Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah I always look for that and never see it but then I check my phone anyway just in case.

I could be wrong, but I think Apple Pay just works anywhere with NFC. Lots of places here never jumped on board, but a lot of places in the city (even smaller ones) utilize it out the rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Nothing will pop up on your phone if you're at a merchant that takes NFC, unless you're holding your phone to the reader.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

I could be wrong, but I think Apple Pay just works anywhere with NFC. Lots of places here never jumped on board, but a lot of places in the city (even smaller ones) utilize it out the rear end in a top hat.

No, it should, but some spiteful retailers and restaurants have the ability to take Apple Pay but turned it off. It's annoying.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
There are some readers that don't have that symbol but still have NFC. I noticed one that had a message on it's screen saying you could tap the screen to pay.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I'm going to Walgreens daily just to buy an Arnold Palmer and pay with ApplePay.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Anybody else have an issue with a loose home button on the 6? Mine's wobbly and makes clicky noises with a light touch, making it annoying to use.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Anybody else have an issue with a loose home button on the 6? Mine's wobbly and makes clicky noises with a light touch, making it annoying to use.

My 6 Plus' home button was a little wonky at first, but as I used it it got more solid and how it doesn't click or wobble at all.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

noirstronaut posted:

Around DC it's actually frustrating how few locations accept Apple Pay. It's become amusing asking people at stores about whether they accept Apple Pay. My conclusions are:

80% of the time they look confused and or ask "what is that?"
15% of the time the answer is "not yet"
3% of the time the response is "maybe" and they do
and 2% of the time they say yes

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Agronox posted:

No, it should, but some spiteful retailers and restaurants have the ability to take Apple Pay but turned it off. It's annoying.

I thought the NFC terminal had to support tokenization as well.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
I've been a bit out of the loop, but have the wifi/connectivity issues with 8.x been resolved for the 5s already (or is there a way to roll back to 7.1.2 if I have a local backup)?

Losing connectivity isn't really an option for me so I'm willing to wait if it's still an issue to be addressed.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Christoff posted:

So finally got my 6. Are people actually using apply pay and is it worthwhile?

Also for my fingerprint can I add another one, say my left and right thumb?

Both thumbs and both index fingers for me.

Also the tip of my dick for sexual ApplePay encounters.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Also the tip of my dick for sexual ApplePay encounters.

gonna try this, brb

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

movax posted:

gonna try this, brb

its like a baby arm holding an apple

that holds all my payment information for quick,easy,and safe transactions

also accepted at more places than bitcoin

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

movax posted:

gonna try this, brb

It works, I have a 360 scan of my dick for touch ID, so I can be in literally any position and turn on my phone

with my dick

da weed wizard
Feb 19, 2005

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It works, I have a 360 scan of my dick for touch ID, so I can be in literally any position and turn on my phone

with my dick

steve jobs' greatest legacy

the future is here boys and girls

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'm going to Walgreens daily just to buy an Arnold Palmer and pay with ApplePay.
Arnold Palmers are loving amazing and you should.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Why buy an Arnie Palmie when you can buy a Mango thing.

Also, are there any other places aside from Walgreens and Whole Foods that are actually pushing for Apple Pay customers to come in? Like, not just have NFC, but have launched small campaigns to make it known that they support Apple Pay.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I would like to use Apple pay, but I just don't run into it enough to jusitfy having it on my phone and accidentally paying for someone else's stuff at my store. I removed the card and I'll wait for a software update, see if that fixes it. I'm close to an Apple store if I ever want them to take a look at it, but it isn't that big of a thing yet.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I dunno, the NFC payments stuff is pretty neat. I had never used it before yesterday, and I still haven't used Apple Pay, but I bought a cheap Android handset to take advantage of some SoftCard promotions, and paying via NFC (at least on Android) is like twice as fast as paying via credit card or debit, and probably 3-4x faster than cash. No change to make, no PIN or signature to enter for NFC. In fact, I was able to do 45 separate transactions at a fairly busy Walgreens yesterday in about 35 minutes, and that's with me doing 5 at a time and then jumping to the back of the line to avoid making other customers upset.

I like NFC payments, I guess is what I'm saying!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

At an Apple Store, how do you use ApplePay, since they don't have registers?

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

smackfu posted:

They'd probably rather you just use the Apple Store app.

I tried to use Apple Pay at Pantera Bread and apparently was at the only register not equipped with NFC :( They were all excited too because they said I would've been the first to use it. I may have to actually go to McDonald's to make this happen.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

noirstronaut posted:

Why buy an Arnie Palmie when you can buy a Mango thing.

The correct answer is that he should be buying one of their Lime Rickeys.

I tried using Apple Pay at a Walgreens the other day but either the cashier or I was doing something wrong, it prompted me for my fingerprint and all that but it didn't take. Do you have to keep your finger on the Touch ID sensor when you tap it?

[Edit: Oh yeah, I did use Apple Pay successfully at an Apple Store while I was waiting for a half hour while the genius replaced my Shift key (it came loose out of the box and I made it worse trying to fix it myself), but that obviously didn't involve NFC. It was pretty freaking awesome though and way faster than finding someone to ring me up. Open the Apple Store app, scan item's barcode, press thumb, walk out of store with purchased item. The future is far more futuristic than they originally predicted.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 6, 2014

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
How do they know you bought that thing, though? If they check you you can show your receipt but they usually don't check. It feels so weird.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

smackfu posted:

When I was in there Sunday buying a new iPad, I noticed they had replaced their iPhone-based sale terminals with new ones. The new ones had the tap-to-pay symbol on the back of the case.

I didn't try Apple Pay there, but I presume you could tag your phone to theirs to pay, and probably should do a fist-bump with the salesperson with your other hand at the same time.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Zwille posted:

How do they know you bought that thing, though? If they check you you can show your receipt but they usually don't check. It feels so weird.

Yeah I talked to one of the employees about this once while I was waiting for something and they were like 'eh most people don't steal' and I was kinda surprised they didn't have a system or something. Of course he might have been less than forthcoming with me about APPLE SECRETS

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zwille posted:

My email receipt for the purchase was CC'd to the Apple Store I bought the item at, they probably have someone go through those and update stock records at the end of the day.

In terms of LP, I have a feeling that the store size to employee ratio/usual amount of people in the store is so high that it discourages a lot of would-be shoplifters. I actually had to politely ask an employee helping someone else pick out a bluetooth speaker to move slightly that I could get to the Magic Mice because they were accidentally blocking them off.

Heck, I'm not even sure they employ LP officers (or whatever they're called) full time at Apple Stores, at least not in the mall stores I've been to in the northeast. I generally see a uniformed security officer or two during launches or the holiday season, but that's it.

It also might just be that Apple doesn't mind writing off the occasional pair of EarPods or mouse or whatever that gets swiped, though having worked retail and spent far too much time boxing and spidering products it's a strange concept.

[Edit: Okay, yeah, Apple doesn't really give a poo poo about theft, even from employees.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 6, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bird Law posted:

I tried to use Apple Pay at Pantera Bread

:rock:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

FishBulb posted:

Yeah I talked to one of the employees about this once while I was waiting for something and they were like 'eh most people don't steal' and I was kinda surprised they didn't have a system or something. Of course he might have been less than forthcoming with me about APPLE SECRETS
Same, I asked about it when I was first buying headphones after it all got implemented and their response was "If something gets stolen we have cameras, but people are generally honest and you've got the receipt on your phone anyway."

I might be very wrong, but I think I remember hearing something something about RFID chips in the boxes/barcode stickers of more expensive items that are picked up at the exit of the store that don't go off if one of that item has recently been purchased.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I got a message saying "update failed 9" on my phone earlier today, but I can't find an explanation online on what that means. It's still on iOS 7.1.1 (iPhone 4, so updating to 8 would just slow it down without giving me access to the new features), auto-updates for apps was disabled on cellular network (and wasn't connected to WiFi at the moment), and everything still seems to work fine. Anyone have any idea what this meant or somewhere to find an explanation of iOS error codes?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zwille posted:

They often don't.

There was just a story about a former NBA player in the news who stole like $15k from Apple stores over a little while by making it look like he was using the app.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always walk out holding up my phone with the receipt and flashing it to anyone who glances my way just because it feels so weird to check out yourself.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I always walk out holding up my phone with the receipt and flashing it to anyone who glances my way just because it feels so weird to check out yourself.

I'm amazed you leave the house with your crippling issues.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jolan posted:

(iPhone 4, so updating to 8 would just slow it down without giving me access to the new features),
It would also be impossible since they ended iPhone 4 support with iOS 7.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

lelandjs posted:

My email receipt for the purchase was CC'd to the Apple Store I bought the item at, they probably have someone go through those and update stock records at the end of the day.

There's a dashboard app that the experts and managers have that gets notifications when someone buys something via the app and doesn't require anybody to look at stock. It shows the days history so they definitely know who is or isn't paying. There are no security systems other than the cables that secure displays down and no formal loss prevention is in the store unless absolutely needed. Theft occurs so little and so much money is made per day that no one even really cares.

It's as close to an honor system as you can get.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Duckman2008 posted:

jusitfy having it on my phone and accidentally paying for someone else's stuff at my store
lol what?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

His phone apparently has super NFC that goes off from 30 feet away from a reader.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Quick question: My 5S has a problem where the glass feels sort of loose - like, you can pinch it and sort of feel it click, like a Macbook Pro's trackpad. I keep it in a case and I'm guessing it's covered under Applecare, but should I un-jailbreak my phone before I bring it in? I'm pretty comfortable on 7.1.2, but I just don't want my warranty becoming void because I'm a big evil criminal who commits the mortal sin of installing a PSP emulator on his phone.

Also is it kosher to leave GBA4IOS on my phone, the one you can install without jailbreaking? Or should I nuke that too?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Endless Mike posted:

His phone apparently has super NFC that goes off from 30 feet away from a reader.

He also just mashes his finger onto his home button when it pops up to pay for something he's not buying.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

dutchbstrd posted:

He also just mashes his finger onto his home button when it pops up to pay for something he's not buying.

No, but i do use my finger to unlock my phone, so if i'm distracted while unlocking i could accidentally authorize it. I'll skip over the back and forth stupid debate and let's just say hopefully mine is an anomaly and glad others are working well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

No, but i do use my finger to unlock my phone, so if i'm distracted while unlocking i could accidentally authorize it. I'll skip over the back and forth stupid debate and let's just say hopefully mine is an anomaly and glad others are working well.

Given that yours more or less breaks the laws of physics (NFC doesn't actually operate via RF, it uses inductive coupling which physically doesn't operate beyond a limited distance) I'm pretty sure yours is an anomaly.