Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

Eugene is in Oregon, though I don't think it's any more liberal than any generic college town.

It used to be though. You'd see the same crowd of WTO protesters migrating back and forth from SF to Portland, Seattle and Vancouver B.C. take a layover there, or would. Also they let OWS camp out for longer than most places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Boulder, CO
Eugene, WA
San Francisco

Eugene is both in Oregon and barely a city. Seattle, Boston, NYC, San Francisco.

EDIT: Los Angeles and Portland probably both deserve mentioning here, too. Los Angeles is less leftist, and Portland smaller. Also, LA sucks.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 5, 2014

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Vin BioEthanol posted:

I have a kinda firm lump in my elbow between the rough elbow skin and the bones after a bike wreck. Been 10 weeks now and its painful (sometimes involuntary cussword-so) to bump into stuff or rest on an arm rest, what is it? When will it go away? About the size of a somewhat crushed-flat almond. If I move it to the side and feel around there's no pain in the bones just this lump itself.

Weird thing is, it didn't really develop until a week, week and a half after. I messed up my shoulder a good bit and thought I just scraped up my elbow. Didnt notice anything else down there. Once my shoulder started getting good and the elbow scrape started healing this showed up. E: lump is 3/4" away from the scrape so maybe not totally related unless the skin rotated. (Johnnie Cochran rhyme for y'all)

E again : more googling leads me to hematoma but it seems that's after a bad bruise? I had no bruise look or discoloration at all wreck-day to now, just a decently deep scrape.

Hematoma is just a bruise, that is all. Doctors have all sorts of fancy words for poo poo. This is one of them.

If you have a lump under your skin and it moves around somewhat freely when you wiggle it then you're probably OK. If it doesn't move when you try to do that or it hurts to much to play with it go and see a doctor.

Given that it hurts 10 weeks later you probably should get it checked out or play with it less shut up my I'll play with it as much as I like

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

TheRamblingSoul posted:

What are the most liberal or leftist cities/states in the USA? For several reasons, I'm planning on moving to Seattle after a few years in Taiwan. It's either that or San Francisco for me.

A place that replaces Columbus Day with Indigenous People's Day is pretty alright by me.

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheRamblingSoul posted:

What are the most liberal or leftist cities/states in the USA? For several reasons, I'm planning on moving to Seattle after a few years in Taiwan. It's either that or San Francisco for me.

A place that replaces Columbus Day with Indigenous People's Day is pretty alright by me.

Wow, the Economist has your answer:

Minneapolis is, in fact, fairly liberal, but like Detroit, cold as loving balls in the winter and hot and humid as balls in the summer.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there an OTC cough suppressant that works for about 8 hours?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Delsym

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Thanatosian posted:

Wow, the Economist has your answer:

Minneapolis is, in fact, fairly liberal, but like Detroit, cold as loving balls in the winter and hot and humid as balls in the summer.

Minneapolis has the highest number of theaters and fortune 500 companies per capita in the entire US. Total population of Metro area is 3.8 mil.

It's liberal, great public school system (always in top 3), and cost of living is practically pennies for comparable cities.

People bitch about the weather however it's not that bad, you just need to find outdoor activities to do all year round and can't shut yourself inside for 4-5 month or surprise, you're not going to be happy. The humidity is bad for a couple weeks a year, but unless you're in a dry area it's not unlike what you'd get across most of the country.

While winter is cold just like the humidity it's only really bad a couple weeks a year. I think most people complain about the weather here because quality of life is so good there is nothing else to complain about.

For what it's worth the only other places I'd want to live are Denver, Missoula, Chicago, Austin, in that order. San Francisco would be on the list but the cost of living is ridiculous.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I wouldn't really suggest it as a place to move to unless you have a real reason to, but Pittsburgh is a lot nicer than people generally think, is cheap as hell to live in, and the weather isn't bad compared to a lot of the NE and Midwest.

I rent a two bedroom rowhouse in a desirable neighborhood for $550 a month. I save a shitload of money for not having a problem dealing with the fact that the only bathroom is in the basement.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Isn't Eugene, OR supposed to be the place where all the old hippies exiled from '60s San Francisco went? Plus I've heard there's a pretty big glass-blowing scene there.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Tiggum posted:

I've been watching Arrow recently and just finished season two. Oliver owns the majority of Queen Consolidated and was also the CEO, but then Isabel Rochev became the CEO and suddenly Oliver had no money. How was that supposed to have worked? It made no sense to me.

In the show, the majority of his worth comes from owning most of Queen Consolidated. He doesn't really have a lot of liquid assets or cash on hand. He then (for plot reasons) decided to sign off his shares in the company to Isabel.

Look at it like this, Bill Gates is technically worth billions, but only so long as he owns majority share in Microsoft. He doesn't actually have a billion dollars in cash. Maybe he has a couple million in various banks that he could get access to. I don't understand how stocks and ownership and all that actually generates income, but since he is (was?) CEO, he still gets a salary.

Now, if he sold all his MS stock, then he would probably have that billion dollars available to him. Because he sold it, and someone paid for it.

If, instead, he signs it away to some random person with out any money changing hands, (and he's no longer CEO) now all he has is whatever money he has saved in the bank. He doesn't own the billions of dollars worth of MS anymore.

That's kind of what happened on Arrow, he signed over his ownership under the assumption that he could just grab it back after whatever crisis went away. But that obviously doesn't happen in the show.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

TheRamblingSoul posted:

From Representation in Municipal Government by Chris Tausanovitch and Christopher Warshaw, which measured the mean policy conservatism in every U.S. city and town with a population above 20,000 people.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

c0ldfuse posted:

Minneapolis has the highest number of theaters and fortune 500 companies per capita in the entire US. Total population of Metro area is 3.8 mil.

It's liberal, great public school system (always in top 3), and cost of living is practically pennies for comparable cities.

People bitch about the weather however it's not that bad, you just need to find outdoor activities to do all year round and can't shut yourself inside for 4-5 month or surprise, you're not going to be happy. The humidity is bad for a couple weeks a year, but unless you're in a dry area it's not unlike what you'd get across most of the country.

While winter is cold just like the humidity it's only really bad a couple weeks a year. I think most people complain about the weather here because quality of life is so good there is nothing else to complain about.

For what it's worth the only other places I'd want to live are Denver, Missoula, Chicago, Austin, in that order. San Francisco would be on the list but the cost of living is ridiculous.
Spoken like a true Midwesterner (or possibly Northeasterner).

The weather in Minnesota is hellish. About the only places it gets worse are Alaska (and not all of Alaska) and Upstate New York (and that's only if you consider snow worse than cold). There are months where the temperature doesn't rise above 30 degrees. There are months where the heat index doesn't drop below 80 degrees, and I'm not just talking daytime; it's hot and humid as gently caress both during the day and at night. For those of you from Minnesota, that is not normal.

There's a reason the cost of living is so low in spite of it being a relatively cosmopolitan city.

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Isn't Eugene, OR supposed to be the place where all the old hippies exiled from '60s San Francisco went? Plus I've heard there's a pretty big glass-blowing scene there.
Yeah, Eugene is the Berkeley of Oregon.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Minneapolis weather is nothing. There's maybe one week out of the year where it gets actually serious cold, the rest of the time you're just putting up with slush and vague chill.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

zachol posted:

Minneapolis weather is nothing. There's maybe one week out of the year where it gets actually serious cold, the rest of the time you're just putting up with slush and vague chill.

The average high in January is 24 degrees.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Yeah, perfectly fine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thanatosian posted:

The average high in January is 24 degrees.

Heating exists, clothing exists, and they even have futuristic tubeways between a bunch of buildings in the city.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Heating exists, clothing exists, and they even have futuristic tubeways between a bunch of buildings in the city.
gently caress that poo poo.

Move to Key West. Cost of living is ludicrous but the weather is perfect and it's full of old hippies who know the words to every Jimmy Buffet song.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
If all you care about is weather and cost of living, move to Costa Rica or Argentina or something.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Minneapolis is a great place for the reasons listed above and because Minnesota is a great state to live in. The first time it hits 30 degrees people will complain but after that it's pointless. Everyone gets through it together, and somehow people survive and thrive. If you've never driven in snow there's always the public transport system which is very good, several of my friends in the Cities don't own cars. If you don't fancy Minneapolis you can move to St. Paul, and it's a totally different flavor.

I grew up in MPLS and have lived and traveled in other states/countries but I chose to return to Minnesota. There's things to do year-round, the people are generally friendly, quality of life is high and cost of living is low, the state parks and wilderness areas are beautiful, the international airport is right in town, etc. Not to mention it's a liberal state and Minneapolis celebrates Indigenous People's day.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Midwest winters are worse than Alaska winters because of the ocean. One day last year the windchill in Fargo was below -70F. Your eyeballs would freeze open if unprotected. :stare:

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Seriously Minneapolis is like a tropical beach compared to north-central Minnesota. The snow itself and the poo poo you do to get around it is a million times worse than the cold.
Actually now that I think about it, that would probably be the most dangerous part about moving to Minneapolis, if you're intending to drive a lot and aren't used to driving in freezing slush.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

c0ldfuse posted:

The humidity is bad for a couple weeks a year, but unless you're in a dry area it's not unlike what you'd get across most of the country.

zachol posted:

Seriously Minneapolis is like a tropical beach compared to north-central Minnesota.

haha, it's a warning sign when people keep making comparisons to lovely places and saying at least we're not that bad!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CzarChasm posted:

In the show, the majority of his worth comes from owning most of Queen Consolidated. He doesn't really have a lot of liquid assets or cash on hand. He then (for plot reasons) decided to sign off his shares in the company to Isabel.

Didn't he just make her CEO? Why would he also give her all his shares?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Van Dis posted:

haha, it's a warning sign when people keep making comparisons to lovely places and saying at least we're not that bad!

It is literally the coldest major city in the U.S.. "Frozen hellscape" is much more accurate than "not that bad," assuming you're from almost literally anywhere else.

EDIT: it's also worth noting that that "all-time low of -41 degrees" is not including wind chill.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 6, 2014

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

Thanatosian posted:

It is literally the coldest major city in the U.S.. "Frozen hellscape" is much more accurate than "not that bad," assuming you're from almost literally anywhere else.

That article is grossing me out. I love being from the Northeast and everything all the big Northern cities have to offer, but as I get older I can see how so many people just hold their nose and pack up to Florida. All those cities on the list have like 100+ days a year where it's below 32 ughhhhh.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Unless you live in Canada, you wimps. It's so cold in this city that they don't even salt the roads because the chemical reaction doesn't work.

You just drive in gritty ice canyons of death for six months. No big deal. :canada: :smug:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Rubies posted:

That article is grossing me out. I love being from the Northeast and everything all the big Northern cities have to offer, but as I get older I can see how so many people just hold their nose and pack up to Florida. All those cities on the list have like 100+ days a year where it's below 32 ughhhhh.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, is not a large city. It can get to -20 here in a bad winter.

There are maybe 10 direct flights out of here. Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, Denver, Atlanta, Dallas... the major hubs. And also, THREE CITIES IN FLORIDA. Also Phoenix. Because Allegiant Air knows their drat market. They know that people want to get the gently caress out when it's -20.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Thanatosian posted:

EDIT: it's also worth noting that that "all-time low of -41 degrees" is not including wind chill.

Omaha at #5 sounds about right, and the summers are the worst of anywhere I've ever lived. So much humidity. Living in Denver is basically paradise, at least weather-wise, compared to Omaha.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rubies posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying no one should ever move to Minneapolis. But the dude asking the question was coming off three years in Taiwan, which is a tropical-to-sub-tropical climate, and if he's not originally from the Northeast or the Midwest, that loving weather is going to be a shock.

The other thing to be aware of is that "Spring" doesn't start until late April at the earliest, and that snowfall frequently starts in October.

When your big selling point for weather is "we're only a little colder than Anchorage," "not that bad" seems a bit disingenuous.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

October is the proper time for snow to start.
Living in Portland this fall I am absolutely freaked by how warm it still is. Even 60 degrees in the evening? Craziness.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying no one should ever move to Minneapolis. But the dude asking the question was coming off three years in Taiwan, which is a tropical-to-sub-tropical climate, and if he's not originally from the Northeast or the Midwest, that loving weather is going to be a shock.

The other thing to be aware of is that "Spring" doesn't start until late April at the earliest, and that snowfall frequently starts in October.

When your big selling point for weather is "we're only a little colder than Anchorage," "not that bad" seems a bit disingenuous.

But people should move to Minneapolis (or any of the larger cities in Minnesota) because it's an awesome place to live. The original question was regarding a place that was super liberal/leftist and celebrated Indigenous People's Day. Minneapolis is both of those things and is a really neat place on top of that.

The only reason people freak out about the weather is because it's different than a lot of places in the Lower 48. If you're not used to something of course it will take an adjustment to get used to, and to someone who has never experienced -40 degree weather it's not something you can even imagine. But extremes like that don't happen that often, last winter being an exception, and when they do, it's kind of fun in a twisted way. It makes people pull together. Winter isn't evil, people just like to complain about it.

Anyway, if you're choosing a place to live with the primary concern being that it's a liberal state, you're going to have to weigh how important weather is to you since options can be pretty limited.

FWIW I spent several weeks in the Philippines for disaster relief last year. There was literally a 140 degree difference between there and here but it only takes a few days for your body to adjust. There are four distinct seasons in Minnesota (aside from the joke "There's only two seasons in Minnesota, winter and construction season"), summer just doesn't automatically slam into winter, and autumn in MN is beautiful. Plenty of time to adjust and enjoy your awesome MPLS life while you're at it.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
If it wasn't evidently clear whenever these questions come up that us Minnesotans come out of the woodwork to sing the praises of our state, people who live here love living here and identify with the space strongly.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bunch of babies. Go live in Gunnison, CO and come back.

never again

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Like I honestly couldn't stand living in St. Paul, the bus system is poo poo and gets even worse in the winter, but that's only tangentially related to the cold. If you can get a nice job and apartment in downtown Minneapolis that only involves walking a few blocks/using the skyway, I'd jump on that poo poo immediately.
e: Driving/commuting is a bad idea. Don't drive in Minnesota if you can help it.

zachol fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 6, 2014

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have an older laptop I'm using as an HTPC, with a 10/100 ethernet connection & wifi. I'm getting around 64Mbps thru wifi. I grabbed a 600 Mbps Powerline setup hoping to increase the network transfer speed. The speeds are not great thru the ethernet from a gigabit computer (under 100 Mbps thru LAN Speed Test)

Since I'm capped at 100 Mbps thru the ethernet card, would getting a Gigabit card for the laptop increase the speed by allowing more throughput? I hooked up the Powerline to a desktop in the same room as the router and from a Speedtest of 850Mbps down/100Mbps up on a hardwired ethernet connection, it registered 196Mbps down/57Mbps up. Naturally this signal is going to degrade when I go further out in the house from the source.

My goal is for fast file transfers of large files back and forth.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The furnace in my rental property won't stop blowing (cold) air. I tried setting the thermostat to 40 degrees, nothing. I turned the thermostat off, it kept blowing. I shut off the circuit breaker and turned the switch off on the furnace; the big fuse looks fine. The white/red wires don't appear broken anywhere that I can see. It's getting cold out here in Denver, I'm not gonna put up with a busted furnace; I put a maintenance request in, but is there anything else I can check on my own?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Seattle is #3 on that list, and, honestly move to Seattle. Cost-of-living is way, way lower than SF, we've got legal weed, and the weather is mild. It drizzles for 8 months, and then its loving gorgeous for 4. Summers float around 75, and winter rarely dips below 45. If it snows, you, a grown-assed adult, will get a snow-day as the city shuts down in a mad panic.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

One thing I'll say about Minneapolis / St. Paul, y'all are hardcore about biking. My wife and I drove up there in the scariest, craziest blizzard I've ever been in. Dozens and dozens of cars off the road all up through I-35. Get into town, and people are just commuting on their bikes like it ain't no thang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Bovril Delight posted:

I have an older laptop I'm using as an HTPC, with a 10/100 ethernet connection & wifi. I'm getting around 64Mbps thru wifi. I grabbed a 600 Mbps Powerline setup hoping to increase the network transfer speed. The speeds are not great thru the ethernet from a gigabit computer (under 100 Mbps thru LAN Speed Test)

Since I'm capped at 100 Mbps thru the ethernet card, would getting a Gigabit card for the laptop increase the speed by allowing more throughput? I hooked up the Powerline to a desktop in the same room as the router and from a Speedtest of 850Mbps down/100Mbps up on a hardwired ethernet connection, it registered 196Mbps down/57Mbps up. Naturally this signal is going to degrade when I go further out in the house from the source.

My goal is for fast file transfers of large files back and forth.

Yes, your speed will be theoretically the quickest using the GigE card. However, depending on how old this laptop is, your hard drive may be a limiting factor. When you're speaking about a 100Mbps ethernet port, the age makes me think that something around 400Mbps write to the laptop might be the functional limit.

Also, your description makes it seem like ethernet is readily accessible for the laptop (or maybe you're dragging it into the other room, transferring files, and then replacing it?). You should absolutely be using ethernet over powerline or wifi; the potential for interference that slows your connection is far higher with powerline and wifi.