Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agatha Crispies
Jan 15, 2010

Contains 100% daily dose of little grey cells

Rabbit Hill posted:

Okay, FIRST OF ALL, every packet of Jello I've ever made has come with a warning on it not to mix in pineapple, so how does this thing even congeal?

Second of all, :psyduck:

Who on this planet with functioning tastebuds would think to combine lemon/pineapple and olives. I mean, sure, everything in this thread is some version of "goddammit, why??" but this thing only has three ingredients and each one is at war with the other two.

It's the bromelain in fresh pineapple that causes protein breakdown in the gelatin, hence the warning. Heat the pineapple, however, and you inactivate the bromelain and the gelatin holds its shape. They most likely used canned pineapple which is heated during canning. Now you too can make a hideous pineapple olive mold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davestones
May 7, 2009
Just what was the fad with jellies and aspics back in the day? Have tastes really changed that much or was it just an easier method of using the manky about to go off food at the back of the fridge?

God forbid it comes around again, like the trend for eating offal and offcuts has.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

davestones posted:

Just what was the fad with jellies and aspics back in the day? Have tastes really changed that much or was it just an easier method of using the manky about to go off food at the back of the fridge?

God forbid it comes around again, like the trend for eating offal and offcuts has.

prior to the middleish of the 20th century this line of logic holds:
gelatin dish = must have been in the fridge or a consistently cold icebox = prepared by somebody rich = must be good

a "normal" household being able to prepare these dishes was a relatively new state of technological/economic affairs and the bloom was not yet off the rose

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Edit: ^^^ :argh: (But it's probably a better reasoning)

I remember hearing that the reason got crazy gelatin dishes got so popular was because gelatin was once considered a very high class dish, and was extremely expensive, and when it got cheap enough for the masses to get a hold of, they put it in EVERYTHING. And because dinner parties and all that were in vogue at the time, everyone was trying to keep up with the Joneses, and made their own variation - no matter how horrible it tasted.

From what I heard, they didn't like the taste if it back then either, and they were generally just for decoration and got tossed after the party.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

I'd really love to see these done up on a Bon Appetit cover, all glossy and well-lit.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

From what I heard, they didn't like the taste if it back then either, and they were generally just for decoration and got tossed after the party.

So it was like a jiggly version of the type of wedding cakes you see on Ace of Cakes. Outwardly fancy and makes a great centerpiece but covered from head to toe in gross fondant and is 70% frosted styrofoam and wooden dowels.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

A crocodile, wrapped in bacon, with a chicken in its mouth. I would eat this.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

That's an alligator, but I still would.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

"Tastes like chicken."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

There's a restaurant by me that sells a whole alligator stuffed with chickens roasted over apple and cherry wood with sides of jambalaya, cornbread, succotash, and mac and cheese. Costs about $400 and supposed to feed 12. But this is the gross food thread so it doesn't belong here.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

That's an alligator, but I still would.

I can't tell, I just stole the description from where I found it. Those things don't live in the frozen wastes. :v:

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's a restaurant by me that sells a whole alligator stuffed with chickens roasted over apple and cherry wood with sides of jambalaya, cornbread, succotash, and mac and cheese. Costs about $400 and supposed to feed 12. But this is the gross food thread so it doesn't belong here.

Aaaaaand that's something added to the bucket list.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
My favorite part about the life of David Bowie was that he was a prolific journal writer but during the several months he spent in Florida the sum total of his journal entries were something like "The weather is horrible and the alligator tastes worse." which is a pretty succinct summary of Florida.

But for real gator is pretty tasty if you know a place that can make it well. It's just most of the time it's being made by your drunk cousin or at Jimbo's Stick-meat shack.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

davestones posted:

Go to a good Korean offal barbecue restaurant and then try saying that again.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Had to recheck my calendar to make sure it wasn't Christmas. Thank you.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

pandaK posted:

Go to a good Korean offal barbecue restaurant and then try saying that again.

Really, I agree with this. I'm not crazy about offal, but some well-cooked intestine isn't too bad if you can divorce yourself from the idea of what it is. (I was a vegetarian for almost 20 years, so learning to eat insidey parts of animals took a lot of deep breaths on my part.)

Plus, sometimes they wiggle around when you grill 'em! :science: or maybe that's stomach? Anyways, heart and tongue are legitimately good.

Has anyone else watched The Supersizers Go...? It was on BBC or 4. The hosts lived, dressed, and ate like people in a particular period of British history for a week at a time. If you can stomach watching people occasionally spitting out their food, it's a hugely entertaining series and shows some really grody dishes. You used to be able to find all the episodes on YouTube, and Hulu had them a while back (can't check either at work).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Aaaaaand that's something added to the bucket list.

Well good sir, come on down to Chicago:

http://thefrontierchicago.com/

They have all sorts of big animal meals. Pretty drat good margaritas too.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Edit: ^^^ :argh: (But it's probably a better reasoning)

I remember hearing that the reason got crazy gelatin dishes got so popular was because gelatin was once considered a very high class dish, and was extremely expensive, and when it got cheap enough for the masses to get a hold of, they put it in EVERYTHING. And because dinner parties and all that were in vogue at the time, everyone was trying to keep up with the Joneses, and made their own variation - no matter how horrible it tasted.

Oh yeah, jellies were wicked fashionable in the upper classes in the late 1700s right through the Victorian era - right up until people started having iceboxes so they could set a jelly in their own kitchens without having to have a bevy of servants dedicated to midwifing the loving thing, basically

even just conveying them to table without having them jiggle themselves to pieces required the full attention and dignity of a grown adult

ed.: here's a really loud video of a jelly wiggling itself to death like an idiot

None of these have really objectionable ingredients but they're dumb-looking as gently caress imo

just pile some loving fruit in there :effort:

EAT THE QUEEN

this isn't and wasn't intended to be pineapple flavored it just has a pineapple on it to look nice. i think it's rosewater milk flummery

The guy who made the above recreations also has a story on his blog about the time he tried to recreate this:

tl;dr: build a pastry ship, have it shoot actual guns at a pastry stag which then bleeds wine everywhere and also have two pies full of live frogs and birds and take the lids off so animals are hopping everywhere and the ladies at the party throw eggs at each other ??? fun party hacks from 1660, Ace of Cakes got poo poo on history

bringmyfishback posted:

Has anyone else watched The Supersizers Go...? It was on BBC or 4. The hosts lived, dressed, and ate like people in a particular period of British history for a week at a time. If you can stomach watching people occasionally spitting out their food, it's a hugely entertaining series and shows some really grody dishes. You used to be able to find all the episodes on YouTube, and Hulu had them a while back (can't check either at work).
I liked that show a lot

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 05:29 on Nov 6, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

InediblePenguin posted:

this isn't and wasn't intended to be pineapple flavored it just has a pineapple on it to look nice. i think it's rosewater milk flummery

Isn't that a thistle? For like, Scotland or whatever?

E: found it on that blog. Weird. Would the average Victorian-era Brit know what a pineapple was? I still think a thistle makes more sense.

MAKE NO BABBYS has a new favorite as of 05:45 on Nov 6, 2014

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

it could be, but it was labelled "Pineapple flummery made in a 1790s Wedgewood mould" on Ivan Day's site and he's the expert

edit: possibly designed to go either way? pineapples were trendy at that time

edit 2: like the pineapple mold you can also use to make thistles is the 1790s equivalent of the butt plug mold you can also use to make christmas trees

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 05:45 on Nov 6, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
That's so weird. I mean, in Dicken's novels people go apeshit over getting to eat their one goddamned orange a year, where the hell would they get a pineapple?

That blog is crazy, though.

E: Apparently more wealthy/sea faring Brits have been going apeshit for pineapples for much longer than I thought: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/ptop/plain/A10697132

MAKE NO BABBYS has a new favorite as of 05:52 on Nov 6, 2014

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

The people who could afford to have "trends" in 1790 were not the people Dickens was writing about is the thing to always keep in mind

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Oh god, the banana candle. That has to have been intentional doesn't it?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My roommate has an old 70s jello cookbook, and I physically gagged when I saw -

1) Jello glazed salmon sandwiches

2) A bleu and cream cheese jello salad monstrosity

There's also olives in god damned everything

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

If I remember correctly, pineapples are a symbol of hospitality. I'm from a small town on the East coast that was settled by wealthy Dutch people, and the pre-1800s houses in my town all have pineapples carved somewhere on the front door or pillars.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Unlike the bad jelly site, I would legitimately LOVE to try all those historical jellies; nothing in them sounds bad at all, and some sound quite good.

That being said, rosewater is like, near the bottom of the list of preferred flavors for me.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

InediblePenguin posted:

ed.: here's a really loud video of a jelly wiggling itself to death like an idiot

Seriously, hit mute before you click that link.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Wasabi the J posted:

Unlike the bad jelly site, I would legitimately LOVE to try all those historical jellies; nothing in them sounds bad at all, and some sound quite good.

That being said, rosewater is like, near the bottom of the list of preferred flavors for me.

Well then do I have a flavor of gum you'd just loooooove to try:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrills

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Rosewater is wonderful but you need to be very judicious with it. We use it in the mango lassi where I work (mostly for aroma rather than taste). I like it in cookies.

And yeah, pineapple was a big deal in Victorian England and the rest of Europe at the time

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

bringmyfishback posted:

Really, I agree with this. I'm not crazy about offal, but some well-cooked intestine isn't too bad if you can divorce yourself from the idea of what it is. (I was a vegetarian for almost 20 years, so learning to eat insidey parts of animals took a lot of deep breaths on my part.)

Plus, sometimes they wiggle around when you grill 'em! :science: or maybe that's stomach? Anyways, heart and tongue are legitimately good.

I'm thirding this - there's a brilliant Chinese place near where I live which does a dish of pig intestines cooked in chilli oil. It is SO good.

Also, you can make a really good ragout using lamb heart as the stewing meat. Cheaper than steak, though you do have to trim off the valves and manually pump out any congealed blood with water.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

bringmyfishback posted:

If I remember correctly, pineapples are a symbol of hospitality. I'm from a small town on the East coast that was settled by wealthy Dutch people, and the pre-1800s houses in my town all have pineapples carved somewhere on the front door or pillars.
Hudson Valley? I'm from Columbia County myself

The worst things in early modern recipe books usually turn out to be medicinal in intent rather than, like, food, and as gross as it is to imagine somebody boiling horse dung in wine (for instance) it's a lot better somehow if you know they were only suggesting people could do it if they were sick than if it's something they just did because they liked the taste of boiled horse dung in wine

The other weird things in recipes that old are usually just, like, the sheer variety of animals they'd include recipes for, and the really bizarre Early-Modern-Martha-Stewart presentations they'd suggest. Eat larks for dinner! Serve them by carving hollows inside hard-boiled eggs to nestle the tiny roasted larks inside! A lot of the same poo poo you see in midcentury recipes like the badjelly blog and others linked on this page, only the midcentury recipes are expecting one poor housewife to do all the work instead of the kitchen full of servants assumed in even the least-aspirational says-housewife-on-the-title-page book from the 18th and 19th centuries

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Isn't that a thistle? For like, Scotland or whatever?

E: found it on that blog. Weird. Would the average Victorian-era Brit know what a pineapple was? I still think a thistle makes more sense.

If you think that is a thistle instead of a pineapple I'd really question whether you've seen either.

For real though, the idea of the pineapple is that, like a jelly itself, only the rich can have them. In this case only the SUPER rich, because you need an enormous hothouse to grow the things in Britain. In fact, in london it was possible to rent a pineapple as a centrepiece for a table (if you seal the cut end they stay fresh-looking for ages), but you had to pay a vast security deposit in case a drunk guest ate it. There were also extremely lifelike china pineapples that were used by the slightly less wealthy as centrepieces, because it's chavvy to rent a pineapple.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Conservative blowhard/blogger/historian Edward Blom cooks his "hangover cheese" meal.

It's in Swedish, but it's just him microwaving half a kilo of hard cheese, pouring in some brandy and white wine and eating it with a fork. Then he compares it to a Pizza Capriciosa, "just without the ham and bread".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkdYC8L4Fn0&t=161s

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Vindolanda posted:

If you think that is a thistle instead of a pineapple I'd really question whether you've seen either.

For real though, the idea of the pineapple is that, like a jelly itself, only the rich can have them. In this case only the SUPER rich, because you need an enormous hothouse to grow the things in Britain. In fact, in london it was possible to rent a pineapple as a centrepiece for a table (if you seal the cut end they stay fresh-looking for ages), but you had to pay a vast security deposit in case a drunk guest ate it. There were also extremely lifelike china pineapples that were used by the slightly less wealthy as centrepieces, because it's chavvy to rent a pineapple.

Not really. The stylized prints of them are pretty similar and not being personally aware of the Victorian penchant for pineapple as a status symbol, I don't think I was unreasonable.

http://i.imgur.com/HdFa8Yc.png

http://i.imgur.com/6Z3JBEj.png

http://i.imgur.com/L0vgqZQ.png

http://i.imgur.com/XRmOD6y.jpg

MAKE NO BABBYS has a new favorite as of 15:28 on Nov 6, 2014

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I was linked to this aptly-named collection of foods earlier: Here Are the Grossest Things We Could Find on Pinterest.

For example, the Halloween Vomit Martini.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I was linked to this aptly-named collection of foods earlier: Here Are the Grossest Things We Could Find on Pinterest.

For example, the Halloween Vomit Martini.

Oh but you forgot the best one.

Bologna, cream cheese, and ranch dressing "cake."

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
No no no, you guys got it all wrong!

some website posted:

The pineapple has been a symbol of hospitality since the days of the early American colonies. The legend began with the
sea captains of New England, who sailed among the Caribbean Islands and returned to the colonies bearing their cargo
of fruits, spices and rum.

According to the legend, the captain would spear a pineapple on a fence post outside his home to let his friends know
of his safe return from sea. The pineapple was an invitation for them to visit, share his food and drink, and listen to tales
of his voyage.

As the tradition grew, colonial innkeepers added the pineapple to their signs and advertisements, and bedposts carved
in the shape of a pineapple were a common sight at inns across New England.

The legend has continued to the present, and frequently one sees the pineapple symbol in hotels and restaurants to signal
the presence of hospitality.

So you see, the pineapple was a way for a woman to signal to her illegitame lover not to come around her house, because her sea captain husband had temporarily returned from his journey.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Mouse Dresser posted:

Oh but you forgot the best one.

Bologna, cream cheese, and ranch dressing "cake."

I am ashamed that I am slightly curious about this. Like, curious enough to taste it, not actually make it.

I think the worst idea there might actually be the Bubblegum Fudge:

"I like fudge, but it's just not SWEET enough..."

And apparently the creator has a cupcake tattoo that she is very, very defensive about.

Here are the ingredients:

1 pkt Duncan Hines Bubblegum Frosting Creations mix
1 pkg white chocolate chips
1 can vanilla frosting
Rainbow sprinkles
Chopped Double Bubble gum, if desired

So it's basically a large, hardened lump of frosting with more frosting and chocolate chips? Oh, and sprinkles.

http://thedomesticrebel.com/2012/06/23/bubblegum-fudge/

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I bring you the sad, the lazy,the disgusting, the probably tastes good but I'm not sure.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Is that whitebait on burnt toast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Lonely Virgil posted:

Is that whitebait on burnt toast?

http://spanishfood.about.com/od/spanishfoodfaqs/f/angulas.htm

Please don't eat me!
\

• Locked thread