Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

BlackFrost posted:

Aww, there's a max heart limit now? That's no fun.

I don't mind it,because I like a bit of challenge. Part of me is a bit sad that it does make the game less DANGEROUSLY CHEESY with lucky foot, or PHD pill popping.

Look for the demon buddy that turns red hearts into soul hearts, that little dude is a game changer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Lamb (new end game boss) kill w/ Blue Baby unlocks if anyone is curious: http://i.imgur.com/lba7IZS.png

drunken officeparty posted:

Anyone have more than 100 cents donated to the thing in the shop? I just hit 105 and it looks to keep going.

I have 230, I believe 200 (Lvl 3) is the max upgrade. Not sure.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Haha, Pin can still blow himself up.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

What's the deal with the walled/multilocked rooms with beds in them? Is that the Let's Make a Deal goat outcome or is there some kind of functionality I'm missing with them?

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

I don't mind it,because I like a bit of challenge. Part of me is a bit sad that it does make the game less DANGEROUSLY CHEESY with lucky foot, or PHD pill popping.

Look for the demon buddy that turns red hearts into soul hearts, that little dude is a game changer!

That little dude is the reason I discovered the limit, haha. Sold all my hearts to the devil after I got that little guy.

Also, does taking Satan's early access to Sheol make unlocking certain endings impossible? I noticed I still got Transcendence but the ending never popped up for it, it played the Sheol ending instead. I'd rather not miss out on those endings even if they don't mean much because seeing the grayed out "END 3" until the end is really going to bug the poo poo out of me, heh.

Edit: I still really like those runs where you just tear Satan to shreds in three seconds. :allears:

BlackFrost fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 6, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Power of Pecota posted:

What's the deal with the walled/multilocked rooms with beds in them? Is that the Let's Make a Deal goat outcome or is there some kind of functionality I'm missing with them?

Climb into the bed to restore all your health. You can also bomb the carpet to get some extra goodies or skip the floor.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Power of Pecota posted:

The bed will fully heal you. The rug can be bombed to reveal either an early exit or a mini treasure room.

Finally got Luvidico. It's hard to fight Mom with that thing, isn't it? Mom has changed enough I'm having trouble with her in general.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Your Computer posted:

..and I couldn't disagree more with this. Well, the first part anyway. I've spent so many hundred hours in the original game that I couldn't possibly say it's a bad game, but it (and unfortunately this game too) has it's fair share of "HEY GUESS WHAT, HAVE SOME DAMAGE". There are so many rooms where you literally can't avoid taking damage, and that could easily either spell your doom or rob you of an achievment. Some may argue that most (not all!) rooms have some way of avoiding damage, whether that is having flight, massive damage or some way to damage the whole room.. but even still, getting the no-damage achievements etc. is a lot up to luck.

I'm finding this is more true in Rebirth than the original game, and that's unfortunate. The "explode on death" type of Champion enemies are really a bad idea in this regard. 90% of the time I take unexpected damage, it's from one of those.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The hole down to Sheol hosed up on the run that I unlocked Everything's Terrible with, sending me to the Cathedral. There I found Infamy and facetanked Isaac after whiffing a Tammy's Head shot with Azazel.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I just beat isaac on one red heart and it was, very stressful
No problems with the tear patterns but the carpet-bombing light rays are a massive pain in the dick.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Read posted:

Lamb (new end game boss) kill w/ Blue Baby unlocks if anyone is curious: http://i.imgur.com/lba7IZS.png

I have 230, I believe 200 (Lvl 3) is the max upgrade. Not sure.

From what I keep hearing there's another boss after that so v:v:v

Haven't even seen the new guy yet though but exciting none the less.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Any "goon approved" source of BoI:R knowledge? So far I know about http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/ and http://platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth but they're both missing a lot of stuff and it'd probably be fun to contribute. Then again, maybe the moderators/web admins already have a backlog and "contributing" would just increase their workload :(

It's both fun and really frustrating how nothing is known about the items yet.
Rebirth seem better at actually telling you what an item does, but it seems there are still so many hidden effects on items (a little bit of speed up here, a little bit of tears down here), which is a shame since those things add up and could completely screw your run.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

Similar question that may have been asked, but what are the stone rooms with the single spike square in the center supposed to be? Looks like they're marked with chains or something on the mini-map.

Digging the game so far. It's more challenging without frame-rate drops.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

I just beat isaac on one red heart and it was, very stressful
No problems with the tear patterns but the carpet-bombing light rays are a massive pain in the dick.

The light rays don't hit the corners as far as I can tell.

Plan Z posted:

Similar question that may have been asked, but what are the stone rooms with the single spike square in the center supposed to be? Looks like they're marked with chains or something on the mini-map.

Digging the game so far. It's more challenging without frame-rate drops.

Sacrifice rooms. Sometimes you get loot for impaling yourself on the spikes. In the old version you were limited to one drop per room and were guaranteed something if it dropped you to your last half heart.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

Plan Z posted:

Those are sacrifice rooms. If you walk over the spike you have a chance of getting a chest. Not worth it most of the time.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Rocketlex posted:

The "explode on death" type of Champion enemies are really a bad idea in this regard. 90% of the time I take unexpected damage, it's from one of those.

Most (all? I don't really know) of the champs that explode like bombs are dark green, and the ones that shoot out bullets on death are reddish.

NoUU posted:

Those are sacrifice rooms. If you walk over the spike you have a chance of getting a chest. Not worth it most of the time.

Totally worth it if you have extra hearts lying around the level

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dis astranagant posted:

The light rays don't hit the corners as far as I can tell.

yeah, it ignored the top right and bottom left corners as far as i could tell. basically all i figured was run the way the lasers are going and hug the corner. i was a tad bit overpowered in that fight but i also never got hit by the lasers so there's that.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Otto von Ruthless posted:

Most (all? I don't really know) of the champs that explode like bombs are dark green, and the ones that shoot out bullets on death are reddish.

I'm preeeeetty sure that it's all randomized per game. I've gotten exploding red ones, bullet blue ones, fly-giving green ones, etc.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Kgummy posted:

Does anyone know how to actually swap pickupables on the 'more pickupable room' items? I remember reading the blog and it said that it involved the map button, but it doesn't seem to actually do anything.

Did you do a devil deal after you got the Mama's Boy achievement? Samson only gets unlocked after you actually end the second level.

I did on either the first or the second floor of the womb, can't remember which. And now I'm kinda pissed that Samson has that kinda requirement, while the "don't get hit"-achievements don't.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Your Computer posted:

I'm preeeeetty sure that it's all randomized per game. I've gotten exploding red ones, bullet blue ones, fly-giving green ones, etc.

Your game may be bugged then, because its been really consistent for mine. Red turns meaty and respawns, green leaves a creep trail, olive green moves faster, violet spits out an extra bullet, powdery blue explodes into bullets, etc. etc.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

Your game may be bugged then, because its been really consistent for mine. Red turns meaty and respawns, green leaves a creep trail, olive green moves faster, violet spits out an extra bullet, powdery blue explodes into bullets, etc. etc.

I might also be an idiot and have a hard time discerning their color with my way-too-dark screen :downs:
That said, just minutes ago discovered that you could actually turn up/down gamma ingame. That's the best thing ever! My screen evidently sucks, because I can't actually edit the gamma manually other than choosing between different (terrible) presets, so being able to make the game "lighter" ingame is so good.
Unmodified, curse of darkness actually makes the game so dark that you can't see enemies on my screen :negative:

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Hahaha Head of Krampus is the ultimate anti-Mom's Foot weapon. OHKO, bye bye Tank challenge you were not fun.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
a neat thing with the midas touch item is that it freezes anything even if it can't hurt you, so those spider nest / boil style enemies are a great source of income if you get midas't early.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Just got into a devil room on a really good run, and don't recognize two of the items. Can anyone fill me in so I know what they do?

1. The item icon is the bloody torso of those regular zombie enemies that just leave behind their torso after you shoot their head off
2. Just a red piece of paper with black writing on it. Looks like the contract from the first game, but it's red.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
First is a familiar that leaves a blood trail of damage as it follows you.
Second is an Evil Up (the Missing Page 2). It gives a Sin Heart and higher chance of sin hearts I believe? EDIT: Wait I could be wrong, that might Contract from Below, which doubles drops at the cost of tougher bosses.

HGH fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 6, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Megasabin posted:

Just got into a devil room on a really good run, and don't recognize two of the items. Can anyone fill me in so I know what they do?

1. The item icon is the bloody torso of those regular zombie enemies that just leave behind their torso after you shoot their head off
2. Just a red piece of paper with black writing on it. Looks like the contract from the first game, but it's red.

http://platinumgod.co.uk/ is really helpful for that kind of stuff, shouldn't be more than another day or two before it's completely filled out as it's been getting updated regularly as (I'm assuming) whoever runs it unlocks all the stuff and confirms what it does.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anyone have any tips for Cat Got Your Tongue? I'm starting to get the hang of killing things with the hairball but I'm loving awful at fighting bosses with it.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Having both heart containers + soul hearts limited by the same max sucks in a way. Heart containers are now a lot less valuable and potentially detrimental. I had a run where I found the Prayer Card and with occasional battery pickups I maxxed out my heart containers just to see if it prevented me from picking up soul hearts completely. It did. :eng99:

On the other hand, after trading my last HP away on devil deals I had an absurd dry spell of never finding random spirit heart drops for all of necropolis I/II, leaving me at 1 soulheart when I beat mom. And then I was saved by a devil deal and went on to beat mom's heart.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Unlocked Mamas Boy and at the same time did not get the Angel/Devil room in either floor of the womb. :argh:

Oh well. One more heart kill and I should have permanent portals to Sheol/Cathedral.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

Anyone have any tips for Cat Got Your Tongue? I'm starting to get the hang of killing things with the hairball but I'm loving awful at fighting bosses with it.

Hope for a devil room that can give you a Lil' Brimstone or the explosive brain upgrade from a gold chest. Use one of those as your actual weapon for the rest of the run.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Man I'm really starting to hate those enemies in the womb that hide underground, pop up in a random location and fire 3 shots at you. I've had a couple runs in a row ended by them.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SuicideSnowman posted:

Man I'm really starting to hate those enemies in the womb that hide underground, pop up in a random location and fire 3 shots at you. I've had a couple runs in a row ended by them.

Lumps. Am I right in that in the original game they wouldn't spawn directly underneath you? Not only that, they can also spawn right next you to and instantly shoot you now. Every room with them seems to be pure RNG up to whether you get hit or not :(

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

SuicideSnowman posted:

Yeah those things can be real assholes. They have a real lovely tendency to pop up like a foot away from you, so if you're moving to dodge some other thing's shots you run into them before you can even react.

Your Computer posted:

Lumps. Am I right in that in the original game they wouldn't spawn directly underneath you? Not only that, they can also spawn right next you to and instantly shoot you now. Every room with them seems to be pure RNG up to whether you get hit or not :(
In the original they would spawn away from you and try to shoot you. Those guys are still in, there's just the annoying extra aggressive version now as well.

VDay fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 6, 2014

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
So, has anyone encountered a bug where Isaac just drops bombs on his own all of a sudden? Sometimes I'm so immersed in a boss fight I don't even notice and it ends up killing me. Happens with both keyboard and gamepad. It's not too common, but annoying as poo poo.

Had a darkness challenge run go bad because of this. Might've been for the best though, had minimum fire rate and pitiful damage and everything took forever to kill.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Wugga posted:

So, has anyone encountered a bug where Isaac just drops bombs on his own all of a sudden? Sometimes I'm so immersed in a boss fight I don't even notice and it ends up killing me. Happens with both keyboard and gamepad. It's not too common, but annoying as poo poo.

Had a darkness challenge run go bad because of this. Might've been for the best though, had minimum fire rate and pitiful damage and everything took forever to kill.

Sounds like Explosive Diarrhea. You can get that from a pill and a use item, but I dunno if there's an item that just makes you do it randomly.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Missing Page 2 is a permanent version of Missing Page. Every time you get hit there's a chance to trigger the Necronomicon screen nuke.

I had something strange happen in an arcade. I managed to blow up a blood machine, which produced an IV bag - the second one I'd seen this run. I wanted to hang on to the jar, so I left the arcade. I returned after I beat the boss, and the IV bag had turned into stem cells.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

RatHat posted:

Sounds like Explosive Diarrhea. You can get that from a pill and a use item, but I dunno if there's an item that just makes you do it randomly.

It's not an item, treasure or trinket of any sort. Could happen while standing still, shooting, walking and I'm pretty sure I haven't pressed the bomb button without noticing some 30 times by now.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Okay I beat mom's heart with blue baby now where's my D6? :mad:

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Sanctum posted:

Okay I beat mom's heart with blue baby now where's my D6? :mad:

It's Isaac, not Mom's Heart. :D

e: Does anyone have the chest unlocked, same conditions as vanilla?

Read fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Your Computer posted:

Yeah they definitely seem more obnoxious than in the original. I don't remember dying much to them before.

Those guys and Dingle are my kryptonite. As soon as I enter the room with one of them (unless I've got mega damage) I just assume I'm taking some damage.