Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Thats Crunkcore jeeeez, this is metalcore:
http://youtu.be/OtTtk85Xl74

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I know, but it mostly fit the criteria and frankly I'm not passing up an opportunity to post brokencyde.

Also not watching that because it would mean listening to metalcore which means it probably isn't going to be as ridiculous as brokencyde.

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 6, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Sleepflower posted:

I know, but it fit the criteria and frankly I'm not passing up an opportunity to post brokencyde.

Also not watching that because it would mean listening to metalcore which means it probably isn't going to be as ridiculous as brokencyde.

Not gonna lie, I got dragged to a mosh4christ show to watch after my friends kid sister once and War of Ages was actually pretty decent live. Or at least, unlike the other bands they played solos and stuff and seemed to really want to put on an actual metal show. Also like half their members were swapped out for touring guys who just looked like generic metal dudes in their 40's so I dont know what was up with that. My friends sister had gone to see Bless The Fall who were so bad they actually got booed, which takes some real awfulness at a CHRISTIAN METAL SHOW. Also on the bill was Demon Hunter who all the kids seemed the most psyched to see (and the only band where people knew words to songs) but they were just super zzzzzz boring Saliva/Drowning Pool/Theory of a Deadman styled numetal with some really half baked screaming thrown in to metalcore it up.

Also shockingly as bad as Brokencyde is, they are no where near as bad as other Crunkcore bands. Their first album even has a couple listenable tracks and it becomes clear that its actually a DJ project started by a guy who really loves Atari Teenage Riot and bad pop music. Their second album also had like, one OK song that had a guy from Bone thugs in it maybe? The times in my life where I listened to Brokencyde also coincide with massive drug use so take it all with a grain of salt.

So. much. worse: http://youtu.be/Ez6tdhppJgk

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
why do you idiots have so many sub categories for your lovely music?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

ZombieParts posted:

Unironically would love to hear an answer for this. I can't tell the difference between half the genres of lovely metal.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

ZombieParts posted:

because most of it ends up being too lovely to lump into a big category

i should also probably note that modern metalcore is actually melodic metalcore, while the original metalcore was pretty much hardcore punk and thrash put together

i wish i didn't know this

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 6, 2014

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

ZombieParts posted:

I don't know, I just use the terms because other people do :shrug:

Update on the nut issue with my gibson eye - tried to remove it, but I couldn't hammer it out and gave up after chipping a small piece of the bone off.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

ThePutty posted:

i should also probably note that modern metalcore is actually melodic metalcore, while the original metalcore was pretty much hardcore punk and thrash put together

Way back when I used to give a poo poo about such things All Out War was "metalcore" (basically Slayer+hardcore) and at somepoint it evolved to skinny jeans and clean choruses and microkorgs and other bullshit. At least they kept the "3 random words" for a band name thing.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ZombieParts posted:

i'm more curious why everyone's reference point for metalcore seems firmly stuck in 2006

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

comes along bort posted:

i'm more curious why everyone's reference point for metalcore seems firmly stuck in 2006

Because so is metalcore. Every new and/or interesting metalcore band has tried tooth and nail to call themselves literally anything else.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
well yeah all the "old" bands have moved on to grunge lite, radio rock, bad covers of early 90s death metal, etc

i guess there's still people influenced by bands influenced by the earliest bands out in omaha or wherever still sporting the swoopy hair and girl jeans. i'm not a fan of any of that stuff but it's funny that it's actually one of the few "heavier" subgenres that's had some semblance of stylistic change over the past decade compared to just about everything else, let alone something like djent where they're still just aping meshuggah tracks from nearly 20 years ago

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hi, guys!
I just voted, I feel really great.

When I used the word "tonewoods" I admit I definitely misspoke. What I meant was that there are different species and grades of basswood and the original JEMs and USA Customs definitely got the better woods.
Again, while Stux makes some decent points, he's wrong about RGs just being cheap JEMs or vice-versa. Even when the new Ibanez line came out in the beginning, that wasn't true. Like I said, the RGs you could buy back then had fret-ends you'd shred your fretting hand on like a cheese grater.
The JEMs from that time come out on top in terms of materials whether Stux wants to concede that or doesn't (b-b-but they come from the same factory!) as if guitar factories don't sort their woods by several qualitative characteristics and use them for different tiers of instruments based on those characteristics, and charge accordingly.

I said "tonewoods" but I really just meant that the wood that wasn't as light, or as bright, or had certain other acoustic properties or lack of flaws were chosen for the pricier models and the rest was sorted and used from everything from a nice $1,000.oo RG or S-series to the bargain-basement RG/Amp/Chord/Tuner/Picks all-in-one-box starter set on the floor of MARS Music. Don't think for moment those instruments are actually comparable, or ever could be.

All manufacturers do this and it presents as a noticeable, measurable difference in the quality of each tier of instrument. As I said, I've played tons of Ibanezes. I've played a bunch of RG550s from the same period that are heavy as hell, dark, and clearly cheaper for a reason. I've played RG750s and 770s from the same time period and they were noticeably lighter and brighter and sustained longer. I could go on, but no one wants that.
You'll find the exact same situation from any other large manufacturer of guitars. That's why I didn't recommend cheap Fenders, even as starter guitars.

So, I do apologize for mis-speaking. I am sorry, it was a mistake.
I guess I really do think of my own Ibanezes as having "tonewoods" because of they way they sound unplugged. I only bought the ones that resonated against my chest like acoustics might. They had bright, in-your-face pick attack, good lows; and they didn't sound dark or plastic-y. The difference is real, it's extant, and it's important to me. If they didn't have that acoustic tone I just put them back.

I do have one guitar that's kinda special in terms of woods, though: it's the USA Custom Exotic Wood which is a mahogany body with a thick flame-maple top, and a great one-piece bolt-on bird's-eye maple neck with the fat volute behind the nut. It's a very cool combination. It's not very heavy, it's not dark, it sustains for days, and it's freaking gorgeous. Also, I think both of my Swamp-ash instruments count as tonewood guitars, because despite being less dense and sometime warmer or darker, the two I took home have that fullness but still sound (unplugged) very loud and bright.

Previous posts: I absolutely loved the JEM with the Bigsby, but with the Bigsby + headless I almost choked laughing. But Putty is right about one thing: I'd love to have a JEM with one of those fat Ibanez hard-tail bridges instead of some floating trem. I don't want floating trems anymore except to just give a subtle vibrato to a pretty chord, like Andy Timmons does.

Also, gently caress Your Website's post about the Faust from the play is onto something. A lot of something.

Thanks, gnarlyhotep for the kind words.

I'm not going to bother with The Ramones stuff, let's just say no one sees me as a Ramones fan; and I don't think it proves the point. I've heard Ramones bootlegs. I'll leave it there.

I hope you all voted!

lol sorry dude, if its made in the japanese factory, no matter what model, they use the same blanks and the same QA for all of them. yeah, a non-prestige korean or indo might have worse quality blanks, but thats because its in their cheaper factory. for the prestige basswoods and JEMS? they're just grabbing from the same pile dude. if you're gonna stan for a model thats cool, but do it on actual qualitative differences rather than snake oil bullshit.

and again, I've played off the shelf JEMs with hosed fret dressing. also played off the rack RGs with buttery smooth edges. means nothing, they have the same QA and the same proportion of shittily finished guitars in every line from that factory. your 70v is probably a pretty lovely blank compared to a prestige RG, due to it being from the cheaper factory. the only lines where its gonna be different are the alder JEMs, but then you also have the mahogany etc RGs. basswood to basswood though, in the same factory, in the same time frame, its going to be the same. hell, guitars like the 550 used literally the same machining processes as the JEMs, just minus the monkey grip route.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

comes along bort posted:

I'm curious why everyones reference point for metal core is stuff like killswitch engage instead of stuff like converge, personally.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Stux posted:

I'm curious why everyones reference point for metal core is stuff like killswitch engage instead of stuff like converge, personally.

I've never heard anyone call Converge metalcore before.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Stux posted:

Indifference.

Anyway, my stop gap hack job repair of my speaker actually worked after balancing the weight out with glue on the other side. For relevance to the thread, here is a picture of the repair while it was drying:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Stux posted:

Really? I help out a music class for HS students sometimes and every one of them is in a band that "sounds like Jane Doe era Converge crossed with BMTH and Animals as Leaders."

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

W424 posted:

I've never heard anyone call Converge metalcore before.

converge are like the quintessential metal core band, being a band which actually mixes hardcore and metal.

Really? I help out a music class for HS students sometimes and every one of them is in a band that "sounds like Jane Doe era Converge crossed with BMTH and Animals as Leaders."

key here is that you are talking to musicians, laymen don't do this though and go to killswitch, 36 crazyfists etc as metal core and put converge, coalesce etc as just hardcore.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Stux posted:

converge are like the quintessential metal core band, being a band which actually mixes hardcore and metal.

key here is that you are talking to musicians, laymen don't do this though and go to killswitch, 36 crazyfists etc as metal core and put converge, coalesce etc as just hardcore.

I allways thought they were just noisy hardcore, now I'm proven wrong and a layman. May others learn from my mistakes.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Stux posted:

that's a good point too

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Stux posted:

Hmmm yes mixing hardcore and metal was an innovative concept... when Suicidal Tendencies was doing it back in the early 1980's. Anthrax was doing rap metal back in 1987.

That was back in the GOOD OLD DAYS... All you kids GET OFF MY LAWN you have too many string on your guitars

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Actuary X posted:

Hmmm yes mixing hardcore and metal was an innovative concept... when Suicidal Tendencies was doing it back in the early 1980's. Anthrax was doing rap metal back in 1987.

That was back in the GOOD OLD DAYS... All you kids GET OFF MY LAWN you have too many string on your guitars

technically a whole bunch of bands mixed punk and metal in the 70s

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Also shockingly as bad as Brokencyde is, they are no where near as bad as other Crunkcore bands. Their first album even has a couple listenable tracks and it becomes clear that its actually a DJ project started by a guy who really loves Atari Teenage Riot

Alec Empire would do physical harm to everyone involved with that abomination.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

ThePutty posted:

technically a whole bunch of bands mixed punk and metal in the 70s

It probably peaked with Bring the Noise, and has been horribly downhill ever since.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Actuary X posted:

i didn't say it was innovative or new when converge did it, just that they are the quintessential example of metal core (at least to me)

dunno what rap metal has to do with anything though

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

W424 posted:

I allways thought they were just noisy hardcore, now I'm proven wrong and a layman. May others learn from my mistakes.

yeah my language choices here were loving dumb actually, but i mean just that there are those into metal core/hardcore and will know what it is, while popular perception is that of the bands mentioned.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
you are all unbelievably retarded except bort who is my boy

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

muike posted:

God drat where is the love

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

muike posted:

don't use the r word

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

muike posted:

i can respect this

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Do monkey grips become cooler if they're made out of metal, or even worse? I feel Faustus needs to weigh in on this innovation in grip technology.

ZombieParts posted:

In lieu of meaningful deviation from old genres, artists/fans/labels often stick new names on old poo poo because the average schmuck isn't going to notice. See also: 70% of electronic music genres.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Xenocidebot posted:

Do monkey grips become cooler if they're made out of metal, or even worse? I feel Faustus needs to weigh in on this innovation in grip technology.

In lieu of meaningful deviation from old genres, artists/fans/labels often stick new names on old poo poo because the average schmuck isn't going to notice. See also: 70% of electronic music genres.

which electronic music genres in particular

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Xenocidebot posted:

I hope it's a carabiner so I can wear my guitar on my jeans like a cool kid.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

muike posted:

Dear lord man, have you no decency? Think of the tones!

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Xenocidebot posted:

That reminds me of one of those lovely survival knives, if you unscrew the handle there's a secret compartment with a compass, some wire, a pair of tweezers and a condom.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

It's like someone pulled this out of the fridge, found in a Tupperware container with "1997" sharpied on the lid.

ZombieParts posted:

A desperate bid to intellectualize something mundane.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I feel no shame in loving the gently caress out of that, especially the lack of inlays.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

White Dog Eggs posted:

This "chuck poo poo I've got lying around together" guitar is looking surprisingly ok;

(apologies for the poo poo picture, the light in this house is terrible and I'm too cheap to buy a decent camera)

Everything on that body is pure 'B' stock. Huge scratch on the control plate, the bridge has rust-spots on it, the jack plug came off a horrible cheap guitar that was beyond saving and the pickups were piss-cheap on ebay because the Chinese seller listed them as "libstick pickups". Still going to stick ToneZ on the headstock though.

I've just finished all the woodwork on this, I had to rout a rear-access compartment for the neck pickup wiring, I ended up routing out a good amount of wood which may have actually been a good thing, just did a pre-varnish weigh and it's just under 7lbs, not bad considering it's beech. I'm really impressed by how well this lovely guitar is turning out. Anyone got any suggestions for names to go on the headstock? I was thinking 'Mingus'.

E: 7lbs including the neck and all the hardware.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
The Eugene.

'Cause it looks like a complete dork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
http://www.adultswim.com/videos/sealab-2021/mingus-dew/

• Locked thread