Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

fleshweasel posted:

Wow dude. Props for making an 8 year old computer work for you.

I've used it pretty much everyday for the past 8 years. We've been through a lot of crazy poo poo so it's hard to let go. I have an iMac for video editing but I still prefer my Macbook because I'm so used to it. It's like a part of me now in some weird Cronenberg-esque way.

I'm thinking of replacing it next year for something more portable/powerful but I hope this thing is still kicking in 2016. Thank god Mozilla still pushes Firefox updates for Snow Leopard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
While one cannot say the same thing about Tiger, which is the latest version I was able to acquire and install on my uncle's G3 iBook. I did manage to find a browser with some HTML5 capabilities, but when I attempted to view a video on YouTube, the whole machine slowed to an unresponsive crawl until I gave the browser a force quit. Also major laughs at the network hardware, having GigE but only 802.11b wireless.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

lelandjs posted:

I have a 1,1 White MacBook that I keep around because back in high school I made some lovely GarageBand tracks that heavily relied on loops and built in instruments and they won't import into current versions of Garageband because those things are missing. I don't want to lose them forever, therefore my MacBook has a valued place in my closet for those occasions once every couple of years when I want to tool around with old poo poo I did.

(I tried adding the loops and instruments to the current version of GarageBand and while the loops added okay the instruments did not (it would load every single sample one at a time for an instrument every time I launched the project and then ran really really slowly))

Why don't you just export the rendered audio into a new project, while retaining a track with the notes/velocity preserved (but with a different instrument)?

And how often do you work on 8 year old compositions anyways?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

kode54 posted:

While one cannot say the same thing about Tiger, which is the latest version I was able to acquire and install on my uncle's G3 iBook. I did manage to find a browser with some HTML5 capabilities, but when I attempted to view a video on YouTube, the whole machine slowed to an unresponsive crawl until I gave the browser a force quit. Also major laughs at the network hardware, having GigE but only 802.11b wireless.

I still use my 14 year old clamshell occasionally. It's actually surprisingly useful to have a computer that can have email plus a tab or two of Internet open but no more, it really cuts down on the distractions when I need to get some work done.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

1st AD posted:

Why don't you just export the rendered audio into a new project, while retaining a track with the notes/velocity preserved (but with a different instrument)?

Because I... uh...

didn't think of that. :eng99:

(thank you)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ShadeofBlue posted:

I still use my 14 year old clamshell occasionally. It's actually surprisingly useful to have a computer that can have email plus a tab or two of Internet open but no more, it really cuts down on the distractions when I need to get some work done.

Half the fun of ancient hardware is figuring out something to do with it. I've got a first gen iPod touch kicking around that's long since been jailbroken into being a glorified pocket-sized kindle with a handful of kid friendly games on it and some super-basic web functionality. It was way past obsolete when I was given it for free, but it's long since justified the space it takes up in one of my misc. crap drawers. It only gets used once a year or so, but having something that you care so little about that you'll take it into a hottub to relax while reading or that you don't mind if someone else's ill mannered 3 year old throws it across the room can come in handy.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I wish my 2nd gen iPod mini still held a charge. I could fill it with audio books for my mom when she goes on walks. Can you change/find batteries for those things?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Housh posted:

I wish my 2nd gen iPod mini still held a charge. I could fill it with audio books for my mom when she goes on walks. Can you change/find batteries for those things?

Google indicates yes, but it requires a tiny bit of soldering. On the one hand a bit of a PITA, on the other hand a pretty simple operation all things considered and a cheap way to learn the basest of basics about soldering.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Looks like a fun little project. Gonna give it a shot. Thanks!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Yeast posted:

Made the mistake of viewing my photographs on a retina 5K iMac.

Now I just have to sell the trashcan.

Non-American spotted.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yep, Australian on holiday in the North West.

It should arrive just after I get back, if all goes to plan.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I ordered the same hardware configuration, with the same delivery estimate, except I went with a Magic Trackpad because I already have a functioning Magic Mouse. I also for some reason went with the default wireless keyboard and wonder whether I'll really miss the numeric keypad.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

kode54 posted:

I ordered the same hardware configuration, with the same delivery estimate, except I went with a Magic Trackpad because I already have a functioning Magic Mouse. I also for some reason went with the default wireless keyboard and wonder whether I'll really miss the numeric keypad.

I went with the mouse because I have enough trackpads already and I'm using both the Magic Mouse and the Magic Trackpad on the iMac. I like them both equally and think they have their uses, an opinion probably shared by 0.05% of posters here. (I crack up when people post "arghhlgrumbl I can't use that mouse because it's too small to fit my whole palm on it" - well you're not supposed to, and it's even shown in the little videos in the mouse setup!).
I like the keyboard with the keypad, but the advantage of the wireless one is that I can just grab it and use it on my lap once in a while if I feel like it, so it's equal love there as well.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

flavor posted:

I went with the mouse because I have enough trackpads already and I'm using both the Magic Mouse and the Magic Trackpad on the iMac. I like them both equally and think they have their uses, an opinion probably shared by 0.05% of posters here. (I crack up when people post "arghhlgrumbl I can't use that mouse because it's too small to fit my whole palm on it" - well you're not supposed to, and it's even shown in the little videos in the mouse setup!).
I like the keyboard with the keypad, but the advantage of the wireless one is that I can just grab it and use it on my lap once in a while if I feel like it, so it's equal love there as well.

I like my Magic Mouse. That said, my mother does the whole "it's too small! :(" thing so we got her a £10 Bluetooth Mouse.

The insistence on keyboard and mouse manufacturers on using RF, especially when bluetooth is coming in PCs as standard, is actually really annoying from a consumer perspective.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm not happy with how long it takes my 2012 13" MacBook Pro to come out of sleep mode, and sometimes apps take a long time to boot up. Is replacing my hard drive with a 240GB Intel SSD 530 a good option? I also want to upgrade my machine to 8gb RAM.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I'm not happy with how long it takes my 2012 13" MacBook Pro to come out of sleep mode, and sometimes apps take a long time to boot up. Is replacing my hard drive with a 240GB Intel SSD 530 a good option? I also want to upgrade my machine to 8gb RAM.

As someone who's done the same thing with my old 2011 pro, I can definitely recommend it. You'll definitely see a difference in performance.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

yoyomama posted:

As someone who's done the same thing with my old 2011 pro, I can definitely recommend it. You'll definitely see a difference in performance.

Awesome, thank you. If I can just fix these start up issues i'm having, I will be very happy with my little laptop. I only use it for web browsing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sorry if this is the wrong place... I'm taking a stab that it's my mac and not my router/network. (I'll explain.)

iphones, ipads, etc... all when running speedtest ANYWHERE in the house, I get pings of like 16. 35 down, like 15 up.

My 2010 iMac was wifi but 5 feet from Airport Extreme. My pings are 212, download is fantastic at 60, upload is like 7.

I made my iMac wired just now, ran again, same terrible ping, etc.

I ran a ping thingy (forget what I typed now in Terminal) and my average ping to google was like 22.

What gives? Why the discrepancy, and why is my iMac performing so badly here?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Feenix posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong place... I'm taking a stab that it's my mac and not my router/network. (I'll explain.)

iphones, ipads, etc... all when running speedtest ANYWHERE in the house, I get pings of like 16. 35 down, like 15 up.

My 2010 iMac was wifi but 5 feet from Airport Extreme. My pings are 212, download is fantastic at 60, upload is like 7.

I made my iMac wired just now, ran again, same terrible ping, etc.

I ran a ping thingy (forget what I typed now in Terminal) and my average ping to google was like 22.

What gives? Why the discrepancy, and why is my iMac performing so badly here?

You might have some custom DNS or network config settings.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kingnothing posted:

You might have some custom DNS or network config settings.

Is there a place I can check that?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Feenix posted:

Is there a place I can check that?

Wifi icon in menu bar>network settings>advanced.

Alternatively, in the network setting preference pane you can create a new location from the drop down at the top of the window.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kingnothing posted:

Wifi icon in menu bar>network settings>advanced.

Alternatively, in the network setting preference pane you can create a new location from the drop down at the top of the window.

Thank you! :)
I have nothing in DNS or any of the other ones. I *do* have 2 entries in the Proxies section under "Bypass Proxy Settings for these Hosts & Domains.

One of them is *.local. the other is an IP which I am uncertain if I should post here or if that even matters.

Thoughts?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Can you do a 'tracert 8.8.8.8' on your iMac (use Terminal) and cut/paste the output? You can hide the last half of the IP addresses if you want

Can you also do that from another computer in your house (not sure if you have another Mac or a Windows PC perhaps). You'll need to use 'traceroute 8.8.8.8' on a Windows machine, or maybe download a traceroute app on your iPad/whatever.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bob Morales posted:

Can you do a 'tracert 8.8.8.8' on your iMac (use Terminal) and cut/paste the output? You can hide the last half of the IP addresses if you want

FYI it didn't like tracert but full spelling traceroute worked a peach.

code:
traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
 1  192.168.1(192.168. 0.781 ms  0.328 ms  0.195 ms
 2  * * *
 3  te-0-2-0-14-sur02.seattle.wa.seattle.comcast.net (68.86.     9.170 ms  9.339 ms  12.012 ms
 4  be-20-ar01.burien.wa.seattle.comcast.net (69.139.     9.211 ms  11.538 ms
    be-1-sur03.seattle.wa.seattle.comcast.net (69.139.     9.614 ms
 5  he-0-13-0-0-ar01.seattle.wa.seattle.comcast.net (68.86.     8.775 ms
    he-0-15-0-1-ar01.seattle.wa.seattle.comcast.net (68.85.     8.932 ms
    be-20-ar01.seattle.wa.seattle.comcast.net (69.139.    9.438 ms
 6  he-1-3-0-0-10-cr01.seattle.wa.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.     10.990 ms  11.014 ms  11.487 ms
 7  he-0-10-0-1-pe04.seattle.wa.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.     9.510 ms  10.444 ms  85.242 ms
 8  23.30.(23.30.     9.131 ms  10.105 ms  12.257 ms
 9  209.85.(209.85.     22.513 ms
    209.85.(209.85.    8.729 ms  9.365 ms
10  66.249. (66.249.     8.529 ms
    66.249.(66.249.    9.244 ms  11.544 ms
11  216.239. (216.239.    19.154 ms  17.413 ms
    216.239. (216.239.    15.417 ms
12  64.233.174.129 (64.233.    19.500 ms
    216.239. (216.239.     15.264 ms
    216.239. (216.239.     44.705 ms
13  * * *
14  google-public-dns-a.google.com (8.8.8.8)     16.837 ms  18.010 ms  15.803 ms
(wasn't sure what IPs were safe to show and what weren't so I just deleted the back half of all of em.)

[edit] If these are legit pings, should I just assume SpeedTest.net is full of poo poo for some reason?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I mixed up Windows/Mac. Ugh.

That looks normal though.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
Google is failing me on this one: Are the trashcan Mac Pros known for making faint, high-pitched screeching noises? It's intermittent, like it might be hard drive access or seek noise.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ryangs posted:

Google is failing me on this one: Are the trashcan Mac Pros known for making faint, high-pitched screeching noises? It's intermittent, like it might be hard drive access or seek noise.

Trashcan Mac Pros don't have mechanical HDs (unless you attached one).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

ryangs posted:

A very small possibility it's the main fan, or bad oscillators on the logic board. Or the built-in speaker's picking up something.

(Yes, the Mac Pro has a built in mono speaker, otherwise Stebe would be turbo spinning in the grave if he thought he shipped a Mac that didn't make the blong sound that was actually C Minor cranked out on a Korg Wavestation. The speaker's exact location is to the left of the T-bolt ports in the back.)

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!

wdarkk posted:

Trashcan Mac Pros don't have mechanical HDs (unless you attached one).

Oh, duh. I'm thinking of my old Mac Mini that had both a flash drive and a spinny drive.

Binary Badger posted:

A very small possibility it's the main fan, or bad oscillators on the logic board. Or the built-in speaker's picking up something.

It happens during intense usage, and at other odd moments, like when I'm dragging the crop tool in Photoshop.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Sounds like capacitor whine, which can often happen with certain video cards/chipsets. Not a whole lot to be done about it, I don't think.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Anandtech noticed it too.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7603/mac-pro-review-late-2013

" I've had one weird issue with the internal speaker: it occasionally produces a high pitched noise, requiring a power cycle to clear. I haven't been able to root cause the problem yet, it seems to happen while the speaker is muted (only to surface once I've unmuted the speaker) and after I've been torturing/benchmarking the machine. I'm not sure if it's tied to plugging/unplugging Thunderbolt 2 devices while it's on or if it's something in software that's triggering it. "

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've just been given a last-minute request to help my sister install Windows 8.1 on a Mac laptop via Parallels. I'm not a Mac user and I hadn't even heard of Parallels until now. The laptop in question is from 2009, but other than that I know nothing about it (and I don't have it yet). My question is, what is the likelihood that Parallels + Windows 8.1 will perform well on this machine? I know it's impossible to say with certainty since you don't know the model, but if you had to guess?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

^^^ As long as it's got at least 8 GB of RAM, I wouldn't worry.. anything less and it's probably not going to run too fast.

ryangs: You could just use externals plugged into the speaker port and use the Sound control panel to route to the externals only and see if that helps..

As a last resort, the internal speaker could be unplugged..

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
So have an of you with shiny Retina iMacs done any gaming? Supposedly a lot of macrumors dudes are complaining about the GPU throttling down / cooking itself due to heat:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1815601

I was kind of interested in one, now in having doubts. Anyone gaming on the new iMacs have any insight?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

caiman posted:

I've just been given a last-minute request to help my sister install Windows 8.1 on a Mac laptop via Parallels. I'm not a Mac user and I hadn't even heard of Parallels until now. The laptop in question is from 2009, but other than that I know nothing about it (and I don't have it yet). My question is, what is the likelihood that Parallels + Windows 8.1 will perform well on this machine? I know it's impossible to say with certainty since you don't know the model, but if you had to guess?

Unless it has 8GB of ram and a SSD, it's not going to be very enjoyable. It should work though.

2009 is getting pretty old for stuff like that. If it has 2GB ram, no. 4GB, doable. 8GB, ideal.

BootCamp will be a bit quicker, if that's an option.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Bonobos posted:

So have an of you with shiny Retina iMacs done any gaming? Supposedly a lot of macrumors dudes are complaining about the GPU throttling down / cooking itself due to heat:

I was kind of interested in one, now in having doubts. Anyone gaming on the new iMacs have any insight?

First-Gen apple product has weird issue? I'm shocked.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

ryangs posted:

Try opening this link in Safari:

http://kent-vandervelden.blogspot.com/2009/10/counting-bits-population-count-and.html

By any chance does the computer produce the faint weird noises while you scroll this web page? Ideally, have nothing else using the CPU, and use a trackpad or magic mouse to smooth scroll it -- I don't know whether you'd hear it with a wheel mouse.

That link is a reliable way of making funny noises on my late 2013 rMBP 15". I was researching something else and saved the link because it's so easily heard. I'm pretty sure it's audible noise generated by the switch-mode power supplies (SMPSes) used to step DC voltage down to the levels appropriate for your CPU and/or GPUs. SMPSes run fluctuating currents through electromagnetic coils, and the resulting magnetic fields can flex the coils a bit. This flexing makes audible noises if it's at the right frequency.

In most cases SMPS chirping like this is drowned out by fan noise. Ironically, Apple's super try hard efforts to get fan noise down make SMPS chirping more audible.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Bonobos posted:

Read through the entire thread (ugh)

I wouldn't be too concerned. They've been in the wild for 3 seconds. Apple will probably push firmware updates as they need to, but if you're buying the retina iMac as a gaming machine, I don't know what to tell you really.

As with all iMacs, it'll be fine for casual games that are a couple of years old.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Yeast posted:

As with all iMacs, it'll be fine for casual games that are a couple of years old.

I play battlefield 4 on my 2011 iMac fine :birddrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Would Broadwell help with the thermal issue?