Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

It seems a requirement for my Azazel runs to involve Shoop Da Woop.

Killing Mom's Heart with Dead Bird + the leaf that makes you invulnerable makes up for it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

What does the pentagram mean? It was there when I started the run (as Isaac) I've not beaten mom or anything previously. GZWQ 2RHX for reference.

Edit: Oh don't mind me, it ticked hard mode. :downs:

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 6, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CJacobs posted:

It is definitely fun, yes. I played it with my sister who does not often play video games and it was much harder than just single player because of the lack of health to go around. Also she was terrible at it. It was interesting to see what migrates to the second player and what doesn't; tear effects work for both, orbitals leave player 1 and go to player 2, 'trigger on hit' trinkets and items affect both, and so on.

Yeah, local co-op is ridiculously fun, and I play it with my girlfriend almost exclusively now.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the pentagram means you're in hard mode.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Last nights run, I already had Mutant Spider and I picked up Libra. My movement speed went way down, but my fire rate grew to almost obscene speed; it's like the two values were swapped. Is this a known property of Libra?

I was able to beat Mom's Heart for the first time, and with the rapid-fire spread bullets it was a proper bullet hell boss fight.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

The Sezza posted:

I've got both Basement Boy and Spelunker Boy but Samson hasn't unlocked yet. Has anyone else had this problem? Or is there something I'm missing? I figured both of those would qualify as beating 2 levels without taking damage, considering that's the requirement for actually earning those.

It's because the achievements are bugged and only counting floor 2 of anything. I had those same achievements way earlier than I got samson.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
Had my first visit to the Boss Rush room, when playing as Cain. Pretty solid start having the Magic Mushroom and Halo backing up my stats, and Cupid's Arrow to rip through segmented enemies. Tammy's Head didn't help much but the whole experience was a lot of fun, despite having The Bloat (still my least favourite boss) in there. Rewarded with the d10, but I'm still to work out when the best time to use that dice is.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Is there anything to be gained by playing Hard Mode or the challenges, or is it just a "because I can" sort of thing?

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

Jusupov posted:

It's because the achievements are bugged and only counting floor 2 of anything. I had those same achievements way earlier than I got samson.

Ah, okay. I guess that makes sense, I did think it was a little weird that I got both of those so quickly, considering what a middling job I was doing playing. Thanks for the answer.

Sounds like I better get some good Depths/Womb floor 2 runs in before they fix it. :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Is there anything to be gained by playing Hard Mode or the challenges, or is it just a "because I can" sort of thing?

Challenges give unlocks. For example, The Tank unlocks a new consumable that reveals the entire map, including both secret rooms.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Challenges give unlocks. For example, The Tank unlocks a new consumable that reveals the entire map, including both secret rooms.

God...loving drat it.

Better brush up my mojo, then.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Oxxidation posted:

Unless things have changed since then, according to this both hard mode and the challenges have their own unlocks, and unlocking something in hard mode also unlocks the normal mode equivalent so you can ditch Normal altogether if you like.

E: Another thing I realized trying out Normal, coloured enemies are more frequent on Hard and they're around from the start.

E2: And yeah, item drops seem a ton more frequent on Normal, on Hard you can go entire floors without getting keys/bombs/hearts from clearing rooms.

E3: Apparently normal also brings me great luck, I've gone 25 runs or so with no broken combos on Hard and on my first try on Normal I got one of those rooms with six circles, stood in one and it just straight-up gave me a win in the form of all this:

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 6, 2014

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Internet posted:

Yeah, you need to fill it over multiple runs.

So there's an item that gives you a point of invincibility every time you enter a room. Combine that with shielded tears and uh,

Didn't get a change to go to Sheol or Cathedral unfortunately. Is there an achievement for doing those no-hit too?

I need something like this. The no damage achievements are hanging over my head, and I can't stop kicking myself when I take stupid damage and miss them. I think I'm going to try to farm them with Azazel before he's possibly nerfed.

I got the no damage achievements on the original game by accident. I remember getting Mama's Boy because I went down to The Womb, as Guppy, with half a heart, and got the achievement out of necessity, not due to trying for it specifically.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What does faith does?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So... no one is having major trouble eh? Now my Vita save-game is hosed too. Lots of people bitching on Steam forums and Reddit.

I'm jealous going through pages and pages of your experiences with no massive problems loading/keeping a savegame intact.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

I love the fact that you can actually save and continue in this game. What I didn't like so much is that when I tried to continue a run, the game froze, and when I started it up again all my progress had been wiped. I still have all the achievements, but character and item unlocks as well as completed challenges are all gone.

PureQuestion
Oct 15, 2014

Made some stuff. Some of it even didn't suck.
Holy poo poo is Dark Room hard. I mean, yeah, it's supposed to be, but fuuuuuuck. I'm gonna need a miracle of a run to even reach whatever the new boss is.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

teethgrinder posted:

So... no one is having major trouble eh? Now my Vita save-game is hosed too. Lots of people bitching on Steam forums and Reddit.

I'm jealous going through pages and pages of your experiences with no massive problems loading/keeping a savegame intact.

I'm having issues on the PS4/Vita too. The PS4 version now refuses to sync, and that's probably their temp fix for the problem of sync reverting to an older version of a save. I don't know how you write a sync function that doesn't loving check if the save is newer, but Nicalis managed to! So for the moment I'm just playing the game on my Vita only.

Vita version is fine if I play with very low ambient light, but the game looks pretty nice on my giant TV too.

Also, loving lol Azazel is OP. Doing the BRWN SNKE seed with him is hilarious. I got Pay to Win and the petrified poop. So in a minute of farming poop, I could just hammer on the trigger to complete any room. The run went by.. quickly.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Kurtofan posted:

What does faith does?

I think it increases the likelihood of seeing items that would normally only be in Angel rooms. Same with sin, increasing the likelihood of getting Devil room items as rewards.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

MrBims posted:

I think it increases the likelihood of seeing items that would normally only be in Angel rooms. Same with sin, increasing the likelihood of getting Devil room items as rewards.

It probably also increases the likelihood of spirit heart drops, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

ErIog posted:

I'm having issues on the PS4/Vita too. The PS4 version now refuses to sync, and that's probably their temp fix for the problem of sync reverting to an older version of a save. I don't know how you write a sync function that doesn't loving check if the save is newer, but Nicalis managed to! So for the moment I'm just playing the game on my Vita only.

Vita version is fine if I play with very low ambient light, but the game looks pretty nice on my giant TV too.
Yeah it's weird that the Vita one seems significantly darker than PS4. Made me prefer the PS4 when at home.

But got home last night, and PS4 refused to load. I eventually decided to delete the gamedata reasoning that it would sync back from Vita. The game loaded, but instead I got sync errors on both PS4 and Vita. Vita still worked at least and had my game intact.

Now this morning, my Vita version won't load :v:

To my slight consternation, the devs seem to be only focusing on the Steam version at the moment.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

I bet their Vita dev kits have the newer LCD screens instead of the old OLED. LCD has lower contrast than OLED so the dark backgrounds probably don't look as dark. I also bet they never tried to play it outside their office.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Kanfy posted:

E3: Apparently normal also brings me great luck, I've gone 25 runs or so with no broken combos on Hard and on my first try on Normal I got one of those rooms with six circles, stood in one and it just straight-up gave me a win in the form of all this:

Quoting myself because that was hilarious, got every "Boy" achievement 'til Cathedral (and would've gotten them legitimately because nothing ever got even close to me) and beat Isaac without taking a single point of damage. Unlocked Satanic Bible, whatever that does.

Admittedly that was sort of satisfying after all the suffering on Hard. Maybe the most powerful items are rarer on Hard as well, but that's hard to say because the RNG is fickle.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Vengeful fly is very good, almost soloed Mom's Heart.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Vengeful fly is very good, almost soloed Mom's Heart.

Cut and Run is basically like vengeful fly except it's rechargable, gives you flight, lasts 'til everything is dead and doesn't require you to take damage.

I'm surprised it hasn't come up more often, maybe it's just super rare. Looks like a pair of shears.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
:psyduck:

Holy poo poo. Tammy's Head doing a twisting, poisonous, multi-Brimstone attack every room was incredible. I'm sad I couldn't get into Sheol, because that thing would've ruined Satan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So I got what i assume is the ultimate combination.

I started with Azazel because he's broken as gently caress.
I got the "orbiting tears" option which made his attack into effectively a super-damage barrier.
Then I got the "shoot tears in every direction" item. The latter became a gigantic insane damage field that slowed the game down every time I used it. It literally oneshot every single enemy in the game and recharged every level.

Azazel is so goddamn broken it kinda defeats the point of other characters.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I haven't unlocked Azazel because the game hasn't been cooperating with the devil deals. :saddowns:

Also I added http://platinumgod.co.uk/ to the OP.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

ImpAtom posted:

Azazel is so goddamn broken it kinda defeats the point of other characters.

You still want to beat final bosses with each character since there are content unlocks associated with that. Consider Azazel an easy mode to let off steam.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Well this is new for me, guess there's more than items in those hidden hatches.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Kanfy posted:

Quoting myself because that was hilarious, got every "Boy" achievement 'til Cathedral (and would've gotten them legitimately because nothing ever got even close to me) and beat Isaac without taking a single point of damage. Unlocked Satanic Bible, whatever that does.

Admittedly that was sort of satisfying after all the suffering on Hard. Maybe the most powerful items are rarer on Hard as well, but that's hard to say because the RNG is fickle.

So does anyone know what these rooms are yet? I got a "Dice" room that had a floor in the shape of a one-sided die and was upgraded with at least 6 different power ups. It made the game hilariously easy.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I got Spectral Cursed Tears last night with my Magdalene run and lemme tell you, playing as the slowest character in the game + getting teleported to a random room almost every time you take damage really loving sucks!

Still beat Mom's Heart though. :smug:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

The Crusher posted:

So does anyone know what these rooms are yet? I got a "Dice" room that had a floor in the shape of a one-sided die and was upgraded with at least 6 different power ups. It made the game hilariously easy.

You didn't receive more items - it re-rolled all the ones you had collected. That is the effect of the one-sided die room, the others will re-roll different things.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Color Printer posted:

I haven't unlocked Azazel because the game hasn't been cooperating with the devil deals. :saddowns:

Same. I want him bad after seeing how everyone talks about him being broken as poo poo. I have in spite of this managed to unlock Samson who I will put off playing for as long as I possibly can because playing as Samson slowly drains my will to live.

I can see why everyone's so big on Azazel though, flying is absurdly powerful on its own and starting with it is a huge boon to clearing the no damage achievements.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Same. I want him bad after seeing how everyone talks about him being broken as poo poo. I have in spite of this managed to unlock Samson who I will put off playing for as long as I possibly can because playing as Samson slowly drains my will to live.

They changed Samson in this one, by the way: Bloody Lust no longer boosts damage when you kill an enemy. It boosts damage whenever you take damage, and the buff lasts for the whole floor, not just the room. Healing won't undo it either.

EDIT: eve on the other hand is still loving garbage even if they buffed her in some way i haven't noticed

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 6, 2014

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Color Printer posted:

They changed Samson in this one, by the way: Bloody Lust no longer boosts damage when you kill an enemy. It boosts damage whenever you take damage, and the buff lasts for the whole floor, not just the room. Healing won't undo it either.

And the most welcome change is that he starts with three hearts, same as Isaac. The damage boost also seems to have a much higher cap.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Color Printer posted:

EDIT: eve on the other hand is still loving garbage even if they buffed her in some way i haven't noticed

I think Whore of Babylon activates at 1 full red heart now.

Edit. Confirmed the buff to Whore of Babylon just now.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Kanfy posted:

Cut and Run is basically like vengeful fly except it's rechargable, gives you flight, lasts 'til everything is dead and doesn't require you to take damage.

I'm surprised it hasn't come up more often, maybe it's just super rare. Looks like a pair of shears.

In the original game, the Shears didn't unlock until you had died 100 times. I figure not a lot of people have played that many games yet.

Edit: If you find a Devil Room with three red chests, opening the chests doesn't count as a deal with the devil, does it?

And I have yet to run into an eternal heart in the wild. I found a pair in an underwhelming Angel Room.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 6, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

IMJack posted:

In the original game, the Shears didn't unlock until you had died 100 times. I figure not a lot of people have played that many games yet.

Must've been changed then since I got it on launch day and even I haven't managed to die a hundred times that quickly. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you can get infinite sin hearts/soul hearts if you find a room with one of them in it on the ground and those hands that pick you up and take you out of the room since they also make the hearts respawn