Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, there's plenty of room for stories involving the use of black mana for good ends, but I'm betting this guy isn't going to be one of them.
Hell, before he was written to be a massive dickhole*, Erebos from Theros was a decent person who was Black-aligned. People die, he makes sure they stay that way, and he feels for people who get a bad hand from fate, though he does still insist they go through that fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I think Crackling Doom is my favorite Khans card. I just love that drat card. :allears:

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014
I feel the problem with Black is that it got saddled with all the gross things in the world and every possible black magic stereotype, from undead to demons to plague to mass sacrifice.

Every other colour has good and bad aspects, and sit roughly around neutrality. Blue can be about progress but it can also be deceptive and cold; White can be about peace and law but also fascism and institutionalised oppression; Red can be about chaos and emotion but Maro does a good work of ensuring everyone knows that Red is capable of every other good emotion, not just rage (and it also has a strong passion for defending the individual); Green can be about life and symbiosis but it can also be uncaring and oppose progress; while Black is either evil or, at best, self-interestedly neutral. Every colour can spin some virtuous tale about how it wants what's best for you, but Black doesn't have that as a selling point. All it can offer you is the power to crush your enemies... maybe. Even if you get what you want, you're still likely to get eaten by a vampire and then soul-bound to a demon.

It wouldn't have been hard to give all the "gross animals and plague" to Green (to give it a "nature is not good" flavour, and to also give it creature-weakening spells that it can use as roundabout creature removal) and then give Black a more defined (and neutral) theme instead of making it basically an incoherent mess of tropes. If they had figured out what Black was really about, other than "power at any cost" (a premise that fails in its own execution; because in order for things to make sense, Black needs to be balanced with the other colours, which means that the 'at any cost' is not necessary, since other colours manage to get an equivalent amount of power without doing the things Black does), we would've been seeing way richer flavour from Black.

Black could have been about so many things. If Black had been about temptation (with demons and vampires), we could have had tons of mechanics that interact with the opponent, giving them a choice that seems tempting (both Black and the opponent draw 2 cards for 2 life, or else Black draws a card for free, for example) or just straight up leeching the enemy's abilities ("Whenever an opponent draws a card/gains life, you may also draw a card/gain life."). Black could have been about sacrifice, about understanding that sometimes you need to make sacrifices for either the greater good or the ability to crush your enemies and cackle maniacally, so they could've got not only the current sacrificial mechanics, but also White's self-sacrifice mechanics where a creature dies to empower others. It could've played up the undead aspect with the theme of second chances, bringing back creatures and spells from the graveyard to cast them again not because they're callous necromancers, but instead they're flavoured to be mediums who give the dead peace by allowing them a second chance at something.

Black could have been handled in so many different ways, and I'm sure the game has gone on long enough that by now there are some really good gems in terms of flavour that make Black virtuous, but to me the overall narrative has dropped the ball on the colour out of sheer laziness. Maro goes a long way to defend Black and spin it a positive take, but I just haven't seen cards that reflect this, other than the occasionally cool one that breaks the stereotype.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Just make Toshiro Umezawa the flagship black walker and be done with it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

xeose4 posted:

I feel the problem with Black is that it got saddled with all the gross things in the world and every possible black magic stereotype, from undead to demons to plague to mass sacrifice.

Every other colour has good and bad aspects, and sit roughly around neutrality. Blue can be about progress but it can also be deceptive and cold; White can be about peace and law but also fascism and institutionalised oppression; Red can be about chaos and emotion but Maro does a good work of ensuring everyone knows that Red is capable of every other good emotion, not just rage (and it also has a strong passion for defending the individual); Green can be about life and symbiosis but it can also be uncaring and oppose progress; while Black is either evil or, at best, self-interestedly neutral. Every colour can spin some virtuous tale about how it wants what's best for you, but Black doesn't have that as a selling point. All it can offer you is the power to crush your enemies... maybe. Even if you get what you want, you're still likely to get eaten by a vampire and then soul-bound to a demon.

It wouldn't have been hard to give all the "gross animals and plague" to Green (to give it a "nature is not good" flavour, and to also give it creature-weakening spells that it can use as roundabout creature removal) and then give Black a more defined (and neutral) theme instead of making it basically an incoherent mess of tropes. If they had figured out what Black was really about, other than "power at any cost" (a premise that fails in its own execution; because in order for things to make sense, Black needs to be balanced with the other colours, which means that the 'at any cost' is not necessary, since other colours manage to get an equivalent amount of power without doing the things Black does), we would've been seeing way richer flavour from Black.

Black could have been about so many things. If Black had been about temptation (with demons and vampires), we could have had tons of mechanics that interact with the opponent, giving them a choice that seems tempting (both Black and the opponent draw 2 cards for 2 life, or else Black draws a card for free, for example) or just straight up leeching the enemy's abilities ("Whenever an opponent draws a card/gains life, you may also draw a card/gain life."). Black could have been about sacrifice, about understanding that sometimes you need to make sacrifices for either the greater good or the ability to crush your enemies and cackle maniacally, so they could've got not only the current sacrificial mechanics, but also White's self-sacrifice mechanics where a creature dies to empower others. It could've played up the undead aspect with the theme of second chances, bringing back creatures and spells from the graveyard to cast them again not because they're callous necromancers, but instead they're flavoured to be mediums who give the dead peace by allowing them a second chance at something.

Black could have been handled in so many different ways, and I'm sure the game has gone on long enough that by now there are some really good gems in terms of flavour that make Black virtuous, but to me the overall narrative has dropped the ball on the colour out of sheer laziness. Maro goes a long way to defend Black and spin it a positive take, but I just haven't seen cards that reflect this, other than the occasionally cool one that breaks the stereotype.

I think part of it is that MtG tends to embrace tropes rather than avoid them. The different things you mention are clustered together in fantasy novels, legends, etc., even if they don't totally make sense as a coherent philosophy

I do sometimes think the color pie would make more sense if it was explicitly based on fuzzy archetypes instead of pretending that the colors were defined by philosophies worth taking seriously.

I also see what you mean about the gross-animals-and-plagues aspect making more sense in Green, but the same could be said of a lot of things associated with Blue, Red, and White as well. "Nature" includes everything, and thus nothing. Green in general feels like the least conceptually necessary color, and it doesn't have a lot of mechanics that don't overlap with other colors either.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 6, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

xeose4 posted:

But Black has Sorin Markov and he's pretty much the only real good guy in Magic.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Veyrall posted:

Umm...He goes around killing worlds. I'm really stretching to figure out exactly where you are getting the whole "Ob Nixilis isn't puppy-kicking evil" schtick.

ob: look what i did
ob: to the plane
ob: for value

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

Silver2195 posted:

I think part of it is that MtG tends to embrace tropes rather than avoid them. The different things you mention are clustered together in fantasy novels, legends, etc., even if they don't totally make sense as a coherent philosophy

I do something think the color pie would make more sense if it was explicitly based on fuzzy archetypes instead of pretending that the colors were defined by philosophies worth taking seriously.

I also see what you mean about the gross-animals-and-plagues aspect making more sense in Green, but the same could be said of a lot of things associated with Blue, Red, and White as well. "Nature" includes everything, and thus nothing. Green in general feels like the least conceptually necessary color, and it doesn't have a lot of mechanics that don't overlap with other colors either.

Yeah, that's probably my main point of contention. I don't really ascribe any value to stereotypes and tropes other than as fodder for subversion. I prefer innovation over tradition, so I definitely prefer Maro's take on the colour pie where he tries to give each colour as much depth and definition as possible.

If you restrict Green to the life aspect of nature (animals, plants, fae, gross creatures and plagues, druids, etc.), it makes perfect sense as a colour.

Angry Grimace posted:

But Black has Sorin Markov and he's pretty much the only real good guy in Magic.

Is he, really? He always struck me as a self-interested rear end in a top hat, though admittedly I've only read a couple of stories on him.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Why are the Souls cycle spiking on MTGO right now? Soul of Innistrad went from doubled in price for some reason, like overnight. :confused:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Why are the Souls cycle spiking on MTGO right now? Soul of Innistrad went from doubled in price for some reason, like overnight. :confused:

Soul of Innistrad is actually seeing some (very light) standard play, but if I had to hazard a guess: Commander 2014 is releasing on MTGO tomorrow, and commander people love them some Souls.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ciprian Maricon I would like to thank your for the Legacy Deck offer but I did not realize it was Saturday so I will have to decline. You're awesome for even offering, LGS is having 2 year anniversary and I need to go support that, also I will be dead from sealed.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
For what it's worth, black's "better half" is supposed to be ambition, personal empowerment and freedom to pursue life as you see fit, not the way society or whoever (*cough* white) has arbitrarily decided you should live it. Sometimes that tends to come off as a kind of creepy objectivist thing, and even then it practically never comes across in a game about summoning magical zombie mans to fight magical elf mans. I for one would love to see more stories with the other colors set as more obvious villains, and I don't mean just in the "every color is now part of Phyrexia" way.

Like, take green. You tend to think of life and growth and harmony with nature and all that jazz, right? But nature is also a savage, heartless place. Animals don't live in harmony with each other, they live in a neverending cycle of violence and death. The strong literally prey on the weak, hunting and killing them for food, or just for sport. Evolution doesn't give a hoot about concepts like consent; whoever breeds by whatever means possible will survive. Unguided evolution has filled nature with opportunistic parasites, like that fungus that invades ant brains and makes them behave erratically. Diseases, natural disasters and over-predation wipe out entire populations on a regular basis. The more sentient green races tend to view civilization not as a safe haven where mankind can flourish, better itself and reach to new heights, but as a blight on the natural order.

Whether you believe that to be evil or not is I suppose a matter of personal philosophy, but you could easily write a green villain.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 6, 2014

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I was bored and figured out the largest technically-legal Vintage deck that doesn't run any basics, snow basics, Relentless Rats, or Shadowborn Apostles. 57101 cards, 19 yards tall, and weighs 228 pounds.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

For what it's worth, black's "better half" is supposed to be ambition, personal empowerment and freedom to pursue life as you see fit, not the way society or whoever (*cough* white) has arbitrarily decided you should live it. Sometimes that tends to come off as a kind of creepy objectivist thing, and even then it practically never comes across in a game about summoning magical zombie mans to fight magical elf mans. I for one would love to see more stories with the other colors set as more obvious villains, and I don't mean just in the "every color is now part of Phyrexia" way.

Like, take green. You tend to think of life and growth and harmony with nature and all that jazz, right? But nature is also a savage, heartless place. Animals don't live in harmony with each other, they live in a neverending cycle of violence and death. The strong literally prey on the weak, hunting and killing them for food, or just for sport. Evolution doesn't give a hoot about concepts like consent; whoever breeds by whatever means possible will survive. Unguided evolution has filled nature with opportunistic parasites, like that fungus that invades ant brains and makes them behave erratically. Diseases, natural disasters and over-predation wipe out entire populations on a regular basis. The more sentient green races tend to view civilization not as a safe haven where mankind can flourish, better itself and reach to new heights, but as a blight on the natural order.

Whether you believe that to be evil or not is I suppose a matter of personal philosophy, but you could easily write a green villain.

Given all of this, it's interesting that the Golgari - who fit pretty nicely in with black and most of the "evil" parts of green listed here - are one of the overall least-dickish guilds on Ravnica, which makes me think a little more about their black component. They've got the altogether-ooky zombie decay stuff down, but it also makes them more autonomous and far less monolithic-cult-ish than Selesnya. Golgari will leave you alone, which is something most other guilds have a pretty big problem with. Not that they were necessarily the "good guys," but compared to most of the other guilds their turn at being rear end in a top hat-of-the-week was more a matter of "Savra did it" than "yeah Ravnica's pretty much dicks all the way down."

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 6, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Depending on your personal views, Selesnya can easily be the way more sinister guild of the two. The Golgari are a key component to keeping the population of Ravnica fed and its streets clean, after all. Waste and corpses feed the rot-farms, which produce food that the Golgari just give out. So, yeah, hey, they might muck around a lot with zombies and dubious biomass but it's not like they don't give back to the city. Selesnya on the other hand feels to me like a really creepy collectivist cult that basically brainwashes its members in line and frowns on individuality. Then there's the Quietmen, which are basically disembodied spirit assassins...

I think Izzet is pretty much the most honest guild on Ravnica... at least, if you disregard Niv-Mizzet and his schemes and focus on the body of the guild itself. I mean, all they want to do is gently caress around with :science:, and a lot of the stuff they do has huge civic benefits. Sure, their experiments and inventions occasionally cause havoc, but generally not intentionally so. They're careless, not malevolent, and seem to have no interest whatsoever in actually taking control of Ravnica.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 6, 2014

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Yeah, the Izzet kind of seem like they're organised like actual academia, with there being a dude at the top making decisions, but with nobody actually going anywhere coherent as a whole.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

The Lord of Hats posted:

I really like that, it's probably one of my favorite Uncharted Realms. It's interesting, even though I'd say he's pretty clearly mono-black the whole way through, he originally had at least very vaguely noble intentions--put an end to the cycle of destruction that was eating his home plane. I feel like that's a nice example of "Black can still do good things, but in its own way".
That's kind of the opposite of what I got out of it. Like, Ob told himself that he wanted to end war and be in charge of his plane, but when the chips were down what he really wanted was to be the last man standing on a dead world. And once his spark ignited, all he wanted was to do that again and again and again.

Karmoderm
Aug 24, 2008

Lottery of Babylon posted:

This is great. Does modo even let you have two letter names?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

drat, I wake up to people taking the magic equivalent of the 9 square DND alignment seriously. I didn't think it would happen but somehow I should've known.

-pretend I placed an Andy Warhol Madonna Jace of all 5 colors here

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

The Lord of Hats posted:

It's interesting, even though I'd say he's pretty clearly mono-black the whole way through, he originally had at least very vaguely noble intentions--put an end to the cycle of destruction that was eating his home plane.

Remember that it is written from Ob Nixilis's point of view. He's kind of literally a genocidal monster.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Karmoderm posted:

This is great. Does modo even let you have two letter names?

I think way back in the day they upped the minimum character limit to 4 or greater, because of some bug that was only occurring to users with really short names. They've fixed the bug since then but the name restrictions stuck.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I think way back in the day they upped the minimum character limit to 4 or greater, because of some bug that was only occurring to users with really short names. They've fixed the bug since then but the name restrictions stuck.

Ah, yes, the old "lsv can't view replays because MTGO" bug.

Seriously, I can't even fathom what kind of underlying problem could cause that behavior.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Seriously, I can't even fathom what kind of underlying problem could cause that behavior.

The underlying code for MTGO has to be the programmer version of the Necronomicon. To read it is to go insane.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Madmarker posted:

The underlying code for MTGO has to be the programmer version of the Necronomicon. To read it is to go insane.

A Necromicon made of duct tape and tears, sure.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Bergeot just linked this on her Twitter from the Judge blog:
http://blogs.magicjudges.org/seacat/interacting-with-women-at-magic-events-responsibility-respect-and-mindfulness/

I'm glad they're not only thinking about this kind of stuff, but putting it out there in writing.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Entropic posted:

Bergeot just linked this on her Twitter from the Judge blog:
http://blogs.magicjudges.org/seacat/interacting-with-women-at-magic-events-responsibility-respect-and-mindfulness/

I'm glad they're not only thinking about this kind of stuff, but putting it out there in writing.

I look forward to reading the Magic community's thoughts on the existence of privilege, harassment, and misogyny :shepface:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

This is seriously one of the weirdest bugs I've ever heard of in any software.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Pyrolocutus posted:

I look forward to reading the Magic community's thoughts on the existence of privilege, harassment, and misogyny :shepface:

No kidding. It really shouldn't be that card to sit down, say hi, play cards, and say good game win or lose. You shouldn't feel compelled to make a comment about anything regarding gender. Girls just want to play the loving game too.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Pyrolocutus posted:

It's actually about ethics in the Judging program. #GuildGate

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Pyrolocutus posted:

After surviving the Freep thread, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599372 , I think I'll be able to successfully brave the horror that is the magic community's response to it. I expect the term SJW to be used frequently.

Elyv posted:

This is seriously one of the weirdest bugs I've ever heard of in any software.

Was that issue ever actually fixed?

Entropic posted:

:golfclap:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Entropic posted:

Someone explain this joke to me.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/actually-its-about-ethics

So Gamergate is this thing where a bunch of misogynists harass women in the name of "ethics in games journalism" and so they can have more boobs in video games. Its a "ethics in games journalism" is a complete non sequitur to what Gamergate is actually about, but is used as the defining mantra of those involved.

People post pictures, usually of horror or violence or movie villains with the captions "Actually it's about ethics in games journalism" to make fun of that statement

#Guildgate is our magic themed joke based on it.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 6, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

If you don't know about gamergate count yourself lucky.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Entropic posted:

If you don't know about gamergate count yourself lucky.

I know what gamergate is I just couldn't figure out the #guildgate reference.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I can't read that link; what does the judge say about misogyny in Magic?

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Wanna nominate this for a thread title. :allears:

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Entropic posted:

Stop silencing innocent magic players for constitutionally protected speech like "I bet $10 on this game" and "I'm going to rape Helene Bergeot"

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Morphing

Being a morph

Unmorphing

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

bhsman posted:

Wanna nominate this for a thread title. :allears:

That male judges need to be aware of it and check themselves to make sure they're not being creepy, intentionally or otherwise, basically.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Morphing

Being a morph

Unmorphing

Okay but how does a Sagu Mauler or Monastery Flock do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

bhsman posted:

It exists and we can't pretend it doesn't. To help, here is a primer on male privilege and not being an rear end in a top hat.

Zoness posted:

Okay but how does a Sagu Mauler or Monastery Flock do it?

Magic

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 6, 2014

• Locked thread