange.

Later I found a tiny planet and easily destroyed every other room I entered. Sadly I couldn't go further than sheol.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

It really seems like this game doesn't drop health and bombs as much as the previous one, but it gives way more in the way of items. This leads to me getting runs where I either get game breaking items or combinations that effortlessly carry me past mom, or I can't find any hearts at all and just die.

It could just be luck since I'm only 5-10 runs in. I didn't think the save problem affected me be my saves were still there when restarting the game, but steam cloud sync kicked in and removed it. Fixing those slashes in that txt file fixed it for future saves probably.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Cursed eye. It's bad.

That's...a shame, I enjoyed the tear-shotgun. Why the gently caress would it have a secondary effect like that. :psyduck:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Azazel + Ludovico Technique = easy Mama's Boy

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

Azazel + Ludovico Technique = easy Mama's Boy

Azazel in general seems to be the way to go if you want no-hit achievements. Not having to rely on RNG to give you flight in order to avoid certain guaranteed-damage-rooms really helps.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that and Ludovico just allows you to kind of move to a safe spot and deal with everything. The only no-damage I don't have is Dark Boy, messed that up on that run.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Comrade Flynn posted:

Where is the Lil Brimstone on the first floor?

Just right, up, right in the treasure room from the start point. Is it not the same on your end? There's an interesting thought, non-code seeds having different results between machines...

In here:

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Iny posted:

Ring Worm + Tiny Planet = incredible bullshit, I'm laughing really hard at this

And then I picked up Death's Touch and it turns my tears into giant scythes that penetrate, and those three combined with Mom's Contact Lens (+ freeze shot) and Tar Ball or whatever (+ slow shot, trail of tar) actually make it go from terrible to pretty good, it just covers the screen with enemy-freezing scythes.

(I get the feeling it would also be amazing with Brimstone or a Technology.)

edit: Wow. I got Bob's Rotten Brain and the item that makes bombs explode in tears and every time the brain hits, the burst of scythes very nearly fills the screen.

edit edit: well that sure did one-shot Mom.

edit edit edit: and then I died immediately in the Womb because I had two heart containers and no way to reliably hit anything I was aiming at, but it was fun.

Iny fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 6, 2014

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Azazel is terrible, charged shots are terrible, brimstone is terrible.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Okay uhh I just entered an orange room that took 2 keys to unlock the door and it seems to have given me a shitload of powerups. Anyone know what this is?

Edit: I just randomly got the unicorn invincibility in a room too! haha drat what the hell this run is insane.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I got the Spider Boy powerup (4x shots) with azael and holy lmao it takes forever to charge up but things loving DIE

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Azazel is amazing, I'm doing a lot of good runs with him(before they hopefully nerf him because holy poo poo). If you pick up some +damage items(shielded tears + brimstone is also really amazing! Especially for bullet hell bosses) you can absolutely melt bosses.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Your Computer posted:

Azazel in general seems to be the way to go if you want no-hit achievements. Not having to rely on RNG to give you flight in order to avoid certain guaranteed-damage-rooms really helps.

Yeah the only damage one I had trouble with was the caves, because that's soon enough that you don't have time to stack a bunch of really useful defensive items, so you have to go with mostly pure dodging ability. Kept choking and getting hit by the dumbest stuff like clearing out an entire room only to accidentally bump into a campfire in the corner.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Thanks Internet posted:

Yeah, you need to fill it over multiple runs.

Yeah its just kinda annoying. My first run I found a dollar and dumped like 60 cents into it, now its like a few pennies. Just a bummer.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth Windu posted:

A game like this will never find a wide audience, nor should it, but for old roguelike vets like myself it definitely scratches an itch.

:allears:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm really bad at this game. :saddowns:

Womb keeps killing me. I'll feel all set to take out the heart then welp I just lost all my health in one room full of super fast enemies I've never seen before. I guess I just need to get better at dodging but gently caress it feels so lovely to make it all the way there then die another dumb death.

EDIT: WHY DO I KEEP PICKING UP MONSTRO'S LUNG GODDAMMIT :negative:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 6, 2014

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
4th in most people playing it on steam, but yeah no wide audience.

Tried it out with a controller, and man it's so much better. Though Isaac seems way faster with using it for some reason.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Aww, there's a max heart limit now? That's no fun.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm really bad at this game. :saddowns:

Womb keeps killing me. I'll feel all set to take out the heart then welp I just lost all my health in one room full of super fast enemies I've never seen before. I guess I just need to get better at dodging but gently caress it feels so lovely to make it all the way there then die another dumb death.

I'm 3/21, dude, and I had 100h clocked into the game (probably way less than that actually because of SAM/idling and poo poo).

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
This is how good I was at original Isaac. Close to 100 hours and never beat Isaac either

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/EfC1eC0.jpg][/img]

I actually started a lets play of it just so I can see if I actually improve over time or not.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Azazel/Brimstone + Antigrav bullets. :stare: